Is anyone sick of Lightroom color rendition?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Joe Tam
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
Is anyone sick of Lightroom color rendition?
7 months ago

Hi,

I have been using Lightroom since v1.  In March 2013 I started using Capture One 7 because of issues with color rendition on the Nikon D4 with Lightroom.  I just wasn't getting the right color rendition even when Lightroom 5 came out.  (The beta 3/4 profiles for d3 and D700 by Eric Chan helped out with output on those cameras)

Switching to C1 Pro 7 was a godsend.  Stuff looked great right off the bat.  Skin tones looked wonderful.  Even compared to my Lightroom images with Colorchecker Passport custom profiles and white balance.  I had to do very little to my files.

Are you getting great color rendition with D4(or other newer cameas) on Lightroom 5?  I really

I just got the Panasonic GX7 with 12-24mm olympus lens and under Kino lights the JPG's looked fantastic but with Colorchecker custom profile and white balance the Lightroom images looked lame. I can't use C1 Pro 7 because it doesn't support GX7 files yet.

Just wondering if the same thing is happening to you?

I love the adjustment tools in LR but just frustrated with the color.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +16 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bing Chow
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
Re: Is anyone sick of Lightroom color rendition?
In reply to Joe Tam, 7 months ago

Can you share samples of both? I'm curious as to what you consider to be good vs poor colour rendition.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bing Chow, 7 months ago

Just curious, did you happen to compare the LR results with NX2?   I don't know about LR's color rendition, but I could never get used to the LR format, so stuck with NX2 and still get great color.

-- hide signature --
pluton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,109
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, 7 months ago

It is a generally accepted truism that while CNX, PhotoNinja, and Capture One produce prettier files on initial raw conversion, LR/ACR can do equally as well with a few adjustments, or a create-your-own profile applied to the files upon import to LR.

I have encountered found a few cases, however, in which it took a long time...maybe 1/2 hour-- working in LR in order to duplicate the color rendition achieved on initial conversion in PhotoNinja.

I am still willing to endure the occasional LR lackluster color in order to avoid the olde-tyme one-file-at-a-time raw conversion workflow.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

Joe Tam
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, 7 months ago

I love the tools for editing images in Lightroom. The radial and gradient tools are awesome in LR. I find the tools in Cap One(especially gradient tool) do not work as well for image adjustments.

I just remembered I had Aperture 3.5.1 on my laptop. I haven't used it in ages but found out GX7 files were now supported. I loaded it up and was blown away. Color rendition out of the box was simply amazing compared to LR.  In fact, it pretty much matched the JPEG's I shot along with the RAW.

This is great news as I did not want to have to Colorchecker Passport every photo I shoot just to get a workable file.

I loaded up some D4 files and they looked great too. Just a little bit of tweaking and they were looking great.

I am glad I don't have to resort to Huelight or other stopgaps I had to invest in when I got the D4 and Lightroom didn't work very well.

BTW, my Mac system is calibrated on a NEC PA271 monitor and I am on Mavericks.

My question is:  how is LR so popular if the color rendition is less than stellar?  I am only using Nikon(Used D3, D700, D800, and D4) , Panasonic GX7, and two Canon (G9 &G10) bodies and I find it to be really lacking.  I went back to all my old files and found Capture 1 brought new life to them.

Ernie Misner wrote:

Just curious, did you happen to compare the LR results with NX2? I don't know about LR's color rendition, but I could never get used to the LR format, so stuck with NX2 and still get great color.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +16 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

I have been using Lightroom since v1. In March 2013 I started using Capture One 7 because of issues with color rendition on the Nikon D4 with Lightroom. I just wasn't getting the right color rendition even when Lightroom 5 came out. (The beta 3/4 profiles for d3 and D700 by Eric Chan helped out with output on those cameras)

Switching to C1 Pro 7 was a godsend. Stuff looked great right off the bat. Skin tones looked wonderful. Even compared to my Lightroom images with Colorchecker Passport custom profiles and white balance. I had to do very little to my files.

Are you getting great color rendition with D4(or other newer cameas) on Lightroom 5? I really

I just got the Panasonic GX7 with 12-24mm olympus lens and under Kino lights the JPG's looked fantastic but with Colorchecker custom profile and white balance the Lightroom images looked lame. I can't use C1 Pro 7 because it doesn't support GX7 files yet.

I am  a rank amateur, was never satisfied with LR colors (I used LR3). No matter what tweaking, best I can say is that there was 'no life' to them, if that makes any sense.

Great workflow tool and very good at fast adjustments, probably why it is so popular.

Got C1 7 Express a few months ago and pleased as punch. LOVE the colors and I also got Photoninja, gives good RAW file output there too and easy / fast workflow.

Interestingly, since getting C1 the only Nik tool in the bundle I have, that I have touched, is Silver Efex.

Each to their own, but I have now deleted LR and just use PS6 as my 'back end editor and plugin host'.

In summary, I agree.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Michael Gebauer
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
Camera Profiles will be your friends

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

I have been using Lightroom since v1. In March 2013 I started using Capture One 7 because of issues with color rendition on the Nikon D4 with Lightroom. I just wasn't getting the right color rendition even when Lightroom 5 came out. (The beta 3/4 profiles for d3 and D700 by Eric Chan helped out with output on those cameras)

Switching to C1 Pro 7 was a godsend. Stuff looked great right off the bat. Skin tones looked wonderful. Even compared to my Lightroom images with Colorchecker Passport custom profiles and white balance. I had to do very little to my files.

Are you getting great color rendition with D4(or other newer cameas) on Lightroom 5? I really

Color rention in Lightroom is superb, if you use the right camera profiles. Using Colorchecker passport is the easiest way to create optimal camera profiles and have a consistent color rendition. If you use different camera bodies this will help you to achieve consistent results across these bodies & brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hN6TzXdbNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecdWaaagcfQ

Kind regards

Michael

Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?

I'd agree that the Adobe Standard profile colour rendition is not great, but the newer profiles you mentioned (the "Camera..." profiles) for my Nikon cameras (D800, D300) to my judgement are very close to the Nikon equivalent picture controls, as one gets with Capture NX2.  In fact, I'd say on balance that the colour rendition of LR with those profiles is as good as or better than Nikon Capture NX2.

However, I've never used Capture One, so I can't comment on that.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,598Gear list
Like?
In reply to pluton, 7 months ago

pluton wrote:

I am still willing to endure the occasional LR lackluster color in order to avoid the olde-tyme one-file-at-a-time raw conversion workflow.

I can't imagine batch processing something as variant as photo images.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. Just say NO! to MAIL-IN REBATES.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
The Andy G
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?

Joe Tam wrote:

I love the tools for editing images in Lightroom. The radial and gradient tools are awesome in LR. I find the tools in Cap One(especially gradient tool) do not work as well for image adjustments.

I just remembered I had Aperture 3.5.1 on my laptop. I haven't used it in ages but found out GX7 files were now supported. I loaded it up and was blown away. Color rendition out of the box was simply amazing compared to LR. In fact, it pretty much matched the JPEG's I shot along with the RAW.

This is great news as I did not want to have to Colorchecker Passport every photo I shoot just to get a workable file.

I loaded up some D4 files and they looked great too. Just a little bit of tweaking and they were looking great.

I am glad I don't have to resort to Huelight or other stopgaps I had to invest in when I got the D4 and Lightroom didn't work very well.

My question is: how is LR so popular if the color rendition is less than stellar? I am only using Nikon(Used D3, D700, D800, and D4) , Panasonic GX7, and two Canon (G9 &G10) bodies and I find it to be really lacking. I went back to all my old files and found Capture 1 brought new life to them.

Nice humble brag but can you perhaps post some samples? This will make the discussion more useful to you.

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,397
Like?

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

Not me.  Of course, I'm not comparing to Capture One 7 but the colors I get (tweak) from LR4.4 look spot on to me.

cuol
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

I have tried LR many times over the years, with Colorchecker, without, free profiles, my own adjustments, everything. Color is the one thing keeping me from LR. The tools are great, the detail is the best, and the speed is great, but the color always leaves me wanting.

cuol's gear list:cuol's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +1 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,995
Like?

Joe Tam wrote:

My question is: how is LR so popular if the color rendition is less than stellar?

LR has become pretty well standard issue for pro use. Use the right profiles and you can get great results (I use camera neutral profiles). I'm more than happy.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 7,993Gear list
Like?

No, no problem, since you asked. I like it a whole lot better than CNX2.  It's absolutely gorgeous with the D800e.  Capture One I tried twice and hated the color both times,  Between Adobe Standard, Camera Standard and Camera Neutral, I always get what works, at least for me.

Jim Mohundro
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 7 months ago

I'm not so sure that "color rendition" is amenable to objective analysis, ColorChecker notwithstanding.  I believe color rendition acceptability is wholly subjective.  Some photographers want their "final" images, i.e., those with some or no post-processing to look just like their body-back LCD.  Some happily shoot just jpgs.  For those who shoot RAW,  I believe one's satisfaction with color tendition is wholly subjective; some are quite satisfied with Nikon software, some with third party software like dXo or Lightroom, which I use.  Solely for my own aesthetic resonse, I'm quite comfortable with Lightroom and the so-called "neutral" D2X Type II Nikon profile is my starting point when I intake images into Lightroom.  That rendition is quite often one, for me, that works well with little or no further tweaking with Lightroom's excellent tools.

So, for me the Nikon profile I've selected after a fair amount of experimentation simply works.  A wonder of digital post-processing is that we indeed can find (even invent)  a color rendition best for us, one that does't have to be best for anybody else.  I settled on the Nikon D2X Type II profile for my D80 and have comfortably stayed with it for my Nikons Ds 200, 300 and 700.  I've also found Nikon D2X Type II Lightroom presets that have done a remarkably close job of emulating "my" Nikon "look" on my travel cameras, a Panasonic GF1and GX1.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Jim Mohundro's gear list:Jim Mohundro's gear list
Nikon D610
retro76
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?

I agree. I have never cared for Lightroom's color and have been using it for years. A few months back I bought a Mac Pro retina and decided to give Aperture a spin, all I can say is that Lightroom went into the trash bin lol, Apertures default rendition is beautiful, fantastic color and skin, tone, and detail.

rkumar
Regular MemberPosts: 408
Like?
"neutral" D2X Type II Nikon profile
In reply to Jim Mohundro, 7 months ago

Is this a Lightroom option?

Thanks

Jim Mohundro
Like?
Re: "neutral" D2X Type II Nikon profile
In reply to rkumar, 7 months ago

Yes.

I seem to remember that Types I and III are also available, but I'm away from my desktop PC and Lightroom 5.  I'll post later.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Nikon D610
Jim Mohundro
Like?
Re: "neutral" D2X Type II Nikon profile
In reply to Jim Mohundro, 7 months ago

And here's a gratuitus p.s.:  My son is a Canon guy and his colors are different from mine.  We're still friends and relatives, and recognize that neither the Nikon nor the Canon rendering is better; they're just different.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Nikon D610
Joe Tam
Like?
In reply to The Andy G, 7 months ago

By "humble brag" do you mean: "Subtly letting others now about how fantastic your life is while undercutting it with a bit of self-effacing humor or "woe is me" gloss.

If so, you are wrong about the point of my post.  Cameras and software are tools.  Nothing more. Point of my question is why Lightroom is so popular when the color rendition is so bad with so many cameras.

Skintones are especially bad compared to C1 Pro.  I also noticed the reds(especially flames) look really off in LR.

The Andy G wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

I just remembered I had Aperture 3.5.1 on my laptop. I haven't used it in ages but found out GX7 files were now supported. I loaded it up and was blown away. Color rendition out of the box was simply amazing compared to LR. In fact, it pretty much matched the JPEG's I shot along with the RAW.

My question is: how is LR so popular if the color rendition is less than stellar? I am only using Nikon(Used D3, D700, D800, and D4) , Panasonic GX7, and two Canon (G9 &G10) bodies and I find it to be really lacking. I went back to all my old files and found Capture 1 brought new life to them.

Nice humble brag but can you perhaps post some samples? This will make the discussion more useful to you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads