Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Lens -- When will it be available?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Filipphotography
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Lens -- When will it be available?
8 months ago

Anyone knows when the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens will be available for purchase?

B&H has it for pre-order: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018383-REG/samyang_sy14m_fx_14mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html

I've searched online but I can't find the launch date.

Based on reviews on the ultra-wide fish-eye 8mm, the 14mm could be a great lens too, at less than 1/2 the price of the Fuji. Worth a shot!

Thanks

Filipphotography's gear list:Filipphotography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,888
Like?
Re: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Lens -- When will it be available?
In reply to Filipphotography, 8 months ago

Filipphotography wrote:

Anyone knows when the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens will be available for purchase?

B&H has it for pre-order: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018383-REG/samyang_sy14m_fx_14mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html

Based on reviews on the ultra-wide fish-eye 8mm, the 14mm could be a great lens too, at less than 1/2 the price of the Fuji. Worth a shot!

Thanks

I don't know what the lens will be like but prior to modern cameras that have in-camera corrections for lens deficiencies, lenses from companies like Samyang were not considered good lenses.

Maybe things have changed and these type lenses are worth buying. Several companies seem to be jumping on the mirrorless bandwagon and weather they are "worth a shot" is really an individual decision. I'm sure some people will like them.

Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron are third party lens companies that generally produce pretty good lenses and Sigma has some outstanding lenses, at lower prices, but I'd be a little careful with Samyang and some of the other companies.

Just the same, with the in-camera lens correction features of most cameras some lenses like CCTV lenses, which were once considered a joke on DSLRs, seem to be gaining acceptance with some people.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Filipphotography
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 8 months ago

I hear you, and I actually found this lens by mistake while searching for the Fuji 14mm on the B&H website. And so I googled it, read reviews, saw sample images, and I gotta say, I am impressed. For 1/2 the price of the original one (Fuji) I am sure my wife will like that!

Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
keith1101
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

got mine with canon mount ,great lens ,buy it you wont be sorry,

regds

Ed B
Like?

Filipphotography wrote:

I hear you, and I actually found this lens by mistake while searching for the Fuji 14mm on the B&H website. And so I googled it, read reviews, saw sample images, and I gotta say, I am impressed. For 1/2 the price of the original one (Fuji) I am sure my wife will like that!

Yes, it's a reasonable price and that alone makes it an interesting lens.

Good luck with it and post some pictures when you get it.

Ed B
Like?

Ed B wrote:

Filipphotography wrote:

B&H has it for pre-order: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018383-REG/samyang_sy14m_fx_14mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html

Thanks

I don't know what the lens will be like but prior to modern cameras that have in-camera corrections for lens deficiencies, lenses from companies like Samyang were not considered good lenses.

Maybe things have changed and these type lenses are worth buying. Several companies seem to be jumping on the mirrorless bandwagon and weather they are "worth a shot" is really an individual decision. I'm sure some people will like them.

Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron are third party lens companies that generally produce pretty good lenses and Sigma has some outstanding lenses, at lower prices, but I'd be a little careful with Samyang and some of the other companies.

Just the same, with the in-camera lens correction features of most cameras some lenses like CCTV lenses, which were once considered a joke on DSLRs, seem to be gaining acceptance with some people.

Did I type "weather" instead of "whether"? Sorry about that.

Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,060
Like?
and post some pictures when you get it.

Here some Photos special for You.

flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,942Gear list
Like?

Read this review done on a Canon DSLR.

Although it has not been tested yet on a X mount (the sensor distance to lens is a lot less on mirrorless cameras compared to DSLR) the lens will likely perform in a similar way.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/533-samyang14f28eosapsc?start=2

The Fujifilm is well corrected, autofocus, and distortion free and works with the LMO on the latest cameras. This is not available on the Samyang.

You do save a lot of money with the Samyang. I use their fisheye which is a good performer and I am not so worried about distortion etc as it is a fisheye. I do prefer a good 14mm though.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Shawn67
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?

" but prior to modern cameras that have in-camera corrections for lens deficiencies, lenses from companies like Samyang were not considered good lenses."

Samyang/Bower/Rokinon lenses are not corrected for in camera. At least not for Nikon's. The 85mm f1.4 lens is a *wonderful* lens, in some aspects it is optically better than Nikon's 85mm F1.4D (more coma) that costs 4x more. I haven't used the 24mm but from what I have seen it is highly regarded as well. I had the 7.5mm for m4/3 and have the 8mm for the XP1 and they are very nice as well.

Shawn

Filipphotography
Like?
In reply to Shawn67, 8 months ago

Thanks guys. Does anyone know the answer to my original question? When will it be ready for purchase?

dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?

About a year ago, I was looking for a wide angle for my Pentax.  I considered the Samyang, but then I saw samples.  It is a flare factory, and has impossible to correct distortion.  So I removed it from consideration.

Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,060
Like?

Does anyone know the answer to my original question? When will it be ready for purchase?

I can buy this Lens Today on Amazon...

Ed B
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 8 months ago

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

and post some pictures when you get it.

Here some Photos special for You.

Thank you. Pictures look pretty good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads