E-M1 Durability?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,519Gear list
Like?
E-M1 Durability?
9 months ago

Given the E-M1's "Pro" designation, excellent build quality, freeze / dust / weather proof construction, and premium price: should it be more likely to last longer than say a new E-M5?  In particular, would its shutter mechanism be built more ruggedly and therefore be expected to last longer?  Or, does the E-M1 share the same shutter mechanism with the E-P5 (and presumably the E-M5 successor that is reputedly coming next year)?

Just wondering...I realize no one has a crystal ball, but comments / opinions would be appreciated nonetheless.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,160Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 Durability?
In reply to Joseph T Lewis III, 9 months ago

It's definitely not the same shutter mechanism, the E-M1 has a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 whereas the E-M5 tops out at 1/4000.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Polytropia
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

Given the E-M1's "Pro" designation, excellent build quality, freeze / dust / weather proof construction, and premium price: should it be more likely to last longer than say a new E-M5?  In particular, would its shutter mechanism be built more ruggedly and therefore be expected to last longer?  Or, does the E-M1 share the same shutter mechanism with the E-P5 (and presumably the E-M5 successor that is reputedly coming next year)?

Just wondering...I realize no one has a crystal ball, but comments / opinions would be appreciated nonetheless.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Tom

I own both cameras. E-M5 is well made and has survived a fall, plus several rainstorms.

But I can say this: E-M1 makes everything else in its price class feel like basically a piece of plastic. I would say the build quality, feeling of solid rigidity, ruggedness, tightness of tolerances, everything about the E-M1 is top-class, right there with Nikon D4 and Canon EOS 1DX.

I often felt the E-3 and E-5 were basically a "poor-man's" miniature EOS-1D series camera, where you got all the ruggedness and great color processing without the bulk. E-M1 furthers that; I just received my 12-40mm f/2.8 and I can confirm it is fantastic.

These days it seems to make more sense to me to have an E-M1 for most things and possibly get, say, an A7R as a backup or to use when extreme resolution is required. And a GH-3 for video.

brycesteiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307Gear list
Like?

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

Given the E-M1's "Pro" designation, excellent build quality, freeze / dust / weather proof construction, and premium price: should it be more likely to last longer than say a new E-M5? In particular, would its shutter mechanism be built more ruggedly and therefore be expected to last longer? Or, does the E-M1 share the same shutter mechanism with the E-P5 (and presumably the E-M5 successor that is reputedly coming next year)?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Tom

I've had my E-m5 in all kinds of weather from snow to downpours. It shoots great and my only problems have been cosmetic and Superglue took care of that. I've never had a shutter go out on any Olympus camera I have owned. I average about 1000 pictures per week and I wouldn't worry about the shutter mechanism. They are pretty well designed nowadays with all of the years of development.

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,702Gear list
Like?

With a little Googling, i found a few references which state that Olympus has tested and rated the E-M1 shutter for 150,000 actuations. If so, this puts it into pro class, but below that of a camera like the Nikon D4, which is rated for 400,000 actuations.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
Polytropia
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 9 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

With a little Googling, i found a few references which state that Olympus has tested and rated the E-M1 shutter for 150,000 actuations. If so, this puts it into pro class, but below that of a camera like the Nikon D4, which is rated for 400,000 actuations.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Of course for the price of the D4, you can buy four E-M1s, which gives you 600,000 photos plus three extra batteries and chargers.

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,695Gear list
Like?
Do you really want a durable camera?
In reply to Polytropia, 9 months ago

Polytropia wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Of course for the price of the D4, you can buy four E-M1s, which gives you 600,000 photos plus three extra batteries and chargers.

Even better: you can buy a M1 now, an M2 when the M1 gives up, then an M3, M4 and always have the latest Ms.

I remember to have read, that a normal, consumer camera shutter is tested for about 35.000 actuations. So when your M1 will be only remarkable for it's age and primitive features and sensor, I will be buying my top notch G9 with 60MP organic sensor ...

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Joseph T Lewis III
Like?
In reply to Torsten Hoff, 9 months ago

Torsten Hoff wrote:

It's definitely not the same shutter mechanism, the E-M1 has a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 whereas the E-M5 tops out at 1/4000.

The E-P5 has a 1/8000th shutter; that is what I was asking about.   However, from what other posts have said, it appears the shutter shouldn't be a major consideration anyway.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Tom

Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Joseph T Lewis III
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 9 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Thanks Jim

I had checked the Olympus site and Googled around before starting the thread, but apparently didn't use the right search terms. So, your inputs are very much appreciated. It appears that the shutter will be a non-issue for me.

Bryce and Peter and Polytropia, thanks for your helpful feedback as well.

The reason I started the thread is that my wonderful wife told me tonight "I don't know what to get you for Christmas; why don't you buy that new camera you keep looking at? You can put some money with [the extra $$ you had left over from selling all your Sony SLT gear] and buy it; I know you want it". However, if I spend $1400 on the E-M1, it will be the last camera I buy for at least two years, maybe more, so I did want to at least float the durability question before making such a commitment.

I'll think about it over the weekend, but will probably end up getting the E-M1 next week (I've put it off for months now; I may as well bow to the inevitable and just get it over with).

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who shared their insight with me. I appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Brendan Delaney
Contributing MemberPosts: 648Gear list
Like?

I have no doubt your E-M1 will last you AT LEAST 2 years 

-- hide signature --

www.brendandelaneyphotography.com
Street, Urban and Documentary Photography

Brendan Delaney's gear list:Brendan Delaney's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
revio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281Gear list
Like?

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Thanks Jim

I had checked the Olympus site and Googled around before starting the thread, but apparently didn't use the right search terms. So, your inputs are very much appreciated. It appears that the shutter will be a non-issue for me.

Bryce and Peter and Polytropia, thanks for your helpful feedback as well.

The reason I started the thread is that my wonderful wife told me tonight "I don't know what to get you for Christmas; why don't you buy that new camera you keep looking at? You can put some money with [the extra $$ you had left over from selling all your Sony SLT gear] and buy it; I know you want it". However, if I spend $1400 on the E-M1, it will be the last camera I buy for at least two years, maybe more, so I did want to at least float the durability question before making such a commitment.

I'll think about it over the weekend, but will probably end up getting the E-M1 next week (I've put it off for months now; I may as well bow to the inevitable and just get it over with).

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who shared their insight with me. I appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

Tom

You could ask this question to yourself:  Which other camera would last that long (as the M-1 would, or, say, 2 years) and does not cost a LOT more?  

Good luck in (soon(?) getting the M-1, you will most definately be satisfied and more...

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

Kameraphil
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?

I dropped my E-M1 last night and it suffered only an almost invisible dent at the lower left corner of the LCD frame (where it hit the floor). What helped then was that the lens on it at the time was unusually light (the pancake 20mm F.1.7), otherwise the damage would be more visible. The camera is one of the most rugged, most solid, I must say.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads