Edit dng

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Dervast
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
Edit dng
9 months ago

Hi all,

I can capture with my small sx220hs  dng photos (I applied the chdk patch) but when I open it, it looks really noise and yucky... how I can edit it in Linux and windows?

Regards

Alex

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Edit dng
In reply to Dervast, 9 months ago

Dervast wrote:

Hi all,

I can capture with my small sx220hs dng photos (I applied the chdk patch) but when I open it, it looks really noise and yucky... how I can edit it in Linux and windows?

Regards

Alex

The reason your images look noisy is that with a RAW file, and a DNG file is a RAW file, none of the normal JPG processes have been applied.  Noise reduction, exposure changes, contrast adjustment, and saturation adjustments are some of the commonly applied JPG adjustments.

You need a RAW file editor. The most common ones are Aperture for Macs and for Macs or Windows you have Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop's Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Photoshop Element's Adobe Camera Raw, ACDSee, and Paint Shop Pro. The Adobe Camera Raw add-on for Photoshop is the same as the Develop module of Lightroom while ACR for Elements is a sub set.

With a RAW file editor you will be able to adjust the WB and exposure to suit yourself as well as reduce the noise and make other changes. Once yo learn how to edit RAW files the end result is better than a JPG take at the same time.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,787
Like?
A good reply, BUT. . .
In reply to Sailor Blue, 9 months ago

You only mentioned the commercial products that have to be purchased.  I would suggest that the user also consider the Open Source products as well.  In addition to being legally free, they often have the advantage of offering versions for PCs, Macs, and Linux as well.

Two that I'm particularly impressed with are RawTherapee, and Lightzone 4.  There are other Open Source titles that also have quite a following.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Dervast
Like?
Re: A good reply, BUT. . .
In reply to Glen Barrington, 9 months ago

Hi

thanks for all the ansnwer.

Perhaps I can try later upload a sample here to show you how it really looks like.

The problem is that after using a program commercial or opensource.. how should I work on it?

Any tutorials on how to apply for example noise reduction to remove these numerous of dots appearing over my screen?

Regards

Alex

PhilM oz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
In reply to Dervast, 9 months ago

Dervast wrote:

Hi all,

I can capture with my small sx220hs dng photos (I applied the chdk patch) but when I open it, it looks really noise and yucky... how I can edit it in Linux and windows?

Regards

Alex

Firstly make sure you are looking at noise and not bad pixels.

CHDK changed a while ago to default to DNG version 1.3. This no longer physically fixes bad pixels in the camera; but instead writes a special opcode to the DNG to tell processing software how to fix the bad pixels. Unfortunately only Adobe software recognises this opcode and does the bad pixel fixing - and not all Adobe software does it. If you have a recent version of Lightroom, Elements or Photoshop they should load the image and fix the bad pixels. If you use another program like RawTherapee it probably won't.

You can also try changing the DNG version to 1.1 in the CHDK settings, and then generating the bad pixel file in the camera. CHDK will then fix the bad pixels before saving the DNG file; but it takes a bit longer.

Posting a sample image or a link to a DNG file might help.

Having said that, in my opinion, unless you're willing to invest a lot of time and energy, you may find it hard to get results as good as the built in JPEG engine.

Canon have done a very good job over recent years with their in-camera processing.

In addition to the noise issue, you will also need to contend with lens correction. To cut costs recent cameras (not just Canon) have lenses with quite severe distortion especially at the wide end. The faster processors allow them to do lens correction is software on the JPEG image. Duplicating this lens correction can be quite hard.

I'm one of the CHDK developers and I've looked at a lot of RAW images from many Canon P&S cameras. While I shoot RAW exclusively on my DSLR, I rarely use it on P&S cameras unless the camera has native RAW support (G12, G1X, etc).

Phil.

Dervast
Like?
In reply to PhilM oz, 9 months ago

Hi

I am using latest photoshop and looks like it corrects most of the problems my shots have... I thought there were also files to load in photoshop that were dedicated to my sx220hs

Regards

Alex

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads