kelly15
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Xe1 better quality than xe2?
10 months ago

I read this statement somewhere.

Is there anyone here which can confirm?

kelly15's gear list:kelly15's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294Gear list
Like?
Re: Xe1 better quality than xe2?
In reply to kelly15, 10 months ago

kelly15 wrote:

There is no right or wrong answer to your question. Some may find the X-E2 better some may find the opposite.

If you are asking for people's personal opinions, then yes, I do believe the X-E1 has it over the X-E2 as far as pure image quality goes. But not by much but enough for me to be pleased I've got an X-E1 and not an X-E2. I'm particularly fussy about sharpness and color rendering, especially skin tones.

I've read at least one post where an X-E2 owner concluded the X-E1 captures superior dynamic range i.e. brings out shadow detail fractionally better than the X-E2 when in the same situation.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
naftade
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, 10 months ago

kelly15 wrote:

There is no right or wrong answer to your question. Some may find the X-E2 better some may find the opposite.

If you are asking for people's personal opinions, then yes, I do believe the X-E1 has it over the X-E2 as far as pure image quality goes. But not by much but enough for me to be pleased I've got an X-E1 and not an X-E2. I'm particularly fussy about sharpness and color rendering, especially skin tones.

I've read at least one post where an X-E2 owner concluded the X-E1 captures superior dynamic range i.e. brings out shadow detail fractionally better than the X-E2 when in the same situation.

I don't have an x-e1. But I've read that Fuji did apply a somewhat steeper tone curve. That does not mean the sensor cannot capture the same amount of dynamic range. It's just a jpeg default which easyly can be adjusted via the q-menu. Just play around a little with the highlight or shadow tone settings. Another option is of course to use the dro settings. Put it to 400 and you'll get a lot of dr.

naftade's gear list:naftade's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
mooshoepork
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
In reply to naftade, 10 months ago

kelly15 wrote:

I don't have an x-e1. But I've read that Fuji did apply a somewhat steeper tone curve. That does not mean the sensor cannot capture the same amount of dynamic range. It's just a jpeg default which easyly can be adjusted via the q-menu. Just play around a little with the highlight or shadow tone settings. Another option is of course to use the dro settings. Put it to 400 and you'll get a lot of dr.

Yeah, this^

X-e1 is not better than the x-e2. This happens every time a new camera comes out so people can convince themselves not to upgrade.

It happened with the x100, and it's happening now.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to mooshoepork, 10 months ago

kelly15 wrote:

Yeah, this^

X-e1 is not better than the x-e2. This happens every time a new camera comes out so people can convince themselves not to upgrade.

Image quality is very subjective just like films were in days gone by. Only now we have tests and data to consider.

The current trend is to judge IQ in a more data driven technic capacity - ie looking at the numbers.

For others it's color rendition, and for some it's how much noise (or lack thereof) that determines quality.

And there are still some who feel most cameras provide ample image quality to satisfy their needs so I is actually second place to ergonomics, usability and features.

How you as a person judge image quality will define whether one camera is better than another. Which is why you'll never get everyone agreeing which is better on here.

dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 279
Like?

mooshoepork wrote:

Yeah, this^

Not any different than X-E2 purchasers trying to convince themselves that $400 more for the body or $500 more for the body/18-55 combo was worth it.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,719Gear list
Like?

kelly15 wrote:

I never owned an X-E1.  My goal was to have at least the same quality, if not slightly better that I had with my FF 5DII.  And I wanted a smaller fun form factor and great lenses.  The X-E2 answered all my needs so I sold the Canon.

You can probably set up the X-E1 and X-E2 to look identical by not using the presets which are evidently different.  You also have to consider if the faster PDAF AF and EVF refresh rate is worth it to you.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +5 more
EugeneC
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

mooshoepork wrote:

kelly15 wrote:

Yeah, this^

+100

EugeneC's gear list:EugeneC's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +16 more
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,058Gear list
Like?

mooshoepork wrote:

kelly15 wrote:

Yeah, this^

I think it happens more often the other way around. People who have rushed to buy the X-E2 at MSRP have to justify the purchase. I have a DSLR that recently broke and I can't get it repaired. I took out my previous DSLR, same brand, and was shocked at the difference. The technology packed into the new model is clearly superior but the quality of construction isn't.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 10 months ago

The X-E1 has been out on the market for about a year now, and there have been several firmware upgrades.  It is pretty much at a state where the bugs are gone.  The X-E2 has not been through this cycle yet, but should be there after a firmware upgrade or two.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Fujifilm X-E1 Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 ED UMC CS Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +5 more
jmczaja
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?

kelly15 wrote:

I haven't owned an X-E1 but i do own both an x100 and just got an X-E2 (w/ 18-55mm, 14mm and 35mm). I never feel the need to justify my purchases. It seems like there's a trend here that folks that are happy with their purchase get accused of somehow trying to justify owning the camera. C'mon now, lets be real, compared to other camera's, the X-series cameras are pretty affordable and I don't think most people need to convince themselves that they made the right decision. But maybe that's just me..

Anyhow.. I think the output of the camera is fantastic for the price. Are there some things that can be better? Of course, but i think the same can be said for any camera. Does the X-E1 take better pictures than the X-E2? I certainly have not seen any evidence online to support this statement. Those who shot both mention the JPEG engine renders files a bit differently but it is it any better or worse? I don't think so. My only issue is not being able to turn off noise reduction on JPEGs at higher ISOs. It doesn't affect me because i shot RAW anyhow but i'd still like to see this sorted out for the few times i'd like a quick OOC JPEG. Another note on picture quality is that I couldn't be happier with the DR this camera is capable of with both JPEGs and more so with RAW. If you have a problem getting a good image from the X-E2, it's most certainly not the camera that's at fault.

..and to Billy, there's a lot of silly members here with the same tired BS, stiring up the pot with the same BS every single day, multiple times a day but your posts take it to another level. same thing over and over and OVER. It's getting a little old, just saying.. If you have such a strong opinion, please back it up with something substantial to support your claims.

jmczaja's gear list:jmczaja's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685
Like?

Yeah i think so. I've got the X-E1 and i can't see me changing it until the Fuji OLED sensor is available and see how that measures up.

DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?

No.

I handled both and have the x-e2 now.

Buttons/knobs are tighter and more solid feeling.

Evf is frame rates are smooth and doesn't lag in low light. Operational speed feels 2x as fast and maybe even more. The x-e1 gets into a weird jerky studdering state a lot. The af feels much snappier even without phase detect. The buffer clears much much faster.

The only complaint I'm seeing in the forum that is legit is 6400 ISO jpegs. I don't ever go ISO 6400 (come on 1.4 lenses!). I rarely go 3200. Also I don't use JPEG.

For me there is no doubt that x-e2 is a much better quality camera.

For 6400 JPEG shooters that complain about not getting 100% satisfactory skin at 6400 ISO then the x-e2 isn't the camera for you. (Besides in that low of light your Evf LCD will be so laggy it's be hard to get a shot)

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 10 months ago

stimpy wrote:

kelly15 wrote:

Yeah, this^

Image quality is very subjective just like films were in days gone by. Only now we have tests and data to consider.

The current trend is to judge IQ in a more data driven technic capacity - ie looking at the numbers.

For others it's color rendition, and for some it's how much noise (or lack thereof) that determines quality.

And there are still some who feel most cameras provide ample image quality to satisfy their needs so I is actually second place to ergonomics, usability and features.

How you as a person judge image quality will define whether one camera is better than another. Which is why you'll never get everyone agreeing which is better on here.

+1!

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187Gear list
Like?

kelly15 wrote:

Yes. Confirmed.

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,829Gear list
Like?
I hope you are LISTENING Fuji.
In reply to stimpy, 10 months ago

stimpy wrote:

kelly15 wrote:

Yeah, this^

I like your comment stimpy.

If FUJI is going the same path, with this "CURRENT TRENT" that you mentioned, then they are going to go DOWN, i tell you.  The reason why i am not buying a nikon camera is exactly because of that, they are concentrating in this "current technic trent", instead of improving and fixing white balance and skin tones.

If Fuji follows the same path, I might as well go back and get a D7000 that i sold more than a year ago.  SIMPLE AS THAT.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Kevin Patrick
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Nope.

kelly15 wrote:

After all of the thousands of words that have been posted in this forum arguing the merits of the X-E1 versus the X-E2 image quality not one single picture has been posted to support any of these claims - not one.

Kevin Patrick's gear list:Kevin Patrick's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D700 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +16 more
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,849Gear list
Like?
No.

kelly15 wrote:

I've recently downloaded test shots of both and can't see any substantive difference.

JPEG defaults have been updated to provide a more punchy tone curve out of the camera (most people boost contrast as the first step). You can adjust the shadow and highlight tone to vary the tone curve without touching the DR controls.

In RAW, there does not appear to be much if any difference. If there is it is slightly in favour of the XE2 (reports of improved microlenses and image readout may account for slight improvement in high ISO noise) but I cannot easily see it.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D800
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: No.
In reply to 57even, 10 months ago

X-E1 -little sharper.

X-E2 has a very slight edge in RAW performance over the X-E1

here:

admiringlight.com/blog/fujifilm-x-e1-vs-x-e2-raw-performance/

mdavidp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,192Gear list
Like?
Re: No.
In reply to 57even, 10 months ago

I tested my XE-2 against my XPro1 with the 23 1.4 Lens.

Firstly the lens is very sharp early and becomes amazing later up the F scale.

Even so I found Better results at the early corners with the XE-2. I also very much like the coloration.

There was a smoothness and pastel-film quality that was different with the XE-2 that I preferred. My

tests were conducted on landscapes at ISO 200.

I certainly could have returned the camera, but will not.

Mike P

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Samsung NX2000 Samsung NX 10mm F3.5 Fisheye Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads