Need help deciding between the NEX-6 and NEX-7?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
Need help deciding between the NEX-6 and NEX-7?
10 months ago

Hey there!,

I have a Nikon D7100 that I LOVE but I'm looking to get a secondary, smaller DSLR for when I don;t want to carry that one around with me everywhere. So I'm looking at both the NEX-6 and NEX-7 cameras which both look fantastic. I would absolutely, 100% pull the trigger on the NEX-7 cause of it's Tri-Navi Controls and I love the way it looks, except I hear of some issues regarding lag in the EVF and some compatability/usability issues with some of the other E-Mount lenses. How true is this? and how would compare the NEX-7 to the NEX-6? and which would you recommend buying?

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,067Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help deciding between the NEX-6 and NEX-7?
In reply to Smiller4128, 10 months ago

There are no issues with lagging EVF and no issues with E mount compatibility with the Nex7.

Both 6 and 7 are excellent cameras and both work beautifully. They share the same  EVF too.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryansholl
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?

To me, Tri-Navi and the upgrade in resolution (which usually isn't needed, but when it is it's fantastic) is worth the extra few hundred dollars.  Whether that's worth it to you is of course for you to decide.  Both great little cameras.
Lack of trinavi on the a7r feels like a step backward, to be honest.  I'm still not certain whether I'm more impressed by the a7r or my aging nex7.  Was really hoping the full frame would be a nex7 with a full frame sensor shoehorned in.

Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 10 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

There are no issues with lagging EVF and no issues with E mount compatibility with the Nex7.

Both 6 and 7 are excellent cameras and both work beautifully. They share the same EVF too.

Good to know that there are no issues with EVF lag and it's the same one used in the NEX-6! I think that, plus the tri-navi controls, and the 24mp is going to sway me towards the NEX-7! Thank you!

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

I chose the NEX-6 over the 7 for the better handling of high ISO.  I do about 50/50 daytime vs indoor/nighttime shots, so having that extra clarity helps.  Another option would be to add a Speed Booster to the NEX-7 to regain the image quality, but that's driving the price up pretty high in the end.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

I've had the NEX 7 for nearly 2 years - absolutely the best camera I've ever owned.

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
Carbon111
Contributing MemberPosts: 538Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, 10 months ago

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

I chose the NEX-6 over the 7 for the better handling of high ISO. I do about 50/50 daytime vs indoor/nighttime shots, so having that extra clarity helps. Another option would be to add a Speed Booster to the NEX-7 to regain the image quality, but that's driving the price up pretty high in the end.

I chose the 6 over the 7 as well. The sensor in the NEX-6 is phenomenal!

-- hide signature --
 Carbon111's gear list:Carbon111's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 75mm f/2.5 +10 more
aalbertnyc1
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to djp58, 10 months ago

I will second the NEX-7! The photos seem to come alive with this great little camera!

calxn
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
NEX-7 has lag for the eye sensor to turn it on

It's a split second too long for my taste.  I hear the NEX-6 eye sensor lag is much lower.  There is no lag in the EVF when panning the camera.

There isn't any compatibility issues with E mount lens, however, ultra wide angles can be problematic with color cast.  I have the 10-18/4.  The cast is there, but it's minor.  People who are using manual focus RF lenses are having more of an issue with this, but if you use native lenses, you won't have any issue.

MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 385Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-7 has lag for the eye sensor to turn it on
In reply to calxn, 10 months ago

It's a misconception that the NEX-6 has better high ISO performance. Yes, there's less noise at native resolution, but if you were to take a NEX-7 image and downsample to 16mp you'd get a similar result, according to a test that one of the review sites did.

The only disadvantage of the 7 is that you get magenta cast with certain wide angle lenses, including Sony's own 10-18 zoom. There are wide angles available like the Touit 12 and the Sony 16mm that are magenta free.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
In reply to MrT-Man, 10 months ago

MrT-Man wrote:

It's a misconception that the NEX-6 has better high ISO performance. Yes, there's less noise at native resolution, but if you were to take a NEX-7 image and downsample to 16mp you'd get a similar result, according to a test that one of the review sites did.

The only disadvantage of the 7 is that you get magenta cast with certain wide angle lenses, including Sony's own 10-18 zoom. There are wide angles available like the Touit 12 and the Sony 16mm that are magenta free.

Well, that's the problem. If you're downsampling the image to compete, what good is having 24MP in the first place if you can't use it? Sure, it's good near base ISO, but the difference in noise is already about 1 stop by ISO 1600.

Speaking of magenta, the NEX-7 starts picking up sensor heating color cast earlier than the NEX-6, so even downsampling at high ISO could be problematic.

Also, Adobe has software for you to manually profile lenses for color casts and vignetting, so that isn't much of an issue.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
kaiser soze
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

Hey there!,

I have a Nikon D7100 that I LOVE but I'm looking to get a secondary, smaller DSLR for when I don;t want to carry that one around with me everywhere. So I'm looking at both the NEX-6 and NEX-7 cameras which both look fantastic. I would absolutely, 100% pull the trigger on the NEX-7 cause of it's Tri-Navi Controls and I love the way it looks, except I hear of some issues regarding lag in the EVF and some compatability/usability issues with some of the other E-Mount lenses. How true is this? and how would compare the NEX-7 to the NEX-6? and which would you recommend buying?

This has been discussed so many times on this forum that I suggest you search for the prior discussions and read them. I've been through this and am tired of it. Most of the reason that people say that the NEX-6 is better are bogus or illusory, whereas the greater resolution is a substsntive advantage, as is the tri-navi setup. The only ISO settings where the NEX-6 has an advantage are the settings that are not available in the NEX-7. A substantial advantage of the Tri-navi is that the design of the GUI for certain screens is completely different. This tru for most of the settings modes that you can access via the navigation button. Experience the interface for HDR and DRO, or the one for setting the color balance compensation, and you will see a very obvious difderence between the two. The NEX-7 is the better camera, substantively, but many people do prefer the NEX-6 for reasons that are subjective.

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,769Gear list
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Speaking of magenta, the NEX-7 starts picking up sensor heating color cast earlier than the NEX-6, so even downsampling at high ISO could be problematic.

"Sensor heating" color casts? Where on Earth did you hear that?

Color casting occurs with range finder wide angle lenses where the light hits the edges of the sensor at too steep an angle and stimulates the wrong pixels. It has nothing to do with sensor heating. It's less of an issue on the NEX-6 (and 5N/5R/5T) because the pixels are bigger and can accept more off-axis light.

This can be corrected in post, by the way.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
kaiser soze
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

MrT-Man wrote:

Well, that's the problem. If you're downsampling the image to compete, what good is having 24MP in the first place if you can't use it? Sure, it's good near base ISO, but the difference in noise is already about 1 stop by ISO 1600.

Also, Adobe has software for you to manually profile lenses for color casts and vignetting, so that isn't much of an issue.

This is silly and even asinine in the true sense of the word, although not more so than 80% of the comments that people make this board. It is a matter of "downsampling the image to compete". That't the thing that is risible and asinine. The issue is with using a correct test methodlogy that does not yield false results. This was explored and explaind on this forum a few months go.  The apparent difference in noise that you saw is fully attributable to the greater detail in the NEX-7 image. This is absolutely true. The only way that the comparison is valid is if the amount of image detail is the same for both images, and the only way that can happen is by down-sampling the NEX-7 image to match the inferior NEX-7 image. This notion that the NEX-7 has better high ISO performancd is false and is the result of bogus test methodology. This has been explained before. The only ISO settings where the NEX-6 has better noise performance are the higher settings that the NEX-7 does not allow.

BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
In reply to kaiser soze, 10 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

"Sensor heating" color casts? Where on Earth did you hear that?

Probably from every camera test ever. Go shoot at ISO 25,600 in low light (preferably a with a dark/black background) and tell me what color the black comes out as. Better yet, leave your camera (and sensor) on for 5 min, and take the exact same shot again.

kaiser soze wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

MrT-Man wrote:

This is silly and even asinine in the true sense of the word, although not more so than 80% of the comments that people make this board. It is a matter of "downsampling the image to compete". That't the thing that is risible and asinine. The issue is with using a correct test methodlogy that does not yield false results. This was explored and explaind on this forum a few months go. The apparent difference in noise that you saw is fully attributable to the greater detail in the NEX-7 image. This is absolutely true. The only way that the comparison is valid is if the amount of image detail is the same for both images, and the only way that can happen is by down-sampling the NEX-7 image to match the inferior NEX-7 image. This notion that the NEX-7 has better high ISO performancd is false and is the result of bogus test methodology. This has been explained before. The only ISO settings where the NEX-6 has better noise performance are the higher settings that the NEX-7 does not allow.

Hmm, just going by the comparisons shown on this site's reviews. The difference there is clear as day, even in the downloadable RAWs.

Also, the D7100's 24MP sensor is what you'd really want in a 24MP sensor. True quality at 100%, and no increase in noise over an older 16MP sensor. It actually retains more color detail at higher ISO, too.

MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 385Gear list
Like?

You're missing the point.

If I've got a NEX-7 and I'm shooting at a low ISO, then I have 24mp to play with. And that's great, it means I've got plenty of ability to crop etc.

If I've got a NEX-7 and I'm shooting at high ISO, then I'm not losing anything relative to a NEX-6. I can downsample the image to 16mp and get results that are about the same as the NEX-6 would give me.

Yes, the D7100 has a better sensor. Yes, a high ISO NEX-7 shot at 24mp looks noisy. That's not the point. The point is that the NEX-7 doesn't have a significant noise disadvantage relative to the NEX-6 at high ISO.

Here are some comparison shots that compare the two cameras at high ISO, with the NEX-7 downsampled to match the NEX-6: http://photographylife.com/reviews/sony-nex-7/6

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Craig Gillette
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,733
Like?

There are some differences beyond the sensor and control system.  The 6 uses the "new" Sony hot shoe.  It's a traditional "ISO" hot shoe with a series of connections added to the front edge. The 7 uses the Sony (KM) Maxxum/Alpha hot shoe.  Perhaps a better shoe but less direct compatibility to various hot shoe mounted flash system elements.  Not sure it's an issue except for those who adopted/adapted the KM system and have gear for it.  (Whether there is a link to concerns over 3rd party flash problems?  Don't know.  There are adapters to go either way.)  The 6 might have more usefulness as the new shoe interface system gets developed.

The 6 has a different focus system with added phase detect capabilities.  However, if focus system performance is important in a given situation, the D7100 will smoke them both.  Likewise, the 7 is supposedly built tougher but the D7100 is, again, much tougher.

There are some other differences but I didn't find a simple comparison chart on a quick search.

I got the 6.  It's less expensive and does what I need it to do.  However, my choice was as much for the 6 over the RX100ii for the aps-c sensor and evf, and less as against the 7.  Now I'm finding that I'm getting used to the rear view and the evf is a bit problematic with my glasses, or more so than I'm used to with a dslr.  Note that I just got new glasses and while still progressive bifocals, they are also different than my last glasses so that may be part of it as well.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
easy

either camera can get you great pictures - the differences are so small that only nit pickers would argue about it - - go hold each camera, play with them, find the one that feels the best to you and then  go take pictures.

the quality of your pictures has much more to do with you than it has to do with the camera you choose

Normally I would say JMO at this point, but this is not just my opinion - it is fact - people take great pictures and cameras are just the tools they use

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,480Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryansholl, 10 months ago

ryansholl wrote:

To me, Tri-Navi and the upgrade in resolution (which usually isn't needed, but when it is it's fantastic) is worth the extra few hundred dollars. Whether that's worth it to you is of course for you to decide. Both great little cameras.
Lack of trinavi on the a7r feels like a step backward, to be honest. I'm still not certain whether I'm more impressed by the a7r or my aging nex7. Was really hoping the full frame would be a nex7 with a full frame sensor shoehorned in.

Yes, I think a few of us have been spoiled by the NEX-7 and maybe it was a bit ahead of its time. I would love the A7r, but I have a feeling after the NEX-7, I would be questioning it. I would need to crop more and that's just an issue I have with it probably.

All the best and somewhere down the track I will end up with FF for sure. They do see great for sure.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

The 24mp is when you don't have to downsample, which is most of the time.  And it isn't just a matter of downsampling per se:  let's say you are going to print an 11x14 image from both cameras.  By the very act of printing two images the same size you have in effect downsampled.
If you are predominantly shooting in low light, the 6 is probably better, but for all around shooting I chose the 7, and sold my 5n, which was very close to the 6 sensor.
Michael

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads