Olympus M.ZUIKO 75mm f1.8 - Questions!

Started 7 months ago | Questions
twenty200
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
Olympus M.ZUIKO 75mm f1.8 - Questions!
7 months ago

Olympus is currently offering $200 off certain lenses when purchased with a body.  I'm not sure which bodies the deal works with, but I bought the E-M1, and it qualifies with that...  so...

I picked up the 12-40 pro lens for $200 off, and - wow - I'm stunned.  It's an absolutely superb lens.  I'm debating also picking up the 75mm, since it's on the same $200 off with a body deal (which expires today - Saturday).  My question is...

How good of a deal is that lens at $699?

I do street photography, primarily with an interest in abstracts and details (stripes, patterns, textures, shapes, words out of context, etc.  There's a link to my stuff below)  ...I'm a bit intimidated by the distance.  75mm on M3/4 is 150mm!  But then again, the 12-40 has the majority of my needs covered quite well.

I'd hate to miss out on that price unless it can often be had for the same or less.

Do you do street photography?  Any experience with this lens?  Thoughts?  ...?

-- hide signature --

This is the world, the way I see it: http://twenty200.com

twenty200's gear list:twenty200's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus M.ZUIKO 75mm f1.8 - Questions!
In reply to twenty200, 7 months ago

Awesome lens. One of my favorites. Compensates for the lack of dof by its focal length and aperture when needed. Razor sharp. Stunning contrasts. Excellent for street photography when you can be less intimidating using a longer focal length in combo with the flip screen.

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?

twenty200 wrote:

Olympus is currently offering $200 off certain lenses when purchased with a body. I'm not sure which bodies the deal works with, but I bought the E-M1, and it qualifies with that... so...

I picked up the 12-40 pro lens for $200 off, and - wow - I'm stunned. It's an absolutely superb lens. I'm debating also picking up the 75mm, since it's on the same $200 off with a body deal (which expires today - Saturday). My question is...

I do street photography, primarily with an interest in abstracts and details (stripes, patterns, textures, shapes, words out of context, etc. There's a link to my stuff below) ...I'm a bit intimidated by the distance. 75mm on M3/4 is 150mm! But then again, the 12-40 has the majority of my needs covered quite well.

I'd hate to miss out on that price unless it can often be had for the same or less.

Do you do street photography? Any experience with this lens? Thoughts? ...?

-- hide signature --

The 75mm is the best MFT lens, the sharpest etc.. Beautiful bokeh, stunning micro contrast. but it is a little long, one has to get accustomed to it. I use it more or less for the same kind of shots as you. It will be more for abstracts than for what is usually intended by street photography ( catching people interacting in the streets implies shorter focal ranges). But it could easily produce street portraits. I had to get accustomed to that focal length first. I was more comfortable with the 90-120mm range. I use it for landscape photography too. I love it now !

To sum up : the lens us beautiful, but the focal length may be less useful and less frequently used by some.

Of course it is a very good deal ! Given the lens IQ. The question is whether you will feel comfortable with its focal length. It isn't a lens for indoors homes, it has a rather long near focusing distance.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,416
Like?

It's really, really, really, really good.

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,198
Like?

twenty200 wrote:

Olympus is currently offering $200 off certain lenses when purchased with a body. I'm not sure which bodies the deal works with, but I bought the E-M1, and it qualifies with that... so...

I picked up the 12-40 pro lens for $200 off, and - wow - I'm stunned. It's an absolutely superb lens. I'm debating also picking up the 75mm, since it's on the same $200 off with a body deal (which expires today - Saturday). My question is...

Excellent deal.

I do street photography, primarily with an interest in abstracts and details (stripes, patterns, textures, shapes, words out of context, etc. There's a link to my stuff below) ...I'm a bit intimidated by the distance. 75mm on M3/4 is 150mm! But then again, the 12-40 has the majority of my needs covered quite weissuer

It is a great lens, no doubt but for what you actually do, it is maybe nice to have but not really needed. You will be much better off with your 12-40 on the street.

I wouldn't be very concerned about that. I bought my 75mm last year with a similar rabate. It will come back.

I do a lot of street photography and have very little use for it. Portraiture work, where it really shines is a different story.

I looked at your photography and really liked what you do. My wife has a similar style of abstract photography which she exhibits regularly. If I may give you and advise, i think that for what you do, better invest that money in an UW zoom such as the Panny 7-14mm. It will give you much  more creative  possibilities than the 75mm.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to Moti, 7 months ago

Moti wrote:

twenty200 wrote:

Excellent deal.

I do street photography, primarily with an interest in abstracts and details (stripes, patterns, textures, shapes, words out of context, etc. There's a link to my stuff below) ...I'm a bit intimidated by the distance. 75mm on M3/4 is 150mm! But then again, the 12-40 has the majority of my needs covered quite weissuer

It is a great lens, no doubt but for what you actually do, it is maybe nice to have but not really needed. You will be much better off with your 12-40 on the street.

I wouldn't be very concerned about that. I bought my 75mm last year with a similar rabate. It will come back.

I do a lot of street photography and have very little use for it. Portraiture work, where it really shines is a different story.

I looked at your photography and really liked what you do. My wife has a similar style of abstract photography which she exhibits regularly. If I may give you and advise, i think that for what you do, better invest that money in an UW zoom such as the Panny 7-14mm. It will give you much more creative possibilities than the 75mm.

-- hide signature --

Curious, now that I have looked at his website, I think exactly the contrary : the 75mm May suits him very well. I didn't see large use of wide angle of view, rather the contrary. Where did you look ? at the website he mentions in his signature ?

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?

I have a recent thread where I am struggling with it's focal length.  The 45mm prime could do no wrong and with the 75mm I was always "too close." -- it was too long for around the house and too short for telephoto..  I was convinced I would send it back.

I took it to Venice beach to try "street" shots and found it worked a lot better in that venue.  I was moving my feet a lot, though.   Not noticing photo ops until I was too close and had to back up.   Frequently I was "across the street" from my subject.  Halfway through my visit I changed to my 12-40mm and immediately felt more comfortable.  But when I came home and looked at my photos, I found the 75mm shots interesting enough to keep, and I was blown away by the IQ.

So, right now I will keep it  (and $699 is a great price -- care to share?), but it does take getting used too and I won't say that I am there yet after a week of trying.   It is great when you are close up and want bokeh and subject isolation!

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,690Gear list
Like?
-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,690Gear list
Like?
Re: Where can you buy this lens for 699.00 ?
In reply to Bobby J, 7 months ago
-- hide signature --

BJM

Deleted010614
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, 7 months ago

After looking at his work I have to agree, this WOULD be a heavily used piece of glass for him.

I also agree his work is very powerful, I found myself mesmerized by it and the captions he chose for them. He is definitely an artist for sure!

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,493Gear list
Like?

I don't know where you're shopping, but everywhere I've looked, that deal is on until December 31.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
Pom_ZJ
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
In reply to Bobby J, 7 months ago
Brendan Delaney
Contributing MemberPosts: 648Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pom_ZJ, 7 months ago

Looked at your website. This would be the perfect lens for you. Close in crops and crushed perspective.

-- hide signature --

www.brendandelaneyphotography.com
Street, Urban and Documentary Photography

Brendan Delaney's gear list:Brendan Delaney's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
twenty200
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, 7 months ago

janeenadamsmartin wrote:

I have a recent thread where I am struggling with it's focal length. The 45mm prime could do no wrong and with the 75mm I was always "too close." -- it was too long for around the house and too short for telephoto.. I was convinced I would send it back.

I took it to Venice beach to try "street" shots and found it worked a lot better in that venue. I was moving my feet a lot, though. Not noticing photo ops until I was too close and had to back up. Frequently I was "across the street" from my subject. Halfway through my visit I changed to my 12-40mm and immediately felt more comfortable. But when I came home and looked at my photos, I found the 75mm shots interesting enough to keep, and I was blown away by the IQ.

So, right now I will keep it (and $699 is a great price -- care to share?), but it does take getting used too and I won't say that I am there yet after a week of trying. It is great when you are close up and want bokeh and subject isolation!

Apparently, Olympus was offering a deal where you could get a $200 rebate on certain lenses (obviously, the expensive ones!) when purchased with an EM1.  Then they switched it from a $200 rebate to $200 instant cash back TANGENT: why do stores say that?!  It's really $200 off.  I suppose it's because they're not allowed to show the lens with the lower price, thus it's $899 with $200 instant cash back rather than being $699, even though that's exactly what it turns out to be in the end.

Anyway...  I got the 12-40 with $200 off.  That's a sweet deal on an astounding lens.  I'm still debating whether to grab the 75mm before the deal expires today.  The shop said they'd honor the deal since I just bought my EM1 yesterday, though I have to bring in my receipt to technically return it and repurchase with the extra lens since the deal only works with purchase of a body.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
twenty200
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 7 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

I don't know where you're shopping, but everywhere I've looked, that deal is on until December 31.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Interesting!  I was told that they only knew it would be current until today.

-- hide signature --

twenty200
Like?
In reply to Deleted010614, 7 months ago

Eric Lawson wrote:

After looking at his work I have to agree, this WOULD be a heavily used piece of glass for him.

I also agree his work is very powerful, I found myself mesmerized by it and the captions he chose for them. He is definitely an artist for sure!

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Thank you very much!  I probably shouldn't mention this, but, I'm actually legally blind (even with correction).  Hence the name of my website and my clever tag line: This is the world, the way I see it.  20/200.  Lol, right?  Yeah, well, I do the best I can with what I've got, vision wise.  One compelling thing about the EM1 for me that most people never consider is the big bright green numbers for info in the viewfinder.  This is the first camera I've ever owned where I can actually read that stuff in the viewfinder.  Most of the other icons on the sides are too small to be helpful to me, but it's awesome to finally have readable aperture, shutter and exposure comp info in the viewfinder.

Unless I find a different lens that is as compelling of a purchase as the 75, I'll probably snatch that one up.  $200 off that beast is something I don't want to pass up.  Wide primes don't interest me, especially since my 12-40 covers that well enough for my needs and performs so astonishingly well.

-- hide signature --

BNJO
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?

I've done a little street photography with the 75mm 1.8 on E-M5. Its handy but the caveat is the focal length/crop factor. Street fair shots must often be composed from a fair distance- and that distance in crowded conditions means much may come between you and your subject i.e. traffic, pedestrians- you name it. -I think folks recommending this lens for concert/sports photos hit the nail on the head although you'd have to decide whether the 1.8 is fast enough in comparison to 1.4 or faster lenses. I have yet to use the 75mm at the zoo but have high hopes for it after seeing the FL/aperture limitations of the 12-50 kit lens there.

The upside of the 75mm FL is getting good shots from the same distance which allows the many intrusions into your field of view. -Handy for candids or shots which might arouse a hostile response. Junkies and vandals around my area are reactive and sometimes violent on learning they're in view, so an insulating distance from a potentially dangerous situation can be a very good thing.

-My favorite portraits using the 75mm 1.8 are those shot from about 10 feet away for high quality head-and-shoulders images. Add another subject or two to the composition and shooting distance must increase apace.

-Brian

baggyns
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to BNJO, 7 months ago

The Oly 75mm is a fabulous lens, and it's ultra sharp! For street photography I often carry two bodies; the EM-1 with the 12-40 and the EM-5 with the 75 - pretty much everything I want is covered. The 75mm is also a brilliant portrait lens. I love it so much I look for reasons to use it.

baggyns's gear list:baggyns's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +8 more
twenty200
Like?
In reply to baggyns, 7 months ago

I offered to leave my ID and credit card with the shop if they'd let me borrow the lens for 10 minutes or so to walk around the block once or twice and try it out, but they said no.  I think they'd have said yes if it weren't for the fact that the shop was so busy with holiday shoppers.  Anyway...  I bought it.  I guess I've now got ten days to try it rather than 10 minutes.

-- hide signature --

janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?

Wait a minute -- you get $200 off twice?   I would qualify for that, lol.

And to echo what others have said, after looking at your work, you would love this lens...

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads