K30 right upgrade path - K5II or K5IIs or K3? (OR) Just move to Nikon D7100?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
rsenk19
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
K30 right upgrade path - K5II or K5IIs or K3? (OR) Just move to Nikon D7100?
4 months ago

Hello,

I am using K30 with 18-135 WR kit lens as well 35 mm F2.4 prime. So far, I have been enjoying the camera for various family shots. I had a "pinch" feeling when I was trying to shoot a night scene - The AF was struggling with my 35mm F2.4 prime lens. I went to asked the shop representative who sold me the K30 (over Nikon D5200). And he suggested me to upgrade to K3 if I am very particular about low light AF performance.

The K30 is pretty good in terms of performance and handling. As we with family are out recently to enjoy the illuminations of Tokyo street, I am worried that I will not get good pictures due to this lack of AF performance.

Should I consider to upgrade to K3?

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-3-versus-Pentax-K-5-II-versus-Pentax-K-30___914_829_811

From the above dxo comparison, it looks K5II is better than K3 in terms of low light performance and DR. But not sure about the AF performance of K5II or K5IIs.

I need the following :

1. Good AF performance even in low light

2. Good DR 14.x for land scape work

3. Should be good for portrait work

I like to with Pentax. But, now when I look the prices Nikon D7100 looks better than K3 in terms of price:value ratio.

I need your suggestion. Should I wait for the price to go down for K3 or should I take either  K5II or K5IIs ?

Or sell all the stuff of Pentax and move to Nikon system?

Note : Manual focus is good. But, when I try to take a picture of my small kid in the low light situations, MF is little difficult as she runs fast here and there. So, a better AF performance in low light is very essential.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Senthil

rsenk19's gear list:rsenk19's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
karet
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
Re: K30 right upgrade path - K5II or K5IIs or K3? (OR) Just move to Nikon D7100?
In reply to rsenk19, 4 months ago

rsenk19 wrote:

I need the following :

I need your suggestion. Should I wait for the price to go down for K3 or should I take either K5II or K5IIs ?

Note : Manual focus is good. But, when I try to take a picture of my small kid in the low light situations, MF is little difficult as she runs fast here and there. So, a better AF performance in low light is very essential.

Hello,

I just upgraded from K20D to K5 II. I bought it used with 7000 clicks on Marktplaats, the Dutch eBay daughter.

AF-S performance in low light is excellent. AF tracking in AF-C is acceptable but tracking of a small kid will be better with K3.

Can't comment on Dynamic Range.

K5 II is fine for portrait work but that's not the most challenging task with a modern DSLR.

K5 II is excellent value at the moment, either new or second hand from early upgraders. Get a K5 II now and if it falls short of your expectations sell it when the K3 price comes down. Your depreciation on the K5 II will be less than the price drop on a K3 so no money lost there.

External flash on the K5 II is acceptable but I have to make a lot of corrections in Lightroom on my bounced party pictures. Nikon has the best reputation is this is important to you.

Good luck with your choice.

Karet

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andrew Kay
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: K30 right upgrade path - K5II or K5IIs or K3? (OR) Just move to Nikon D7100?

rsenk19 wrote:

I need your suggestion. Should I wait for the price to go down for K3 or should I take either K5II or K5IIs ?

None of the above!

You already have an awesome camera in the K30. I've used one recently with a DA35 f/2.4 to photograph Christmas lights & decorations at a local shopping mall both inside and outside in the dark. I should have used the K30 on a tripod and used Live View/Focus Peaking - but I didn't - just used the viewfinder and handheld the camera - it works just fine.

I reckon Ed has it about right in this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_mHXQkg-k espcially the section starting about 6 minutes into the video.

Best of luck.

Andrew

Andrew Kay's gear list:Andrew Kay's gear list
Pentax K-30
noel2
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?

rsenk19 wrote:

Hello,

I am using K30 with 18-135 WR kit lens as well 35 mm F2.4 prime. So far, I have been enjoying the camera for various family shots. I had a "pinch" feeling when I was trying to shoot a night scene - The AF was struggling with my 35mm F2.4 prime lens. I went to asked the shop representative who sold me the K30 (over Nikon D5200). And he suggested me to upgrade to K3 if I am very particular about low light AF performance.

The K30 is pretty good in terms of performance and handling. As we with family are out recently to enjoy the illuminations of Tokyo street, I am worried that I will not get good pictures due to this lack of AF performance.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-3-versus-Pentax-K-5-II-versus-Pentax-K-30___914_829_811

From the above dxo comparison, it looks K5II is better than K3 in terms of low light performance and DR. But not sure about the AF performance of K5II or K5IIs.

I need the following :

I like to with Pentax. But, now when I look the prices Nikon D7100 looks better than K3 in terms of price:value ratio.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Senthil

The K5IIs is the best camera of the K5 series. The 16MP sensor is better than the 24MP sensor of the K3 in low-light situations. It is now on the way to being discontinued and you can get a very good price for it. If you can get a K5IIs (slightly better than the K5II in image quality) at a good price, it would be a good solution - waiting until the price of the K3 gets reasonable and its initial problems get cleaned up, or for the next generation of Pentax cameras (which would have to be FF if they want to remain in the competition). That is the way I chose, and am sure I made the right choice. A K3 would have added a number of features, but would have not improved image quality and DR.

Kaso
Regular MemberPosts: 374
Like?

rsenk19 wrote:

I am using K30 with 18-135 WR kit lens as well 35 mm F2.4 prime. . . .

But, now when I look the prices Nikon D7100 looks better than K3 in terms of price:value ratio.

For upgrading within Pentax, I'd recommend K-5 IIs.

With a K-30 and two lenses, you haven't made significant investment into the Pentax system. Leaving is not painful. The Nikon D7100 is a great camera. Recently, I had the opportunity to use one for 3 days and liked it a lot.

waynes
Contributing MemberPosts: 910
Like?

First, try single point focusing.

dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
In reply to Kaso, 4 months ago

IMO, you don't need an upgrade. You need better technique for focusing in low light. That Nikon you're thinking of will be noisier at high ISO than your K30. Why pay more for more noise?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-30/20

OPTMEKX7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?

Hands down with K5IIs or the K3, you can't go wrong with either one. The D7100 is nice but there is something in Pentax images that is so pleasing to the eyes. I know, time and time again when we compare pictures at work from co workers who shot C* or N* and Pentax, Pentax shots always look better. No wonder, some guys who went Pentax from C* and N* are well satisfied with their new cameras. AF is not the lone criteria for good photography, it is a whole package, although my K5IIs nails down the AF even in dim light. My 02 cents worth.

cheers,

Rene

rsenk19
Like?
In reply to Andrew Kay, 4 months ago

Thanks for the video link. Really good. K5II or K5IIs are tempting. Though K3 looks good, the DX0 measurements are not that impressive.

The DR comparison data between and K30 and K3 is not impressive.

Nikon D7100 may be good... but somehow I did not like the ergonomics of the gear. I don`t feel good at my hands. I have kept that as my last option. The price of K3 is very high now. So, may not go for that.

Now, the choice is becoming K5II or K5IIs or at the worst case embrace the bear (Nikon D7100).

Cheers,

Senthil

Olympus XZ-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
rsenk19
Like?
In reply to OPTMEKX7, 4 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. Do you feel there will be a significant difference in DR and IQ between K5II and K5IIs. The shop keeper showed some sample pictures of both.. there are minor differences.

In other sense, Will the AA filter less option create any other issues?

Cheers

Senthil

PrakticaB
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?

1. AF low light - K-5II is much better than D7100, and even the present site is admiting that: have a look at the review of K-5II/s - "Standout features" - Low light image quality and AF

K-3 is better than K-5II except for the noise at high ISO - which is logical: higher pixel density = more noise

2 DR - I would say is good enough even on K-30. Have a look to the reviews - i know I already said that, but it's really helpfull

3. Potrait - here is more a question of lenses than camera. I don't see any gain going to Nikon

PrakticaB's gear list:PrakticaB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +2 more
PrakticaB
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?

K-5IIs is definitely sharper than K-5II, and the downside is the moire. The common review of the camera (sorry, no other way!) have a few good examples of that is to be expected.

PrakticaB's gear list:PrakticaB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +2 more
rsenk19
Like?
In reply to PrakticaB, 4 months ago

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. But, I am not understanding the DR concept. The DR capacity of K5II or K5IIs is significantly better than K30 or even K3. According to DX0 data. I will not know until I shoot in real life. The choice between K5II and K5IIs itself mind-boggling....

Cheers,

Andrew Kay
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

rsenk19 wrote:

Now, the choice is becoming K5II or K5IIs or at the worst case embrace the bear (Nikon D7100).

How do you use the photographs you take?

My largest prints are 16"x12" for camera club competitions. At that size, you cannot see any material, consistent difference in image resolution between the K30 and any other camera, irrespective of marque or sensor. I doubt that you will see a repeatable difference unless you print much larger than that or print at that size from small crops.

The K3 might be a little better than the K30 and K5 series cameras using continuous focus when following moving objects - but if you don't take photos of action sports, motor racing or birds in flight, it might not matter to you.

Like all the other cameras mentioned, the K30 has a focus assist light and can focus reliably in the pitch black.

Andrew

Andrew Kay's gear list:Andrew Kay's gear list
Pentax K-30
Brad99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,922
Like?
In reply to PrakticaB, 4 months ago

PrakticaB wrote:

3. Potrait - here is more a question of lenses than camera. I don't see any gain going to Nikon

And the prices of the better Nikon lenses can be scary.  Like £1600 typical for the 70-200 f2.8.  Great lens but no better optically than a £500 Tamron which gains image stabilisation on a Pentax.

Jim in Hudson
Contributing MemberPosts: 936Gear list
Like?

Firstly, do you have the low light focus assist lamp enabled on your K-30? It really works.

Secondly, I've contemplated the same question and have not done anything yet. Some of my reasoning may which may or may not be of any use to you or anyone else.

1) K-30 IQ is excellent

2) If I wish to do any event photography, the K-30 shutter sound is a bit loud (so claims my wife). Any option you're considering solves this.

3) Dynamic range comparisons might have an element of irrelevance now on modern sensors. I come to this possible conclusion as otherwise no one would buy the most popular make of DSLR -- Canon. Does it matter that you can recover five stops in PP versus "almost five" or something like that?

4) If you're planning to use flash, it seems there's little question the K-3 is a big step forward over anything Pentax has sold in the last several years. This shouldn't be discounted as most amateurs just want the thing to work. Pros, obviously, have the skills to manually use flash without much thought, figuring, or time.

This is my way of saying that I'm going to wait for awhile until the K-3 price declines (don't really need a new camera) or Pentax comes out with another model that has many of the K-3's virtues without some of the features that I don't think I'd likely ever take advantage of (dual slots, selectable AA filter). As I said earlier, I don't necessarily think my logic holds for anyone else but if it helps you, all the better.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
dual12
Like?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 4 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

3) Dynamic range comparisons might have an element of irrelevance now on modern sensors. I come to this possible conclusion as otherwise no one would buy the most popular make of DSLR -- Canon. Does it matter that you can recover five stops in PP versus "almost five" or something like that?

I'm guessing that many folks who buy Canon aren't aware of the limitations, and I know for a fact that some of them don't even know what dynamic range is.

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,569Gear list
Like?

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. But, I am not understanding the DR concept. The DR capacity of K5II or K5IIs is significantly better than K30 or even K3. According to DX0 data. I will not know until I shoot in real life. The choice between K5II and K5IIs itself mind-boggling....

Cheers,

If you have the budget to upgrade from the K30 to the K5IIs, and do not forsee many instances of photography involving textiles Ie wedding etc, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one of the last few K5IIs available. It is altogether at another level from the K30 and for most, this is the one to get.

Good luck ...
--
Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm X-E1 +13 more
Jim in Hudson
Contributing MemberPosts: 936Gear list
Like?
In reply to dual12, 4 months ago

dual12 wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

I'm guessing that many folks who buy Canon aren't aware of the limitations, and I know for a fact that some of them don't even know what dynamic range is.

That's true but those who are paying over $3000 for a 5DIII probably aren't ignorant of DR, either.  If that camera has enough DR for professionals (and it must as it might be the #1 selling pro DSLR) then we can all be assured that any Pentax also has enough DR.  If fact, all Pentax cameras have more DR than a 5DIII.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
dual12
Like?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 4 months ago

Most pros already have a gaggle of Canon lenses that they bought years ago when Canon noise performance was tops.  Most aren't going to switch and sell those lenses, especially when the alternative might be worse in focusing, or some other area they value.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads