What type of thread must I use to repair a Balistic Nylon camera strap?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,380
Like?
What type of thread must I use to repair a Balistic Nylon camera strap?
4 months ago

I have a Ballistic nylon camera strap that I need to modify.  To do this I will need to remove one tstrap end connectors.  What type of thread should I use to sew it back together?

sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Re: What type of thread must I use to repair a Balistic Nylon camera strap?
In reply to leicaman, 4 months ago

Never done it myself, but I did a google search. Basically you want waxed thread used for making saddles.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?21746-Working-with-ballistic-nylon-sewing-and-what-not

Good luck

-- hide signature --
 sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,155Gear list
Like?

I would use a synthetic thread that almost looks like woven fishing line.  This type of thread won't rot in the presence of moisture.  If you were careful in removing the original stitching, you could use the same holes to resew the strap.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +21 more
Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578
Like?

I have sewn several nylon back pack type straps together after either shortenting or lengthening them. Waxed thread works okay. Very thick woven nylon works better. You can put a match to the ends when you are done. It melts it slightly & keeps it from unraveling. You can get this stuff at a crafts store. Large sewing stores also sell it. But, you'll need a special large curved needle and tough fingers to do it. But, after doing it numerous times, I have found that it never comes out looking all that professiional (or, straight). Do yourself a favor and take it to a saddle shop (or, a shoe repair shop). Let them sew it. They have a machine for it. It should cost you less than $20. It will be stronger & look better.

-- hide signature --

truview

Richie Beans
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
In reply to Island Golfer, 4 months ago

I sew this kind of stuff all the time for hip belts and accessory straps for outdoor stuff. If you use a UV stabilized nylon button thread, you'll have no problems....even on a sewing machine. Get it at Joanne Fabric or Hancocks.

Never use fishing line or waxed threads. This ain't 1870.

Richie Beans's gear list:Richie Beans's gear list
NEX5R +1 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,194
Like?
In reply to leicaman, 3 months ago

I usually go to a shoe repair shop and have them do the stitching. It is easy and you get well sewn stitching.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads