Olympus 14-150 or Panasonic 14-140

Started Dec 13, 2013 | Questions
alexkc
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Olympus 14-150 or Panasonic 14-140
Dec 13, 2013

Hi,

I have an Olympus 14-150 lens used with my E-pl3 and I have to say it performs pretty well for a tele photo, but I wanted a camera with better grip for such a lens which is rather big for the E-PL3.

So I recently bought a Panasonic G6 with the latest 14-140 lens on promotion. I thought I could sell my Olympus lens and keep the Panasonic given the in build stabilization. I have also read reviews that it is slightly sharper lens than the Olympus lens ,but in none scientific testing I have done it seems to me that the Olympus is sharper. Anyone else with the same observation?

So now I am a bit stuck and wonder if I should sell the Panasonic instead which leaves the G6 without a stabilized lens. I also noticed that the Panasonic lens makes a click noise when moved around even if not on the camera, compared to the Olympus it is much louder. I wonder if there is a problem with the Panasonic Lens?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

alexkc's gear list:alexkc's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Russ Houston
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,370Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 14-150 or Panasonic 14-140
In reply to alexkc, Dec 13, 2013

Like you, I find the 14-150 to be a nice overall lens and I'm surprised with some of the results I get.  I've never used the 14-140, but if you're putting it on a Panasonic body, I'd definitely keep the 14-140 even at the expense of a little IQ since it's stabilized.  For a long zoom like that, you'll need it.

-- hide signature --
 Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fraserhadden
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?

I think that you have highlighted the problem with a mixed Olympus/Panasonic economy.

I would decide which body will be used predominantly, and match the chosen lens to that. Obviously, if a change of body is in imminent prospect, you match to the intended body.

I think that there isn't much difference between the lenses in standard use.

Fraser

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,082
Like?

alexkc wrote:

So I recently bought a Panasonic G6 with the latest 14-140 lens on promotion. I thought I could sell my Olympus lens and keep the Panasonic given the in build stabilization. I have also read reviews that it is slightly sharper lens than the Olympus lens ,but in none scientific testing I have done it seems to me that the Olympus is sharper. Anyone else with the same observation?

See these reviews of the 2 lenses:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-14-150mm-f-4-5-6-lens-review-22983

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-f-3-5-5-6-lens-review-22632

The reviewer finds that testing his copies of each lens that the Olympus is sharper.

If you have a Panasonic body without IBIS though it would probably be more useful to have the Panasonic lens with ILIS.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,708
Like?

To me this is a classic case of why ask us or refer to reviews.   You have both lenses which one do YOU like the best, keep it.

-- hide signature --
saudidave
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Dec 13, 2013

My G6 / Mk2 14 -140 combo is razor shap. End of .

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Robiro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,772
Like?
Two things to try

alexkc wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Two things to try:

Turn off OIS on your Pana 14-140 II. At slower shutter speeds it causes certain blurring due to G6's shutter shock affecting the OIS assembly and causing it to vibrate. (I found it to be the case with my GH2 and 14-140 II.)

Turn on electronic shutter option on your G6 whenever Pana 14-140 II is mounted.

Both of the two things should lead to better results.

Your Oly 14-150 seems sharper to you because it has no OIS unit inside to blur the images because of shutter shock. Once you turn off OIS on your 14-140 you should see that it is little bit sharper than 14-150, but not by much.

In any case, use electronic shutter as much as possible on your G6, unless you are taking a picture of a fast moving scene where using electronic shutter would lead to all kinds of undesirable effects.

ijm5012
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
Re: Two things to try
In reply to Robiro, Dec 13, 2013

In regards to the lens noise you mentioned in your OP, that is perfectly normal. Since the lens is stabilized, one of the elements is free to move (this is what stabilizes the lens), and when the power to the camera is 'off', that sounds you hear is the free-floating element moving within the lens. You'll notice that once you turn the camera on (even with Power O.I.S turned off), you won't notice this noise.

That brings me to my next point. The Power O.I.S does indeed make a noise when on (if you stick your ear next to the lens, you'll hear a sort of 'groaning' or 'digital noise' sound). I emailed Panasonic about this, and they told me that there is nothing wrong with my lens, and that it is perfectly normal.

I too have a G6/14-140 II combo (along with a Pany 20 1.7 II), and love the combination. Sure, it's a bit slow for indoor lighting at this time of the year without a flash, but it works wonderfully outdoors in adequate light (what I bought the lens for). If you need some more light indoors, I recommend buying and external flash (cheap option) or a faster lens like the 12-35 or 35-100 (more expensive). Either way, the G6 is a fantastic camera and I am very pleased with the results I am able to obtain, especially after purchasing Lightroom and doing a bit of playing with the raw files.

ijm5012's gear list:ijm5012's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
alexkc
Like?
In reply to Russ Houston, Dec 14, 2013

Russ Houston wrote:

Like you, I find the 14-150 to be a nice overall lens and I'm surprised with some of the results I get. I've never used the 14-140, but if you're putting it on a Panasonic body, I'd definitely keep the 14-140 even at the expense of a little IQ since it's stabilized. For a long zoom like that, you'll need it.

-- hide signature --

Indeed it makes sense to keep the 14-140 with the G6, I guess I will do  a bit more shooting with this combination before makings a final decision. Thanks for replying.

Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
alexkc
Like?
In reply to fraserhadden, Dec 14, 2013

fraserhadden wrote:

I think that you have highlighted the problem with a mixed Olympus/Panasonic economy.

I would decide which body will be used predominantly, and match the chosen lens to that. Obviously, if a change of body is in imminent prospect, you match to the intended body.

I think that there isn't much difference between the lenses in standard use.

Fraser

Thanks for the answer, I would stay with all an Olympus set up if they offered a G6 body with similar pricing but unfortunately they are not.

alexkc
Like?
In reply to Henry Richardson, Dec 14, 2013

Henry Richardson wrote:

alexkc wrote:

See these reviews of the 2 lenses:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-14-150mm-f-4-5-6-lens-review-22983

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-f-3-5-5-6-lens-review-22632

The reviewer finds that testing his copies of each lens that the Olympus is sharper.

If you have a Panasonic body without IBIS though it would probably be more useful to have the Panasonic lens with ILIS.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Thanks,I came across this review just after I posted the question here and it seems to agree with my findings. Indeed the G6 without a stabilized lens would cause more issues than a slightly less sharp lens.

alexkc
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Dec 14, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

To me this is a classic case of why ask us or refer to reviews. You have both lenses which one do YOU like the best, keep it.

-- hide signature --

Thanks, I think the issue here is not just which is the best lens but how it would combine with the camera body (G6 in this case) and whether it worths the trade off.

alexkc
Like?
In reply to Robiro, Dec 14, 2013

Robiro wrote:

alexkc wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Two things to try:

Turn off OIS on your Pana 14-140 II. At slower shutter speeds it causes certain blurring due to G6's shutter shock affecting the OIS assembly and causing it to vibrate. (I found it to be the case with my GH2 and 14-140 II.)

Turn on electronic shutter option on your G6 whenever Pana 14-140 II is mounted.

Your Oly 14-150 seems sharper to you because it has no OIS unit inside to blur the images because of shutter shock. Once you turn off OIS on your 14-140 you should see that it is little bit sharper than 14-150, but not by much.

In any case, use electronic shutter as much as possible on your G6, unless you are taking a picture of a fast moving scene where using electronic shutter would lead to all kinds of undesirable effects.

Thank you, interesting suggestions.I did not know that the Pana OIS could cause blurring in slow shutter speeds , although I've heard of OLYMPUS OIS having this issue in certain speeds.I will try both suggestions.

alexkc
Like?
In reply to ijm5012, Dec 14, 2013

ijm5012 wrote:

In regards to the lens noise you mentioned in your OP, that is perfectly normal. Since the lens is stabilized, one of the elements is free to move (this is what stabilizes the lens), and when the power to the camera is 'off', that sounds you hear is the free-floating element moving within the lens. You'll notice that once you turn the camera on (even with Power O.I.S turned off), you won't notice this noise.

That brings me to my next point. The Power O.I.S does indeed make a noise when on (if you stick your ear next to the lens, you'll hear a sort of 'groaning' or 'digital noise' sound). I emailed Panasonic about this, and they told me that there is nothing wrong with my lens, and that it is perfectly normal.

I too have a G6/14-140 II combo (along with a Pany 20 1.7 II), and love the combination. Sure, it's a bit slow for indoor lighting at this time of the year without a flash, but it works wonderfully outdoors in adequate light (what I bought the lens for). If you need some more light indoors, I recommend buying and external flash (cheap option) or a faster lens like the 12-35 or 35-100 (more expensive). Either way, the G6 is a fantastic camera and I am very pleased with the results I am able to obtain, especially after purchasing Lightroom and doing a bit of playing with the raw files.

Thanks, it is nice to know there is nothing wrong with the 14-140 lens. Previously I have used the Olympus 14-150 with the Panasonic g5 and in good light I did get very good results, a bit disappointing it to see the 14-140 being a bit softer but I guess it will be the better combination in more tricky conditions.I've read the reviews of the Pany 20 and it looks an excellent lens but apparently quite slow focusing on Olympus bodies, and EPL3 was my main camera until recently, price was an issue too, so i got the Sigma 19mm which is very sharp and a lot cheaper , one stop slower though... Have not had the chance to play  extensively with the G6 but noticed that already  the viewfinder looks better than the G5's (Which I've got on sale now), hope JPEGS are better too as G5 can not much my EPL3 for color so I am shooting RAW too. Life is full of compromises , i guess...

Robiro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,772
Like?
In reply to alexkc, Dec 14, 2013

alexkc wrote:

Robiro wrote:

alexkc wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Two things to try:

Thank you, interesting suggestions.I did not know that the Pana OIS could cause blurring in slow shutter speeds , although I've heard of OLYMPUS OIS having this issue in certain speeds.I will try both suggestions.

I never had any shutter shock issues with my 12-35, 35-100 or 100-300mm lens. The whole thing emerged with 14-140mm II, which lens is especially prone to it, because it has a tiny OIS assembly, a result of ever growing need for fast focusing speed. They made the OIS unit such a small thing in 14-140 II that it now rattles in sync with the shutter at below 1/320s.

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to alexkc, Dec 15, 2013

Definitely the 14-150 if you own and Oly body, if not then the OIS on the 14-140 is the way to go...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

alexkc
Like?
In reply to Robiro, Dec 16, 2013

Robiro wrote:

alexkc wrote:

Robiro wrote:

alexkc wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Two things to try:

I never had any shutter shock issues with my 12-35, 35-100 or 100-300mm lens. The whole thing emerged with 14-140mm II, which lens is especially prone to it, because it has a tiny OIS assembly, a result of ever growing need for fast focusing speed. They made the OIS unit such a small thing in 14-140 II that it now rattles in sync with the shutter at below 1/320s.

This is really worrying, a brand new lens should surely be better than the older model....I thought Panasonic was solid in the OIS department but looks like not anymore.

alexkc
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Dec 16, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Definitely the 14-150 if you own and Oly body, if not then the OIS on the 14-140 is the way to go...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Problem is i got both an EPL3 and a G6, so Oly lens sharper but G6 much better in handling , functionality and low light image quality comparing to the EPL3 , while 14-140 slightly less sharp but best combination for G6. Decisions, decisions....

Henry Richardson
Like?
In reply to alexkc, Dec 16, 2013

alexkc wrote:

I've read the reviews of the Pany 20 and it looks an excellent lens but apparently quite slow focusing on Olympus bodies, and EPL3 was my main camera until recently, price was an issue too, so i got the Sigma 19mm which is very sharp and a lot cheaper , one stop slower though...

This isn't important, but f2.8 is 1.5 stops slower than f1.7.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Henry Richardson
Like?
In reply to alexkc, Dec 16, 2013

alexkc wrote:

Problem is i got both an EPL3 and a G6, so Oly lens sharper but G6 much better in handling , functionality and low light image quality comparing to the EPL3 , while 14-140 slightly less sharp but best combination for G6. Decisions, decisions....

The G6 looks quite nice and it has been selling for some good prices lately.  I know this isn't something you want to do, but the E-M5 also has an EVF and has excellent IBIS.  The price is down a bit now compared to before.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads