Best Enthusiast Mirrorless Camera of the Year: Panasonic Lumix GX7.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,468Gear list
Like?
Best Enthusiast Mirrorless Camera of the Year: Panasonic Lumix GX7.
9 months ago

But by Imaging Resource. It is funny how different are the reviews on the top reviews site like IR and Dpreview. (and others)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/11/cameras-of-the-year-2013-best-enthusiast-and-pro-cameras-and-lenses#best-enthusiast-mirrorless

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nitrile
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Best Enthusiast Mirrorless Camera of the Year: Panasonic Lumix GX7.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, 9 months ago

The E-M1 received their "Best Pro Camera" award which is a higher accolade.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?

Agree with IR, best in class and has everything you could ask for.  It's not for pros, but for enthusiasts like me it's  perfect. Best street shooter I could buy.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Belophan
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
 Belophan's gear list:Belophan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,493Gear list
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

But by Imaging Resource. It is funny how different are the reviews on the top reviews site like IR and Dpreview. (and others)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/11/cameras-of-the-year-2013-best-enthusiast-and-pro-cameras-and-lenses#best-enthusiast-mirrorless

This is great, as currently this camera is what I plan to get eventually.

However, how could this be 'the best' compared with strong competition such as the X-E2, which is pretty much the same concept, lighter weight, larger sensor, cheaper and with better quality kit zoom, and long-time pre-existing pioneers such as the NEX7 and the NEX6?

Maybe DPR has a point when they emphasized the GM1 and E-M1 because of their uniqueness not available elsewhere, and de-emphasized the GX7 because it does not stand out if you are not already into the m43 system.

BolleDuc
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?
In reply to tt321, 9 months ago

Aleo,

I agree with IR's conclusion & I voted the only way that really counts at the end of the day ....... with my credit card! Screw the spec comparison, forget what might be superior in this way or that, I have zero buyer remorse & I'm still getting the best buyer buzz every time I see my GX7 sitting on the counter, & every time I pick it up. I'm even having ridiculous thoughts about perhaps not replacing this piece of gear while its still got warranty remaining - how preposterous, how utterly ridiculous!

To each his own, eh!

Paul

PS - I'm finished my Christmas shopping as of last night, now I can go take some pics of others doing theirs!

PPS - Merry Christmas to all m43ers & best wishes for 2014

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-PL5, Panasonic GX1 & Canon S90 (IR Converted 590nm)

BolleDuc's gear list:BolleDuc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
rcjim
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
In reply to tt321, 9 months ago

tt321 wrote:

Maybe DPR has a point when they emphasized the GM1 and E-M1 because of their uniqueness not available elsewhere, and de-emphasized the GX7 because it does not stand out if you are not already into the m43 system.

I recently purchased the GX7 and it's my first m43 camera.  The GX7 certainly stood out to me.  Though I also considered the GM1; however, IMO the GM1 is only unique by its small size.  The GM1 lacks an EVF and it lacks 1080P video, both deal-killers for me.

rcjim's gear list:rcjim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,220Gear list
Like?

I am breaking my self imposed silence about the DPR review of the GX7 to say that it was a excessively nitpicking review by Jeff Keller with very defensive comments by R Butler that show who the real reviewer was. Butler has been on my unofficial ignore list since then.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,989Gear list
Like?

And the EM1 as best professional camera of the year - probably worth mentioning both, no?

Speaks well of the current state of m43, even if both designations are arguable. I personally love BOTH the EM1 and the GX7. I've had an EM5 since it first came out in April of last year and I thought it was the best m43 camera ever. And then when I got hold of a GX7, I thought it surpassed the EM5 in almost every way (IBIS excepted) and was the best m43 body ever. And then a few weeks later I got hold of an EM1 and thought IT was the best m43 camera I'd ever used. And I still basically feel that way, but it's more about different purposes. For long lenses and for face detection and for shooting in horrible conditions I prefer the EM1. and For small lenses and the 7-14 and general walk around shooting, I prefer the GX7. It's been a while since I've had two m43 bodies, but I loved these both so much I'm back to having a relatively complete m43 kit with two bodies again.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,087Gear list
Like?
Re: IR also named E-M1 as best professional camera of the year

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

The reviews on IR and DPR don't look so different when you take into account that IR rated the E-M1 as the best pro camera, which suggest reviewers at both site put the E-M1 ahead of the GX7.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245Gear list
Like?

Out of interest, what is the first camera on that page?

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?
In reply to rcjim, 9 months ago

rcjim wrote:

The GM1 lacks an EVF and it lacks 1080P video, both deal-killers for me.

The GM1 has 1080 30p (and 60i), just not 60p.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +14 more
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245Gear list
Like?

That was very quick, thanks.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,220Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, 9 months ago

No, I don't think this particular thread was about the EM1, but you raise an interesting point about the use of your two bodies.

You tell us you use the 7-14mm on the GX7. How does it work? I might have thought it was more suited to your larger body.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
In reply to BolleDuc, 9 months ago

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

This is great, as currently this camera is what I plan to get eventually.

However, how could this be 'the best' compared with strong competition such as the X-E2, which is pretty much the same concept, lighter weight, larger sensor, cheaper and with better quality kit zoom, and long-time pre-existing pioneers such as the NEX7 and the NEX6?

The Fuji is a good camera but falls behind the GX7 in several ways. In IQ, it's slightly ahead, slightly, in the way other APSC are over MFT. The feature set however is clearly in favor of the GX7, and video IQ as well as controls goes the same way. Low light AF is better on the Pany than any other camera i have ever read about, DSLR or ILC. In single point AF, the Pany is faster than the EM5.

In comparison, the XE2 hunts much more, especially in low light. I do like the Fuji touches like dedicated SS dial, but it's not enough to trump the GX7 IMO. I like both, i debated between the two for some time as my next purchase. After reading extensively about both, the GX7 was the easy choice.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,205Gear list
Like?

I like mine and I have tried far too many to finally get here

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

gteague
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?
In reply to rcjim, 9 months ago

rcjim wrote:

tt321 wrote:

The GM1 lacks an EVF and it lacks 1080P video, both deal-killers for me.

the gm1 lacks what panasonic has deigned to withhold from us for ages and what folks like me have puled and whinged about for those same ages and what they should have designed into their cameras from the beginning--an in-body stabilization system.

i too nearly bit on the gm1 to replace my aging gx1 as i love the size and the retro look of it but when i checked the specs and noticed the omission of this feature i ordered the gx7 instead and the lens i've been lusting for since it came out but haven't wanted to buy an olympus body to use--the 75/1.8.

/guy

-- hide signature --

"The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Ultbruin
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?

Agree with IR review.  Amazing camera thus far.  Have had it for a little over a month.

Ultbruin's gear list:Ultbruin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,339Gear list
Like?

My black GX7 w/kit lens + 20/1.7II is on the way as we speak.  Couldn't pass up the $200 off deal when bundled with the 20/1.7II.

This will be the companion to my large and heavy D800 FX gear.  I used to use my LX-5 or LX-7, but I did not like the image quality from those.

The GH3 fit in the hand better, but the step up in size from my GH-2 seemed like it was going in the wrong direction for me.  Hence the GX7 was ordered.  The IBIS, slightly better EVF, and smaller size made up for the lack of flip out screen and external controls.  I prefer the body style of the GH2/GH3, but I've used the rangefinder style of digital camera before and got along just fine, so we'll have to re-appreciate this body style again.

Looks like there are some decent leather cases for the GX7 as well.  I hope someone makes a small grip for it one day too for those times when I want a little better ergonomics and am willing to take the size and weight hit.

So far I have the 12-35/2.8 & 75/1.8.  My G5, which is my family camera, currently has the 14-45 Pany on it, but I think the new kit lens will replace it for an even smaller/lighter go everywhere camera for the daughters and wife.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,339Gear list
Like?
In reply to jhinkey, 9 months ago

I should add that I'm looking forward to the step up in image quality from my GH2, though I will miss the true 16:9 aspect ratio.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads