$2080 IBELUX 40mm f0.85 high-speed lens - Available February 2014

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
$2080 IBELUX 40mm f0.85 high-speed lens - Available February 2014
9 months ago

Wanted to share something interesting, seems like everyone is a bit tense before the holidays.

After many months of collaboration between engineering and production teams, final quality control assessments have concluded and the IBELUX 40mm f0.85 high-speed lens, the fastest lens in the world, is nearly ready for release. Available for sale by February, 2014, this lens will be available for Sony NEX, Fuji X, Canon EOS M and Micro 4/3 digital mirrorless camera mounts (MSRP is $2,080 USD).

http://kipon.com/en/articledetail.asp?id=60

Taken with X-Pro 1

4054's gear list:4054's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
Re: $2080 IBELUX 40mm f0.85 high-speed lens - Available February 2014
In reply to 4054, 9 months ago

More photos from our Fuji family:

4054's gear list:4054's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

It's great news for the future of the X system that they're releasing this with an X Mount version on day one. Very cool.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,973
Like?

Well, the pictures you posted look nice but all were taken with the lens stopped down to 1.0 and I'd bet the lens isn't very good at .85 (just a guess). It would surprise me if the lens was anything special at any aperture.

$2080.00 is a joke for a Chinese lens and I'm sure the Fuji 35mm 1.4 would put it to shame along with some of the other manufacturer's lenses in the 35-40mm range.

The Chinese company who is manufacturing this lens partnered with a German company that builds video lenses so maybe this lens will have some value for video, to some people.

just the same, $2080.00 is about $1080.00 more than the lens was originally expected to sell for.

Someone is either blowing smoke or trying to take advantage of naive camera owners.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 9 months ago

Oh really? Just wondering what 40mm 0.85 lens sells for $1000 that you are basing this off of

afragisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 765
Like?
In reply to newone757, 9 months ago

newone757 wrote:

Oh really? Just wondering what 40mm 0.85 lens sells for $1000 that you are basing this off of

Canon FD 35 0.85 (canon FD 50 1.2L + speedbooster) is about 1000$. Oh, and much lighter and smaller too.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 50 & 85 1.2L, Fuji 14mm 2.8, 27mm 2.8, 23mm 1.4, Bower 8mm 2.8

Ed B
Like?

newone757 wrote:

This site won't allow links to the Fuji rumors site but you may want to go there and read about this lens.

Or, you may just want to buy the lens when it's available.

Here is another site that talks about the lens:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/02/05/ibelux-40mm-f0-85-lens-will-make-photographers-dream-of-bokeh-nail-totally-out-of-focus-shots/

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

newone757 wrote:

This site won't allow links to the Fuji rumors site but you may want to go there and read about this lens.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/02/05/ibelux-40mm-f0-85-lens-will-make-photographers-dream-of-bokeh-nail-totally-out-of-focus-shots/

Still wondering what other 40mm 0.85 lens you could even compare this to. Rumors were just that, rumors. If the optical quality isn't horrible I think that's a fair price for a lens of this speed. There's really no readily available commercially marketed lens that gathers as much light for sale to compare the price too. If it was only $1000 for 0.85 I'd be even more skeptical

I have absolutely no interest in buying it though. It's extremely impractical for my needs. If I had cash to burn I wouldn't mind playing with this for some night time shooting though but it is huge

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,412Gear list
Like?

Heh, my thread on this yesterday fell upon stony ground - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52705510 so better luck here.

As you can see, aside from the vignetting, weight and balance were concerns. I cannot imagine it being my "everyday" lens like the XF 23 or XF 35 purely on the basis of 1.2kg.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Lyle From Canada
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

Am looking forward to numerous photos of brick walls and cats all the while people complain of corner sharpness at f0.85

-- hide signature --

Fuji x-pro1 with 14, 23, 27,35, 60, 55-200, fuji x100s and WA adapter, fuji x10

RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,416Gear list
Like?

Ed B wrote:

Well, the pictures you posted look nice but all were taken with the lens stopped down to 1.0 and I'd bet the lens isn't very good at .85 (just a guess). It would surprise me if the lens was anything special at any aperture.

Given that there doesn't look to be any electronic contacts on the lens, the f1.0 is indicative that a non-reporting lens is attached.   So we really have no idea what aperture these were actually taken at.

-- hide signature --
Ed B
Like?

newone757 wrote:

newone757 wrote:

Still wondering what other 40mm 0.85 lens you could even compare this to. Rumors were just that, rumors. If the optical quality isn't horrible I think that's a fair price for a lens of this speed. There's really no readily available commercially marketed lens that gathers as much light for sale to compare the price too. If it was only $1000 for 0.85 I'd be even more skeptical

I have absolutely no interest in buying it though. It's extremely impractical for my needs. If I had cash to burn I wouldn't mind playing with this for some night time shooting though but it is huge

I can understand what you're saying. I guess no one knows what this lens will actually be like but spending that kind of money on a lens made by an unknown Chinese manufacturer seems risky, at best.

Most of these type lenses, from third party manufacturers, are made with cheap glass and just aren't very good. Naturally, modern digital cameras have in-camera programs that automatically correct some of the problems associated with less than stellar lenses.

I think most people don't realize that when they pay thousands of dollars for a lens they're not really paying for lens speed; they're paying for the quality of glass and technical expertise it takes to ensure that fast lens performs better than window glass. Manufacturers like Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Leica, etc. have years and years of experience and facilities dedicated to the design and development of lens materials.

Anyway, every person has to decide for themselves how much money they want to spend and what type/brand lens they want to use on their cameras and I'm sure many hobbyist will give this lens a try. I think the lens is overpriced and will probably be inferior to anything made by an established imaging company, but I could be wrong.

Mat Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
In reply to 4054, 4 months ago

So did this die? I cant seem to find any updates on this lens....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads