WOW...My Nikon 24-120 f/4.0 VR Lens

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Benjamin Kanarek
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
WOW...My Nikon 24-120 f/4.0 VR Lens
9 months ago

I have been testing my Nikon 24-120 f/4.0 VR Lens and all I can say is WOW!!! Really. Just tested it wide open at f4.0 and at 3200 iso and at 1/40th of a second hand held on my Nikon D800 using the 5:4 crop mode and what ever complaints I have heard by some, must be coming from people who have NOT actually used this lens.

Focused on the pr of "Spring"

Saved at Medium from RAW to JPEG in PS CS6 so there is compression for this site

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW...My Nikon 24-120 f/4.0 VR Lens
In reply to Benjamin Kanarek, 9 months ago

That's not unexpected. Probably all modern lenses are very sharp in the center wide open... Look at the corners and you start seeing the differences.

-- hide signature --
 Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SergioSpain
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?

this isn't exactly what I would call an ideal test shot. It's not even clear what you're testing, the VR or the IQ, or both. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you like it and I hope it's every bit as good as you think it is, but this shot doesn't prove anything to me.

SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +3 more
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?

WOW... Not your sharpness test, but WOW... I went to your website and man, your work is truly beautiful!

-- hide signature --
 Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 907Gear list
Like?

Ben,

I agree.  It's a great lens despite what people say about it.  I think edge sharpness is overrated.  I get a kick out of photographers who complain about edge sharpness, and then add artificial vignetting to their photos for effect.

Like any tool, the 24-120 has a place in many pro shooters camera bags.

p.s. Excellent work on your website.

Al

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
hewhosculpts
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?

I also own it and shoot with it on a D800. I consider it a good lens but I'm not going to rave about it because frankly I own other lenses, though not in the 35-70 mm range, that are better.

hewhosculpts's gear list:hewhosculpts's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
marshim
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
+1 I love mine (nt)
-- hide signature --

MarShim
---------------------------------------------------
It is easier to stay out than get out.

marshim's gear list:marshim's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Tim O'Connor
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,507Gear list
Like?
In reply to hewhosculpts, 9 months ago

hewhosculpts wrote:

I also own it and shoot with it on a D800. I consider it a good lens but I'm not going to rave about it because frankly I own other lenses, though not in the 35-70 mm range, that are better.

thats exactly how I feel.  Its a good, but not great lens.  Good 'all rounder' is how I would describe it.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon D810 +11 more
Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to Jose Rocha, 9 months ago

Jose Rocha wrote:

WOW... Not your sharpness test, but WOW... I went to your website and man, your work is truly beautiful!

-- hide signature --

Thanks José

Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?

+1 on thee Nikon 24-120mm lens. It does it's job, and does it well...

I hope we all have many memorable and great experiences,  with all of our Nikon gear...

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR Telephoto Zoom, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, ME-1, Lexar Professional 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l,
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, (Promo gifts SBH-250, PH-22 Panhead)
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
onlyfairways
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?

Thanks for posting Benjamin - I've been considering this lens for myself. It's great to hear from someone who is clearly very talented. I too love your work. I noticed it first in another thread where you commented on the Nikon 85mm f1.8G that you used for the outstanding Harper's Bazaar layout.

Cheers,

B.

-- hide signature --

B.Taylor

onlyfairways's gear list:onlyfairways's gear list
Nikon D800E
Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to onlyfairways, 9 months ago

onlyfairways wrote:

Thanks for posting Benjamin - I've been considering this lens for myself. It's great to hear from someone who is clearly very talented. I too love your work. I noticed it first in another thread where you commented on the Nikon 85mm f1.8G that you used for the outstanding Harper's Bazaar layout.

Cheers,

B.

-- hide signature --

B.Taylor

Yes the 85 f1.8 G is indeed a stellar lens.

C. Kurt Holter
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?

Over the years I've kind of scoffed at the Nikon short and mid-range zooms other than the AF-S f/2.8 lenses. For the last five or six years, my primary goto lens for many jobs has been the 24-70/f2.8, and my backup for that was the 28-70/f.28. I consider both of these very good lenses despite their size and weight.

It dawned on me that that I really do frequently use the 24-70 at the 24mm end, and I was ready to buy another one to replace the 28-70 backup. The plan was to sell the 28-70, since the resale value on these remains strong.

I shoot a lot of corporate events and a lot if what I'd describe as corporate photojournalism. For the last year or so, I'm living in high ISO land a lot of the time.

On the advice of another photographer friend whose opinion I really trust, and still on a whim, I ordered a 24-120/f4 instead.

I've bought somewhere north of 100 high quality lenses in all my years in this business, but I have never been so happily surprised by the performance and usability of a lens as I have with this one.

I realize that in terms of test specs, on paper this lens supposedly lacks in a few areas. Nearly all of the issues with this lens are corrected by turning on Lens Correction in ACR and/or Lightroom.

But, I am amazed at how good it is wide open, and throughout the focal range.

I've said it before, but I think the 24-120/f4 is a real unsung hero. It's my primary short to mid-range zoom, and my 24-70/f2.8 (which is still a killer lens and I love) is now my backup.

MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,223Gear list
Like?

Just two observations:

1. This lens works as advertised when used by a competent photographer. Can it really be that he has the only good one made by Nikon ever?

2. When said photographer actually has a body of high quality work behind him and some real credibility, the usual forum "experts" who fall over themselves to declare this lens unusable go awfully quiet.

No real surprises on either point there, but noteworthy nonetheless.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

I have just been looking at your portfolios ...... and really I have so much admiration for your work, it's not just creative and technically brilliant but it's unique, carefully considered and your model selection is brilliant.

By then end of it I got sad, because I know as an amateur I will never push out one photo like that.

But, finally I came across the work of a true photographer, thanks for being alive.

Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to VertigonA380, 9 months ago

VertigonA380 wrote:

I have just been looking at your portfolios ...... and really I have so much admiration for your work, it's not just creative and technically brilliant but it's unique, carefully considered and your model selection is brilliant.

By then end of it I got sad, because I know as an amateur I will never push out one photo like that.

But, finally I came across the work of a true photographer, thanks for being alive.

WOW…Thanks so much for your kind words! Really! Don't be hard on yourself. My images wouldn't be what they are without teams of amazing talent I am privileged to work with to make things happen.

Kind Regards and Happy Holidays

Ben

VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

Happy holidays to you too Ben!!

Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to VertigonA380, 9 months ago

VertigonA380 wrote:

Happy holidays to you too Ben!!

Thanks a lot! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Dallas_TX
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?

Yep. I agree with you 100%. I own a shameful number of lenses and hands down the Nikon 24-120mm is my favorite lens. Can you believe that that is also a "kit" lens for some of the bodies?

Anyone who says it's not an exceptional lens is mistaken.

Op, good post, thanks.

Benjamin Kanarek
Like?
In reply to Dallas_TX, 9 months ago

Dallas_TX wrote:

Yep. I agree with you 100%. I own a shameful number of lenses and hands down the Nikon 24-120mm is my favorite lens. Can you believe that that is also a "kit" lens for some of the bodies?

Anyone who says it's not an exceptional lens is mistaken.

Op, good post, thanks.

Indeed! Highly under rated lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads