Which flash is everyone going to get or use on A7/A7R?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Sush15
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Which flash is everyone going to get or use on A7/A7R?
9 months ago

Is the general consensus that HVL-F20M is good enough for everyday use or are there other brands of flash that people are using?

Thanks in advance!!

Sush15's gear list:Sush15's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
secondclaw
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Re: Which flash is everyone going to get or use on A7/A7R?
In reply to Sush15, 9 months ago

I was planning on buying HVL-F20M but I'm having second thoughts. Primarily:

1 - It has no off-switch. I'm not sure what it means in practical terms, but it still sounds silly.

2 - When folded it seems like it will stick out too much - it would be nice if it could 'hug' the camera when folded.

3 - It can't be rotated in Portrait mode without special flash brackets.

It is however cheap enough that I may get it anyway, as I can't see any other small alternatives.

secondclaw's gear list:secondclaw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sush15
Like?
In reply to secondclaw, 9 months ago

I was not aware of that limitation for portrait mode, so thank you!

I agree with the rest, I am also concerned as to how bulky it could be even when folded and not sure I like not having an off switch.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?

secondclaw wrote:

1 - It has no off-switch. I'm not sure what it means in practical terms, but it still sounds silly.

actually it turns off when you fold it - that is the on off switch

2 - When folded it seems like it will stick out too much - it would be nice if it could 'hug' the camera when folded.

I use one on my nex-7 and it lays pretty flat when folded - certainty more compact than any other flash would be

now this is a real issue, but for me the small size makes up for it

It is however cheap enough that I may get it anyway, as I can't see any other small alternatives.

I got mine last year when sears put them on sale for $75 - - how can you go wrong ?

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Sush15
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, 9 months ago

That's a really great price!, its pretty much $149 everywhere now

edwardaneal wrote:

secondclaw wrote:

I use one on my nex-7 and it lays pretty flat when folded - certainty more compact than any other flash would be

I got mine last year when sears put them on sale for $75 - - how can you go wrong ?

secondclaw
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?

Hah - for 75 I'd buy it right now ...

Don't get me wrong, the flaws I listed are possibly offset by small size, but I wanted to look around for any other options before buying one. And it can be bought from Amazon warehouse deals for 136 or so .

edwardaneal wrote:

secondclaw's gear list:secondclaw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +7 more
icycool123
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?

I have both the hvl-20m and hvl-60

Pat Whittingham
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?

The A7/A7R is deserving of better than the model 20 if your only flash. I have the HVL20AM with adaptor, HVL-F43M and HVL-60. The 20 is a good trigger however for wireless flash with an outboard 43/60

I feel the 43M is a good choice for a number of reasons including portrait orientation, LED light for video and adequate illumination for group shots. If you can find an HVL-F43AM at a bargain price, this is also excellent. The 58/60 are too large for my use on the A7/7R but I use the 60 on an A99 where it is well matched.

Pat Whittingham's gear list:Pat Whittingham's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +17 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,149
Like?

edwardaneal wrote:

secondclaw wrote:

Agree with everything said plus it has a switch for bounce or forward flash. Also on the side there's a switch for whether your using a wide angle lens or a long focal length (tele)

Got mine from Amazon marketplace for $130.

-- hide signature --

Dave

MIRANDA1
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?

Using a HVL-F20M, just the right size for family type stuff.

-- hide signature --
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pat Whittingham, 9 months ago

Is the HVL-F43AM even compatible with the multi interface shoe on the A7R?  I haven't had much luck figuring out which flash goes with the new A7/A7R.

I feel the 43M is a good choice for a number of reasons including portrait orientation, LED light for video and adequate illumination for group shots. If you can find an HVL-F43AM at a bargain price, this is also excellent. The 58/60 are too large for my use on the A7/7R but I use the 60 on an A99 where it is well matched.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
TriniArt2
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?

Same as I used on my nex-6.  No TTL

Metz 58-AF-1

Yongnuo YN-460

Calumet(Godox) 400

I use the Metz on camera in A mode...set the flash to desired f stop then match with camera and shoot away. The flash provides variable output to keep desired f stop at most distances. No TTL or the like. Can also switch to pure manual mode and use the Yongnuo or Calumet.

Still waiting for third parties to offer sync/high speed triggers and flashes for the new sony multi shoe.

TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
yangmesh
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulR, 9 months ago

PaulR wrote:

Is the HVL-F43AM even compatible with the multi interface shoe on the A7R? I haven't had much luck figuring out which flash goes with the new A7/A7R.

Yes, I am currently using A7+F43AM combo with Sony AD2MAA Adapter, everything works including TTL functions. A7 automatically detect flash once attached. got my F43AM for $189.

yangmesh's gear list:yangmesh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8
yangmesh
Like?
In reply to yangmesh, 9 months ago

yangmesh wrote:

PaulR wrote:

Is the HVL-F43AM even compatible with the multi interface shoe on the A7R? I haven't had much luck figuring out which flash goes with the new A7/A7R.

Yes, I am currently using A7+F43AM combo with Sony AD2MAA Adapter, everything works including TTL functions. A7 automatically detect flash once attached. got my F43AM for $189.

One thing particular need to address is A7/r doesn't fit well with heavy flash unit, the flash shake a bit no matter how hard you tighten the knot, maybe its just me.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to yangmesh, 9 months ago

$189 seems like a very good price.  Where did you find that?

yangmesh wrote:

PaulR wrote:

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
edwardaneal
Like?
did I mention the size?

here is the 20 next to my iPhone 4s

It has flaws, and it isn't the most powerful, but it you want a great small flash to go with  a great small camera - - - please show me something better

seriously - I am a flash nut - I almost always shoot with fill flash when shooting people  in bright sunlight and this little gem is amazing - and when you don't need it, just slip it in a pocket

JMO

Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pat Whittingham, 9 months ago

Pat Whittingham wrote:

The A7/A7R is deserving of better than the model 20 if your only flash. I have the HVL20AM with adaptor, HVL-F43M and HVL-60. The 20 is a good trigger however for wireless flash with an outboard 43/60

I agree, the 20 is simply too underpowered for a main flash. I use the HVL-F43M. Enough power and not too large for the A7, Unlike the 43AM, the 43M has the right hot shoe and fits directly on the A7 without an adaptor.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
edwardaneal
Like?
In reply to Brian Caslis, 9 months ago

Brian Caslis wrote:

Pat Whittingham wrote:

I agree, the 20 is simply too underpowered for a main flash.

depends on your needs - I hate flash at night and as the only light source, but I love flash as an addition to natural light in the day - as such the little 20 makes a great fill flash

If I shot events where my flash were the only light source I would agree 100% the 20 is just not enough, but in reality I really don't think any on camera flash is enough in these situations and I would never use it at an event as my only option -

some people seem to think that flash is only for when it is dark - - I almost always use it when it when the sun is at its brightest

as a photographer, trying to be an artist - the light and how I use it is the most important aspect of what I do - it isn't the camera, it isn't the lens and it really isn't me - - the light and how I see it is what makes it art

here is a shot - with flash in the middle of the day - its just a snap, but without flash it would have sucked

I use the HVL-F43M. Enough power and not too large for the A7, Unlike the 43AM, the 43M has the right hot shoe and fits directly on the A7 without an adaptor.

Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?

edwardaneal wrote:

Brian Caslis wrote:

Pat Whittingham wrote:

I agree, the 20 is simply too underpowered for a main flash.

depends on your needs - I hate flash at night and as the only light source, but I love flash as an addition to natural light in the day - as such the little 20 makes a great fill flash

As you will note I said the 20 was too weak for a main flash. Meaning you are depending on the flash to provide the light. If only serving as a fill, then of course most any flash can work. But indoors I'd much rather use a flash than shoot at ISO 3200.

For some great flash work, check out people like Joe McNally. Fantastic photographer who uses flash for almost everything.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
yangmesh
Like?
In reply to PaulR, 9 months ago

PaulR wrote:

$189 seems like a very good price. Where did you find that?

yangmesh wrote:

PaulR wrote:

Cowboom, the unit i received was almost brand new, comes with box and everything.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads