What should I expect when upgrading from S95 to S110?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
New Daddy
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
What should I expect when upgrading from S95 to S110?
8 months ago

I see really great deals on S120 these days. (Could it be a sign that a S120 successor is near?) With the average selling price of s95 around $130 on eBay, this means I can upgrade my beloved S95 with roughly $100.

Anyways, what should I expect? The differences will be larger zoom range, touch screen and TTL flash in the manual mode (s95 only had manual flash in manual mode). Anything else? Are there any gotchas? I remember there was an issue with S100 that angered some users, although I can't remember what it was. Is S110 free of that issue?

 New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,787Gear list
Like?
Re: What should I expect when upgrading from S95 to S110?
In reply to New Daddy, 8 months ago

Images with the S100/110 are notably less punchy than the S95 and the WB tends to be cooler, but not really any significant negative differences beyond that that I can think of.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seri_art
Senior MemberPosts: 2,112Gear list
Like?
Re: What should I expect when upgrading from S95 to S110?
In reply to New Daddy, 8 months ago

>TTL flash in the manual mode<

Great improvement that I didn't know they made. It's not on my S100 and I wish it were.

>there was an issue with S100 that angered some users<

Not sure what you're referring to. But my S100 doesn't have Auto ISO available in Manual  mode, a glaring omission to me. Has that been fixed?

New Daddy wrote:

Anyways, what should I expect? The differences will be larger zoom range, touch screen and TTL flash in the manual mode (s95 only had manual flash in manual mode). Anything else? Are there any gotchas? I remember there was an issue with S100 that angered some users, although I can't remember what it was. Is S110 free of that issue?

 seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,776Gear list
Like?
Re: What should I expect when upgrading from S95 to S110?
In reply to New Daddy, 8 months ago

As I think has already been touched on in the few posts here.. there is not really, in my eyes, anything truly very significant about any of the other S series after the S95 which was and still is a great little camera as a true carry-about anywhere.  Frankly nothing would ever convince me to part with my S95 in favour of ANY later one..especially since any of them still involve a not inconsiderable amount of cash.. just to get what is a second-hand model of the S100 anyway..or even S110
If you want to make a REAL addition to your gear..and at no more expense really now than it would be to buy a recent S series..get the G15..I got one at an excellent price..probably as good as I'd have to pay for any later S series..and honestly it is a real GEM.  I think it's about the best compact I've EVER had over a good many years..In spite of it looking a bit chunky (the nature of the build cannot help that) it DOES in fact fit into a shirt top-pocket if you so wish.. and (as I always do) if you have it on a neat corded single-point attachment to the camera, you can carry it around your neck with ease - always ready - and IF you wish..you CAN slip it into a shirt pocket to at least keep it from dangling and it's still easy to use anytime.
It is incredibly good for most compact type shooting..very fast and excellent lens focussing down to an inch or two..better still of course if you switch to Macro for true close shots (I set that on C1 position of the Dial and it's easy to switch)..look around and see what you can get..it makes the S series a waste of money, good as they are.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,776Gear list
Like?
Re: What should I expect when upgrading from S95 to S110?
In reply to ericN2, 8 months ago

A few weeks ago I happened to call by a lovely little local Market Village I always enjoy and I'd completely forgotten my G15.. but I still ALWAYS carry my S95 in my inside jacket pocket for any "emergencies" so I used that. I was still well pleased.. although I KNOW the G15 is an easier one to give me the results of such snap-pics..  but the good old S95 I still regard as well up to any later S-series for general pics - which is really what this camera is mostly about...

http://ejnicho31.zxq.net/Eccleshall2/index.htm

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
New Daddy
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Re: What should I expect when upgrading from S95 to S110?
In reply to ericN2, 8 months ago

ericN2 wrote:

As I think has already been touched on in the few posts here.. there is not really, in my eyes, anything truly very significant about any of the other S series after the S95 which was and still is a great little camera as a true carry-about anywhere. Frankly nothing would ever convince me to part with my S95 in favour of ANY later one..especially since any of them still involve a not inconsiderable amount of cash.. just to get what is a second-hand model of the S100 anyway..or even S110
If you want to make a REAL addition to your gear..and at no more expense really now than it would be to buy a recent S series..get the G15..I got one at an excellent price..probably as good as I'd have to pay for any later S series..and honestly it is a real GEM. I think it's about the best compact I've EVER had over a good many years..In spite of it looking a bit chunky (the nature of the build cannot help that) it DOES in fact fit into a shirt top-pocket if you so wish.. and (as I always do) if you have it on a neat corded single-point attachment to the camera, you can carry it around your neck with ease - always ready - and IF you wish..you CAN slip it into a shirt pocket to at least keep it from dangling and it's still easy to use anytime.
It is incredibly good for most compact type shooting..very fast and excellent lens focussing down to an inch or two..better still of course if you switch to Macro for true close shots (I set that on C1 position of the Dial and it's easy to switch)..look around and see what you can get..it makes the S series a waste of money, good as they are.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Well, I do have my main systems in micro four thirds and Nikon. S95 is purely a pocketable choice for certain occasions. G15 doesn't fit that criteria.

 New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
New Daddy
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
How is the responsiveness of S110?
In reply to New Daddy, 8 months ago

I see some decent deals coming out for S110.

How is the responsiveness of S110? One thing that I don't like about S95 is its slow responsiveness. Maybe it's because I shoot raw, but it takes forever to see playback after I take a shot. During that time, the green light on the back of the camera keeps blinking, indicating that the camera is working hard to process the image.  A couple of years' technology must have given S110 faster processing time, I hope.

 New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim
Jim
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Re: How is the responsiveness of S110?
In reply to New Daddy, 8 months ago

FWIW, you can find the following PCMag Powershot shutter lag test on their site:

 Jim's gear list:Jim's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G15 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
New Daddy
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Re: How is the responsiveness of S110?
In reply to Jim, 8 months ago

)Jim wrote:

FWIW, you can find the following PCMag Powershot shutter lag test on their site:

Thanks for the links. I think the number more relevant for me is "average waiting time between shots". Shutter lag doesn't bother me too much with S95. Below is from PCMag's S95 review. It says 2.78 seconds of waiting between shots, which is consistent with my experience and horrendously long. Well, PCMag says S95 feels very fast, but I come from other interchangeable lens systems, so it feels horribly long to me:

"The S95 takes an average of 2.33 seconds to boot and shoot, you'll wait an average of 2.78 seconds between shots, and shutter lag averages just .55 seconds, so the S95 feels very fast." (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376085,00.asp

Unfortunately PCMag doesn't provide the same "between-shot waiting" time for S110 or S120.

 New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seri_art
Senior MemberPosts: 2,112Gear list
Like?
Re: How is the responsiveness of S110?
In reply to New Daddy, 8 months ago

I always shoot RAW with my S100 and it's way faster than that.

New Daddy wrote:

How is the responsiveness of S110? One thing that I don't like about S95 is its slow responsiveness. Maybe it's because I shoot raw, but it takes forever to see playback after I take a shot. During that time, the green light on the back of the camera keeps blinking, indicating that the camera is working hard to process the image. A couple of years' technology must have given S110 faster processing time, I hope.

 seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads