Canon S120 vs G15

Started Dec 13, 2013 | Discussions
CMartin348
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon S120 vs G15
Dec 13, 2013

I currently have a Canon S100, which was great for the first few months and then dust or dirt got into the lens and I started to get a blur on all shots that were zoomed in. Night shots ended up with light spots all over the place. I've done a lot of reading on these two cameras, but I wanted to ask questions.

I'm taking a trip to Europe in two weeks and am looking to replace my S100. These are the biggest things I'm looking for:

- I want to be able to take good night shots. I'll be in Paris for New Years Eve... lots of great architecture and I'd love to be able to capture it at night.

- Low light shots... churches, etc.

- I want a camera that is durable and easily portable, hence looking at these two models.

- Under $400 new.

I don't care at all about having Wi-Fi and I tend not to take videos, so that's pretty irrelevant too. I'm focusing mainly on image quality, low light situations, and portability.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Casey

Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S120
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,682Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon S120 vs G15
In reply to CMartin348, Dec 13, 2013

Even though both cameras have the same sensor, the G15 has the faster lens at f1.8-f2.8, which gives it an advantage for low light shots.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?

The G15 (which I own) will do better in low light. If you want a wider field of view, the Panasonic LX7 will get you 24mm at f/1.4 and f/2.3 at 90mm (it's longest zoom). And the cost has dropped to about $308. at the big online retailers.

CMartin348
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Dec 13, 2013

Are there any major downsides to the G15 in your eyes, having owned one? I'll check out the panasonic. Thanks!

crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?

Are there any major downsides to the G15 in your eyes, having owned one? I'll check out the panasonic. Thanks!

I don't like its ergonomics compared against bigger cameras, but it definitely delivers what it should... Maybe IMiss some strong and saturated handheld HDR mode.
--
Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
PaulRivers
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,414
Like?

CMartin348 wrote:

It's size is the main difference between it and the s120. The s120 is "about the largest you can comfortably carry in a jeans pocket all day". The g15 is more "can be crammed into a jeans pocket, but it's always rather awkward".

If size isn't a problem - I'm not the other poster - but the s120 doesn't have any advantages over the g15. It's main advantage is it's size.

Also, fyi, there are other cameras the same size as the g15 with better low light capabilities - Panasonic lx7 (f1.4 lens), Sony rx100 (f1.8 lens, but noteably larger sensor, best for it's size) - or more zoom while otherwise being the same (Nikon p7700).

crashpc
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, Dec 13, 2013

PaulRivers wrote:

CMartin348 wrote:

It's size is the main difference between it and the s120. The s120 is "about the largest you can comfortably carry in a jeans pocket all day". The g15 is more "can be crammed into a jeans pocket, but it's always rather awkward".

If size isn't a problem - I'm not the other poster - but the s120 doesn't have any advantages over the g15. It's main advantage is it's size.

Also, fyi, there are other cameras the same size as the g15 with better low light capabilities - Panasonic lx7 (f1.4 lens), Sony rx100 (f1.8 lens, but noteably larger sensor, best for it's size) - or more zoom while otherwise being the same (Nikon p7700).

Depends on which focal lenghts you use. Canon goes to 140mm with f/2,8. How about RX100...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

Teppo Hytönen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066Gear list
Like?
In reply to crashpc, Dec 14, 2013

For S120 and G15 it's basically size in favor of S120, and better external controls and better low-light shooting due to faster lens in favor of G15. G15 is more versatile with accessories as well, but when you want to travel light, that's of course not that much of a consideration.

The RX100 indeed has a slower lens than G15. But thanks to the extra resolution and sensor size, you can use roughly one stop higher ISO with the RX100 and keep the level of detail. That partially offsets the 1,5 stops of lens advantage the G15 has. Indeed worth noting though that RX100 ends at 100mm while G15 goes to 140mm, so to get equal field of view means you'd have to crop with the RX100, meaning if you crank up the ISO you'll lose in terms of detail. Yet of course at the wide end the RX100 wins due to the large sensor and almost equally fast lens. Also costs more, though.

For what it's worth, I went with the G15. The RX100 would probably have been nice and might've picked it, but effectively it would've been about 150 euros more expensive, which I found a bit too much at this time. I'd say that all of them are pretty good cameras, though - however personally I'd go with S110 over S120 for the same reason as one would go with G15 rather than G16... big price difference for not that much benefit.

-- hide signature --

Teppo @ Finland

Teppo Hytönen's gear list:Teppo Hytönen's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +1 more
Jennyhappy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,530Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon S120 vs S110
In reply to Teppo Hytönen, Dec 14, 2013

One key difference in the S110 to the S120 is the S120 has DIGIC6 which has increased overall performance resulting in a faster focus.  Also the S120 starts at 24mm while the G15/G16 starts at 28mm.

Teppo Hytönen wrote:

For S120 and G15 it's basically size in favor of S120, and better external controls and better low-light shooting due to faster lens in favor of G15. G15 is more versatile with accessories as well, but when you want to travel light, that's of course not that much of a consideration.

The RX100 indeed has a slower lens than G15. But thanks to the extra resolution and sensor size, you can use roughly one stop higher ISO with the RX100 and keep the level of detail. That partially offsets the 1,5 stops of lens advantage the G15 has. Indeed worth noting though that RX100 ends at 100mm while G15 goes to 140mm, so to get equal field of view means you'd have to crop with the RX100, meaning if you crank up the ISO you'll lose in terms of detail. Yet of course at the wide end the RX100 wins due to the large sensor and almost equally fast lens. Also costs more, though.

For what it's worth, I went with the G15. The RX100 would probably have been nice and might've picked it, but effectively it would've been about 150 euros more expensive, which I found a bit too much at this time. I'd say that all of them are pretty good cameras, though - however personally I'd go with S110 over S120 for the same reason as one would go with G15 rather than G16... big price difference for not that much benefit.

-- hide signature --

Teppo @ Finland

Jennyhappy2's gear list:Jennyhappy2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
crashpc
Like?
In reply to Teppo Hytönen, Dec 14, 2013

Teppo Hytönen wrote:

-- hide signature --

Teppo @ Finland

Heh I like how you wrote that (more expensive) RX100 somehow keeps up with G15. That´s enaugh for me, but that was not my point. My point is that it really needs to know, what one does need to do with it. One time, G15 will win, second time, it will be RX100 or even different camera. It needs thinking to choose the right one. That´s why there is no just one cam in that size or price range.

While I see that RX100 is better wide, I see that G15 still holds sufficient IQ and results when wide open (enaugh for me). But I need something more on tele. That way I need G15 more that RX100. http://www.picfront.org/d/93l2

Another person would need it opposite way, And that way of comparison, G15 will be killed easily. It all depends...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc
Like?

Hm, content inside that link just disappeared... http://www.picfront.org/d/93nA

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 15,120Gear list
Like?

crashpc wrote:

Presumably the Canon (or equivalent) Adaptor Tube with a tele lens on it..Looks good..what make tele lens ?

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

crashpc
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Dec 14, 2013

ericN2 wrote:

crashpc wrote:

Presumably the Canon (or equivalent) Adaptor Tube with a tele lens on it..Looks good..what make tele lens ?

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Many choices. For me, I got SONY VCL-DH1758 for free

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads