E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update

Started Dec 14, 2013 | Discussions
bramdo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
Dec 14, 2013

Hi,

As a happy E-M1 owner with the 12-40 pro lens I have a serious issue. The Olympus camera updater installed successfully firmware 1.1 but afterwards it's impossible to use autofocus. Normally you can change the focus from M to S-AF, C-AF etc by pressing the AF button and using the rear wheel however it's stock on M. For other functions the rear wheel works so that's not the problem. Anyone with the some issue or a tip because Christmas is coming, thanks, Bram

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,410Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 autofocus blocked in M after firmware update
In reply to bramdo, Dec 14, 2013

bramdo wrote:

Hi,

As a happy E-M1 owner with the 12-40 pro lens I have a serious issue. The Olympus camera updater installed successfully firmware 1.1 but afterwards it's impossible to use autofocus. Normally you can change the focus from M to S-AF, C-AF etc by pressing the AF button and using the rear wheel however it's stock on M. For other functions the rear wheel works so that's not the problem. Anyone with the some issue or a tip because Christmas is coming, thanks, Bram

If you are using the 12-40mm, make sure the AF/MF ring on the front portion of the lens is clicked forward.  If it's pushed back, the lens will be in MF only mode....

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bramdo
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Dec 14, 2013

jalywol wrote:

bramdo wrote:

Hi,

As a happy E-M1 owner with the 12-40 pro lens I have a serious issue. The Olympus camera updater installed successfully firmware 1.1 but afterwards it's impossible to use autofocus. Normally you can change the focus from M to S-AF, C-AF etc by pressing the AF button and using the rear wheel however it's stock on M. For other functions the rear wheel works so that's not the problem. Anyone with the some issue or a tip because Christmas is coming, thanks, Bram

If you are using the 12-40mm, make sure the AF/MF ring on the front portion of the lens is clicked forward. If it's pushed back, the lens will be in MF only mode....

-J

Thank you so much, solved for the camera, embarrassing for myself, sorry for the stupid question!

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,410Gear list
Like?

Don't worry about it, everyone with one of these lenses has done it at least once....you are about the 10th poster in the past month with the same problem, so it's  definitely not you.

If we had a way to put a sticky announcement at the top of the forum about it, we would....but unfortunately we do not.

-J

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,467Gear list
Like?
Olympus needs to add a warning.
In reply to jalywol, Dec 14, 2013

jalywol wrote:

Don't worry about it, everyone with one of these lenses has done it at least once....you are about the 10th poster in the past month with the same problem, so it's definitely not you.

If we had a way to put a sticky announcement at the top of the forum about it, we would....but unfortunately we do not.

-J

This is going to be an ongoing "problem" forever.

Olympus needs to add a menu optional warning message that is on by default from the factory.

Something along the lines of a 1 or 2 second screen splash saying "you are in manual focus, check the lens ring" (at turn on or at lens ring change, for those lenses with that feature) then maybe people will get the message.

Otherwise it's all about RTFM and being aware.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
offtheback
Regular MemberPosts: 468Gear list
Like?

bramdo wrote:

jalywol wrote:

bramdo wrote:

Hi,

If you are using the 12-40mm, make sure the AF/MF ring on the front portion of the lens is clicked forward. If it's pushed back, the lens will be in MF only mode....

-J

Thank you so much, solved for the camera, embarrassing for myself, sorry for the stupid question!

It took the OLY tech support guy 20 minutes to figure it out when it happened to me.Don't feel bad.

twenty200
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?

bramdo wrote:

Don't be embarrassed! I did the EXACT same thing last night and got so frustrated... and then felt so stoooooooooooopid. I had to remind myself that it's a new camera and a new lens.

-- hide signature --

This is the world, the way I see it: http://twenty200.com

twenty200's gear list:twenty200's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
twenty200
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
In reply to offtheback, Dec 14, 2013

offtheback wrote:

It took the OLY tech support guy 20 minutes to figure it out when it happened to me.Don't feel bad.

That's awesome!  I assume that at some point, all of our technology will have an "Awe c'mon" feature with a computer voice that kicks in during obvious user errors with semi-abusive verbal tips like "Awe c'mon!  You pulled the ring on the front of the lens to shift it into manual.  Flip it back to auto."

Quite frankly, I'd rather have an automated voice belittle me rather than the overly sincere garbage we get when calling tech support.  Good grief, I can't stand those automated menu systems.

"In order to get you the best help, tell me what seems to be the problem."

"GET ME A HUMAN BEING!!!"

"Great!  I think you'd like to speak to an agent.  First, tell me what seems to be the problem so I can..."

"GET ME A HUMAN BEING YOU STUPID PIECE OF WASTED TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!"

I'd feel a lot better if the automated voice was rude to me too...  but maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.

-- hide signature --

This is the world, the way I see it: http://twenty200.com

twenty200's gear list:twenty200's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 4,138Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus needs to add a warning.
In reply to Guy Parsons, Dec 14, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Don't worry about it, everyone with one of these lenses has done it at least once....you are about the 10th poster in the past month with the same problem, so it's definitely not you.

-J

Olympus needs to add a menu optional warning message that is on by default from the factory.

Something along the lines of a 1 or 2 second screen splash saying "you are in manual focus, check the lens ring" (at turn on or at lens ring change, for those lenses with that feature) then maybe people will get the message.

Otherwise it's all about RTFM and being aware.

This is a do it once and remember forever thing. There are other candidates for this group. Panasonic ultra high speed continuous shooting could confuse the owner into believing that they are stuck in video mode, for instance.

If you stick an FAQ item in the forum, most people would still post questions as these are not obviously frequently asked questions to the person stuck and in frustration.

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,739
Like?
Re: Olympus needs to add a warning.
In reply to Guy Parsons, Dec 14, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

Hmmmm.

Well, its possible I've missed the posts, but the strange thing is, I can't say I can recall EVER reading a single one of this type of thread over on the Nikon forums ???

That does open up the door to the possibility of some fascinating theories 

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,467Gear list
Like?
Add your theories here....
In reply to Big Ga, Dec 15, 2013

Big Ga wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Hmmmm.

Well, its possible I've missed the posts, but the strange thing is, I can't say I can recall EVER reading a single one of this type of thread over on the Nikon forums ???

Theory 1. Many of the people indulging in E-M1 +12-40mm have sprung from the compact world and are not necessarily used to the complexities of the system camera world.

Theory 2. ... your turn to add a theory ...

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,295Gear list
Like?
In reply to offtheback, Dec 15, 2013

offtheback wrote:

bramdo wrote:

jalywol wrote:

bramdo wrote:

Hi,

-J

I figured it out myself after twenty minutes.  (Keen attention to detail, after twenty minutes of frustrated menu trawling -- "I don't remember a distance scale being on the front of the lens... oh.")

Was quite useful for menu familiarisation, I suppose...

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
bramdo
Like?
Re: E-M1 more documentation would be nice
In reply to twenty200, Dec 15, 2013

Hi,

thanks for the technical and mental support

Like some of you, I would really like some more documentation. For example, it is strange that I can't find the answer on the question that the ac-3 adapter is able to charge both the grip's battery and the one in the camera. Thankfully there are helpful forums like this one but in the end the customer needs to do some serious research when using the camera and it's advanced features. And although this can be fun, taking pictures is the main goal.

Anyhow, thanks again, Bram

wansai
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
In reply to bramdo, Dec 16, 2013

no need to feel stupid over it. it is new gear and new gear come with their own things to deal with. i did this the first week and thought my lense was malfunctioning. this happened on a shoot! luckily i switched to my em5 as backup on my shoulder. after a break i fiddled around and found i forgot to push the ring back after putting it into manual.

it hasnt happened again since.

BobTheLob
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to wansai, 4 months ago

Hmm.  This happened to me on a recent 6 week camping trip to some remote areas of Australia.  I took my near new EM1 with Oly 12-40 + some other lenses with my EM5 and Pana 14-45 as a backup.  Halfway through the trip the 12-40 wouldn't AF.  Checked the lens for an AF switch, trawled through menus to no avail.  Tried it on the Em5.  I had no manual and was away from any Internet access.  The EM5 with the 14-45 became my workhorse.

Got home and l looked at it again.  Cleaned the contacts on the 12-40.  Checked all the menus.  Getting ready to send the lens off to Olympus I thouight I'd see if Google might come up with something and I found this thread....

I must have knocked the MF ring when reversing the hood to put the camera back in my bag....

uRebel Rob
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
Re: at least Olympus is not as obvious...
In reply to Big Ga, 4 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Hmmmm.

I ran into this problem on my Nikon gear before (lens switch set to MF). I didn't figure it out until after the fact ether. And a blatant switch is more intuitive to spot than a push/pull ring. I've even seen it posted on other forums before on nikon and canon gear. It's even more a "D'oh!" moment because it's more obvious and less posted (because of the former?).

uRebel Rob's gear list:uRebel Rob's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Nikon D5100 +7 more
jay coffsky
Regular MemberPosts: 338
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 4 months ago
-- hide signature --

happened to me and i felt like a fool when took omd1 back to the camera store
jay coffsky

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,261Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 4 months ago

jalywol wrote:

Don't worry about it, everyone with one of these lenses has done it at least once....

I've done it so often that it no longer causes me any consternation. It did the first 5-10 times though.

The thing is, I have to a button programmed to turn it on for the 50-200 lens so I don't really need the, otherwise, hand ring feature.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads