A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Tom Grzelinski
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
7 months ago

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

Is this purely down to processing the extra pixels? It seemed odd to me and was a disappointment with an otherwise stunning camera.

Do other A7 owners find this 'lag' or was something not set correctly on the store demo?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

ANSWER:
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,517Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

Is this purely down to processing the extra pixels? It seemed odd to me and was a disappointment with an otherwise stunning camera.

Do other A7 owners find this 'lag' or was something not set correctly on the store demo?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

The 2 big defects of the Alpha 7 cameras are,

- relatively slow AF

- only 3 native lenses available compared to 100 for the E-M5.

Sales figures reflect how the public is choosing between these cameras.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Samsung WB750 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,623Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

No, it's normal.

Steve Huff mentionned it in his review:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/11/29/the-sony-a7-and-a7r-camera-review-by-steve-huff/

"These cameras do indeed feel slower than an Olympus E-M1 or RX1 in use and I kind of compare them to shooting medium format. Slow paced and steady. Aim, compose, fire. These are not the cameras for sports shooters or machine gun blazing shutter crazies as they are not."

"I like the build, the feel, the design and the features but I think the response is just not there when compared to my Olympus E-M1, which is lightning fast in response. I have been shooting that E-M1 like mad and when I switched it up to the A7 and A7r it seemed like I was working in slow motion..and I am not talking about AF, just overall response time of the camera."

 bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Grzelinski
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to bluevellet, 7 months ago

First responder - what? You did not answer my question at all!

Second responder - ace, thanks for the reply, this answers my question perfectly - thank you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

I read ear some bad reviews on the a7 focusing and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it focuses and also in low light. As much has to do with the lens as the camera. The 75-300mm on my E-M1 in low light hunts a lot.

To be honest I have no issues with the focus. I have had much slower over the years and got by fine. The high ISO pictures from the a7 blows the E-M1 out of the water. Full frame at $2000.00. It's a better bargain than the $1300.00 E-M1

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,070Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

First responder - what? You did not answer my question at all!

Second responder - ace, thanks for the reply, this answers my question perfectly - thank you.

As far as back to back shots, I have no issue shooting RAW waiting on the A7. I have instant review turned off (blocks out viewfinder too long). To me it feels very quick. I haven't used the EM1.

In contrast, my Samsung NX300 is comparatively slow shooting, a bunch of RAW shots in a row and the camera will be processing for some time before it is ready again (it is much better than the older NX cameras, not bad, but the difference between a consumer camera and a pro camera).

So I don't think you would have an issue on the A7 shooting quickly, maybe not sports, but for firing off a quick burst of 5 shots during a portrait shoot (5 is just a random number, it will fire as quick as I press the shutter), and keep going without the camera freezing up.

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

Hi, I recall reading about this shot-to-shot delay somewhere on another thread. The solution was to disable the automatic reviewing of images; then the camera became responsive. Haven't tried this myself, this is just what I've read.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

 seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
venice
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to viking79, 7 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

First responder - what? You did not answer my question at all!

Second responder - ace, thanks for the reply, this answers my question perfectly - thank you.

As far as back to back shots, I have no issue shooting RAW waiting on the A7. I have instant review turned off (blocks out viewfinder too long). To me it feels very quick. I haven't used the EM1.

In contrast, my Samsung NX300 is comparatively slow shooting, a bunch of RAW shots in a row and the camera will be processing for some time before it is ready again (it is much better than the older NX cameras, not bad, but the difference between a consumer camera and a pro camera).

So I don't think you would have an issue on the A7 shooting quickly, maybe not sports, but for firing off a quick burst of 5 shots during a portrait shoot (5 is just a random number, it will fire as quick as I press the shutter), and keep going without the camera freezing up.

Eric

Mine too

-Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Allochka Emiliana
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

Is this purely down to processing the extra pixels? It seemed odd to me and was a disappointment with an otherwise stunning camera.

Do other A7 owners find this 'lag' or was something not set correctly on the store demo?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

from DP Preview...

"Update: initial tests with our production-level α7 and α7R cameras have shown much-improved AF speed and accuracy. We'll have more details in our final reviews of these cameras."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,689Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

I noticed this pictures - see below - not sure what lens choices were made though.

Also, check camera-sizes and camera-sizes2

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

OMD-D has 12-bit ADC, the A7 has 14-bit ADC. If you shoot RAW, the OM raw file is about 14.4Mb, the A7 about 24MB, plus the size of the JPG image. When using the same SDcard (write speed), it means that the A7 will take about 50% longer to get the data onto the SDcard.

If you only shoot JPG, this factor can increase, as higher resolution JPG compress less easily, but the overall data will be reduced. The size however if very image scene dependent.

Is this purely down to processing the extra pixels? It seemed odd to me and was a disappointment with an otherwise stunning camera.

No. You have to turn off auto-review - it really slows down the camera operation.

Do other A7 owners find this 'lag' or was something not set correctly on the store demo?

Not at all. I can take another image almost instantly after the first one is taken. It is almost alike using the drive-mode in burst mode.

With a manual lens, or pre-focused lens, you should get 5fps, with an AF lens, and refocusing, you should get about 2.5fps.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
perry rhodan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed or size?
In reply to blue_skies, 7 months ago

Hi Henry,

So speed has evolved in size.

What a funny comparison. Thanks had a good laugh! LOL

Regards Perry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to blue_skies, 7 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras

M43 has really stepped up in the small size segment with cameras like the GM1 that is slightly smaller than an RX100 but can use those great pancake lenses. While I don't like the 4x3 AR, this is the one camera I might buy. It is everything the old NEX cameras wanted to be and may explain Sony's shift to the larger bodies.

I keep waiting for a new small NEX body but the past year only brought re-badges of the old bodies and 1 large body.  An so far all is quiet for rumors.  Sony is helping those claiming NEX is dead.

but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

It is really hard to compare since the A7 only has 2 or 3 native lenses and they have short focal lengths, here is a good example of some cameras with standard ~50mm F/1.8 lens (the most common primes).

http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.93,487.395,482.93,380.306,ha,t

You can see that the A7 ends up being pretty large even compared to a standard full frame camera.  This may be why there are no lenses longer than 70mm right now because there size will scare buyers away.  It also explains why Sony said they will go with F/4 zooms over F/2.8 that are offered on all the other systems.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

OMD-D has 12-bit ADC, the A7 has 14-bit ADC.

That doesn't explain the slow start up time and slower overall operation. It does explain the 1.5-2.5 fps (remember when the Canon SL1 was flamed for only 4 fps!). Sony might have skimped on the processor because the old D600 is faster in every way as well as the 5.5 fps (2-3x faster!). This might explain too why the D600 using the same sensor gets better output.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,577
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to captura, 7 months ago

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

Is this purely down to processing the extra pixels? It seemed odd to me and was a disappointment with an otherwise stunning camera.

Do other A7 owners find this 'lag' or was something not set correctly on the store demo?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

The 2 big defects of the Alpha 7 cameras are,

- relatively slow AF

- only 3 native lenses available compared to 100 for the E-M5.

Sales figures reflect how the public is choosing between these cameras.

Lol fan boy. Nothing you said has anything to do with the question asked.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,785
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to DT200, 7 months ago

DT200 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras

M43 has really stepped up in the small size segment with cameras like the GM1 that is slightly smaller than an RX100 but can use those great pancake lenses. While I don't like the 4x3 AR, this is the one camera I might buy. It is everything the old NEX cameras wanted to be and may explain Sony's shift to the larger bodies.

Sounds great until you acknowledge the fact that anyone looking at the E-M1 and A7 will be looking for a minimum feature set including EVF, grip, controls, etc. There is a reason that DPR compares the GM1 to the RX100 and Pentax Q7.

I keep waiting for a new small NEX body but the past year only brought re-badges of the old bodies and 1 large body. An so far all is quiet for rumors. Sony is helping those claiming NEX is dead.

Sounds like you were waiting for the RX100II and didn't know it.

but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

It is really hard to compare since the A7 only has 2 or 3 native lenses and they have short focal lengths, here is a good example of some cameras with standard ~50mm F/1.8 lens (the most common primes).

http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.93,487.395,482.93,380.306,ha,t

Easy to do when you arbitrarily decide what should be compared... I think it's more accurate to compare a 20mm APS-C f2.8 lens to a 17mm m4/3 f1.8 lens..

http://camerasize.com/compact/#488.369,482.383,ha,t

You can see that the A7 ends up being pretty large even compared to a standard full frame camera. This may be why there are no lenses longer than 70mm right now because there size will scare buyers away. It also explains why Sony said they will go with F/4 zooms over F/2.8 that are offered on all the other systems.

As you can see the E-M1 ends up being pretty large even compared to the compact full frame cameras like the A7r.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

OMD-D has 12-bit ADC, the A7 has 14-bit ADC.

That doesn't explain the slow start up time and slower overall operation. It does explain the 1.5-2.5 fps (remember when the Canon SL1 was flamed for only 4 fps!). Sony might have skimped on the processor because the old D600 is faster in every way as well as the 5.5 fps (2-3x faster!). This might explain too why the D600 using the same sensor gets better output.

Slower overall operation is relative.   If you actually used both cameras you would see that there is not much difference when you use the cameras like you would when you weren't trying to win an internet discussion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,517Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Cane, 7 months ago

Cane wrote:

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

Is this purely down to processing the extra pixels? It seemed odd to me and was a disappointment with an otherwise stunning camera.

Do other A7 owners find this 'lag' or was something not set correctly on the store demo?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

The 2 big defects of the Alpha 7 cameras are,

- relatively slow AF

- only 3 native lenses available compared to 100 for the E-M5.

Sales figures reflect how the public is choosing between these cameras.

Lol fan boy. Nothing you said has anything to do with the question asked.

I was exactly addressing one of the issues raised by the OP. The slow response time of the A7 cameras is partially if not fully related to the focusing speed and the A7's are not keeping up with the times wrt the AF performance of many other cameras. This plus the poor tracking ability give some Nikons, Canons and the E-M1 a solid edge in performance.

If Sony does not find and implement a design solution withing a year or two, the 7A/r may be relegated to the dustbin. I prefer to believe that the A7/r is just a stop-gap camera which will soon be replaced by a better model.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Samsung WB750 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

Turn off image review.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,517Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Clayton1985, 7 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

DT200 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras

M43 has really stepped up in the small size segment with cameras like the GM1 that is slightly smaller than an RX100 but can use those great pancake lenses. While I don't like the 4x3 AR, this is the one camera I might buy. It is everything the old NEX cameras wanted to be and may explain Sony's shift to the larger bodies.

Sounds great until you acknowledge the fact that anyone looking at the E-M1 and A7 will be looking for a minimum feature set including EVF, grip, controls, etc. There is a reason that DPR compares the GM1 to the RX100 and Pentax Q7.

I keep waiting for a new small NEX body but the past year only brought re-badges of the old bodies and 1 large body. An so far all is quiet for rumors. Sony is helping those claiming NEX is dead.

Sounds like you were waiting for the RX100II and didn't know it.

but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

It is really hard to compare since the A7 only has 2 or 3 native lenses and they have short focal lengths, here is a good example of some cameras with standard ~50mm F/1.8 lens (the most common primes).

http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.93,487.395,482.93,380.306,ha,t

Easy to do when you arbitrarily decide what should be compared... I think it's more accurate to compare a 20mm APS-C f2.8 lens to a 17mm m4/3 f1.8 lens..

http://camerasize.com/compact/#488.369,482.383,ha,t

You can see that the A7 ends up being pretty large even compared to a standard full frame camera. This may be why there are no lenses longer than 70mm right now because there size will scare buyers away. It also explains why Sony said they will go with F/4 zooms over F/2.8 that are offered on all the other systems.

As you can see the E-M1 ends up being pretty large even compared to the compact full frame cameras like the A7r.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

OMD-D has 12-bit ADC, the A7 has 14-bit ADC.

That doesn't explain the slow start up time and slower overall operation. It does explain the 1.5-2.5 fps (remember when the Canon SL1 was flamed for only 4 fps!). Sony might have skimped on the processor because the old D600 is faster in every way as well as the 5.5 fps (2-3x faster!). This might explain too why the D600 using the same sensor gets better output.

Slower overall operation is relative. If you actually used both cameras you would see that there is not much difference when you use the cameras like you would when you weren't trying to win an internet discussion.

You M43 Fanboys don't get it because to you, the Olympus E-M1 is the Center of your Universe. In fact, the real challenge for the A7/r cameras is to make it a most attractive unit for the Canon and Nikon owners, in order to have them purchase and then hang their old Canikon lenses thereon. It may not be good enough to attract very many of these transferees.

But the Canikonistas will not be buying into the quarter-frame E-M1.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Samsung WB750 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to DT200, 7 months ago

DT200 wrote:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.93,487.395,482.93,380.306,ha,tYou can see that the A7 ends up being pretty large even compared to a standard full frame camera.

The OP isn't comparing the camera to full frame DSLRs but to an Olympus OM-D E-M1.

Here's a more relevant size comparison featuring the Leica 25mm/1.4:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.352,487.395,ha,t

And the right side view is telling too:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.352,487.395,ha,r

Both camera / lens combinations are generally going to fit in the same bag yet the Sony has a full frame sensor. For those that care about such things, the size difference - already small - suddenly becomes a wash or irrelevant.

That doesn't explain the slow start up time

My A7r consistently starts up before I can finish saying "One Thousand And One, One".

This doesn't feel like a slow camera to start up, to me. I've certainly owned other mirrorless cameras with far worse start-up time.

and slower overall operation.

Disable image review and the camera feels like a totally different beast. I don't need to chimp every shot; turning off image review is  my default for any mirrorless camera.

It does explain the 1.5-2.5 fps (remember when the Canon SL1 was flamed for only 4 fps!).

These are definitely not cameras for the high FPS set. Someone wanting full frame and high speed shot to shot performance should be looking at a DSLR most of which will cost more, and all of which will be much larger and heavier kits.

Sony might have skimped on the processor because the old D600 is faster in every way as well as the 5.5 fps (2-3x faster!).

The A7 cameras have Sony's latest Bionz processor. I'm certainly not finding my A7r delivers poorer files than my D800.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Clayton1985, 7 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

DT200 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Tom Grzelinski wrote:

Hi, I am not a professional photographer but a keen amateur. Today I tried out the A7 and OM-D E-M1 primarily to see the size difference as I had read the OM-D was 'much' larger than normal m43 cameras

M43 has really stepped up in the small size segment with cameras like the GM1 that is slightly smaller than an RX100 but can use those great pancake lenses. While I don't like the 4x3 AR, this is the one camera I might buy. It is everything the old NEX cameras wanted to be and may explain Sony's shift to the larger bodies.

Sounds great until you acknowledge the fact that anyone looking at the E-M1 and A7 will be looking for a minimum feature set including EVF, grip, controls, etc. There is a reason that DPR compares the GM1 to the RX100 and Pentax Q7.

Because of their small size. Did you notice how there is no more NEX camera to compare? They were always too big with their lenses anyway.

I keep waiting for a new small NEX body but the past year only brought re-badges of the old bodies and 1 large body. An so far all is quiet for rumors. Sony is helping those claiming NEX is dead.

Sounds like you were waiting for the RX100II and didn't know it.

Good advice. Anyone waiting for a new NEX should look at the RX100II. You say there may never be a new small body.

but A7 reviews had failed to mention this. Anyhow, I was surprised that they were both almost identical sizes and I found both a joy to hold and use.

It is really hard to compare since the A7 only has 2 or 3 native lenses and they have short focal lengths, here is a good example of some cameras with standard ~50mm F/1.8 lens (the most common primes).

http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.93,487.395,482.93,380.306,ha,t

Easy to do when you arbitrarily decide what should be compared..

I compared all the 50mm F/1.8 lenses. Completely fair.

If you want to compare the 35-40mm range of F/2.8 lens we can do that (and leave out those M43 cameras that upset everyone here)...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#487.394,380.345,ha,t

You can see that once you add a lens the size difference mostly goes away.  The difference is one focuses better, has a better grip, more controls, an more options.  Both are full frame.

You can see that the A7 ends up being pretty large even compared to a standard full frame camera. This may be why there are no lenses longer than 70mm right now because there size will scare buyers away. It also explains why Sony said they will go with F/4 zooms over F/2.8 that are offered on all the other systems.

As you can see the E-M1 ends up being pretty large even compared to the compact full frame cameras like the A7r.

But you already ready know from your posting history that the E-M1 was made to be larger for those coming from the DSLR world.  You know that the GX7 and other camera are smaller if that is what you want.   It is a shame Sony gave up on smaller cameras like that.

The one thing that surprised me and I'd like to canvas opinion on was the speed with which the cameras were ready to take another shot. The OM-D was ready almost instantaneously and you could rattle off 2, 3, 4 etc. really quickly whereas the A7 took about 1 to 1.5 secs (rough guess) to be ready to take the next shot.

OMD-D has 12-bit ADC, the A7 has 14-bit ADC.

That doesn't explain the slow start up time and slower overall operation. It does explain the 1.5-2.5 fps (remember when the Canon SL1 was flamed for only 4 fps!). Sony might have skimped on the processor because the old D600 is faster in every way as well as the 5.5 fps (2-3x faster!). This might explain too why the D600 using the same sensor gets better output.

Slower overall operation is relative.

No it is not.  Waiting an extra few seconds for a camera to turn on is NOT relative.  Waiting for delays when changing settings is what many reviewers have said is "frustrating".    Why can the FF cameras with the same price perform so much faster?  Why can these cameras only shoot at up to 2.5 fps???

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,352
Like?
Re: A7 vs OM-D E-M1 speed?
In reply to Tom Grzelinski, 7 months ago

Not even close to being a contest...lol...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads