Help, my wife can't depart from my GX7!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
rcjim
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
Help, my wife can't depart from my GX7!
11 months ago

My wife has always been a cheap point-and-shoot camera girl. However, I recently purchased the GX7 and now her point-and-shoot cameras are collecting dust. My wife is now even starting to ask about the advanced features of the GX7 and is actually learning about photography! The problem now is that I am now sharing the GX7 with my wife! She absolutely loves the GX7 (she also says the GX7 is so cute...LOL). I've been thinking about purchasing another GX7 as a Christmas gift for my wife...we can certainly share lenses; however, I'm wondering if the GM1 may be a better camera. She doesn't use the GX7's EVF and the GM1 would probably fit the "cute" category for her, as well :-D. Perhaps, I should take her to our local camera store and let her handle a GM1...but then I would be giving away that I'm considering buying her a camera for Christmas. Any suggestions?

rcjim's gear list:rcjim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
zabatman
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
Re: Help, my wife can't depart from my GX7!
In reply to rcjim, 11 months ago

Just give it to her.

She deserves it.

And go and get yourself an EM-1

zabatman's gear list:zabatman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,252Gear list
Like?

rcjim wrote:

My wife has always been a cheap point-and-shoot camera girl. However, I recently purchased the GX7 and now her point-and-shoot cameras are collecting dust. My wife is now even starting to ask about the advanced features of the GX7 and is actually learning about photography! The problem now is that I am now sharing the GX7 with my wife! She absolutely loves the GX7 (she also says the GX7 is so cute...LOL). I've been thinking about purchasing another GX7 as a Christmas gift for my wife; however, I'm wondering if the GM1 may be a better camera. She doesn't use the GX7's EVF and the GM1 would probably fit the "cute" category for her, as well :-D. Perhaps, I should take her to our local camera store and let her handle a GM1...but then I would be giving away that I'm considering buying her a camera for Christmas. Any suggestions?

If my wife had commandeered my camera, I'd be taking her out for an early birthday/holiday gift like - yesterday.    You're fortunate it's the holiday season.   It wouldn't mean the same thing to get her an early xmas gift in July (but one does what one must).  

Then there's the commandeering of lenses to consider and prepare for.   [forehead smack!]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,631
Like?
In reply to zabatman, 11 months ago

zabatman wrote:

Just give it to her.

Yes. You should give her one.

She deserves it.

Most certainly.

Then you can think about what to do about cameras .....

Big Ga
Like?
You've got it easy....

My wife has 'stolen' my GH2, GH3, 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100!!!

rcjim wrote:

My wife has always been a cheap point-and-shoot camera girl. However, I recently purchased the GX7 and now her point-and-shoot cameras are collecting dust. My wife is now even starting to ask about the advanced features of the GX7 and is actually learning about photography! The problem now is that I am now sharing the GX7 with my wife! She absolutely loves the GX7 (she also says the GX7 is so cute...LOL). I've been thinking about purchasing another GX7 as a Christmas gift for my wife...we can certainly share lenses; however, I'm wondering if the GM1 may be a better camera. She doesn't use the GX7's EVF and the GM1 would probably fit the "cute" category for her, as well :-D. Perhaps, I should take her to our local camera store and let her handle a GM1...but then I would be giving away that I'm considering buying her a camera for Christmas. Any suggestions?

Personally, I'd buy another GX7 - but try and get the different coloured one for differentiation.

Reasons over getting this over a GM1 ?

1. She might not be using the viewfinder now, but she might in the future (or if you go on holidays somewhere really bright etc)

2. The GX7 is going to be easier for someone who's serious about photography to learn quickly without menu diving.

3. What if she wants to use flash in the future?

4. If she's stuck on some aspect, its going to be MUCH easier for you to explain if you're also using the same camera

5. Another GX7 is a useful backup for YOU

6. One battery charger. Much easier on hols.

7. You KNOW she likes the GX7. Why take the risk she might not like the GM1 ?

SlamdunK
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?

I guess the GX7 has that effect on people It is an absolute marvel.

-- hide signature --

I.B.

SlamdunK's gear list:SlamdunK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +2 more
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
Clearly you have an opportunity here.

Seems to me you could be leveraging this into another camera for yourself. Maybe an EM1 or something

Obviously you wouldn't want a 2nd camera to be the same model as in his and her GX7's (though my wife and I drive his and her volts)

Then when you want really small you can steal (I mean borrow) your own stolen (I mean borrowed) GX7 back and you guys can share the EM1 with the more dedicated controls when you don't care so much about the size but want the feature set (and bit better color at high ISO than the GX7).

And, if she is really getting interested in photography, you've got a budding shared hobby to add to your foundation which can be fun too!

Who knows, maybe you can tell her how much she needs a 75 1.8 for portraits. My mind is spinning with the potentials. You can buy her a new gift for valentine's day, of course, some lens you want to borrow.

I see no problem here but only opportunity.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Big Ga
Like?
Re: Clearly you have an opportunity here.
In reply to John Mason, 11 months ago

John Mason wrote:

Obviously you wouldn't want a 2nd camera to be the same model

??

How is this 'obvious' ??

Helen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,008
Like?
Re: You've got it easy....
In reply to Big Ga, 11 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

Personally, I'd buy another GX7 - but try and get the different coloured one for differentiation.

Absolutely - the GX7 is a camera with practically everything and both versions look lovely (and quite different).  But then again, I could also (try to!) play "devil's advocate"...

Reasons over getting this over a GM1 ?

1. She might not be using the viewfinder now, but she might in the future (or if you go on holidays somewhere really bright etc)

True.  And of course the GM1's screen is also fixed.

2. The GX7 is going to be easier for someone who's serious about photography to learn quickly without menu diving.

Not as much in it as you might think, actually - the GM1 has a generous number of virtual Fn buttons at the side of the screen and one physical one - granted, it's not as direct-button endowed as the GX7 but nor is it starved of customisation and quick controls.  The most obvious missing physical control is an AE lock button.

3. What if she wants to use flash in the future?

Agreed on that one, assuming you're referring to an external flash, since you just couldn't on the GM1 except for a slave unit.

4. If she's stuck on some aspect, its going to be MUCH easier for you to explain if you're also using the same camera

Actually, the control interface is about 90% the same, if not more.

5. Another GX7 is a useful backup for YOU

True, though the GM1 has some of its own handy little differences for if you need something similar but different.

6. One battery charger. Much easier on hols.

Perhaps surprisingly, given it's an obviously different battery (in size too), they use the same charger!

7. You KNOW she likes the GX7. Why take the risk she might not like the GM1 ?

Probably best not to get one as a surprise, but go and check out the GM1 together and then decide... if you can.  I like them both!

KTClown
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Like?

rcjim wrote:

Get a new wife?

KTClown's gear list:KTClown's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 11 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

rcjim wrote:

Then there's the commandeering of lenses to consider and prepare for. [forehead smack!]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

My wife keeps taking my walk-about lens, the Oly 40-150.  I told her I could get her a silver one to match her camera & she said she does not need a silver one.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,904Gear list
Like?
My experience

Every time my wife borrowed a camera, it became her camera.

She borrowed my EP1, and I haven't seen it since. Of course, this became a good excuse for me to buy an EPL2. I almost wish she would borrow my EM5 so I could buy myself an EM1.

Since your wife likes the cute factor, and doesn't use the EVF, I think she really might like the Panasonic GM1. Then maybe you could borrow her lens!

I mean this thing is tiny.... even purse sized, and it should deliver really nice image quality.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
MrGubrz
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?

drag her out somewhere near the camera store

say "oh can we swing in? i wanted to see the other camera i had considered in person, theyve got it in stock"

gauge her reaction.

done!

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony RX1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?

rcjim wrote:

Don't be cheap give her a GX7 : after all this is the camera she likes and she may not appreciate the GM1 after tasting the GX7; from what I gave read, the sensor of the GM1 isn't as good as that of the GX7. Also the GM1 is not only lacking an EVF, but you can't take one as add-on either; worse, the LCD is fixed (more difficult to avoid bright lights). She will miss an EVF outdoors in the sun, even if she uses the LCD most of the time, there are situations where it is unavoidable (using slow speeds it helps with the stabilization and as said, in bright lights). Also the GM1 unlike the GX7 isn't stabilized in the body. She may notice it (getting more blurry shots).. Getting good shots is what hooks people to photography. If you get so so pictures, you loose interest.

So go for the GX7 : you already know for sure that she will like it.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427Gear list
Like?

If the looks of a cute P&S were the important factor, I doubt she would have taken such a liking to your GX7. Plus, it also might be taken as condescension on your part.

I'd either get her a GX7 or take her to the store.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?

Let her make the choice between the two.  I checked them both out...and bought both.  Different tools for different subjects.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,734Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 11 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

rcjim wrote:

My wife has always been a cheap point-and-shoot camera girl. However, I recently purchased the GX7 and now her point-and-shoot cameras are collecting dust. My wife is now even starting to ask about the advanced features of the GX7 and is actually learning about photography! The problem now is that I am now sharing the GX7 with my wife! She absolutely loves the GX7 (she also says the GX7 is so cute...LOL). I've been thinking about purchasing another GX7 as a Christmas gift for my wife; however, I'm wondering if the GM1 may be a better camera. She doesn't use the GX7's EVF and the GM1 would probably fit the "cute" category for her, as well :-D. Perhaps, I should take her to our local camera store and let her handle a GM1...but then I would be giving away that I'm considering buying her a camera for Christmas. Any suggestions?

If my wife had commandeered my camera, I'd be taking her out for an early birthday/holiday gift like - yesterday. You're fortunate it's the holiday season. It wouldn't mean the same thing to get her an early xmas gift in July (but one does what one must).

Then there's the commandeering of lenses to consider and prepare for. [forehead smack!]

But a non-obligatory gift (NOT Xmas, Solstice, birthday or whatever) means SO much more! It's an I REALLY care about you kind of thing! For no "real" reason.

I thank the Gods that my girlfriend and I have opted out of  gun-to-the head "giving"!!!!

I bought my GF a GX1, but she's sort of afraid of it, but really likes using it with the LVF2. When we "dropped by" B&H to check out the GM1 last week she was floored and now insists that I buy one.

Happy Whatever Days!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,734Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, 11 months ago

rrr_hhh wrote:

rcjim wrote:

Don't be cheap give her a GX7 : after all this is the camera she likes and she may not appreciate the GM1 after tasting the GX7; from what I gave read, the sensor of the GM1 isn't as good as that of the GX7. Also the GM1 is not only lacking an EVF, but you can't take one as add-on either; worse, the LCD is fixed (more difficult to avoid bright lights). She will miss an EVF outdoors in the sun, even if she uses the LCD most of the time, there are situations where it is unavoidable (using slow speeds it helps with the stabilization and as said, in bright lights). Also the GM1 unlike the GX7 isn't stabilized in the body. She may notice it (getting more blurry shots).. Getting good shots is what hooks people to photography. If you get so so pictures, you loose interest.

Not only that, TWO GX7s will make the perfect 2 cameras with different lenses kit!

One funny thing, when my girlfriend and I were in Marseille in September, she had the great idea to take photos of me taking photos, instead of taking the same shot. So when we combined our photos, there were shots of me contorting against walls, then the shots I took. Very funny and lots of fun!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,411Gear list
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, 11 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

rcjim wrote:

Not only that, TWO GX7s will make the perfect 2 cameras with different lenses kit!

One funny thing, when my girlfriend and I were in Marseille in September, she had the great idea to take photos of me taking photos, instead of taking the same shot. So when we combined our photos, there were shots of me contorting against walls, then the shots I took. Very funny and lots of fun!

This!

Travelling with 2 good cameras, and wandering around with different lenses can be great. My girlfriend and I just did a drive along the coast, her using the E-M5 + 75mm and me using the E-M1 + 12-60. Very different shots, and different perspectives, and a lot of fun had by all.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
JeanLucX
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, 11 months ago

Buy her one and you two share the lenses:)

JeanLucX's gear list:JeanLucX's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads