Only the image matters!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,195
Like?
Only the image matters!
4 months ago

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

All those things matter, because if you ignore them like many your images will be dog doo.

 fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard the picture man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

I agree 100%, but there will be people with different ideas.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,338
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

Knowing how to create the image desired is where the real talent and skill lie.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,195
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to fotolopithecus, 4 months ago

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

All those things matter, because if you ignore them like many your images will be dog doo.

I suppose my argument is that the difference between dull boring images and exciting wow images is much more to do with the eye and imagination of the photographer than it is in the equipment and or techniques used.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

All those things matter, because if you ignore them like many your images will be dog doo.

I suppose my argument is that the difference between dull boring images and exciting wow images is much more to do with the eye and imagination of the photographer than it is in the equipment and or techniques used.

Mark

Actually I take your point if it's "it doesn't matter how you created a great image if it's great."

 fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,195
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to fotolopithecus, 4 months ago

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

All those things matter, because if you ignore them like many your images will be dog doo.

I suppose my argument is that the difference between dull boring images and exciting wow images is much more to do with the eye and imagination of the photographer than it is in the equipment and or techniques used.

Mark

Actually I take your point if it's "it doesn't matter how you created a great image if it's great."

Yes, that is pretty much it ......

It irritates me the constant argument on here that this way or that way is best, it is never ending, yes of course some kit or technique may be better for obtaining a specific image, and some equipment is better suited to getting some images but .....

People can make great images with all sorts of kit and all sorts of techniques!

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to rjjr, 4 months ago

We supply every human like you with key chain camera for $15, and then we´ll see what happens

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,195
Like?
Of course some equipment suits some images ...
In reply to crashpc, 4 months ago

crashpc wrote:

We supply every human like you with key chain camera for $15, and then we´ll see what happens

Of course you are not going to get a photo of an owl in flight with your Samsung S3 or iPhone 4S, but that does not mean you cannot create stunning images with them, because you can.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: Of course some equipment suits some images ...
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

We are repeating the same again and again. Yes. When sun is shining, and nobody moves, and... Well, there eventually comes great image with "soul" in it, and we can excuse the quality. But you still miss some pictures, and it is not comfortable to shoot with, if you want to work with photo and its exposure/exposition.

So I see what some want to say, and I do agree, but it´s not just enaugh for me, I want to be able to catch more of it, don´t miss the oportunity. Why are people so curious about it, or even pushing against?

This is acting in a way of "It does not matter, if you are retarded, and you even can´t catch a ball, because GOD loves you". This is how it´s put here, otherwise good claim, that facts does not matter. While it´s not the goal to get facts, it still applies on you and it does matter in some way. Facts are that burden, which holds us here, so we can´t let it go.

If it does not matter how good a "medium" is, please, read this manual for me:

Canon Manual

Of course, there goes composition, and many things, but as I wanted to show, sometimes facts does matter sometimes If not, well it does not even matter how do I set my camera, or which one I use. Right?

In every situation, you have to assess, what information do you want to bring trough. If it is only information, if it´s mixed content, or it´s just something different. That way facts can have some weight or not. But not generally. So If I choose camera, I choose the one which can do everything, so I don´t miss. See?

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
b traven
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to crashpc, 4 months ago

crashpc wrote:

We supply every human like you with key chain camera for $15, and then we´ll see what happens

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

HONK! Logical Fallacy: Reductio Ad Absurdum.

Advantage Mark_A

-- hide signature --

flickr.com/photos/btraven/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to b traven, 4 months ago

b traven wrote:

crashpc wrote:

We supply every human like you with key chain camera for $15, and then we´ll see what happens

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

HONK! Logical Fallacy: Reductio Ad Absurdum.

Advantage Mark_A

-- hide signature --

flickr.com/photos/btraven/

It is needed, because it is absurd, if you do not look behind "the very best chances" with "sun shining" and so on.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Wilkins
Contributing MemberPosts: 997
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

All those things matter, because if you ignore them like many your images will be dog doo.

I suppose my argument is that the difference between dull boring images and exciting wow images is much more to do with the eye and imagination of the photographer than it is in the equipment and or techniques used.

Mark

Actually I take your point if it's "it doesn't matter how you created a great image if it's great."

Yes, that is pretty much it ......

It irritates me the constant argument on here that this way or that way is best, it is never ending, yes of course some kit or technique may be better for obtaining a specific image, and some equipment is better suited to getting some images but .....

People can make great images with all sorts of kit and all sorts of techniques!

Mark

But the image is already there if you can see it.

Transferring it from your vision onto paper or screen involves all of the above. They're all choices everyone has to make, whether they want to or not. People come here to discuss what the best options are to get the best from their photography.

Also, if only the image matters, where are yours?!!

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
.
Everything to do with the art of photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,195
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, 4 months ago

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

All those things matter, because if you ignore them like many your images will be dog doo.

I suppose my argument is that the difference between dull boring images and exciting wow images is much more to do with the eye and imagination of the photographer than it is in the equipment and or techniques used.

Mark

Actually I take your point if it's "it doesn't matter how you created a great image if it's great."

Yes, that is pretty much it ......

It irritates me the constant argument on here that this way or that way is best, it is never ending, yes of course some kit or technique may be better for obtaining a specific image, and some equipment is better suited to getting some images but .....

People can make great images with all sorts of kit and all sorts of techniques!

Mark

But the image is already there if you can see it.

Transferring it from your vision onto paper or screen involves all of the above. They're all choices everyone has to make, whether they want to or not. People come here to discuss what the best options are to get the best from their photography.

I am not sure they do, look for the best options to get the best out of their photography, because a lot of the discussions on these forums are about cognitive dissonance and dissonance reducing behaviour.

i.e., I just spent or am about to spend, many thousands on this piece of expensive gizmo, please someone else validate my expense and say that I have done the right thing, if only so I can tell my wife / girlfriend / mother!

Hence you get arguments like "yes the Nikon 85mm f1.4 is worth £550 when the 85mm f1.8 is only £200 because the better bokeh is worth that much extra!! to whom and why? anyhow just buy the toy if you want it don't come on here looking for justification!

Also, if only the image matters, where are yours?!!

I used to have a lot of images online. At the moment they are only on my hd..

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, 4 months ago

Well said man...

I forgot to mention, that surprisingly, compact cameras went backwards some way. Some of those had less noise than it does have now, and it also had fast lens, so the quality was SUPERIOR to some of todays compacts. No low-end compact has lens starting under f/3.3, 3.5, some even 3.7 these days, and we are waiting for 4 soon. Well, My old 10x zoom pocketable cam had f/2,8 at start, and something over f/4 at the end. From that time five or six years ago, nothing about IQ has really improved, while mobile phone cams are experiencing rocket science.

Mark_A: No, it´s the best place here to talk about. We are on digital technology, imaging and camera review forum. If you have different opinion, have it. Why so many people have the need to cut on other opinions about quality stuff? Go and eat the 0% meat sausages, drive 30 yr old car, use 10yr old PC. It does not matter if you load the webpage in 1/10s or twenty seconds. We just need better.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Wilkins
Contributing MemberPosts: 997
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

Mark_A wrote:

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

All those things matter, because if you ignore them like many your images will be dog doo.

I suppose my argument is that the difference between dull boring images and exciting wow images is much more to do with the eye and imagination of the photographer than it is in the equipment and or techniques used.

Mark

Actually I take your point if it's "it doesn't matter how you created a great image if it's great."

Yes, that is pretty much it ......

It irritates me the constant argument on here that this way or that way is best, it is never ending, yes of course some kit or technique may be better for obtaining a specific image, and some equipment is better suited to getting some images but .....

People can make great images with all sorts of kit and all sorts of techniques!

Mark

But the image is already there if you can see it.

Transferring it from your vision onto paper or screen involves all of the above. They're all choices everyone has to make, whether they want to or not. People come here to discuss what the best options are to get the best from their photography.

I am not sure they do, look for the best options to get the best out of their photography, because a lot of the discussions on these forums are about cognitive dissonance and dissonance reducing behaviour.

i.e., I just spent or am about to spend, many thousands on this piece of expensive gizmo, please someone else validate my expense and say that I have done the right thing, if only so I can tell my wife / girlfriend / mother!

Hence you get arguments like "yes the Nikon 85mm f1.4 is worth £550 when the 85mm f1.8 is only £200 because the better bokeh is worth that much extra!! to whom and why? anyhow just buy the toy if you want it don't come on here looking for justification!

Well, that's why I'm here, to get an idea of what equipment gives me the best results. Regardless, all these things you've suggested don't matter, do matter, because if you don't choose something from each statement, you won't have an image to show.

Also, if only the image matters, where are yours?!!

I used to have a lot of images online. At the moment they are only on my hd..

Mark

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
.
Everything to do with the art of photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,195
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, 4 months ago

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Only the image matters!

It does not matter whether you use manual or PAS modes...

It does not matter if you shoot jpeg or raw

It does not matter if you shoot Canon or Nikon, or anything else..

It does not matter if you use a point and shoot or a top dslr

It does not matter if you post process or not

It does not matter if you use artificial light

It does not matter if you sharpen or not

For particular images specific techniques or equipment may be required

But only the image matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

Mark

All those things matter, because if you ignore them like many your images will be dog doo.

I suppose my argument is that the difference between dull boring images and exciting wow images is much more to do with the eye and imagination of the photographer than it is in the equipment and or techniques used.

Mark

Actually I take your point if it's "it doesn't matter how you created a great image if it's great."

Yes, that is pretty much it ......

It irritates me the constant argument on here that this way or that way is best, it is never ending, yes of course some kit or technique may be better for obtaining a specific image, and some equipment is better suited to getting some images but .....

People can make great images with all sorts of kit and all sorts of techniques!

Mark

But the image is already there if you can see it.

Transferring it from your vision onto paper or screen involves all of the above. They're all choices everyone has to make, whether they want to or not. People come here to discuss what the best options are to get the best from their photography.

I am not sure they do, look for the best options to get the best out of their photography, because a lot of the discussions on these forums are about cognitive dissonance and dissonance reducing behaviour.

i.e., I just spent or am about to spend, many thousands on this piece of expensive gizmo, please someone else validate my expense and say that I have done the right thing, if only so I can tell my wife / girlfriend / mother!

Hence you get arguments like "yes the Nikon 85mm f1.4 is worth £550 when the 85mm f1.8 is only £200 because the better bokeh is worth that much extra!! to whom and why? anyhow just buy the toy if you want it don't come on here looking for justification!

Well, that's why I'm here, to get an idea of what equipment gives me the best results. Regardless, all these things you've suggested don't matter, do matter, because if you don't choose something from each statement, you won't have an image to show.

So, is it not possible, often likely indeed, that using M PA or S modes you can still often come up with exactly the same picture!

I think a point I am trying to make in this particular sub thread is that on dpreview forums you mainly get people bigging up their own choices, helping to bolster their own argument that they themselves bought wisely. I am not sure following such people, however well intentioned, is wise.

When I started buying lenses I decided, with some help, that fast glass was best and bought f2.8 f1.8 etc lenses. Undoubtedly in lower light they are better but imagine my surprise when I find photographers making really very nice images with lenses that are f4 max aperture and much cheaper!

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,286
Like?
Only life matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

Only life matters!

It does not matter if you breathe

It does not matter if you eat

It does not matter if you have sex

It does not matter if you are married

It does not matter if you have children

It does not matter if you can afford a car

It does not matter if you go on vacation

It does not matter if you're rich or poor

It does not matter if you have a home

It does not matter if you're healthy

It does not matter if your images matter

But only life matters!

So glad I got that off my chest!

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

I think a point I am trying to make in this particular sub thread is that on dpreview forums you mainly get people bigging up their own choices, helping to bolster their own argument that they themselves bought wisely. I am not sure following such people, however well intentioned, is wise.

When I started buying lenses I decided, with some help, that fast glass was best and bought f2.8 f1.8 etc lenses. Undoubtedly in lower light they are better but imagine my surprise when I find photographers making really very nice images with lenses that are f4 max aperture and much cheaper!

Mark

Of course, but there must be some breaking point, where one cannot achieve his goal. Otherwise sheet of paper and pencil is enaugh, because some people can draw so precisely!
See?

Mark_A

Yes. It does not matter if you (not exactly You) are retarded, and you cannot catch a ball, because you have your life and for most GOD loves you...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gloaming
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
Re: Only the image matters!
In reply to Mark_A, 4 months ago

It is a subjective experience met with the integration of many variables.  Imagery, like life, is multidimensional.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads