Nikon missed the U out of Df

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Andrew Houghton
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Nikon missed the U out of Df
4 months ago

The reason the D4 is such a great camera for News types and snippers is its ability to AF in poor light. But the Df has the D610 prism and AF system, so you are in effect getting DUf D610 with no video no ability to resolve fine detail in order to take advantage of all that fine Nikkor glass.....don't get me started.. that has to be the most expensive 50mm lens ever, given the pointlessness, and the price for/ of the Df.

Duf Duf Duf. Oh by the way, it takes 5mins and £13/$18 to convert an Ai lens for a D7000 - D4 Think what that saves you! one screwdriver! or you can do it for free with a screwdriver and a needle file or drill stand.

Andrew Houghton's gear list:Andrew Houghton's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Sony RX100 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Nikon D4 Nikon D610 Nikon D7000 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638
Like?
Re: Nikon missed the U out of Df
In reply to Andrew Houghton, 4 months ago

Andrew Houghton wrote:

The reason the D4 is such a great camera for News types and snippers is its ability to AF in poor light. But the Df has the D610 prism and AF system, so you are in effect getting DUf D610 with no video no ability to resolve fine detail in order to take advantage of all that fine Nikkor glass.....don't get me started.. that has to be the most expensive 50mm lens ever, given the pointlessness, and the price for/ of the Df.

Duf Duf Duf. Oh by the way, it takes 5mins and £13/$18 to convert an Ai lens for a D7000 - D4 Think what that saves you! one screwdriver! or you can do it for free with a screwdriver and a needle file or drill stand.

But you took a picture of the moon!! Brilliant

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
philharris
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

Andrew Houghton wrote:

Why are you so angry about something no one is forcing you to buy or use?

If you are not angry, which I'm sure you will claim, then why post something patently designed to inflame others who are enjoying owning and using the Df?

For those that buy it, it's our money. We all worked hard for it and can dispose of it how we choose.

philharris's gear list:philharris's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Andrew Houghton
Like?
In reply to philharris, 4 months ago

philharris wrote:

Andrew Houghton wrote:

If you are not angry, which I'm sure you will claim, then why post something patently designed to inflame others who are enjoying owning and using the Df?

For those that buy it, it's our money. We all worked hard for it and can dispose of it how we choose.

Whoops! good point, I'm angry at Nikon for jumping on the retro bandwagon, I know that DSLR sales are rock bottom, and the likes of Sony and others are of the view that looking at a 1megapixel LCD is the way forward. I want them to keep advancing the one thing they have steadfastly done, better image quality, better image quality and better image quality, not cash in on the D4's reputation to over price a tool for one job as the best of both worlds, when it is using last years technology to make a grab for your cash. I am just being equally cynical back.

I am pleased for you, if the Df really is what you think a camera should be, then Nikon deserve a medal, but I really can't find any imperial evidence to support it being a good camera, it might have been had it preceded the D4 but so was the D1 the D2 and the D70 in it's day, you can pick them up for £200 on ebay now. So why Nikon thought it okay to put silver knobs on 4yr old technology and sell it for twice the price, angers me. And my apologies for being angry in your eyeline.

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Sony RX100 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
OfCounsel
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?

Every time I see one of these pointless, angry threads, I think it is nice of these folks to identify themselves as authors of useless posts, ripe for the "ignore" button.  Make it so.

Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 713Gear list
Like?

Andrew Houghton wrote:

as tired as i am of people gushing over the Df mostly on account of it being the sexy new toy, i'm also irked by posts like this, where someone slags it off with equal superficiality.

the Df isn't the ultimate camera, but neither is a crippled performer out of the box. it seems to be to have a somewhat limited feature set but nevertheless adequately configured to produce the kind of photography it is most suited to.

it is not intended to be the "poor man's D4," but at the same time, in capable hands it no doubt is capable of producing images equal in quality to those from the flagship camera.

as someone else noted, no one is being forced to buy a Df. some will buy it for some sense of prestige, but i expect plenty of them will end up in the hands of serious people who will produce sensational work -- far from pointlessness, in my opinion.

Hugo First's gear list:Hugo First's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 600 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3100 Nikon D800 +15 more
Andrew Houghton
Like?
In reply to john Clinch, 4 months ago

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

I took this too! Are you better informed? No!

sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,059Gear list
Like?
Sales numbers and the excitement here would seem to Justify

I would never have purchased a D3x or a D4, but never thought to resent them, or Nikon for that matter. They seem to be one of only two profitable camera companies, but hey, what do they know. They have a camera lineup and lens lineup second to none. If none of them excite you, try one of the other camera companies, while they are still around.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Andrew Houghton
Like?
In reply to john Clinch, 4 months ago

I checked out your link John, fabulous images, but one thing puzzles me. Are you a member of the f64 group http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Group_f/64? Not one of your images demonstrates control of depth of field, they all look sharp from front to back. I know this was in vogue in the 1920-30's but haven't we moved on, or do you not consider art has any place in photography?

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,896
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, 4 months ago

Every camera has its purpose for different types of photography.  The df may be the best travel and street camera where the d800 for landscape where the d4 for quick action.  People seem to like to downgrade a certain model because it may not suit their type of photography.

I think Nikon offers a lot of different models and should be commented for that.  No, Nikon has the df camera for a certain type photographer and don't forget photography for us hobbyist is suppose to be fun.  I think the df should be a lot of fun for certain people.

Larry

4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?

Andrew Houghton wrote:

Do you know that everyone and his mama are making "expert" proclamations that are all over the place and include the worst and the best? Most of these "opinions" (which of course everyone has a right to express) are absolutely meaningless as there is no established credibility in the creator the opinion or what is being said. But let's just keep on going. The entertainment value of hearing what comes from a trance like state is limitless.

Seriously, do most of you really think you have any clue as to what you are talking about? If so, you are very wrong.

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,105Gear list
Like?
GNAA ?

I assume you are a troll?
--
http://sgoldswoblog.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgoldswo/

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
philharris
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

Andrew Houghton wrote:

I am pleased for you, if the Df really is what you think a camera should be, then Nikon deserve a medal, but I really can't find any imperial evidence to support it being a good camera, it might have been had it preceded the D4 but so was the D1 the D2 and the D70 in it's day, you can pick them up for £200 on ebay now. So why Nikon thought it okay to put silver knobs on 4yr old technology and sell it for twice the price, angers me. And my apologies for being angry in your eyeline.

My definition of what a camera should be includes many forms.

I have a D800 and a D7100, I might have bought a D4 but nothing I shoot requires the speed, and I like the idea of something a little lighter but still using my older lens collection.

I also own a Sony RX100 which I really enjoy using when the situation is right.

Photography is simply a hobby for me, it provides me with a fun way to spend my spare time, that's all.

As for empirical evidence to establish it's credentials as a good camera, I would say that the results are similar enough to a D4 for that aspect to be proven, the rest is down to the user and simply a matter of opinion, and you know mine.

philharris's gear list:philharris's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
laddsmith
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
In reply to 4x5 Guy, 4 months ago

It aint the arrow, it is the Indian.  This is probably the lamest thread around-but then you could criticize me for even reading it.  DF is a good camera, in the right hands will produce spectacular results.  I will keep the D800E, but respect some of the advantages of the DF-low light, small size, etc.

Oh...don't know why I even responded

-- hide signature --

Ladd Smith

Andrew Houghton
Like?
Re: Sales numbers and the excitement here would seem to Justify
In reply to sandy b, 4 months ago

sandy b wrote:

I would never have purchased a D3x or a D4, but never thought to resent them, or Nikon for that matter. They seem to be one of only two profitable camera companies, but hey, what do they know. They have a camera lineup and lens lineup second to none. If none of them excite you, try one of the other camera companies, while they are still around.

Why would you resent them? I'm confused, what part of my point is this addressing, you seem to make a point I didn't then argue. Nikon is the name on all but three of my cameras, a Mamiya RZ67, a Fuji s9600 and a Pentax Spotmatic F. The D7000 that sadly ended up in Lidney Harbour trying to get a shot on a slippy wall, the D600 that replace it, the F3 the N8008 the F90s are all lovely, I'd like a D4 and a D800E for different jobs, but as I can't afford the outlay, any hi res images will have to be shot on my RZ67 and drum scanned, or I will borrow a 5x7 so no I don't think I feel the need to go to Sony or Pentax, save maybe the Digital M-format as business demands it.

My gripe just to be clear is simple. The D4 is fast accurate and brilliant for News /sport. The D800 for most everything else. The D610 is neither in one camp or the other but is affordable.

The Df is a necklace! Look at me I have what looks a bit like the film camera I always wanted but couldn't afford when the kids were growing up, It has the same sensor as the D4 an amazing camera, and oh I get so nostalgic and miss those big chunky dials to set the mechanical shutter on my FM back in the day, so nice of Nikon to play ball and rekindle the good old days when I took myself down to Boots to pick up my 6x4's. And all for £2700 with a 50mm lens

Why you think I could resent a D3x or D4? They aren't necklaces. Least ways no photographer I know with one pampers his. They are purposeful pieces of kit , built like battleships, durable in any weather, made to get the shot. No because I trust Nikon not to sell themselves short, I get very Very irritated by gimmicks, If you want jewellery you can always go to Tiffany's or Cartier and buy a medallion.

One I took earlier with my D600!

NTNphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?

sandy b wrote:

Why would you resent them? I'm confused, what part of my point is this addressing, you seem to make a point I didn't then argue. Nikon is the name on all but three of my cameras, a Mamiya RZ67, a Fuji s9600 and a Pentax Spotmatic F. The D7000 that sadly ended up in Lidney Harbour trying to get a shot on a slippy wall, the D600 that replace it, the F3 the N8008 the F90s are all lovely, I'd like a D4 and a D800E for different jobs, but as I can't afford the outlay, any hi res images will have to be shot on my RZ67 and drum scanned, or I will borrow a 5x7 so no I don't think I feel the need to go to Sony or Pentax, save maybe the Digital M-format as business demands it.

My gripe just to be clear is simple. The D4 is fast accurate and brilliant for News /sport. The D800 for most everything else. The D610 is neither in one camp or the other but is affordable.

The Df is a necklace! Look at me I have what looks a bit like the film camera I always wanted but couldn't afford when the kids were growing up, It has the same sensor as the D4 an amazing camera, and oh I get so nostalgic and miss those big chunky dials to set the mechanical shutter on my FM back in the day, so nice of Nikon to play ball and rekindle the good old days when I took myself down to Boots to pick up my 6x4's. And all for £2700 with a 50mm lens

Why you think I could resent a D3x or D4? They aren't necklaces. Least ways no photographer I know with one pampers his. They are purposeful pieces of kit , built like battleships, durable in any weather, made to get the shot. No because I trust Nikon not to sell themselves short, I get very Very irritated by gimmicks, If you want jewellery you can always go to Tiffany's or Cartier and buy a medallion.

This actually quite stupid. Not usually one to say someone or something is stupid, but there it is...

In the D4 you are mostly paying for build, AF speed, fps, and the low light sensor.

What if you want something that is light, doesn't need to be indestructible, or shoot 100 frames over 10 seconds, but you do want something good in low light and is smallish for travel there's your Df.

There's more than one way to skin a cat I suppose you could say.

NTNphoto's gear list:NTNphoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218
Like?

philharris wrote:

Andrew Houghton wrote:

I'm guessing purchase justification for his D600.

Andrew Houghton
Like?
In reply to NTNphoto, 4 months ago

NTNphoto wrote:

sandy b wrote:

This actually quite stupid. Not usually one to say someone or something is stupid, but there it is...

In the D4 you are mostly paying for build, AF speed, fps, and the low light sensor.

What if you want something that is light, doesn't need to be indestructible, or shoot 100 frames over 10 seconds, but you do want something good in low light and is smallish for travel there's your Df.

There's more than one way to skin a cat I suppose you could say.

Can you explain how a c-mos sensor takes pictures, the benefit of back lighting, the artifacts associated with Johnson noise, the reason the D4 sensor is superior to that in the D610 or D7100, the meaning of sensitivity, sensor saturation and why and to what purpose dB are used to define them? Or do you want to explain why it is necessary to use analogies to explain things to people who don't profess to know anything about the physics, but everything a journalist has told them is fact? I'm intrigued and stupid as you say, but then knowing what you don't know is the best way to start a journey of enlightenment. How many Lumens in enlightenment?

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,036Gear list
Like?
Five Reasons not related to ancient glass
In reply to MoreorLess, 4 months ago

Soooo... These five reasons aren't valid?

http://inthemistphoto.com/2013/11/24/five-reasons-why-i-ordered-a-nikon-df/

I wrote that after I ordered it. After carrying the camera for two weeks every day and I like the Dƒ even better than I imagined.

It does what the D4 can't do.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Andrew Houghton
Like?
In reply to MoreorLess, 4 months ago

Too right, but if Nikon had put a premium on making a better camera for £2700 I would have hailed them as heroes, every single reply has been purchase justification. Not for a D600 at £1100 put for ... what is the point if you have one, the emperors new clothes are stunning...if you haven't I hope you read what I said first, and then if you still want to turn Nikon into another jewellery manufacturer the case for improvement is lost! Are cameras as good as they can ever be, that manufacturers are turning to boutique nonsense? Have you seen the latest Hasselblad APS-C camera or the Leica badged panasonics? Most peoples images never leave their PC screen at most 2400x1900pixels.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads