Nikon 105 f2.5 P portraits

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Stujomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 973
Like?
Nikon 105 f2.5 P portraits
11 months ago

I shots these today with the older 105 f2.5 Nikkor P. Camera was D800

Mine is the old silver nose metal focus ring 5 elements 3 groups sonar type design.

Nice lens I've had it for about 7 years it was Ai converted before I own it.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vepar
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 105 f2.5 P portraits
In reply to Stujomo, 11 months ago

Very nice, enjoy it!

vepar's gear list:vepar's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hasa
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?

Thank you for sharing - it certainly looks like a capable lens + photographer!

-- hide signature --

Smile and the world smiles back!

Hasa's gear list:Hasa's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +8 more
gear1box
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?

Stu --

It is indeed a remarkable lens -- dating back over 60 years in design -- with few faults on modern cameras.  My early 80s sample is a bit soft in the corners wider than f4 on my d600; on my Panny G5 it is a jewel.

I have found m4/3s performance of AIS lenses shorter than the 105 to be wanting.  Basically, for my 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2 and 24mm f2.8 i have stop them down to f5.6 just to match the Panny 14-45 kit lens -- ouch.  i don't have an 85 and they may be okay.

But the 105 is in another category with the 3.7 micron G5 sensor, so the center, at least, of your 4.9 micron d800 should be a doodle.

And focussing with that helicliod is pleasure itself.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Stujomo
Like?
In reply to vepar, 11 months ago

vepar wrote:

Very nice, enjoy it!

Thanks, I hope to start using it much more than I have.

Stujomo
Like?
In reply to Hasa, 11 months ago

Hasa wrote:

Thank you for sharing - it certainly looks like a capable lens + photographer!

-- hide signature --

Smile and the world smiles back!

Thanks, it certainly is a very good lens.

Stujomo
Like?
In reply to gear1box, 11 months ago

gear1box wrote:

Stu --

It is indeed a remarkable lens -- dating back over 60 years in design -- with few faults on modern cameras. My early 80s sample is a bit soft in the corners wider than f4 on my d600; on my Panny G5 it is a jewel.

I have found m4/3s performance of AIS lenses shorter than the 105 to be wanting. Basically, for my 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2 and 24mm f2.8 i have stop them down to f5.6 just to match the Panny 14-45 kit lens -- ouch. i don't have an 85 and they may be okay.

But the 105 is in another category with the 3.7 micron G5 sensor, so the center, at least, of your 4.9 micron d800 should be a doodle.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

Thanks, the 105mm turned out to be a choice for me. I've got quite a few Ais lenses I grab them when they come along at reasonable prices.

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,376Gear list
Like?

Stujomo wrote:

gear1box wrote:

Stu --

It is indeed a remarkable lens -- dating back over 60 years in design -- with few faults on modern cameras. My early 80s sample is a bit soft in the corners wider than f4 on my d600; on my Panny G5 it is a jewel.

I have found m4/3s performance of AIS lenses shorter than the 105 to be wanting. Basically, for my 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2 and 24mm f2.8 i have stop them down to f5.6 just to match the Panny 14-45 kit lens -- ouch. i don't have an 85 and they may be okay.

-- hide signature --

gary ray

Thanks, the 105mm turned out to be a choice for me. I've got quite a few Ais lenses I grab them when they come along at reasonable prices.

The 105 f/2.5 P is a completely different design than the 105 f/2.5 AI. The newer lens is better corrected but the old lens has very nice rendering for portraits (as does the AI lens, of course). These lenses are discussed here:

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/5/index.htm

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Kitacanon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,547Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 11 months ago

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Stujomo wrote:

The 105 f/2.5 P is a completely different design than the 105 f/2.5 AI. The newer lens is better corrected but the old lens has very nice rendering for portraits (as does the AI lens, of course). These lenses are discussed here:

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/5/index.htm

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Not exactly....There are 2 versions of the 2.5P..

The silver nose "P" is indeed the earlier Sonnar version, but (other than the coating) the black nose "P" is optically identical to the Gauss AI/AIS version. You can see this by comparing the rear element size...the earlier version has the smaller diameter rear element....the larger diameter rear element identifies the later version.

...the barrels of the later versions are different: the black nose P having the scalloped metal focusing barrel, the AI and AIS having the rubberized barrel common to the "K" versions of Nikkor lenses....the black nose P was available with the AI aperture ring though...

Kitacanon's gear list:Kitacanon's gear list
Nikon D610 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads