Saying goodbye to my Nikon friends

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Saying goodbye to my Nikon friends
9 months ago

Hello folks. This post is not meant to start any wars, change anyones mind or influence anything. It is simply me saying goodbye to my nikon family and letting you know why I am done with nikon.

I have been a loyal nikon user and wedding shooter since 1997. My first camera was a F100. I later upgraded to digital and at that time it was a D70. My journey moved me to the d90, d7000, d600 and my last use was a D800 a few weeks ago.

For the longest time an internal struggle was taking place. I had the most foul taste in my mouth with the purchase of the D600's. I took charge of the situation and learned to clean the sensor over and over and even added a second d600 that ended up having the same issue. What I am getting at is that I just kept feeling like nikon could not admit any fault and has a history of not being responsible when issues come up. A look back in my previous posts will show you the time spent discussing the issues.

A few weeks ago I ordered a D800 to add to my collection. The D800 seemed solid but I realized quickly that it was not a wedding shooters best friend. The 36 megapixels shoved into the sensor showed sharpness and noise more clearly. I am not saying that it was a bad camera but the kicker was testing the left AF points. I was just thinking why am I doing this? Why am I giving nikon almost 3 grand and having to still play technician? I did not want a d800. What I wanted was reliable working gear that I did not have to stress about.

To make a long story short, I decided I am done. After 16 years with nikon, I was over the issues and lack of customer care. I was over them leaving the end user holding the problem. I returned the D800, shipped off all my nikon gear (both d600's) and purchased a canon 6D. I will be ordering my 5D mark III in a week and will be starting fresh. Is the grass greener? Too early to tell but at least someone is mowing the lawn and not making me do the work. The 6D feels solid and it will be accompanied by a 5D mark III which offers a lot. No weddings for a few months so now was the perfect time for me to make the switch.

I do want to say thank you to all the people I have met on this forum and I enjoyed our time. Even the times that we disagreed and argued. I wish everyone happiness. I have requested my screen name to be disabled so if I disappear you know why. Dpreview may take a while to do that. I will still respond here while I can You can yell at me and tell me what a huge mistake I made but I feel that Nikon has lost its way and hopefully one day they will realize that adding a number 10 to a unit and ignoring your customers is not a good way to do business. I refuse to keep dumping money into nikon when it clearly has shown no loyalty to the customer. let the fighting begin

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Johnhk
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Re: Saying goodbye to my Nikon friends
In reply to Nikonfan99, 9 months ago

I wish you all the best on your new journey. Have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. regards,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SRS_Photography
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
In reply to Johnhk, 9 months ago

Will Canonfan99 be your new name?

SRS_Photography's gear list:SRS_Photography's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 14,250Gear list
Like?

Sorry, the grass is not greener.

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Hello folks. This post is not meant to start any wars, change anyones mind or influence anything. It is simply me saying goodbye to my nikon family and letting you know why I am done with nikon.

I have been a loyal nikon user and wedding shooter since 1997. My first camera was a F100. I later upgraded to digital and at that time it was a D70. My journey moved me to the d90, d7000, d600 and my last use was a D800 a few weeks ago.

For the longest time an internal struggle was taking place. I had the most foul taste in my mouth with the purchase of the D600's. I took charge of the situation and learned to clean the sensor over and over and even added a second d600 that ended up having the same issue. What I am getting at is that I just kept feeling like nikon could not admit any fault and has a history of not being responsible when issues come up. A look back in my previous posts will show you the time spent discussing the issues.

Japanese companies are like this. They do not like to admit problems. They do not offer recalls, unless required by government agencies or lawsuits.

I have y own bone to pick with Nikon USA over their repair department, so don't think I am defending Nikon.

A few weeks ago I ordered a D800 to add to my collection. The D800 seemed solid but I realized quickly that it was not a wedding shooters best friend. The 36 megapixels shoved into the sensor showed sharpness and noise more clearly. I am not saying that it was a bad camera but the kicker was testing the left AF points. I was just thinking why am I doing this? Why am I giving nikon almost 3 grand and having to still play technician? I did not want a d800. What I wanted was reliable working gear that I did not have to stress about.

Nikon offers other professional cameras.

To make a long story short, I decided I am done. After 16 years with nikon, I was over the issues and lack of customer care. I was over them leaving the end user holding the problem. I returned the D800, shipped off all my nikon gear (both d600's) and purchased a canon 6D. I will be ordering my 5D mark III in a week and will be starting fresh. Is the grass greener? Too early to tell but at least someone is mowing the lawn and not making me do the work. The 6D feels solid and it will be accompanied by a 5D mark III which offers a lot. No weddings for a few months so now was the perfect time for me to make the switch.

Google mirror falling off 5D. After that, see if you think oil spots are the worst think you have ever seen.

I do want to say thank you to all the people I have met on this forum and I enjoyed our time. Even the times that we disagreed and argued. I wish everyone happiness. I have requested my screen name to be disabled so if I disappear you know why. Dpreview may take a while to do that. I will still respond here while I can You can yell at me and tell me what a huge mistake I made but I feel that Nikon has lost its way and hopefully one day they will realize that adding a number 10 to a unit and ignoring your customers is not a good way to do business. I refuse to keep dumping money into nikon when it clearly has shown no loyalty to the customer. let the fighting begin

I agree Nikon is not working on their image enough. But swapping systems is not the answer. If you are making a living shooting weddings, you shouldn't you be a NPS member and shooting a couple of D4's?

Good luck anyway.

-- hide signature --

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D2H Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Johnhk
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Re: Saying goodbye - No it won't! NT.
In reply to SRS_Photography, 9 months ago
No text.
Willie
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?

I remember well you initially arguing that the D600 dust/oil issue didn't exist, and then you discovered that it really did.  You saved me a lot of grief.  Thanks.

lickity split
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
Keep your screen name.... (Happy Holidays) nt....
 lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +8 more
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?

It's sad that for a nice, fast, ergonomic DSLR, the choices are either a company with inconsistent quality control or a company stuck with outdated image quality. I've heard horror stories about customer service from people with both brands. Sony is a possibility, but it has somewhat limited lens choices at the moment. Best of luck with Canon. I like mine; it's reliable, but you may start to envy those Nikon sensors.  A lot of us do.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +8 more
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,143
Like?
In reply to bikinchris, 9 months ago

bikinchris wrote:

Sorry, the grass is not greener.

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Japanese companies are like this. They do not like to admit problems. They do not offer recalls, unless required by government agencies or lawsuits.

I have y own bone to pick with Nikon USA over their repair department, so don't think I am defending Nikon.

Canon used to be like this but they learned their lesson after the 1DM3 AF fiasco. Case in point is the recall of the 5DM3 over the ridiculously minor "light leak" issue. When you contrast the severity of that issue vs the non-recalled D800/E Left AF problem and D600 oil issue I think a clear line can be seen between the two companies in terms of transparency and customer service.

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,661Gear list
Like?

Best of luck to you.  But really, why did you buy a D800.  You knew the 36MP feature.  Surely your better play was the D610.  Instead you buy a  6D?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Dirck
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

Wait, before you leave, Nikon has a parting gift ... a firmware update that will make your 3rd party batteries useless.

blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411
Like?
got me thinking
In reply to Dirck, 9 months ago

Dirck wrote:

Wait, before you leave, Nikon has a parting gift ... a firmware update that will make your 3rd party batteries useless.

You know that sigma dock that fits on the lens mount and lets you set up lens firmware via computer/USB. I bet Nikon will be putting some of the mount contacts on MUXes that let them use the mount to connect the camera to the lens firmware and fry Sigma lenses at will

-- hide signature --

"There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
- Ayn Rand

RobG67
Contributing MemberPosts: 818Gear list
Like?
Bye.

Don't trip on your way out.

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,719Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dirck, 9 months ago

Dirck wrote:

I seem to recall a 5D Mark III FW update doing something similar, on the Canon side.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +25 more
chuhsi
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?

I'm only a year into the Nikon family and have been unpleasantly surprised by the quality control for what I thought were high quality (and expensive) products.

My d7000 is on it's way back to me from Nikon for a 3rd time because of backfocusing issues. We'll see if it's fixed.

My 24-70 is less than a year old and has minimal usage...but the rubber zoom ring started "bubbling" and falling off. That's ridiculous for a $1900 lens. It's on it's way back to me from Nikon. We'll see if it's fixed.

My 50mm 1.4 had to make a second trip to the LA. The first time was just for Nikon to have one of my lenses to test with my backfocusing d7000. But they decided to adjust the lens and when i got it back, I couldn't get sharp focus on it with any camera. It's better now after repair.

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,719Gear list
Like?

No fighting from me. Iwill be seeing you on the Canon side of the forum!

Having learned DSLR shooting with both a D300s and a Rebel XTi/400D, I never settled completely upon one brand or the other. I have used a Novofex adapter to shoot with Nikkors on a 5D and 7D, as well as shooting each brand on its native mount. Having handled both the 5D Mark III and D800, I think you will enjoy the Canon option for shooting events.

With my increasing interest in landscape/seascape shooting, a D800E is more probable for me, in 2014, than a 5D Mark III. If I were to win a modest lottery tomorrow, I would buy a D4, D800E, and a 5D Mark III.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +25 more
roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?
In reply to cpkuntz, 9 months ago

cpkuntz wrote:

It's sad that for a nice, fast, ergonomic DSLR, the choices are either a company with inconsistent quality control or a company stuck with outdated image quality. I've heard horror stories about customer service from people with both brands. Sony is a possibility, but it has somewhat limited lens choices at the moment. Best of luck with Canon. I like mine; it's reliable, but you may start to envy those Nikon sensors. A lot of us do.

Yeah, don't you feel sorry for all those poor delusional pro shooters with their big white lenses dominating sporting events having to struggle so with "outdated image quality". And then there is long time Nikon shooter Scott Kelby who absolutely LOVES the 1dX cameras loaned to him this year. He goes on and on not just about the fast accurate focus but hold on......the image qualityhe is getting from the Canons! Poor Scott is clearly spend too much time looking at his images and not enough time looking at DXO charts

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,784Gear list
Like?

Most who switch are those who look for a change to begin with. Then it comes the blaming and whining. Hey just switch brand and get done with it. Bette yet make a gradual transition keeping the options open for a longer time.

Selling off everything and then buying new brand gear is just not a smart business strategy. Have fun.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Samsung TL500 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 +8 more
laddsmith
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
In reply to caspianm, 9 months ago

Incredibly dumb thread.  As I have said before "It isn't the arrow, it's the Indian".  Both good cameras, both good companies, and both also have problems-better to focus on pro-active stuff than a constant comparison of "my stuff is better".

Grow up

-- hide signature --

Ladd Smith

Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
In reply to laddsmith, 9 months ago

I find it interesting that my "dumb" thread is getting any attention or people wish to talk about it. The simple fact remains that people switch for different reasons. My reasons are .....well....my reasons.

I feel I have loyalty to a company and my money speaks of that loyalty for me. My voice is my wallet and that is the only way to communicate with such big companies. People do need to speak up by deciding where they feel they are valued by voting with the wallet. Nikon clearly has been using a lot of people as beta testers and I am tired of being nikons test subject. Would you like a long list of nikons quality control issues or will the nature of the majority of threads here speak for the current status of nikon?

I really did not want to turn this into a why I left nikon and why you should do just as I did thread. Everyone has to do what is right for them. SB910/Sb900, d7000 oil/focus issues, d800 issues and now D610/D600 game. The trend for nikon is to rush a product to market and leave the buyers holding the check. "Impact damage" and finding creative ways to disable the use of third party products.

Lets take a look at Nikons service advisories in the US:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/index.page

canon:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvViewAll

looking at this you would think nikon is in great shape with no issues. The way that issues are handled and how customers feel has a lot to do with the end result.

Care to check amazon reviews for the 6d and 5D III? Now take a look at D600/D800 reviews. I think that speaks well of how people feel about the products. The majority of threads on the nikon forum are issues and most people are frustrated like I was. My point is that nothing is perfect but nikons quality control and customer service or I shall say no service is apparent. I switched because I refuse to invest in a company that is run sooo poorly. I have no faith in nikon service at this point. Can that be debated?

I stated why I left and that is as simple as it gets. These issues are not new and many other review sites have stated over and over how nikon is going in the wrong direction when it comes to customer service and QC. I am just glad to be out.  This is not a case of my camera is better but rather where do I feel that my investment should go? When nikon rushed the D600 to market, everyone jumped all over it. Canon took longer but came out with a working well made defect free camera. Nikon rushed the d800 and look where that went. Till today people have to ask how to test a d800 that is new. The trust is gone. Canon will release a d800 competitor but it wont be done in haste. Get it right the first time and people will respect you.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads