Does this image have any value?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
Does this image have any value?
8 months ago

It's a photo of people "camping" in a VW bus at Climbers' Bivy on the side of Mount Saint Helens.  Above is the Milky Way.  There are some clouds in the sky, reflecting city light from Portland, OR.

This isn't the best photo from the trip or even from that night.  But it has a nostalgic kind of feeling to it.  I wonder if this could be in an ad, either for a bus, or for some outdoor retailer.  (I also feel like the technical quality of the image probably isn't just quite there.)

I'm asking because I'd like to figure out how to help fund my travel habit with some of my photography.  Have I identified the right target market for this sort of image?  How would I go about trying to sell it?  (Again I'm assuming the photo would have to be a little better for that, but humor me, it's the process I'd like to hear about.)

Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
Re: Does this image have any value?
In reply to Forrest, 8 months ago

Forrest wrote:

It's a photo of people "camping" in a VW bus at Climbers' Bivy on the side of Mount Saint Helens. Above is the Milky Way. There are some clouds in the sky, reflecting city light from Portland, OR.

This isn't the best photo from the trip or even from that night. But it has a nostalgic kind of feeling to it. I wonder if this could be in an ad, either for a bus, or for some outdoor retailer. (I also feel like the technical quality of the image probably isn't just quite there.)

I'm asking because I'd like to figure out how to help fund my travel habit with some of my photography. Have I identified the right target market for this sort of image? How would I go about trying to sell it? (Again I'm assuming the photo would have to be a little better for that, but humor me, it's the process I'd like to hear about.)

Hi

First of all, the quality.  We can't tell how technically good it is due to the small file size.  However, if you're not happy with it, I suspect it's not good enough.  Advertisers, calendar companies etc. generally require top quality & there are many millions of high quality images available to them.  That said, if the image is unique, lower quality can often be accepted.

To give you an idea of what you're up against, check out alamy.com, do a search for the type of images you like to take, count the number of results & check out the competition.  If you decide to go down this route, don't expect massive returns.  It used to be possible to average $1 per image per year.  Nowadays, it's much more difficult to make a sale & the prices are generally much lower than say 10 years ago.

I make more from my own website than I do from selling photos through image libraries.  Sad but true.  Then again, it certainly does you no harm to try & it will help your photography improve no end, simply because you'll be trying to produce work with value to others.

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
Everything to do with the art of photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?
Re: Does this image have any value?
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, 8 months ago

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

Forrest wrote:

It's a photo of people "camping" in a VW bus at Climbers' Bivy on the side of Mount Saint Helens. Above is the Milky Way. There are some clouds in the sky, reflecting city light from Portland, OR.

This isn't the best photo from the trip or even from that night. But it has a nostalgic kind of feeling to it. I wonder if this could be in an ad, either for a bus, or for some outdoor retailer. (I also feel like the technical quality of the image probably isn't just quite there.)

I'm asking because I'd like to figure out how to help fund my travel habit with some of my photography. Have I identified the right target market for this sort of image? How would I go about trying to sell it? (Again I'm assuming the photo would have to be a little better for that, but humor me, it's the process I'd like to hear about.)

Hi

First of all, the quality. We can't tell how technically good it is due to the small file size. However, if you're not happy with it, I suspect it's not good enough. Advertisers, calendar companies etc. generally require top quality & there are many millions of high quality images available to them. That said, if the image is unique, lower quality can often be accepted.

To give you an idea of what you're up against, check out alamy.com, do a search for the type of images you like to take, count the number of results & check out the competition. If you decide to go down this route, don't expect massive returns. It used to be possible to average $1 per image per year. Nowadays, it's much more difficult to make a sale & the prices are generally much lower than say 10 years ago.

I make more from my own website than I do from selling photos through image libraries. Sad but true. Then again, it certainly does you no harm to try & it will help your photography improve no end, simply because you'll be trying to produce work with value to others.

I think Nigel is generally correct. What I would do is contact companies who you think would benefit from using the image in their marketing campaign and pitch it. It's definitely an uphill battle but the direct route might work best. Be prepared to contact many different potential buyers. It's helpful to know if they do their marketing in-house or they use an ad agency. The bigger companies would probably commission a photographer to do their own shot, but mid-size or smaller companies may be tempted if the image fits their brand.

Perhaps another angle if you want to make $ from your travel photos is write a story to accompany the photos and submit to travel/lifestyle publications. Never done that so don't know the details but that might an option.

At the end of the day you may decide it's not worth the effort to try to sell your images. Just enjoy your trips and share you images informally.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads