X100S - is the viewfinder OK for glasses?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
HAK
HAK
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
X100S - is the viewfinder OK for glasses?
4 months ago

I just played a bit with a X100S in a camera shop and loved it.

But: I have to wear glasses and sort of struggled with the field of view of the viewfinder.

I searched this forum and found seveal opposing remarks - but no post dealing just with this question:

How do you, who also wear glasses, come along with the viewfinder of the X100S?

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: X100S - is the viewfinder OK for glasses?
In reply to HAK, 4 months ago

HAK wrote:

I just played a bit with a X100S in a camera shop and loved it.

But: I have to wear glasses and sort of struggled with the field of view of the viewfinder.

I searched this forum and found seveal opposing remarks - but no post dealing just with this question:

How do you, who also wear glasses, come along with the viewfinder of the X100S?

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I wear glasses and use the X100 (Same exact viewfinder).  It's not a great experience.  Yes you can use it, it's not impossible, but it is difficult enough to the point where I wish I didnt need glasses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HAK
HAK
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 4 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:
I wear glasses and use the X100 (Same exact viewfinder). It's not a great experience. Yes you can use it, it's not impossible, but it is difficult enough to the point where I wish I didnt need glasses.

What is different with the X100(S) viewfinder compared to other cameras?

I have a Lumix GH2 and Fuji X-S1 - and both EVFs allow to see the full screen - plus some of the black frame area around - when I press my glasses against the rubber protection.

Why not with the X100S?

Do you think an added viewfinder-lens (like for the Leica Ms) could help?

Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?

HAK wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:
I wear glasses and use the X100 (Same exact viewfinder). It's not a great experience. Yes you can use it, it's not impossible, but it is difficult enough to the point where I wish I didnt need glasses.

What is different with the X100(S) viewfinder compared to other cameras?

I think the problem might be with my style of glasses.  They protrude out more than frames I've used in the past.

I have a Lumix GH2 and Fuji X-S1 - and both EVFs allow to see the full screen - plus some of the black frame area around - when I press my glasses against the rubber protection.

I have to push my glasses pretty hard against the viewfinder to see all of my X100's vision.

Why not with the X100S?

Do you think an added viewfinder-lens (like for the Leica Ms) could help?

Not really sure, I have no experience with such things.

Seppi Evans
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 4 months ago

I am very short-sighted around -11.5 on both eyes and use my X100S viewfinder without issue.

Seppi Evans's gear list:Seppi Evans's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon 1 V1
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

I wear glasses and happily use the VF of my X100S.

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,652Gear list
Like?

I wear glasses with a complex prescription….trifocals….no problems. The diopter adjusts perfectly and I never give the glasses or vf a second thought.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
uniball
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

I wear glasses with both my X100 and XE1. Its not a great experience and it would certainly be better without them. Compared to the Nikon dslr's I've had, its not as good. Compared to other non-dslr cameras I've owned or used, its much better.

You say you struggled. You know enough to make a decision. The experience other eyeglass wearers have is borderline irrelevant. The eyeglass frames, the shape of a person's face, the user's level of satisfaction/dissatisfaction are all variables. The only part that's not variable is the eye relief on the X100 and you've sampled it.

ny10522
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to uniball, 4 months ago

I wear glasses with dark Oakley sunglasses on top while using the camera. Doable, but far from perfect. Outside, it is difficult to discern camera setting info although the OVF is otherwise clear. Inside, just using glasses, there is no problem with either OVF or EVF. The EVF with the sunglasses is a struggle, but fortunately polarized lenses are OK when taking horizontal shots. With a vertical camera orientation I must flip the sunglasses off or see nothing. Fortunately, rubber surrounding the VF prevents glasses from being scratched. When doing street photography I sometimes use an external OVF on the hotshoe to see an enlarged target.

Of course, I could remove both glasses and sunglasses and then correct my vision through the viewfinder with the diopter adjustment. Just be there to catch me on crowded Manhattan streets.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads