Need UV filter selection help

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Dora Webb
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Need UV filter selection help
7 months ago

I've recently purchased the SX50.  I am a newby to this forum and would like some advise on UV filters for protection.  I'm looking on Amazon at 67 mm B+W Pro  UV filters Multi-coated Nano, and find there are a few that have (010M) and another one has  (007M).  Does this mean the density of the coatings, and wold therefor reduce the amount of light entering the lens?  Does he 010 mean less light could enter versus 007?  I'm really clueless on this!

I would appreciate any help someone could offer to help me in making a decision.  I've beening reading the questions and responses on some topics and would like to say all of you have been so helpful to others.  This is a great web site for information and help.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,426Gear list
Like?
Re: Need UV filter selection help
In reply to Dora Webb, 7 months ago

In the film days UV filters made sense but today's digital cameras are unaffected by UV light. Not really sure what the 010M or 007M designate but if you want a filter for protection consider a quality clear filter that's coated. I'd recommend the B+W MRC as seen in the attached link......

67mm B+W MRC Clear filter

If you're in the US here's a good site for reference and comparisons. You might want to give them a call.........2filter

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?

I know others have said you can't use a 58mm filter on the SX50 but for me the best solution for me (and it works very well) was to get the Lensmate 58mm adapter and use a 58mm circular polarizing filter and/or lens hood. Their link is here: http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sx20sx10sx1.php

I normally don't have a filter on my SX50 just a lens hood.  I put the CPL filter on as needed.  Of course I am not shooting on the beach or in other dirty locations normally.  The 58mm filter does not darken the corners of the image even when wide open.  Sometimes the lens hood will but I just take care of that in post processing.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Hauer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?

Here's an extract re both filter types that is meniond on the Schneider Optics website...

The UV (010) filter blocks intrusive UV radiation which can cause a lack of sharpness. Contrast is heightened, and unpleasant fog is avoided. The UV filter is used with color-reversal (slides) and black and white / color negative films, and in digital photography. In order to avoid a blue cast or to achieve a warmer image, the Skylight filter can be used. Available in single coated or multi-coated (MRC).

The Clear (007M) filter fulfils the desire of many photographers for pure lens protection without a filter effect. Its only function is to keep dirt, sand, or splashes, away from the front lens element. The clear, optical quality Schott glass has high transmission properties and is MRC-finished.

Unquote

Though the SX50 HS actually belongs to my wife, I decided to additionally purchase the adapter and B+W 67mm XS-Pro UV MRC-Nano 010 Filter on her behalf.

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers - Herman

Hauer's gear list:Hauer's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
Dora Webb
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, 7 months ago

Hello Hank, thank you for your rersponse.  Yes, I live in the US, I'm in Edmond, OK.  I enjoy bird watching, and am an amature photographer.  I bought the SX because of the zoom capabilities and lightweight.  I've used a Nikon D200, but now find it too heavy for me.  I'm hoping to learn to use this little gem for bird photography, but right now find it frustrating.  I'm used to the spot focusing on the Nikon.  With your help and the other responses, I will definitely be able to come to a decision.

I plan on reading a lot more of the questions and answers pertaining to the SX50.  This is a great help in learning about the camera.

Thanks again, Dora

Dora Webb
Like?
In reply to Hauer, 7 months ago

Hello Hauer, thank you for your reply about the filters.  Have you noticed any difference in the photos taken with the UV filter on the SX50?  I have a Hoya Pro Digital 72 mm MC UV (0) on my Nikon D200.
I've always thought my photos had a gray cast.  But think it is important to have the protection.  Clear or UV......I'm still debating with myself!

Thanks, Dora

Dora Webb
Like?
In reply to MurryG, 7 months ago

Hello Murry,

Thanks for responding to my filter question.  Do you not have vignetting using the smaller size?  My SX50 user guide recommends the 67mm.  I sure don't want to create more problems than I need to deal with.

Thanks to you and others who have responded.  This is a great forum for help and inspiration and look forward to more opportunities to learn from others.

Dora

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,364
Like?
What do you need protection from?

Dora Webb wrote:

I've recently purchased the SX50. I am a newby to this forum and would like some advise on UV filters for protection. I'm looking on Amazon at 67 mm B+W Pro UV filters Multi-coated Nano, and find there are a few that have (010M) and another one has (007M). Does this mean the density of the coatings, and wold therefor reduce the amount of light entering the lens? Does he 010 mean less light could enter versus 007? I'm really clueless on this!

I would appreciate any help someone could offer to help me in making a decision. I've beening reading the questions and responses on some topics and would like to say all of you have been so helpful to others. This is a great web site for information and help.

I'd advise getting & using the lens hood instead.  Fitting just the UV filter will increase your chances of lens flare. Unless you shoot in really terrible conditions, the UV filter really isn't doing much else.

Mark

Resa Anasto
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Re: What do you need protection from?
In reply to Mark B., 1 week ago

Mark B. wrote:

Dora Webb wrote:

I've recently purchased the SX50. I am a newby to this forum and would like some advise on UV filters for protection. I'm looking on Amazon at 67 mm B+W Pro UV filters Multi-coated Nano, and find there are a few that have (010M) and another one has (007M). Does this mean the density of the coatings, and wold therefor reduce the amount of light entering the lens? Does he 010 mean less light could enter versus 007? I'm really clueless on this!

I would appreciate any help someone could offer to help me in making a decision. I've beening reading the questions and responses on some topics and would like to say all of you have been so helpful to others. This is a great web site for information and help.

I'd advise getting & using the lens hood instead. Fitting just the UV filter will increase your chances of lens flare. Unless you shoot in really terrible conditions, the UV filter really isn't doing much else.

Mark

Hello Mark,

I have a question, can we put a hood and a filter together in SX50 HS?

I have CPL filter (Marumi) 67 mm and still confusing how to attach a hood.

Have you any idea please?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Resa Anasto

Resa Anasto's gear list:Resa Anasto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,426Gear list
Like?
In reply to Resa Anasto, 1 week ago

Resa Anasto wrote:

Not a Canon hood.....it would have to be a 3rd party threaded hood that would attach to the filter threads. The attached link refers to a suggested hood in the FAQ section but it is for the 58mm adapter.......

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sx20sx10sx1.php

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Resa Anasto
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, 1 week ago

Hank3152 wrote:

Resa Anasto wrote:

Not a Canon hood.....it would have to be a 3rd party threaded hood that would attach to the filter threads. The attached link refers to a suggested hood in the FAQ section but it is for the 58mm adapter.......

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sx20sx10sx1.php

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Hank

Ah you're right Hank.

My Marumi CPL filter is 67 mm (once I tried the 58 mm and there was a vignette). I will try the 67 mm for hood and find Hakuba.

Hopes that this gear can be fit with mine.

Thanks a lot Hank.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Resa Anasto

Resa Anasto's gear list:Resa Anasto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads