35mm F2. It does OK

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
mandophoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 504
Like?
35mm F2. It does OK
8 months ago

The 35mm F2 AF D is not as sharp as the 1.4, and must be stopped down to get the corners in, nevertheless that light, little F2 lens does OK.

Sorry, the EXIF stuff is missing.

D800, 35mm F2 AF D, F8, 250/sec., ISO 200

Tucson AZ, 2013

PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm F2. It does OK
In reply to mandophoto, 8 months ago

The 35mm f2 is one of the most criticized but underrated lenses ever discussed on this forum.  I have one too and consider it a bargain for what it delivers, which is f2 street shooting and near-macro close-focusing capability at a very cheap price given the lens speed.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudivanS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,301Gear list
Like?

Yes, it does ok. I like mine around f5.6 - f8. It's non nano coated to a good lens hood is a must.

Wish Nikon would release a new 35mm f1.8 - small, light and not too pricey.

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer
'15 years in bladerunner Tokyo - back in sunny Sydney now'

RudivanS's gear list:RudivanS's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Canon Pixma Pro-10
gnet158
Senior MemberPosts: 2,005
Like?
In reply to RudivanS, 8 months ago

The 35mm f2 D is one of the lenses I regret selling.  Small, lightweight, and very sharp.

-- hide signature --

I got to get out and shoot more.

mandophoto
Like?

RudivanS wrote:

Yes, it does ok. I like mine around f5.6 - f8. It's non nano coated to a good lens hood is a must.

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer

From my experience, the 35mm F2 D has great flare control. I have two other D lenses, a 24 f2.8 D and a 50 F1.4 D, neither of which was usable in the situation below because of big flare problems. Undoubtedly better lens coatings is one of the valid reasons to buy new G, nano coated lenses. However, I would buy the 35 F2 D again if need be because as you suggested, the choices are rather narrow.

Tucson AZ, 2010

Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 727Gear list
Like?
In reply to PSCL1, 8 months ago

PSCL1 wrote:

The 35mm f2 is one of the most criticized but underrated lenses ever discussed on this forum. I have one too and consider it a bargain for what it delivers, which is f2 street shooting and near-macro close-focusing capability at a very cheap price given the lens speed.

When I had one, it was my go-to lens for tabletop shooting. I didn't find that I used it much otherwise on DX, but always for that one purpose.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +7 more
JurassicPizza
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?
In reply to gnet158, 8 months ago

gnet158 wrote:

The 35mm f2 D is one of the lenses I regret selling. Small, lightweight, and very sharp.

I absolutely regret selling mine, which I did after getting a 35/1.8 DX - and a year or two later I converted to FX.  The 35/1.8 actually does great in 1.2 crop mode on my D800E as a 42mm equivalent, and I prefer it to a 50/1.8, although remembering to set the crop mode (and more importantly to set it back later) is a pain.

-- hide signature --
 JurassicPizza's gear list:JurassicPizza's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,523Gear list
Like?

mandophoto wrote:

The 35mm F2 AF D is not as sharp as the 1.4, and must be stopped down to get the corners in, nevertheless that light, little F2 lens does OK.

I'm glad I listened to Rudivan re this lens. It's a sharp lens, best treated as if its a F2.8 lens. Bokeh isn't great, but F4 through F8 its very sharp in the centre. Here's one of Westminster:

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810
mandophoto
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 8 months ago

Great photograph, nicely done.

rudyr
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?

It's no where near as sharp as my 50/1.8G, but I find the 35mm focal length to be more to my liking. The size is also very "carry friendly" as a walk-around lens on the D600, which led to my decision to go with the simple Nikon 35/F2 over the incredible Sigma 35/1.4. Ideally, Nikon would update their 1.8G lineup to add a 35mm in there as that would be, for me, an ideal balance of modernized optics + reasonable size.

I actually think a 35/1.8G around $500-600$, or even a 35/2 w/ VR like Canon's, would be a better competitor for Nikon vs. the Sigma than trying to revamp the expensive 35/1.4.  I don't think they can ever bring the 35/1.4's optical qualities to a level that people will pay more for that lens vs the Sigma.

RudivanS
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 8 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

mandophoto wrote:

I'm glad I listened to Rudivan re this lens. It's a sharp lens, best treated as if its a F2.8 lens. Bokeh isn't great, but F4 through F8 its very sharp in the centre. Here's one of Westminster:

Well executed shot! Glad you like the little lens and thanks for the follow up

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer

Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,536
Like?

I prefer the manual focus AI version

The Andy G
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?

I believe this lens won a photographer photo of the year last year. It was the one of the woman in a Niquab holding her dead son.

-- hide signature --

Wait for the bright flash so I can steal your soul. Smile!

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Even after getting the Sigma 35mm 1.4 I kept my 35 f2 just for its compact size, it performs quite well on the D800E even wide open but on the D600 it's horrid, I tested it out on my Df and while the out of focus rendering is a little harsh (which I can fix in post) it's quite a good lens and will see quite a bit of use on my Df

bigconig
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?

RudivanS wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer

Looks like your wish may come true. (I've been waiting for this one too)

Nikon 35mm 1.8G

-- hide signature --
 bigconig's gear list:bigconig's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
philm5d
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
In reply to bigconig, 8 months ago

On the basis of the 35mm F2-AF-D I bought the f1.4 G and was sorely disappointed . Sold it and lost a packet but glad I retained the dinky F2. Mind you I had the oily iris problem but an inexpensive clean up and service cured that. One of my favourite lenses.

RudivanS
Like?
In reply to bigconig, 8 months ago

bigconig wrote:

RudivanS wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer

Looks like your wish may come true. (I've been waiting for this one too)

Nikon 35mm 1.8G

-- hide signature --

That is really good news! At long last ..

-- hide signature --

Rudi - freelancer

Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?

Anyone can comment on using this lens with the D700? Is it at least "usable after PP" wide open?

webfiero
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sener, 8 months ago

I used the 35mm F2 for a couple of years and because it makes my D700 easier to carry around I've just leave it on the camera.  I am a rank novice but love the hobby.  With that said, I find this lens exceeds my expectations on speed of focus and sharpness.  Here's a shot I took earlier this year at a MECUM auction.

webfiero's gear list:webfiero's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +1 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,754Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sener, 8 months ago

I always liked the 35f2. It's *really* sharp in the center, but mediocre in the corners on FX. So is my 24F2.8 AF-D, but the 35's character seems better somehow.

Anyway, when I got a D700 I took a number of my lenses out to do some walk-around test shooting and get used to corner performance, depth of field, and focal length. This after several years of shooting DX. I put up my test shots here, so you should be able to get some idea of whether or not you think it's adequate on a D700:

http://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/35f2/index.html

I included a brick wall test at many apertures, though it was handheld, and several DOF evaluation shots.

I recently tried it briefly on my D800e, and the differences between the corners and center seemed even more magnified.  (That is, the center is even sharper than I had thought, but the corners are still mediocre at best wide open to a bit stopped down).   Since I now have a Sigma 35F1.4, I don't use the old 35F2 anymore.

If you shoot it on FX, just be aware of corner and edge issues and avoid greatly off-centered compositions.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads