GM1 with Flip bac grip (pictures)

Started Dec 14, 2013 | Discussions
snack
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
GM1 with Flip bac grip (pictures)
Dec 14, 2013

Here are a couple of pictures of my GM1 with the Flip Bac G3 grip attached.  (B&H $7.95)

It's not a huge improvement but helpful nevertheless.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aatom
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
Re: GM1 with Flip bac grip (pictures)
In reply to snack, Dec 14, 2013

Thanks for the info. I think this grip looks more the part than the expensive Panasonic attachment that looks like a clumsy after thought.

aatom's gear list:aatom's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony RX100 Pentax K-x Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Many Feathers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768Gear list
Like?
In reply to snack, Dec 15, 2013

Thanks. I'll be getting my camera soon and if I like it, I'll add this grip too.

MrKal_El
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
In reply to Many Feathers, Dec 15, 2013

This looks great...How do you find the adhesive?

-- hide signature --

Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MrKal_El

jlabate
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?

Thanks, I just ordered one.  By the way, what strap is that you are using on the camera?

snack wrote:

Here are a couple of pictures of my GM1 with the Flip Bac G3 grip attached. (B&H $7.95)

berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,490Gear list
Like?
In reply to jlabate, Dec 15, 2013

Hi

I tried the same grip thinking that it might make the camera easier to hold, but in fact it did not help. In any case with smaller lenses the GM1 does not need a grip IMHO. Some cameras greatly benefit from them though.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,124Gear list
Like?
Too small?

is this cam too small for man hands? I notice the woman who did the dp review on this cam also had an optional grip fitted.

-- hide signature --
snack
Like?
In reply to MrKal_El, Dec 15, 2013

MrKal_El wrote:

This looks great...How do you find the adhesive?

-- hide signature --

Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MrKal_El

The adhesive is just a piece of two-way tape.  It comes on the grip.  You just peel & stick.  And it comes off without leaving a mark if you want to remove it later.

snack
Like?

The strap is just a wrist strap I had from some other camera.

jlabate wrote:

Thanks, I just ordered one. By the way, what strap is that you are using on the camera?

snack wrote:

Here are a couple of pictures of my GM1 with the Flip Bac G3 grip attached. (B&H $7.95)

snack
Like?
In reply to berni29, Dec 15, 2013

Yeah, like I said, not a huge help.  But I find I'm resting my index & middle finger there and it gives me a bit more stability.  I don't see where the Panasonic grip would be any more helpful.  It falls in about the same position.

berni29 wrote:

Hi

I tried the same grip thinking that it might make the camera easier to hold, but in fact it did not help. In any case with smaller lenses the GM1 does not need a grip IMHO. Some cameras greatly benefit from them though.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300)

eastvillager
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?

Im sorry I think the flip bac looks cheap and kills the great look of the camera. Looks like an afterthought, which is what it is. It also looks like there's not much of a grip to hold onto there. I have the Pany metal grip and it has plenty to hold onto and it also looks great. Bottom line is what you feel comfortable with.

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
jlabate
Like?
In reply to eastvillager, Dec 15, 2013

I emailed Richard Franiec last week to ask about the possibility of producing one of his grips for the GM1.  He said he is considering it.  They are beautiful functional pieces, I hope there is demand for him to make one.  His site is here.

Impulses
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?

There's actually a couple different Flipbac grip styles to choose from, only one of them protrudes slightly farther but one or two are significantly wider... They sell a 3 pack direct from their site (for what 2 would cost at B&H), I bought them for my LF1... One of the grips looks exactly like what's on my GF6 stock.

I like the Franeic grip that's out for the RX100 because it wraps around the body a little bit so it looks more stock (probably less likely to peel too), plus it's metal (though that might be a downside in the winter!). You can get a similar effect with the Flipbacs, depending on the camera body, by bending them and/or cutting some shallow vertical slits so it's more pliable. Saw someone do this on the boards a while back...

The Panasonic grip just looks odd to me, and it takes up the tripod mount, plus it's expensive. Only real upside in my book is the fact that it gives the body a few more millimeters heightwise so a couple more of the smaller lenses don't protrude out the bottom.

Nice shot of the new Panasonic slim caps on the OP's pictures too... Hadn't seen them photographed here before, the 20mm version II comes with the same cap. It looks a little larger here because of the filter the OP has on the 12-32mm, but the spring clips barely clear the edge on my 20mm. It's basically as slim as Olympus caps or Panasonic's own cap for the 14-42X PZ.

Panasonic's old center pinch stock cap is probably taller than the new one plus that filter... Really kills the profile on pancake lenses.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +19 more
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to Impulses, Dec 15, 2013

Impulses wrote:

There's actually a couple different Flipbac grip styles to choose from, only one of them protrudes slightly farther but one or two are significantly wider... They sell a 3 pack direct from their site (for what 2 would cost at B&H), I bought them for my LF1... One of the grips looks exactly like what's on my GF6 stock.

I like the Franeic grip that's out for the RX100 because it wraps around the body a little bit so it looks more stock (probably less likely to peel too), plus it's metal (though that might be a downside in the winter!). You can get a similar effect with the Flipbacs, depending on the camera body, by bending them and/or cutting some shallow vertical slits so it's more pliable. Saw someone do this on the boards a while back...

The Panasonic grip just looks odd to me, and it takes up the tripod mount, plus it's expensive. Only real upside in my book is the fact that it gives the body a few more millimeters heightwise so a couple more of the smaller lenses don't protrude out the bottom.

Nice shot of the new Panasonic slim caps on the OP's pictures too... Hadn't seen them photographed here before, the 20mm version II comes with the same cap. It looks a little larger here because of the filter the OP has on the 12-32mm, but the spring clips barely clear the edge on my 20mm. It's basically as slim as Olympus caps or Panasonic's own cap for the 14-42X PZ.

Panasonic's old center pinch stock cap is probably taller than the new one plus that filter... Really kills the profile on pancake lenses.

Just a teaser, playing with possibilities.

The bottom line is: you should look for best executed and integrated concept suiting your needs and tickling your fancy . No bending or altering no compromising the camera utility. Just a perfect fit and finish lasting forever. At least this is how I see it 

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
Joe789
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, Dec 15, 2013

LOVE that GM 1 Franeic grip, Richard!... hope you do one in black also [if you decide to do more than a teaser]

eastvillager
Like?
In reply to Impulses, Dec 15, 2013

I've seen this a couple of times already and I'm not sure I understand the logic? Why would you put a grip on the camera if you're using a tripod?

The Panasonic grip just looks odd to me, and it takes up the tripod mount

Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
jlabate
Like?
In reply to Joe789, Dec 16, 2013

Richard, I'll take a black one too.  Although the are beautiful pieces, I like how the black hides them.

Joe789 wrote:

LOVE that GM 1 Franeic grip, Richard!... hope you do one in black also [if you decide to do more than a teaser]

Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to jlabate, Dec 16, 2013

jlabate wrote:

Richard, I'll take a black one too. Although the are beautiful pieces, I like how the black hides them.

Joe789 wrote:

You can have any color you want as long as it's black said Henry Ford. He is one of my heroes. So, black it will be. In fact, I was hoping that you won't ask me to leave it as it is 

Cheers,

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
Impulses
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
In reply to eastvillager, Dec 16, 2013

I've seen this a couple of times already and I'm not sure I understand the logic? Why would you put a grip on the camera if you're using a tripod?

Uhh... Because sometimes you might wanna use a tripod and sometimes not? Unscrewing the grip every single time you wanna slap the camera on a tripod would get old, specially if you use a tripod a lot and/or you carry a small tripod like a Gorillapod or those tiny Joby Micros that are so small you can leave them attached to the bottom of the camera (works great with small cameras like this for table shots at restaurants etc).

Some people might even like using camera straps that attach via the tripod mount and again, Panasonic's grip would interfere with that. The ONE thing that no other grip does that the Panasonic grip addresses (camera body height vs larger lenses) is ironically the one thing that would actually matter most on a tripod. A lot of tripod plates won't take the GM1 with anything but the kit zoom because any lens that protrudes out the bottom is gonna interfere and not allow the body to sit flush with the plate or quick release.

It really does look like a total afterthought on Panasonic's part IMO. I don't even mind the actual look of it so much as the clumsy design. Plus they wanted like $75 for it or something? Kind of ridiculous, I hope it's made of titanium or at least the same mag alloy as the body for that price...

That "Franiec" grip is looking sharp tho, sorry about butchering your last name before Richard!

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +19 more
eastvillager
Like?
In reply to Impulses, Dec 16, 2013

You see it your way and I see it mine. The Pany grip is a beautiful piece of equipment. It fits perfectly to the contours of the body and is finely machined.The flip bac and all the other stick on grips look exactly like a stickon grip. An afterthought which obviously they are. They look cheap. I use my GM1 on the street and for general shooting. If I'll use it on a tripod for night shooting or studio work I'll just simply remove the grip, no more difficult than removing an SD card. I don't use a tripod every other shot where I need a grip, then a tripod, then a grip, etc. Who does? Walking around with the GM1 on my carbon Gitzo with no weight at all on the head sounds like the way to go. Looking forward to the combo.

Impulses wrote:

Uhh... Because sometimes you might wanna use a tripod and sometimes not? Unscrewing the grip every single time you wanna slap the camera on a tripod would get old, specially if you use a tripod a lot and/or you carry a small tripod like a Gorillapod or those tiny Joby Micros that are so small you can leave them attached to the bottom of the camera (works great with small cameras like this for table shots at restaurants etc).

Some people might even like using camera straps that attach via the tripod mount and again, Panasonic's grip would interfere with that. The ONE thing that no other grip does that the Panasonic grip addresses (camera body height vs larger lenses) is ironically the one thing that would actually matter most on a tripod. A lot of tripod plates won't take the GM1 with anything but the kit zoom because any lens that protrudes out the bottom is gonna interfere and not allow the body to sit flush with the plate or quick release.

It really does look like a total afterthought on Panasonic's part IMO. I don't even mind the actual look of it so much as the clumsy design. Plus they wanted like $75 for it or something? Kind of ridiculous, I hope it's made of titanium or at least the same mag alloy as the body for that price...

That "Franiec" grip is looking sharp tho, sorry about butchering your last name before Richard!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads