Tilt shift adapter Nikon F to NikonF. Or even Canon to Nikon F ? Does it exist?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
han47
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Tilt shift adapter Nikon F to NikonF. Or even Canon to Nikon F ? Does it exist?
4 months ago

Hello All,

lately I see tilt/shift adapters advertized on Ebay, Kipon brand or other.
I'm curious to experiment a little with T/S but don't want to spent on Nikon brand stuff right away.
So thinkig these adapters might be a low cost experiment rig.
Never see Nikon F to Nikon F though, only eg. Hasselblad to Nikon F.  Maybe not even Canon to Nikon.
Does anybody have or know of a cheap solution to try Tilt/shift on Nikon?

Ciao, Han

Bob GB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
You need two things.
In reply to han47, 4 months ago

han47 wrote:

I'm curious to experiment a little with T/S but don't want to spent on Nikon brand stuff right away.
Never see Nikon F to Nikon F though, only eg. Hasselblad to Nikon F. Maybe not even Canon to Nikon.

The sensor to flange distance for Nikon F is 46.5 mm. For an adapter there need to be some space available. A Hasselblad lens have 74.9 mm sensor to flange distance so there are 28.4 mm available for an adapter.

Then you must have a lens which covers more than the FX format (or DX) if you tilt and shift it. A Hasselblad lens covers 60 x 60 mm which is much more than FX and hence can be shifted and tilted without any problems.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
han47
Like?
Re: You need two things.
In reply to Bob GB, 4 months ago

Hi Bob,

Somehow I knew this, but I wanted to dream on a bit.

And I asked for a cheap solution, no less.

So your reply sais I need two things. I would add a third, that would be money.
As i looked up Hasselblad lenses and they don't come cheap.

Thank you for making this clear.

Btw, renting is € 25 a day, but it doesn't seem a lens that one plays with for 5 minutes and have it all figured out.

Ciao, Han

Sante Patate
Senior MemberPosts: 2,990
Like?
Re: You need two things.

han47 wrote:

So your reply sais I need two things. I would add a third, that would be money.

As i looked up Hasselblad lenses and they don't come cheap.

Other medium format lenses would do as well - Mamiya lenses, eg, are much cheaper than Hasselblad and very good optically.

Unfortunately, AFAIK you can only use the shift function with Mamiya lenses on Nikon (http://www.mirex-adapter.de/preisliste.htm).

And although that is a lot cheaper than a Nikon tilt-shift it is not my idea of a cheap solution. Note also that you only have a normal or slightly wide-angle t/s lens even if you are using FX.

Another cheap-ish solution is that Nikon used to make a 35mm f/2.8 perspective control lens which is in the $300 range second-hand. It is cheap for a reason: it is a pain to use, but optically it is very good (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35pc.htm).

Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,296Gear list
Like?
Third-party suggestion

han47 wrote:

A company named Hartblei (see hartblei.com) made a "super-rotator" series of economical T/S lenses for several 35mm mounts.  They lack CPUs, so are strictly manual operation with stop-down metering required, but the T/S function is very flexible since each function (tilt and shift) has its own rotation setting (like the newest Canon T/S designs).

I have their 65mm version for Nikon, and since it uses a (Russian) medium-format lens, the large image circle allows a wide range of T/S combinations.  The optical quality isn't up to the standard of Nikon macro lenses, but it's good, and if you can find one used, it should be under $300 or so.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

han47
Like?
Re: Tilt shift adapter Nikon F to NikonF. Or even Canon to Nikon F ? Does it exist?

Hello everybody,

thank you all for information and ideas.

To marianne, the Hartblei super-rotaters are out of stock at the company.
There are only 80mm like yours on Ebay right now.
Will keep an eye open and at least now know what to look for.
Thinking of something a little wider as it will be used on DX format.

Ciao, Han

Michael Benveniste
Senior MemberPosts: 1,579Gear list
Like?
Re: Third-party suggestion
In reply to Marianne Oelund, 4 months ago

Marianne Oelund wrote:

han47 wrote:

A company named Hartblei (see hartblei.com) made a "super-rotator" series of economical T/S lenses for several 35mm mounts. They lack CPUs, so are strictly manual operation with stop-down metering required, but the T/S function is very flexible since each function (tilt and shift) has its own rotation setting (like the newest Canon T/S designs).

I have their 65mm version for Nikon, and since it uses a (Russian) medium-format lens, the large image circle allows a wide range of T/S combinations.

There are several different firm currently using the name "Hartblei." Hartblei.com doesn't sell superrotator lenses any more, but they may still have some of the non-superrotator Arsats out of the Arsenal factory in Ukraine.  The Arsat's are also available on eBay.

http://hartbleilens.com, is out of Kiev and does sell super-rotators. Prices range from $1350-$3000 or so.

http://www.hartblei.de/ also sells (or sold) super-rotators based on Zeiss/Schott glass. These run anywhere from €2300 to €5400, but they may have been discontinued.

-- hide signature --

I miss the days when I used to be nostalgic.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +30 more
han47
Like?
Re: Third-party suggestion
In reply to Michael Benveniste, 4 months ago

Hi Michael,

see the serie of three hartblei prototyp by Zeiss in Canon mount.
The 40, 80 and 120 macro.
They are on the French Craigslist for € 3900.
This one gives only E-mail contact, can be good or the Nigerians at work again.
The pictures of the set are from smartphone and very badly executed, strange no, for someone trying to sell quality stuff?

Anyway, good price for stuff like this if it's kosjer.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/446990651.htm?ca=12_s

Ciao, Han

Edit: there's a cellphone nr. also. Sorry.

_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,958
Like?
Re: Tilt shift adapter Nikon F to NikonF. Or even Canon to Nikon F ? Does it exist?

han47 wrote:

Never see Nikon F to Nikon F though, only eg. Hasselblad to Nikon F. Maybe not even Canon to Nikon.

I've got a cheapo fixed-tilt Araxphoto adapter Nikon FX -> Nikon DX. But this works for close-ups only, due to the flange distance issue. Some samples here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3041926

To work around the flange distance thing on the cheap, some folks have removed the mount parts of lenses and improvised T/S adapters

With Nikon glass, you can play with T/S on an old m43 camera with a suitable TS adapter. I hear there are mounting issues with certain Oly cameras due to the protruding EVF above the lens mount. Notice that the crop factor tends to water down the tilt effect (if you want thin DoF).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads