Birding Photography with m43...this week's results

Started Dec 14, 2013 | Discussions
CalNature
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
Birding Photography with m43...this week's results
Dec 14, 2013

Here's a few photos taken this week with the EM-1 plus 90-250 and the EM-5 with the 75-300. Nice combo, at least for me!

MIKE1111
Regular MemberPosts: 170
Like?
Re: Birding Photography with m43...this week's results
In reply to CalNature, Dec 14, 2013

maybe it a misprint,but the e-m1 focal length says 354mm.is that a 4/3 lens

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CalNature
Like?
In reply to MIKE1111, Dec 14, 2013

That's the 90-250 with the TC 1.4. Plus I might add that I often use the 2x digital converter as well...so in FF terms that is 1416 mm equivalent! I love the reach of this combo!!!

Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,722
Like?

nice especially the crane

-- hide signature --
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,751Gear list
Like?

A nice set.  I especially like the first two and the last.

Andrew

CalNature
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Dec 14, 2013

Thanks Trevor. I was able to nail the eye if focus with focus peaking. This was especially helpful with the 1416 mm equivalent magnification as the single small AF square becomes fairly large at that point.

CalNature
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, Dec 14, 2013

Thanks. This is the time of the year for bird photography. It is still mild and rainless in California. When and if we get a break from the drought I will likely shift to landscapes.

GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?

Very nice, especially the Sandhill Crane and the (ugly) Turkey Vulture.

How far away were you from the Crane?   How much did you crop?   Our Sandhills left this part of (central) Ontario about 2 months ago.

Turkey Vulture ... great exposure to get those black feathers.  I have a devil of a time with that black.  I just realized the importance of getting that bird down sun --- to get some reflected light off of those wing feathers.  Slow learner, I guess.

Thanks for posting those great shots.

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 11,026Gear list
Like?

Excellent shots loved them all!

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

CalNature
Like?
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, Dec 14, 2013

Hi Tom, Glad that you liked them. No post cropping. With the 90-250 + TC1.4 + 2x digital converter I was able to completely fill the frame. This is now an incredible birding setup that surpasses the E5. I don't know the distance, about 40 yards or so?  Jeff

CalNature
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Dec 14, 2013

Thanks....hard to understand all of the angst when we can capture such beauty with great gear these days.  Jeff

GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
In reply to CalNature, Dec 15, 2013

CalNature wrote:

Hi Tom, Glad that you liked them. No post cropping. With the 90-250 + TC1.4 + 2x digital converter I was able to completely fill the frame. This is now an incredible birding setup that surpasses the E5. I don't know the distance, about 40 yards or so? Jeff

Thanks, Jeff,

Wow!  That is very impressive. You are getting really fine detail at that long FL (equivalent to 1400 mm AOV @ 250mm? just under 2º diagonal?).   My 100-300mm Panny gives me 4º when extended.

A flock of a dozen Sandhills spend each summer in the neighbourhood.   Sometimes they hang out in one of my fields.    But I've never been able to get close to them -- with them down-sun.

This is part of the gang last fall, backlit,  as I was sneaking up on them along a brushline ...

Sandhills starting to detect the approach of intrepid photog ...

.... then a "gaggle formation" take-off ...

5 took off to the left, one to the right.  I decided to get the quints.

These are all cropped about 50%.  So I guess that what you see above is what you'd see in the EVF with your set-up.  Nice!!   Gotta be fast moving that lens around when in that tight, though, eh?  Do you use EVF or the LCD?   I use the EVF but am trying to rig up a red dot sight to use with the LCD.

Maybe I'll have to look into the possibility of a TC  ----  plus improve my stealth while tracking these guys!   I have just realized that I know of a spot where I can approach from the east very early in the morning, which seems to be the best time to see them around here.

My friends shoot Canada Geese in these fields and use blinds during September.  Maybe I'll try using a blind.

Good challenges, eh?

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
sinkas
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?

The photos with the EM1 combination are outstanding. The first photo with the EM5 has focussed on the twigs rather than the bird which is situation normal for me! 

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,780Gear list
Like?

that's an excellent sequence of shots.

How does the combination handle as that is a weighty lens to put on a relatively small body?

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
CalNature
Like?
In reply to Brian Wadie, Dec 15, 2013

Hi Brian, thanks for the comments. Hanging the EM-1 off the 90-250 is no different than with the E-5. I handle the unit with the lens, not the camera body. I exclusively use this combo with a tripod, a video type head, and a shutter release cable. So normal photo taking doesn't involve physically handling the camera body, except for changing settings on the dials.

CalNature
Like?
In reply to sinkas, Dec 15, 2013

Thanks Daryl. The sharpness of the photos is enhanced, IMHO, by the use of a tripod, especially at the full 1400 mm magnification.  Jeff

CalNature
Like?
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, Dec 15, 2013

Stealth and getting to know the habits of the cranes is really important. We have a lot of wintering cranes in our area at this time of the year. For me it pays to drive around and learn their habitats. During mid day they hang out in certain fields, and then by mid to late afternoon the fly to their night time destinations. It pays to know to where they are flying, the angle of light, etc.  Advance planning pays off.

Thanks for sharing your photos and experience!  Jeff

Brian Wadie
Like?

CalNature wrote:

Hi Brian, thanks for the comments. Hanging the EM-1 off the 90-250 is no different than with the E-5. I handle the unit with the lens, not the camera body. I exclusively use this combo with a tripod, a video type head, and a shutter release cable. So normal photo taking doesn't involve physically handling the camera body, except for changing settings on the dials.

thanks for the info, I did wonder if you were able to use it hand-held but see that its Tripod only, which makes sense

That's the problem with these lovely lenses, they are all too heavy for me to even cart about these days, which is why I'm primarily limited to the 75-300 mk2 for my birding and other distance work

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
CalNature
Like?
In reply to Brian Wadie, Dec 15, 2013

Perfectly understandable...I am not spring chicken either, although I am a spry 64 year old in pretty good shape (helps being an organic farmer). But here's how I carry my gear. For somewhat longer walks, the setup goes into a large pack. For shorter walks, the setup is firmly attached to the tripod, and then this unit is balanced over my shoulder. For walks around ponds, wildlife refuges, etc., it works for me.

But for longer walks when I don't know what to expect, then the beauty of the 75-300 kicks in...and the quality is pretty good too.  Jeff

Brian Wadie
Like?

"I am not spring chicken either, although I am a spry 64 year old in pretty good shape (helps being an organic farmer). "

I'm a 72 year old "Turkey" with bad joint problems in back, neck and arms, which is why I came from canon to Olympus in the first place, so even the tripod spends mot of its time at home these days

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads