Fotodiox Thumb Grip for GX7 - get yours now!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Birk Binnard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,683
Like?
Fotodiox Thumb Grip for GX7 - get yours now!
8 months ago

What an amazing addition/improvement!

Based on a posting I saw here I ordered mine from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D62VZBW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The grip virtually transforms the camera (no, this is not hyperbole!) - not only does it make the camera rock-steady when held, it totally enables single-hand shooting - even with my Panasonic original/heavy 14-140 lens.  Here are some notes about the grip:

1. It replaces the black plastic hotshoe cover that ships with the GX7 and attaches with no tools or set screws.

2. The grip is black (as is my GX7) and when attached there are no nasty shiny parts showing.

3. Even with the Panasonic add-on eyecup installed (which I have and also highly recommend) the grip installs with just slightly more than moderate pressure.  Once installed it will clearly not ever fall out or off.

4. As I noted, the grip is a huge improvement in handling comfort and feel.  I was really surprised at how much nicer the camera is to hold with the grip installed.

5. The grip does NOT interfere with the popup flash or the MF/AF/AE Lock control.

6. The grip does NOT interfere with the flip-up EVF.

7. The grip appears to be made from powder-coated machined aluminum and is very light weight.  It has no effect on the camera balance.

I know there are other grips available on EBay for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of this one but I would not want to risk them.  This one is just perfect.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com/photography;

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Fotodiox Thumb Grip for GX7 - get yours now!
In reply to Birk Binnard, 8 months ago

Birk Binnard wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D62VZBW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The grip virtually transforms the camera (no, this is not hyperbole!) - not only does it make the camera rock-steady when held, it totally enables single-hand shooting - even with my Panasonic original/heavy 14-140 lens. Here are some notes about the grip:

1. It replaces the black plastic hotshoe cover that ships with the GX7 and attaches with no tools or set screws.

2. The grip is black (as is my GX7) and when attached there are no nasty shiny parts showing.

3. Even with the Panasonic add-on eyecup installed (which I have and also highly recommend) the grip installs with just slightly more than moderate pressure. Once installed it will clearly not ever fall out or off.

4. As I noted, the grip is a huge improvement in handling comfort and feel. I was really surprised at how much nicer the camera is to hold with the grip installed.

5. The grip does NOT interfere with the popup flash or the MF/AF/AE Lock control.

7. The grip appears to be made from powder-coated machined aluminum and is very light weight. It has no effect on the camera balance.

I know there are other grips available on EBay for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of this one but I would not want to risk them. This one is just perfect.

Yep, I got one a few months back for my now sorely neglected GX1. So when I got my GX7, it migrated and I found that it works great!

It's $15 bucks well spent! The eyecup is another fantastic $15 add-on and a WHY the F didn't Panasonic include the thing as the default?

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gteague
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?

still able to use the fn4 button next to the evf?

and where did you guys get the eyecup? show oos at panasonic site and haven't seen it elsewhere.

/guy

-- hide signature --

"The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Birk Binnard
Like?
In reply to gteague, 8 months ago

gteague wrote:

Yes, this works OK although it does take a little extra pressure

and where did you guys get the eyecup? show oos at panasonic site and haven't seen it elsewhere.

I think the Panasonic store is the only place to get the eyecup.  It was on sale there for $15; hopefully they will bring it back soon.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard

gteague
Like?

tks mucho for the info. i placed my order for the thumbgrip. the existing grip is no prob with the smaller lighter lenses but the accessory should be perfect to counterbalance the 75/1.8.

and i don't intend to use the evf unless forced to it by circumstances, but i'd like to have the eyecup handy in case a situation arises so i placed a backorder order. $13.75 w/tax. i guess it ships free as no shipping costs popped up.

thanks again,

/guy

-- hide signature --

"The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,619
Like?

Birk Binnard wrote:

The grip virtually transforms the camera (no, this is not hyperbole!) - not only does it make the camera rock-steady when held, it totally enables single-hand shooting - even with my Panasonic original/heavy 14-140 lens. Here are some notes about the grip:

3. Even with the Panasonic add-on eyecup installed (which I have and also highly recommend) the grip installs with just slightly more than moderate pressure. Once installed it will clearly not ever fall out or off.

4. As I noted, the grip is a huge improvement in handling comfort and feel. I was really surprised at how much nicer the camera is to hold with the grip installed.

7. The grip appears to be made from powder-coated machined aluminum and is very light weight. It has no effect on the camera balance.

I know there are other grips available on EBay for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of this one but I would not want to risk them. This one is just perfect.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard

Any of the thumb grips listed on Amazon will do, some are even cheaper.

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?

Birk Binnard wrote:

gteague wrote:

Yes, this works OK although it does take a little extra pressure

I think the Panasonic store is the only place to get the eyecup. It was on sale there for $15; hopefully they will bring it back soon.

Can you tell me the part number of the eyecup? I don't find it in Panasonic Spain. In which way is it different than the standard eyecup that comes with the camera?

Enrique

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,180Gear list
Like?

Does the thumb grip protrude? Does it make it more difficult to slip the GX7 into a pocket, or a small bag or compartment?

Thanks

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 829Gear list
Like?
In reply to Enir4, 8 months ago

Enir4 wrote:

Can you tell me the part number of the eyecup? I don't find it in Panasonic Spain. In which way is it different than the standard eyecup that comes with the camera?

Enrique

Here is the eyecup listing, part DMW-EC1, at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998484-REG/panasonic_dmw_ec1_eyecup.html

Though they are now again showing it as available for pre-order, they had it in stock about a week ago. I ordered it and it was apparently delivered to my office today.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, 8 months ago

brentbrent wrote:

Enir4 wrote:

Enrique

Here is the eyecup listing, part DMW-EC1, at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998484-REG/panasonic_dmw_ec1_eyecup.html

Though they are now again showing it as available for pre-order, they had it in stock about a week ago. I ordered it and it was apparently delivered to my office today.

Thanks. Is it bigger or deeper than the eyecup that came with the GX7?

Enrique

-- hide signature --

Brent

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Birk Binnard
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 8 months ago

Does the thumb grip protrude?

Yes - about 3/8", which is about 1/8" less than the extended eyecup, so in my case there is no net increase in body depth.

And yes, the extended Panasonic eyecup is larger & deeper than the native camera - this is what makes it a big improvement.  The difference is not a lot, but just enough to make the extended eyecup work really well.

Does it make it more difficult to slip the GX7 into a pocket, or a small bag or compartment?

I don't do that (when I'm out shooting I carry the naked camera on a neck strap) but I doubt there would be any problem with putting it in or out of a case or bag.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard

jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,325Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 8 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

Birk Binnard wrote:

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard

I don't know about that - these thumb grips come in all shapes and sizes and to me many of them look like they will not work well on the GX7 as they drop down too low over the back of the camera or might be too long.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
WushuMR2
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?

Hey, is there a difference between the "Type A" grip you listed

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mirrorless-Digital-Cameras-Type-A/dp/B00D62VZBW/

and this one? http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Thumb-Mirrorless-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00DZZHPHI/

The second one looks like it extends further, and might be a better fit?  I have shorter-than-average fingers for a guy.

WushuMR2's gear list:WushuMR2's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +2 more
gteague
Like?
In reply to WushuMR2, 8 months ago

WushuMR2 wrote:

Hey, is there a difference between the "Type A" grip you listed

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mirrorless-Digital-Cameras-Type-A/dp/B00D62VZBW/

and this one? http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Thumb-Mirrorless-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00DZZHPHI/

The second one looks like it extends further, and might be a better fit? I have shorter-than-average fingers for a guy.

i purchased the first one and it's not quite long enough. it stretches to just inside the /MF/ label. but if it was about 3/8" longer it'd start to interfere with the operation of the /AF-AE/ button.

the best i can measure, the one i have is 1-5/8". in the comments for the 2nd item someone says it's 'just over 2-1/4" long'. if true, it would cover the /AF-AE/ button completely and perhaps interfere with the operation of the rear dial as well. according to my measurements, it needs to be about 1-7/8" long.

another note, it's an extremely tight fit into the hot shoe. the first time i tried to take it out i nearly panicked and started looking for a crowbar but some patience and a wooden popsicle stick finally persuaded it to come out. not sure if i'll try again though because when i stretch my thumb to contact the grip it stretches my hand out of proportion and i can no longer hit the shutter button.

/guy

-- hide signature --

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,429Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 8 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

Birk Binnard wrote:

Some of them leave too little space between the camera and thumb grip and block deployment of the pop-up flash.

There was another thread on this issue a week or so back. I immediately tried my Fotodiox thumb grip and found that there was ample clearance for the flash. So, in this case, cheaper isn't better. $15 is hardly a wallet buster.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
mdmiataman
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?

Amazon carries it,..

mdmiataman's gear list:mdmiataman's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon ELPH 310 HS Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
jhinkey
Like?
In reply to mdmiataman, 8 months ago

Could someone post a few pictures of their GX7 with the Fotodiox thumb grip installed?

Thanks -

John

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
jhinkey
Like?
In reply to jhinkey, 8 months ago

jhinkey wrote:

Could someone post a few pictures of their GX7 with the Fotodiox thumb grip installed?

Thanks -

John

Never mind here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tysonrobichaud/10732736113/

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads