Best memory card for A7r

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
rishi o'
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
Best memory card for A7r
4 months ago

I just ordered a 128GB Transcend Memory card for my A7r for $100. I'm wondering if I made a sound decision and what people think of the quality of a Transcend card compared to a better known brand such as Sandisk which costs $200 for similar specs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EH5US4W/ref=gb1h_img_c-3_1722_634f52ba?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0BF67T4EHHB4H4NQBJMZ&pf_rd_i=761198&pf_rd_p=1683071722

-- hide signature --
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sp1te
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for A7r
In reply to rishi o', 4 months ago

Well I was a sandisk shooter for years, and a couple friends I knew were shooting transcend and said it was fine and about half the cost for the cf cards at the time. I picked some up and now its all I have. Never had any issues with the cards in any environment.

sp1te's gear list:sp1te's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K-7 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489Gear list
Like?

Better to get a Memory Stick, they are faster than the SD cards and relaible -and your camera will have less issues with overheating while shooting video.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A99 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +14 more
uhoh07
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
In reply to pako, 4 months ago

I'm using Sony SDXC1 64 gb 94 mb/s.

Camera boots fast and wakes fast.

When you hear complaints about this, I'm pretty sure it's the card.

What ever you get, make fast as possible.

uhoh07's gear list:uhoh07's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406
Like?
In reply to pako, 4 months ago

pako wrote:

Better to get a Memory Stick, they are faster than the SD cards and relaible -and your camera will have less issues with overheating while shooting video.

Really? Reduced heating writing to memory stick vs SD? Do you have any links pointing to the reasons why, I'd love to see that, thanks.

I buy 32GB SDHC UHS-1 cards --- never the top speed, for that's just a waste, particularly for cameras like these. I prefer more cards than fewer cards.

bwana4swahili
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?

I prefer 32 GB SDHC Class 10 (or better) cards.  Any larger/faster, I think, is simply overkill & a higher cost.  This spec nicely handles images and does an adequate job with full 1080 video.  Not much else required...

bwana4swahili's gear list:bwana4swahili's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +47 more
bwana4swahili
Like?
In reply to bwana4swahili, 4 months ago

I should also have mentioned that since these cards are very common they are quite often on sale for a very reasonable cost, as they were at B&H (and other retail stores) last week.

Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +47 more
pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489Gear list
Like?
In reply to sroute, 4 months ago

sroute wrote:

pako wrote:

Really? Reduced heating writing to memory stick vs SD? Do you have any links pointing to the reasons why, I'd love to see that, thanks.

Search on photoclubalpha.com/forum for user Agorabasta and you will find moreinformation about it.

I buy 32GB SDHC UHS-1 cards --- never the top speed, for that's just a waste, particularly for cameras like these. I prefer more cards than fewer cards.

I agree about "more cards than fewer cards". I only have issues with a Sony SD card once (it got physically damaged and I insisted on using it), but if you loose a big card, you loose lots of data...

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A99 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +14 more
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
Re: A7(R) support UHS-1 cards
In reply to bwana4swahili, 4 months ago

bwana4swahili wrote:

I prefer 32 GB SDHC Class 10 (or better) cards. Any larger/faster, I think, is simply overkill & a higher cost. This spec nicely handles images and does an adequate job with full 1080 video. Not much else required...

For A7(R) a fast UHS-1 card is not an overkill. The A7(R) is first E mount camera to support UHS-1 cards and given the size of files a faster card will give you faster operation (and shorter periods of "writing to memory card. unable to operate" before chimping the pics you have just taken), specially if you ever need to use the burst mode.

Personally I use a couple of 64 GB 600x Transcend UHS-1 cards. Decent performance/price ratio (there are about 70% faster than my old cards in Chrystaldiskmark) and noticeably less waiting on writes than my older 32 GB class 10 cards. Combined with USB 3 SDHC reader even the imports to Lightroom (I'm a RAW_only shooter) are reasonably fast.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +10 more
rishi o'
Like?
In reply to tn1krr, 4 months ago

bwana4swahili wrote:

I prefer 32 GB SDHC Class 10 (or better) cards. Any larger/faster, I think, is simply overkill & a higher cost. This spec nicely handles images and does an adequate job with full 1080 video. Not much else required...

For A7(R) a fast UHS-1 card is not an overkill. The A7(R) is first E mount camera to support UHS-1 cards and given the size of files a faster card will give you faster operation (and shorter periods of "writing to memory card. unable to operate" before chimping the pics you have just taken), specially if you ever need to use the burst mode.

Personally I use a couple of 64 GB 600x Transcend UHS-1 cards. Decent performance/price ratio (there are about 70% faster than my old cards in Chrystaldiskmark) and noticeably less waiting on writes than my older 32 GB class 10 cards. Combined with USB 3 SDHC reader even the imports to Lightroom (I'm a RAW_only shooter) are reasonably fast.

From experience I prefer to get fast and reloable cards that are large in capacity. I do quite a bit of video and photography. How do Sony Memory cards compare to sd cards? Are they faster?

-- hide signature --
Sush15
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

Anyone considering the toshiba exceria pro cards? They are faster than uhs 1 cards.. Toshiba looks like they are pioneering uhs2 cards

Sush15's gear list:Sush15's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 685
Like?

ive tried a lot of cards .. many of them have tremendous "headline" transfer rates - like the Sony own brands advertising >90 mb/s .. but test them and invariably you find super fast READ speed and crap (relatively) <20mb/s WRITE speeds

WRITE speed being far more critical than READ speed

the best compromise ive found PRICE vs WRITE speed is the Sandisk Extreme video (i think they have a new range of names out replacing this now)

SONY SDXC UHS-1
Writing speed: 18.6 MByte/s
Reading speed: 79.1 MByte/s

SANDISK EXTREME HD VIDEO
Writing speed: 28.7 MByte/s
Reading speed: 43.1 MByte/s

CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,015Gear list
Like?
In reply to hyenadog, 4 months ago

I've had good luck with Sony, Transcend, Lexar and Sandisk.  But I would hesitate to get only one very large card for my camera and would instead opt for two or three smaller cards. A couple of years ago when 32 GB cards were the biggest and most expensive you could buy, a photographer from the UK was on a photo trip to Yellowstone with a pro photographer I know.  On the first day the guest photographer's 32GB card failed. Since it was so big he could shoot for days, he didn't bring another card along.  He had to borrow much smaller cards and find a way to download them every day.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Sush15
Like?
In reply to hyenadog, 4 months ago

This is good info.. Have you looked at Toshiba exceria pro cards?
What is the capacity of the sandisk hd video that you have?

camcollect
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?
In reply to Sush15, 4 months ago

Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards give the best performance. They have the fastest write and read speeds. $60 on Amazon and well worth the extra $$

rishi o'
Like?
In reply to camcollect, 4 months ago

camcollect wrote:

Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards give the best performance. They have the fastest write and read speeds. $60 on Amazon and well worth the extra $$

Is it worth it over the transcend 128gb sdxc card. The transcend does 80 write / 80 read which seems close to the sandisk, but sold at amazon for $100. I ordered it but may return it if the sandisk cards are more reliable and if the speed difference is significant compared to the sandisk extreme pro 64gb cards.

I am in the camp of getting fewer bigger cards than several smaller cards. Most of the problems that happen in sd cards come from constantly swapping. I woudn't have that problem with 128gb cards. The smallest card I would get for the A7r would be 64gb. Keep in mind I shoot RAW and do a lot of 1080P video as well.

-- hide signature --
Sush15
Like?

camcollect wrote:

Is it worth it over the transcend 128gb sdxc card. The transcend does 80 write / 80 read which seems close to the sandisk, but sold at amazon for $100. I ordered it but may return it if the sandisk cards are more reliable and if the speed difference is significant compared to the sandisk extreme pro 64gb cards.

I am in the camp of getting fewer bigger cards than several smaller cards. Most of the problems that happen in sd cards come from constantly swapping. I woudn't have that problem with 128gb cards. The smallest card I would get for the A7r would be 64gb. Keep in mind I shoot RAW and do a lot of 1080P video as well.

-- hide signature --

Not sure if this helps but I am currently using sandisk extreme pro 64gb and find that i have to give camera 5 to 8 seconds more to complete writing before I can review. I also shoot raw. I wonder if Toshiba is faster but 64gb is much to expensive right now. Would get 32gb. Wouldn't prefer to be using 64gb.

camcollect
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?

rishi o' wrote:

camcollect wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ive never used this card, but the specs say 22 MB/s Read.

The SanDisk does have a delay to review images...do you get this with Transcend?

I get about 1 sec start-up and <1 sec wake up from sleep with the Sandisk. Been very happy with its performance on the Leica M240 and the Sony a7R

I find 32GB or 64GB more than sufficient and I always shoot raw. 64GB is the largest I go, and its never limited me.

rishi o'
Like?
In reply to camcollect, 4 months ago

Ive never used this card, but the specs say 22 MB/s Read.

The SanDisk does have a delay to review images...do you get this with Transcend?

I get about 1 sec start-up and <1 sec wake up from sleep with the Sandisk. Been very happy with its performance on the Leica M240 and the Sony a7R

I find 32GB or 64GB more than sufficient and I always shoot raw. 64GB is the largest I go, and its never limited me.

The specs that I'm reading on the transcend says 80mb read and write:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1003464-REG/transcend_ts128gsdxc10u1_128gb_sdxc_uhs_1_card_600x.html

I just ordered it for $100 and don't receive it till monday. I will return it if the sandisk 64gb is supposed to perform significantly better and/or has better reliability. From what I've read on the internet so far, the transcend is a better value with equal reliability and nearly the same speed read/write.

btw - one of the reasons I'm interested in the 128gb is because i'm traveling for a few months and would rather not have to swap cards if it goes empty. That's where losing data is most likely. I currently have:

two 64gb sanddisk ultra cards

two 32gb sandisk extreme hd video cards

both cards say 30mb/s on the label. I'm looking to get a faster card for my new a7r so either:

- sandisk extreme pro 64gb card (95mb/s) - $115

or

- Transcend 600x 128gb card (80mb/s) - $100

-- hide signature --
bwana4swahili
Like?
In reply to tn1krr, 4 months ago

I'm using the Sandisk Extreme (R/W: 45MB/s) 32GB (Class 10) cards.  They're a bit faster than the standard Class 10 Sandisk card and work just fine.  They can also be bought for about $25 each (with a bit of searching).  I just cannot justify double the cost (or more) for the Extreme Pro...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads