EM-1 Owners have you tried this?

Started Dec 15, 2013 | Discussions
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
Dec 15, 2013

I have owned my EM-1 for 3 weeks and was just playing around with it tonight when I discoverd the FRAMES mode on the Mode dial...Spent an hour or so playing around with all the options...I had no idea You could have so many different frame options....to my knowledge the EM-1 is the first Olympus camera to offer this unique feature but I'm not sure...At any event,if you haven't discovered it yet give it a try.This camera continues to amaze me.

DaveLemi
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

David Gore wrote:

I have owned my EM-1 for 3 weeks and was just playing around with it tonight when I discoverd the FRAMES mode on the Mode dial...Spent an hour or so playing around with all the options...I had no idea You could have so many different frame options....to my knowledge the EM-1 is the first Olympus camera to offer this unique feature but I'm not sure...At any event,if you haven't discovered it yet give it a try.This camera continues to amaze me.

I found it and immediately assigned myset 2 to it.

 DaveLemi's gear list:DaveLemi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,820
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to DaveLemi, Dec 15, 2013

DaveLemi wrote:

David Gore wrote:

I have owned my EM-1 for 3 weeks and was just playing around with it tonight when I discoverd the FRAMES mode on the Mode dial...Spent an hour or so playing around with all the options...I had no idea You could have so many different frame options....to my knowledge the EM-1 is the first Olympus camera to offer this unique feature but I'm not sure...At any event,if you haven't discovered it yet give it a try.This camera continues to amaze me.

I found it and immediately assigned myset 2 to it.

OK, I'll bite.

What is the Frames option and what, exactly, does it do?

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to fotophool, Dec 15, 2013

It allows you to select from a variety of multiple exposure type frames including B&W.....So many choices,I had a lot of fun playing around with them all....just have a look and enjoy if you have the EM-1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

BTW...I was using the 45mm 1.8 and experimenting with TV shots .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

Its ts actually called "Photo Story" on the mode dial....pretty cool

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

Here is some info:

Olympus say the photo story feature will bring out the user's artistic abilities and powers of expression when shooting. We look at the feature a little more closely to see how it exactly works and how a photographer could put the feature to use.

What exactly is the feature?

Well, photo story allows you to capture a scene from multiple viewpoints and combine them into a single image, a bit like a story board. It's great for events such as birthdays or gatherings of friends, where lots of things are happening at once.

Which cameras feature Photo Story mode?

Currently, the Olympus XZ-10 and PEN E-P5 are the only two cameras to feature the mode, as it is relatively new.

How do you access it?

Photo Story is one of the options on the mode dial of your camera. There are different themes to choose from, including standard, speed, zoom in/out and fun frame. As both of the cameras have a touch screen, you then simply touch inside the frame to take the shot and fill a section of the story.

What can you change?

Photo Story is a really flexible feature, that you can easily personalise by using type, effect, frame aspect ratio and number of images according to the chosen theme. The finished image can be checked in live view, and you can then continue to shoot various types of images.

Photo Story is ideal for capturing moments that you want to remember vividly, as the multiple viewpoints make it easier for you to put yourself in the captured scene. It's great for spur of the moment opportunities, for example a bottle of champagne being opened. In speed setting, simply drag your finger across the screen to capture one image after the other, capturing the bottle mid pop.

For more information on the PEN E-P5 and XZ-10, visit the Olympus website.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,820
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

David Gore wrote:

Here is some info:

Olympus say the photo story feature will bring out the user's artistic abilities and powers of expression when shooting. We look at the feature a little more closely to see how it exactly works and how a photographer could put the feature to use.

What exactly is the feature?

Well, photo story allows you to capture a scene from multiple viewpoints and combine them into a single image, a bit like a story board. It's great for events such as birthdays or gatherings of friends, where lots of things are happening at once.

Which cameras feature Photo Story mode?

Currently, the Olympus XZ-10 and PEN E-P5 are the only two cameras to feature the mode, as it is relatively new.

How do you access it?

Photo Story is one of the options on the mode dial of your camera. There are different themes to choose from, including standard, speed, zoom in/out and fun frame. As both of the cameras have a touch screen, you then simply touch inside the frame to take the shot and fill a section of the story.

What can you change?

Photo Story is a really flexible feature, that you can easily personalise by using type, effect, frame aspect ratio and number of images according to the chosen theme. The finished image can be checked in live view, and you can then continue to shoot various types of images.

Photo Story is ideal for capturing moments that you want to remember vividly, as the multiple viewpoints make it easier for you to put yourself in the captured scene. It's great for spur of the moment opportunities, for example a bottle of champagne being opened. In speed setting, simply drag your finger across the screen to capture one image after the other, capturing the bottle mid pop.

For more information on the PEN E-P5 and XZ-10, visit the Olympus website.

Maybe you could post an example?

fotophool

My Flickr Pics

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
twenty200
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to DaveLemi, Dec 15, 2013

DaveLemi wrote:

I found it and immediately assigned myset 2 to it.

I did this too.  I love this camera, but I'd have been happier if the dial only had M, A, S, P, Video, and U1, U2, U3, U4 for user defined MySet setups.  I might not even need Movie, since the option to record video is available in M, A, S, & P.

I'm glad the EM1 has all of the features it has...  even the silly stuff like Art Filters (though I'll probably never even touch most of them).

-- hide signature --

This is the world, the way I see it: http://twenty200.com

 twenty200's gear list:twenty200's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cfh25
Contributing MemberPosts: 845
Like?
...or as the rest of the photographic world..
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

...calls it - collage

http://www.panoramio.com/user/50820

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,306Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

To me, it is the most superfluous feature of the E-M1. A waste of time even to try it. I have no clue, how this one could find its way into a camera of this level. I use the dial position for a Myset and would have preferred if Olympus had given dedicated dial positions (C1 ... C4) for each Myset.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

 tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Gore
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

There are many templates to choose from.This is the 2 frame one which I think is kind of neat.

http://www.pbase.com/dsg2/image/153786789/original

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Phil Rose
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,444Gear list
Like?
There are so many
In reply to David Gore, Dec 15, 2013

…really basic and photographically important firmware options that this camera could benefit from, yet Oly chooses to spend resources on this kind of thing?

I know, "different strokes for different folks". To me a feature like this is "cute" but is little better than if they'd use our precious firmware space to include pacman or tetris on that "pro" camera screen...

Phil

-- hide signature --
 Phil Rose's gear list:Phil Rose's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted010614
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to tgutgu, Dec 16, 2013

tgutgu wrote:

To me, it is the most superfluous feature of the E-M1. A waste of time even to try it. I have no clue, how this one could find its way into a camera of this level. I use the dial position for a Myset and would have preferred if Olympus had given dedicated dial positions (C1 ... C4) for each Myset.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

I agree but there are a lot of people buying this camera with with more money than sense who think an expensive camera will take good picture for them. Those folks will want this kind of point and shoot feature. Most people actually who know what to do with a tool like this would rather scratch the offensive logos off the dial with a knife and pait C1, C2... in their place, myself included.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted010614
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 16, 2013

David Gore wrote:

There are many templates to choose from.This is the 2 frame one which I think is kind of neat.

http://www.pbase.com/dsg2/image/153786789/original

Wow, that's neato! Who needs photographic knowledge or artistic talent when you have this neat feature. Olympus should just remove PSAM and have more dial positions for junk like this.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,217Gear list
Like?
Re: There are so many
In reply to Phil Rose, Dec 16, 2013

I wish they had limited the features of this camera to those of a film camera. All I want from my camera is for it to produce images of great quality. I don't want any fluff in my cameras.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to David Gore, Dec 16, 2013

I have owned my EM-1 for 3 weeks and was just playing around with it tonight when I discoverd the FRAMES mode on the Mode dial...Spent an hour or so playing around with all the options...I had no idea You could have so many different frame options....to my knowledge the EM-1 is the first Olympus camera to offer this unique feature but I'm not sure...At any event,if you haven't discovered it yet give it a try.This camera continues to amaze me.

It is pretty well implemented. I've played with it some and came across impressed. It was on one of the XZ series cameras first.

If you use the app on the iPhone you can add some stamps to the photos afterwards.

 CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mrmiguel
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Dec 16, 2013

I have reassigned all the "fun" stuff on the mode dial to the custom presets. Funny how there are four spots that are entirely superfluous that can be used for that.

It's a neat feature, but I already have a collage app I prefer on the iphone and it has a ton of options.

 mrmiguel's gear list:mrmiguel's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted010614
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: EM-1 Owners have you tried this?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Dec 16, 2013

CharlesTokyo wrote:

I have owned my EM-1 for 3 weeks and was just playing around with it tonight when I discoverd the FRAMES mode on the Mode dial...Spent an hour or so playing around with all the options...I had no idea You could have so many different frame options....to my knowledge the EM-1 is the first Olympus camera to offer this unique feature but I'm not sure...At any event,if you haven't discovered it yet give it a try.This camera continues to amaze me.

It is pretty well implemented. I've played with it some and came across impressed. It was on one of the XZ series cameras first.

If you use the app on the iPhone you can add some stamps to the photos afterwards.

Ohhh stamps! Now I get it, we take a point n shoot picture with our "pro ;-)" camera and have fun with it on our phone stamping it up. Its like a camera for scrap bookers and 6 year olds! N i i i i i ce!

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads