E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
bramdo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
4 months ago

Hi,

As a happy E-M1 owner with the 12-40 pro lens I have a serious issue. The Olympus camera updater installed successfully firmware 1.1 but afterwards it's impossible to use autofocus. Normally you can change the focus from M to S-AF, C-AF etc by pressing the AF button and using the rear wheel however it's stock on M. For other functions the rear wheel works so that's not the problem. Anyone with the some issue or a tip because Christmas is coming, thanks, Bram

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,547Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to bramdo, 4 months ago

bramdo wrote:

Hi,

As a happy E-M1 owner with the 12-40 pro lens I have a serious issue. The Olympus camera updater installed successfully firmware 1.1 but afterwards it's impossible to use autofocus. Normally you can change the focus from M to S-AF, C-AF etc by pressing the AF button and using the rear wheel however it's stock on M. For other functions the rear wheel works so that's not the problem. Anyone with the some issue or a tip because Christmas is coming, thanks, Bram

If you are using the 12-40mm, make sure the AF/MF ring on the front portion of the lens is clicked forward.  If it's pushed back, the lens will be in MF only mode....

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bramdo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to jalywol, 4 months ago

jalywol wrote:

bramdo wrote:

Hi,

As a happy E-M1 owner with the 12-40 pro lens I have a serious issue. The Olympus camera updater installed successfully firmware 1.1 but afterwards it's impossible to use autofocus. Normally you can change the focus from M to S-AF, C-AF etc by pressing the AF button and using the rear wheel however it's stock on M. For other functions the rear wheel works so that's not the problem. Anyone with the some issue or a tip because Christmas is coming, thanks, Bram

If you are using the 12-40mm, make sure the AF/MF ring on the front portion of the lens is clicked forward. If it's pushed back, the lens will be in MF only mode....

-J

Thank you so much, solved for the camera, embarrassing for myself, sorry for the stupid question!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,547Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to bramdo, 4 months ago

Don't worry about it, everyone with one of these lenses has done it at least once....you are about the 10th poster in the past month with the same problem, so it's  definitely not you.

If we had a way to put a sticky announcement at the top of the forum about it, we would....but unfortunately we do not.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,587Gear list
Like?
Olympus needs to add a warning.
In reply to jalywol, 4 months ago

jalywol wrote:

Don't worry about it, everyone with one of these lenses has done it at least once....you are about the 10th poster in the past month with the same problem, so it's definitely not you.

If we had a way to put a sticky announcement at the top of the forum about it, we would....but unfortunately we do not.

-J

This is going to be an ongoing "problem" forever.

Olympus needs to add a menu optional warning message that is on by default from the factory.

Something along the lines of a 1 or 2 second screen splash saying "you are in manual focus, check the lens ring" (at turn on or at lens ring change, for those lenses with that feature) then maybe people will get the message.

Otherwise it's all about RTFM and being aware.

Regards.... Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
offtheback
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to bramdo, 4 months ago

bramdo wrote:

jalywol wrote:

bramdo wrote:

Hi,

As a happy E-M1 owner with the 12-40 pro lens I have a serious issue. The Olympus camera updater installed successfully firmware 1.1 but afterwards it's impossible to use autofocus. Normally you can change the focus from M to S-AF, C-AF etc by pressing the AF button and using the rear wheel however it's stock on M. For other functions the rear wheel works so that's not the problem. Anyone with the some issue or a tip because Christmas is coming, thanks, Bram

If you are using the 12-40mm, make sure the AF/MF ring on the front portion of the lens is clicked forward. If it's pushed back, the lens will be in MF only mode....

-J

Thank you so much, solved for the camera, embarrassing for myself, sorry for the stupid question!

It took the OLY tech support guy 20 minutes to figure it out when it happened to me.Don't feel bad.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
twenty200
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to bramdo, 4 months ago

bramdo wrote:

Thank you so much, solved for the camera, embarrassing for myself, sorry for the stupid question!

Don't be embarrassed! I did the EXACT same thing last night and got so frustrated... and then felt so stoooooooooooopid. I had to remind myself that it's a new camera and a new lens.

-- hide signature --

This is the world, the way I see it: http://twenty200.com

 twenty200's gear list:twenty200's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
twenty200
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to offtheback, 4 months ago

offtheback wrote:

It took the OLY tech support guy 20 minutes to figure it out when it happened to me.Don't feel bad.

That's awesome!  I assume that at some point, all of our technology will have an "Awe c'mon" feature with a computer voice that kicks in during obvious user errors with semi-abusive verbal tips like "Awe c'mon!  You pulled the ring on the front of the lens to shift it into manual.  Flip it back to auto."

Quite frankly, I'd rather have an automated voice belittle me rather than the overly sincere garbage we get when calling tech support.  Good grief, I can't stand those automated menu systems.

"In order to get you the best help, tell me what seems to be the problem."

"GET ME A HUMAN BEING!!!"

"Great!  I think you'd like to speak to an agent.  First, tell me what seems to be the problem so I can..."

"GET ME A HUMAN BEING YOU STUPID PIECE OF WASTED TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!"

I'd feel a lot better if the automated voice was rude to me too...  but maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.

-- hide signature --

This is the world, the way I see it: http://twenty200.com

 twenty200's gear list:twenty200's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 2,724Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus needs to add a warning.
In reply to Guy Parsons, 4 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Don't worry about it, everyone with one of these lenses has done it at least once....you are about the 10th poster in the past month with the same problem, so it's definitely not you.

If we had a way to put a sticky announcement at the top of the forum about it, we would....but unfortunately we do not.

-J

This is going to be an ongoing "problem" forever.

Olympus needs to add a menu optional warning message that is on by default from the factory.

Something along the lines of a 1 or 2 second screen splash saying "you are in manual focus, check the lens ring" (at turn on or at lens ring change, for those lenses with that feature) then maybe people will get the message.

Otherwise it's all about RTFM and being aware.

This is a do it once and remember forever thing. There are other candidates for this group. Panasonic ultra high speed continuous shooting could confuse the owner into believing that they are stuck in video mode, for instance.

If you stick an FAQ item in the forum, most people would still post questions as these are not obviously frequently asked questions to the person stuck and in frustration.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,198
Like?
Re: Olympus needs to add a warning.
In reply to Guy Parsons, 4 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

This is going to be an ongoing "problem" forever.

Hmmmm.

Well, its possible I've missed the posts, but the strange thing is, I can't say I can recall EVER reading a single one of this type of thread over on the Nikon forums ???

That does open up the door to the possibility of some fascinating theories 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,587Gear list
Like?
Add your theories here....
In reply to Big Ga, 4 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

This is going to be an ongoing "problem" forever.

Hmmmm.

Well, its possible I've missed the posts, but the strange thing is, I can't say I can recall EVER reading a single one of this type of thread over on the Nikon forums ???

That does open up the door to the possibility of some fascinating theories

Theory 1. Many of the people indulging in E-M1 +12-40mm have sprung from the compact world and are not necessarily used to the complexities of the system camera world.

Theory 2. ... your turn to add a theory ...

Regards...... Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,265Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to offtheback, 4 months ago

offtheback wrote:

bramdo wrote:

jalywol wrote:

bramdo wrote:

Hi,

As a happy E-M1 owner with the 12-40 pro lens I have a serious issue. The Olympus camera updater installed successfully firmware 1.1 but afterwards it's impossible to use autofocus. Normally you can change the focus from M to S-AF, C-AF etc by pressing the AF button and using the rear wheel however it's stock on M. For other functions the rear wheel works so that's not the problem. Anyone with the some issue or a tip because Christmas is coming, thanks, Bram

If you are using the 12-40mm, make sure the AF/MF ring on the front portion of the lens is clicked forward. If it's pushed back, the lens will be in MF only mode....

-J

Thank you so much, solved for the camera, embarrassing for myself, sorry for the stupid question!

It took the OLY tech support guy 20 minutes to figure it out when it happened to me.Don't feel bad.

I figured it out myself after twenty minutes.  (Keen attention to detail, after twenty minutes of frustrated menu trawling -- "I don't remember a distance scale being on the front of the lens... oh.")

Was quite useful for menu familiarisation, I suppose...

 boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bramdo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: E-M1 more documentation would be nice
In reply to twenty200, 4 months ago

Hi,

thanks for the technical and mental support

Like some of you, I would really like some more documentation. For example, it is strange that I can't find the answer on the question that the ac-3 adapter is able to charge both the grip's battery and the one in the camera. Thankfully there are helpful forums like this one but in the end the customer needs to do some serious research when using the camera and it's advanced features. And although this can be fun, taking pictures is the main goal.

Anyhow, thanks again, Bram

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wansai
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to bramdo, 4 months ago

no need to feel stupid over it. it is new gear and new gear come with their own things to deal with. i did this the first week and thought my lense was malfunctioning. this happened on a shoot! luckily i switched to my em5 as backup on my shoulder. after a break i fiddled around and found i forgot to push the ring back after putting it into manual.

it hasnt happened again since.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads