I'm new and I probably bought a grey market D7000. Is it worth keeping?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Bones4
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
I'm new and I probably bought a grey market D7000. Is it worth keeping?
4 months ago

I have shot a lot with Canon point n' shoots, but I've never used a DSLR. After a few weeks of research, I decided on either the D5100 or the D7000. I was about to buy a D5100 new from Amazon for $430, but found a D7000 on Ebay for $600 or best offer. I offered $550 and they accepted. Free shipping. The shutter count is a little over 500 and the photos on the auction look clean. The seller has a good rating and there's a no hassle return option.

I haven't found a deal this low for this model. It doesn't come with the standard D7000 kit lens, but a Nikkor 18-70 f/3.5-4.5. He's also including a B+W F-PRO filter. Assuming the camera is in good condition as described, is the deal I got worth not having the warranty?

Thank you for your help

Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,414Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm new and I probably bought a grey market D7000. Is it worth keeping?
In reply to Bones4, 4 months ago

If you bought it as a used camera and there is nothing wrong with it, then I don't see any reason to return.  If you bought it new with expectation of a Nikon US warranty then I would send it back.

Nikon's warranty only covers the original owner anyway, so used and grey market is no different than US out of warranty.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
evan47
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?
In reply to scokill, 4 months ago

weather you are the original owner or not, grey market items are grey market items. period.

if you have one you may very well have great difficulty getting it serviced by an authorised service centre.

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Bones4
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to evan47, 4 months ago

evan47 wrote:

weather you are the original owner or not, grey market items are grey market items. period.

if you have one you may very well have great difficulty getting it serviced by an authorised service centre.

Is the price worth the risk?

Jeff4500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067
Like?
In reply to evan47, 4 months ago

APS services grey market stuff no issues.

-- hide signature --
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,719Gear list
Like?
Keep it
In reply to Jeff4500, 4 months ago

As mentioned above, Nikon warranties on cameras only apply to the original owner and usually are only for one year. Even then, original receipt and unfilled in warranty card are required.

If it breaks you can get it fixed here in the USA. NikonUSA imports usually start with USxxxxxxxxx.

Enjoy your new camera! You will love it. If you don't get a manual, one can be download or read on line as a PDF file. Most were sold as single bodies, as opposed to kits.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,389
Like?
Won't fix
In reply to Steve Bingham, 4 months ago

Steve Bingham wrote:

If it breaks you can get it fixed here in the USA. NikonUSA imports usually start with USxxxxxxxxx.

If it is really Grey Market, Nikon USA service centers will not fix it. That was told to me by reps from Nikon USA at a recent Trade Show. Other Countries Nikon centers might though. For that reason I do not purchase grey market Nikon gear used or new. Unless it 80% off and I can check it out myself before buying

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

nikonmaniak
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: Won't fix
In reply to Mako2011, 4 months ago

What is actually meant by "Grey Market" in USA? In some countries this means illegally imported (smuggled)/tax not paid or stolen items being resold. Does used or refurbished camera sold by their original owner means a grey market product?

Regarding price, only two days ago I got a new D7000 (body only) with a cheap camera bag and 4GB card from authorised shop (outside USA) at a discounted price of about $700 (equivalent) with full 2 year warranty. I don't know whether it is a bargain.

Steve Bingham
Like?
Will fix

Well, according to a phone call I made 2 minutes ago, this is not true. APS will repair non-NikonUSA imports. The gentleman on the line says they do it all the time, no problem. Please note they are also an official NikonUSA service center. http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/index.php/our-services

Authorized Photo Service is an Official Nikon USA Authorized Repair Service.

Mako2011 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

If it is really Grey Market, Nikon USA service centers will not fix it. That was told to me by reps from Nikon USA at a recent Trade Show. Other Countries Nikon centers might though. For that reason I do not purchase grey market Nikon gear used or new. Unless it 80% off and I can check it out myself before buying

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,378
Like?
Re: Will fix

Steve Bingham wrote:

Well, according to a phone call I made 2 minutes ago, this is not true. APS will repair non-NikonUSA imports. The gentleman on the line says they do it all the time, no problem. Please note they are also an official NikonUSA service center. http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/index.php/our-services

Mako2011 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

I think the reference is to Nikon owned service centers...if APS had to fix all the grey market cameras in the U.S. on their own you'd see them buried under a sea of grey market cameras with the withered hand of a service tech yearning to be free protruding from under the rubble.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
not authorized

Steve Bingham wrote:

APS isn't a D7000 authorized repair facility

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page

May not be able to even get the parts they need. May not have the current D7000 and later repair software. They may certainly attempt to repair, not sure you'll get it repaired though. They were former Nikon Service Center but no longer. Would have to call Nikon Japan to get the real skinny.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
Like?
Re: not authorized

This is on their web page and was confirmed over the phone. They can get all the parts they need, maybe just not from NikonUSA. They fixed my friends non-Nikon USA Import  D7000 in 2 weeks - and charged him, of course. As it was over a year old the Nikon USA camera warranty was no longer valid anyway.

"Authorized Photo Service is an Official Nikon USA Authorized Repair Service."

Now if this is untrue than Nikon USA could sue them for a bundle. If they buy the parts from Nikon USA and charge for their labor, where is Nikon USA hurt? I believe Nikon USA tried to enforce this and was taken to court. What they probably won't do is honor the Nikon USA warranty if the camera is gray market (importer other than Nikon USA - like Nikon Canada). Of course this would be true.

I short, you can get your Nikon lens and body repaired - but you pay. If you are not the original owner, you pay anyway. Things change.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

BirgerH
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?

Mako2011 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mako, grey marked is a term, Nikon has invented to provide theire more expensive markets against internet trade. Nikons prices in USA, Europe and Australia is a lot higher, than in Asia - included China.

Here in Europe, Nikon can't refuse to fix their products - at normal prices - but they can refuse giving warranty - it's the dealers responsability regarding to European law.

I bought my D7000 in China (HongKong) that cheap and with all taxes paid, that I have no problem loosing Nikons warranty - there's a lot of Money left to repair. Compared to the official Price in Denmark, I saved more than $400 at the time - a third of the Price.

There would be no grey marked, if Nikons officiel prices were the same all over the World. The Companies in HongKong buys their products at Nikon - don't they.

BirgerH

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Small

Steve Bingham wrote:

This is on their web page and was confirmed over the phone.

I would expect them to say that. The more official Nikon web page seems to say otherwise. Have to call Japan to get the real answer I suppose

They can get all the parts they need, maybe just not from NikonUSA. They fixed my friends non-Nikon USA Import D7000 in 2 weeks - and charged him, of course. As it was over a year old the Nikon USA camera warranty was no longer valid anyway.

Yep, I would think they can certainly do some things...may have trouble with others...hard to say.

"Authorized Photo Service is an Official Nikon USA Authorized Repair Service."

I see that. Also says on the Nikon -USA site they are not.

Now if this is untrue than Nikon USA could sue them for a bundle.

And Vice versa?

If they buy the parts from Nikon USA and charge for their labor, where is Nikon USA hurt?

They can't buy parts from Nikon USA, any longer

I believe Nikon USA tried to enforce this and was taken to court.

I was told by Nikon USA reps, that that was not the case and indeed...they nolonger provide parts to any independents.

What they probably won't do is honor the Nikon USA warranty if the camera is gray market (importer other than Nikon USA - like Nikon Canada). Of course this would be true.

That too

I short, you can get your Nikon lens and body repaired - but you pay.

Still, you may not be able to get a modern (D7000 or later) gray market Nikon camera or lens repaired in the US (depending on the malfunction). Decentered elements and such may be no problem...replacing a grey market D610 circuit board in the US and you may be out of luck. There is a risk with Grey. Much less risk with non-grey. Buying grey market used (somebody is getting rid of it for some reason) is a bigger risk when it comes to getting repairs. How much is the initial saving anyways...usually a small percentage?

If you are not the original owner, you pay anyway. Things change.

Or take it to a "Nikon Authorized" shop south of the boarder...cheaper and they do sub-contract out to some of the US independents now.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
some
In reply to BirgerH, 4 months ago

BirgerH wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mako, grey marked is a term, Nikon has invented to provide theire more expensive markets against internet trade. Nikons prices in USA, Europe and Australia is a lot higher, than in Asia - included China.

Well understood as Nikon (the parent company) uses independent subsidiaries which is different than how Canon operates.

Here in Europe, Nikon can't refuse to fix their products - at normal prices - but they can refuse giving warranty - it's the dealers responsability regarding to European law.

Yes, Nikon subsidiaries in Europe operates differently and they are under different laws

I bought my D7000 in China (HongKong) that cheap and with all taxes paid, that I have no problem loosing Nikons warranty - there's a lot of Money left to repair. Compared to the official Price in Denmark, I saved more than $400 at the time - a third of the Price.

Yes, different than here.

There would be no grey marked, if Nikons officiel prices were the same all over the World. The Companies in HongKong buys their products at Nikon - don't they.

Not all...you have to be a bit careful in Hong Kong...a few do not buy directly from Nikon Japan.

-- hide signature --

BirgerH
Like?

BirgerH wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mako, grey marked is a term, Nikon has invented to provide

of course I ment protect -  not provide - this strange language of yours

theire more expensive markets against internet trade. Nikons prices in USA, Europe and Australia is a lot higher, than in Asia - included China.

There would be no grey marked, if Nikons officiel prices were the same all over the World. The Companies in HongKong buys their products at Nikon - don't they.

BirgerH

Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 596
Like?

Bones4 wrote:

evan47 wrote:

Is the price worth the risk?

i was told that nikon will not service grey market items.is this true?

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,378
Like?

BirgerH wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mako, grey marked is a term, Nikon has invented to provide theire more expensive markets against internet trade. Nikons prices in USA, Europe and Australia is a lot higher, than in Asia - included China.

Not really a term Nikon invented either..been around for quite some time.

BirgerH

BirgerH
Like?
Re: some

Mako2011 wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Well understood as Nikon (the parent company) uses independent subsidiaries which is different than how Canon operates.

Could make me switch to Canon - if they only could make camera's

Yes, Nikon subsidiaries in Europe operates differently and they are under different Laws

Yes, we got laws against protectionism - there have to be some kind of independency.

Yes, different than here.

Not all...you have to be a bit careful in Hong Kong...a few do not buy directly from Nikon Japan.

How can they be bought, if not directly from Nikon Jpan - who else Sells new Nikon camera's from fabric?

-- hide signature --

BirgerH.

t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 596
Like?

i have d3200 alongside my d700/d300s/d2h.great little camera,i bought it strictly for its high rez sensor and it delivers impressive well detailed images for me.i use the nikkor 35mm 1.8 dx,50 mm 1.8g,nikkor 80-200 2.8 via manual focus,tamron 17-50 2.8 "BIM"(af motor in lens) and 14mm 2.8.take a look at my d3200 gallery especially images shot with the tamron 17-50 2.8..and yes i use d3200 on some of my paid assignments

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads