Started 9 months ago | Polls
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Best moon shot?
9 months ago

Time for another reality check...

Just pick the best moon shot

All handheld SOOC JPEGs and resized to similar resolution...

Cheers,

Joms

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
POLL
Left Moon
79.3% 23  votes
Center Moon
17.2% 5  votes
Right Moon
3.4% 1  vote
  Show results
Orion12
Senior MemberPosts: 1,535Gear list
Like?
Re: Best moon shot?
In reply to jcmarfilph, 9 months ago

jcmarfilph wrote:

All handheld SOOC JPEGs and resized to similar resolution...  Cheers, Joms

Couldn't Really Decide, they ALL are sort of Soft or Pasty Looking. . . 

To Be Fair it should be noted that Moon Shot Quality can Vary Greatly with Atmospheric & Moon Cycle Conditions. . .
For a Ruff Comparison here's one of my Recent HS50EXR Hand-Held ( Completely Un-Processed ) Jpeg. . . This is 100% SOOC with the Exception of being Cropped ( 1:1 / NO SCALING )

100% Crop SOOC Fuji Jpeg 4:3 File 8-Mp Shot in EXR : SN ( High ISO & Low Noise ) mode  Auto(3200)

Same EXR : SNMode  8-Mp "M" Jpeg Photo with some FastStone Image Viewer 4.9 Contrast & Sharpening

Between the (3) Moon Captures Originally Posted Here & these (2) Moon Captures. . .
Which Do YOU Perceive as Having the Best Definition & Highest Level of CLEAN DETAIL ?

My Personal Vote is for the This Last One. . . 
Keeping in Mind that Even More Can Be Done with an 8-Mp EXR : SNMode Raw File 

Cheers from Orion 

Orion12's gear list:Orion12's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Pentax K10D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Orion12, 9 months ago

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

All handheld SOOC JPEGs and resized to similar resolution... Cheers, Joms

To Be Fair it should be noted that Moon Shot Quality can Vary Greatly with Atmospheric & Moon Cycle Conditions. . .
For a Ruff Comparison here's one of my Recent HS50EXR Hand-Held ( Completely Un-Processed ) Jpeg. . . This is 100% SOOC with the Exception of being Cropped ( 1:1 / NO SCALING )

100% Crop SOOC Fuji Jpeg 4:3 File 8-Mp Shot in EXR : SN ( High ISO & Low Noise ) mode Auto(3200)

Same EXR : SN Mode 8-Mp "M" Jpeg Photo with some FastStone Image Viewer 4.9 Contrast & Sharpening

Between the (3) Moon Captures Originally Posted Here & these (2) Moon Captures. . .
Which Do YOU Perceive as Having the Best Definition & Highest Level of CLEAN DETAIL ?

Cheers from Orion

Seriously? Infest my thread with your single-picture-self-proclaimed best shot? Why don't you create a separate thread with the same moon shot with PMode LSize, PMode MSize and EXR SN?

Your touted EXR SN is one of the moon shot in my comparison. So please vote accordingly and honestly.

-=[ Joms ]=-

coody
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
Re: Best moon shot? Enough, comparison by yourself
No text.
jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to coody, 9 months ago

coody wrote:

If you cannot put a nice comment just leave your honest vote, will yah?

This isn't for me but for the benefit of the readers in this forum.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Orion12
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Cheers from Orion

Seriously? Infest my thread with your single-picture-self-proclaimed best shot? Why don't you create a separate thread with the same moon shot with PMode LSize, PMode MSize and EXR SN?

I Assume You were looking for an Honest Comparison VOTE !

One of the "Problems" that I Continue to Have with Your "Presentations" is Your Use of Scaling !

IF You Want to SEE the Explicit Results or Characteristics of Various Sensor Configurations THEN DON'T USE SCALED Images - This is a Lesson You STILL Evidently Need to Learn !
IF You Want Compare Sensor Results then SIMPLY Show 100% Crops - Absolutely NO-SCALING !

The Prime Reason for is because ONLY with a 100% Crop is there 1:1 Pixel-Mapping Functionality !

You Have Long Distracted this Forum with Scaled Distractions - You Can Get LOST in Translation !

Your touted EXR SN is one of the moon shot in my comparison. So please vote accordingly and honestly. -=[ Joms ]=-

Again You're Asking me to Vote for a "Scaled" Distraction. . .
Your "TEST PROCEDURES" Need some Correction - That's My Peer Review Contribution !

IF You want to Create a Comparison Where Direct Output from the Sensor is Mapped 1:1 then I will gladly CAST My Comparative Vote on Output Quality from Different Sensor Modes. . .
BECAUSE that's Looking at the "ACCURATE & ACTUAL" Pixel Quality of that Sensor Mode.

Step UP Your Game Joms & You'll Get MORE Players. . .

Happy Holidays & Cheers from Orion 

jcmarfilph
Like?

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Cheers from Orion

One of the "Problems" that I Continue to Have with Your "Presentations" is Your Use of Scaling !

IF You Want to SEE the Explicit Results or Characteristics of Various Sensor Configurations THEN DON'T USE SCALED Images - This is a Lesson You STILL Evidently Need to Learn !
IF You Want Compare Sensor Results then SIMPLY Show 100% Crops - Absolutely NO-SCALING !

The Prime Reason for is because ONLY with a 100% Crop is there 1:1 Pixel-Mapping Functionality !

You Have Long Distracted this Forum with Scaled Distractions - You Can Get LOST in Translation !

Your touted EXR SN is one of the moon shot in my comparison. So please vote accordingly and honestly. -=[ Joms ]=-

Your "TEST PROCEDURES" Need some Correction - That's My Peer Review Contribution !

IF You want to Create a Comparison Where Direct Output from the Sensor is Mapped 1:1 then I will gladly CAST My Comparative Vote on Output Quality from Different Sensor Modes. . .
BECAUSE that's Looking at the "ACCURATE & ACTUAL" Pixel Quality of that Sensor Mode.

Ah so now what happened to your 1080p resolution? I thought you said too many pixels are wasted so you always resize your shots to 1080p. This is reality check Orion. If you want to compare all at 100%, you have to resize them all to the same resolution (upsized or downsized). Imagine you are comparing 41MP shot versus 5MP at 100%? What can you make out of it?

-=[ Joms ]=-

HornOUBet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,242Gear list
Like?

Don't know about best, but #2 is worst IMHO.....

-- hide signature --
 HornOUBet's gear list:HornOUBet's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +15 more
Orion12
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Cheers from Orion

Ah so now what happened to your 1080p resolution?

The Moon Shot I posted certainly will Display on a 1080p Monitor OR High-Def TV without Scaling or Modification. . .
Here it is Again 1000 x 1000 Pixels this can Display with 1:1 Pixel Mapping on ANY 1920 x 1080 Display. . .

You want to Compare "Sensor Modes" then DO IT at the Sensor Output LEVEL !  In the Above Photo - YOU are Looking at a Direct 1:1 Pixel Mapped / Sensor Output LEVEL !

I thought you said too many pixels are wasted so you always resize your shots to 1080p.

For Web Display Yes / Any Pixels BEYOND 1920 x 1080 ( Common Display Limit ) can NOT be Displayed BY Your Monitor - So YES the "EXTRA PIXELS" are Tossed.

This is reality check Orion. If you want to compare all at 100%, you have to resize them all to the same resolution (upsized or downsized).

You appear to be Stuck in this "Scaled Reality" Distortion Loop - Good Luck Finding Your Way OUT !

Imagine you are comparing 41MP shot versus 5MP at 100%? What can you make out of it? -Joms-

More Delusions - You have the Tools to Compare them Without "Scaled Illusion" but You seem Addicted to Your Diversions. . . I'll Do My Best to Point the Way Out - The Rest is Up to You. . .

Cheers from Orion 

sssesq
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?

It is very hard to follow this "thread" what are you people talking about. The first set of moon pics leaves quite a bit to be desired.  Impossible to rank these photos.  Here is my moon shot.  I put this in here 'cause I could...:-D

sssesq's gear list:sssesq's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to HornOUBet, 9 months ago

HornOUBet wrote:

Don't know about best, but #2 is worst IMHO.....

-- hide signature --

Sshhhh... just silently cast your vote for the best.

TIA!

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to sssesq, 9 months ago

sssesq wrote:

It is very hard to follow this "thread" what are you people talking about. The first set of moon pics leaves quite a bit to be desired. Impossible to rank these photos. Here is my moon shot. I put this in here 'cause I could...:-D

Of course that set is not the best but the side-by-side comparison using 3 settings.

Take care of that bright lower-right. Good shot for a DSLR!

Cast your vote now.

Thanks,

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Orion12 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Cheers from Orion

Ah so now what happened to your 1080p resolution?

The Moon Shot I posted certainly will Display on a 1080p Monitor OR High-Def TV without Scaling or Modification. . .
Here it is Again 1000 x 1000 Pixels this can Display with 1:1 Pixel Mapping on ANY 1920 x 1080 Display. . .

You want to Compare "Sensor Modes" then DO IT at the Sensor Output LEVEL ! In the Above Photo - YOU are Looking at a Direct 1:1 Pixel Mapped / Sensor Output LEVEL !

Your PP ruined that moon shot. Too much sharpening, watercolor effect.

I thought you said too many pixels are wasted so you always resize your shots to 1080p.

For Web Display Yes / Any Pixels BEYOND 1920 x 1080 ( Common Display Limit ) can NOT be Displayed BY Your Monitor - So YES the "EXTRA PIXELS" are Tossed.

Nope. Just look at the comparison, they are all compressed but one will stand out.

This is reality check Orion. If you want to compare all at 100%, you have to resize them all to the same resolution (upsized or downsized).

You appear to be Stuck in this "Scaled Reality" Distortion Loop - Good Luck Finding Your Way OUT !

I think it is you who is stuck by a setting you called the best, fastest, produces great pixel-level quality etc. etc. Lets see if that will come up as the winner in this comparison.

Imagine you are comparing 41MP shot versus 5MP at 100%? What can you make out of it? -Joms-

More Delusions - You have the Tools to Compare them Without "Scaled Illusion" but You seem Addicted to Your Diversions. . . I'll Do My Best to Point the Way Out - The Rest is Up to You. . .

So what are you gonna do with 41MP moon shot if it won't fit in your display? You will resize it right? If the image is good, it doesn't matter if you resize it down.

Cheers from Orion

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Orion12
Like?

sssesq wrote:

It is very hard to follow this "thread" what are you people talking about. The first set of moon pics leaves quite a bit to be desired. Impossible to rank these photos. Here is my moon shot. I put this in here 'cause I could...:-D

Hi Sssesq,  Thanks Much for Posting & Sharing Your Nikon DSLR, Low Noise Sensor Capture 

Recent 8-Mp EXR : SN mode Hand-Held RAW Capture. . . ISO-100 using ISO Auto(3200) 1,000mm (35mm equiv)

Shot @ 8-Mp Then 100% Cropped to 965 x 965 - NO Scaling --> Direct 1:1 Sensor Pixel Mapping

This Maybe RAW Processed More Aggressively than some prefer - I attempted to bring up detail. . .

Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 646Gear list
Like?

I'm not going to rate the moons shots as I didn't sleep very well (maybe later), but a question:

If we don't re-sample to the same size, how can different size pics (say 6MP vs 12MP) be properly compared? Because ultimately whether we print or view on various size screens, everything is re-sized. And that's what I'm interested in - what my final image is going to look like, not what the capture pixels look like.

In the L vs. M shots I've included in the various threads, I considered using say 1000x1000 pixel crops, but didn't because they are not directly comparable.

So what's the answer here? Your thoughts and others?

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

You need to take off whatever you have on the front of the lens, they all look terrible.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

PAUL TILL
Like?

sssesq wrote:

For a £4000 body that's a very poor shot, what lens did you have on it?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, 9 months ago

PAUL TILL wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

You need to take off whatever you have on the front of the lens, they all look terrible.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Ok shall I remove the atmosphere? Which one is the least horrible then?

-=[ Joms ]=-

Orion12
Like?
In reply to Elyharbour, 9 months ago

Elyharbour wrote:

I'm not going to rate the moons shots as I didn't sleep very well (maybe later),

I didn't rate them either, sleep or no. . . I was supporting the Nature of the Comparison. . .

but a question:

If we don't re-sample to the same size, how can different size pics (say 6MP vs 12MP) be properly compared?

Now That's a Good Question Elyharbour & it also invokes a Paradox. . .

It's a Paradox BECAUSE You Can't for Example Fully Compare a 2-Pound Box of Apples to a 1-Pound Box of Apples and Use the Same Volume-Metric Space. . .
Although Pixels are 2-Dimensional You have the Same Type of Paradox when trying to DIRECTLY COMPARE 2-Different Sized Images. . . ie. Images of 2-Different Scales or Sizes.

Because ultimately whether we print or view on various size screens, everything is re-sized.

The Following RAW Processed Image is NOT Re-Sized in Terms of Being Re-Scaled. . . It is 1:1 Sensor Pixel Mapped.  Constructed in such a Fashion so as to Accurately Reflect its Original Composition. . .

You are Looking at Direct Pixel Mapping from the Direct Sensor Output to the Display ALL in 1:1 Ratio. . .
Being Constructed in this Fashion has the Minimum of Image Creation Artifacts. This is ONE of the REASONS this Image Contains a Relatively High Level of Detail. . .  Image Size is 965 x 965 Pixels

And that's what I'm interested in - what my final image is going to look like, not what the capture pixels look like.

You may believe you're NOT Interested in the Sensor Level Output but that alone will NOT Change the FACT that Your Photo Will Be Constructed from THOSE SENSOR LEVEL PIXELS !

In the L vs. M shots I've included in the various threads, I considered using say 1000x1000 pixel crops,

That's Sounds Like a GOOD Choice as this will Direct Pixel Map @ 1:1 within a 1920 x 1080 Display.

but didn't because they are not directly comparable.

Where are Methods that Allow SIMILAR Size Comparison. . .

So what's the answer here? Your thoughts and others?

The MOON Above was Purposely Shot in Both 8-Mp RAW & 8-Mp Jpeg 4:3 "M" @ 3264 x 2448 Pixels. . .  Here's the 100% SOOC Fuji Jpeg Image Output. . .

It's Kind of Small Here but Some Basics are In Place - IF I'd Shot this Jpeg in @ 1920 x 1080 it Would Have a Similar SAME Scale Relative to the Entire Photo - Much Like Above ONLY it would Contain a HUGELY LESS NUMBER of IMAGE PIXELS of the Subject I'm Interested In. . . That's Part of WHY I Selected 8-Mp "M" 4:3

NOW I want to Blow this Thing Up Cause that's Kind Of SMALL Looking. . .
So I Open My 8-Mp File and 100% Loss-Less Crop to File the MOON Portion Out. . .
THAT PROCESS get me a 1:1 Sensor Level / Direct Pixel Mapped Image that 1:1 Direct Maps to My Display WITHOUT Using a Mathematically Interpolated Extraction "Scaling" Formula. . .
So NOW We're Looking at the ACTUAL PIXELS from the Sensor with virtually NO Artifacts. . .

I trust & hope this maybe helpful or at the least give you something to further ponder. . .

Many Thanks for ALL Your Comments & Contributions Elyharbour & For Posing that Question ! 

PAUL TILL
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

Ok shall I remove the atmosphere? Which one is the least horrible then?

-=[ Joms ]=-

They all look like you took them through your car windscreen whilst doing 70mph.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads