SOLVED: Importing images from CF cards into iPad

Started Dec 13, 2013 | Discussions
Boomanbb
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?
SOLVED: Importing images from CF cards into iPad
Dec 13, 2013

Hello,

I bought an iPad Air to use as a portable image viewer and lightweight editor thinking I could use one of the rare Lightning to CF reader dongles. Turns out that the only company I trusted to buy from stopped selling the device. Turns out, it is easy to read any kind of memory card. You just need enough power to do it.

You will need a powered USB hub, the USB Camera Connection kit and of course your card reader. The picture should say it all. Here it is, the iPad reading images from one of the most power hungry CF cards made, the 1GB Microdrive!

Check back later when I finish my battery powered version of this project.

Ben

-- hide signature --

Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +10 more
John Russell NZ
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Re: SOLVED: Importing images from CF cards into iPad
In reply to Boomanbb, Dec 14, 2013

Hi, that looks fairly complicated!. I have just bought a apple lightening sd card camera connector for iPad 4, but it doesn't recognise my sony memory stick. Any suggestions?. Thanks, John.

John Russell NZ's gear list:John Russell NZ's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291
Like?
In reply to John Russell NZ, Dec 14, 2013

The Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adaptor only works with supported cameras.

The Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader only works with SD cards.

Third party hardware, software hacks, etc. are unsupported. The simple answer is some of them may work some of the time, none will work all of the time. Any of them could possibly damage your device or void your warranty. If you’re a tinkerer, tinker away, but $50 to $100 later, you may have nothing that works.

For your requirements I’d look to a wireless solution like a Kingston Mobilelite wireless hub. It will accept card readers (among other inputs). OTOH, it’s also really easy to transfer files wirelessly from a PC/Mac to your tablet without spending any money at all.

Boomanbb
Like?
In reply to seeblue, Dec 14, 2013

Its actually very safe and very easy. You will do absolutely no damage to your iPad connecting a hub to it and it is the only way to connect certian midi devices for instance. Follow the information in the Apple kb for additional details. I will have a cleaned up version of the setup in a day or two for you too see.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101

Ben

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +10 more
Boomanbb
Like?
In reply to John Russell NZ, Dec 14, 2013

Depending upon how much power the media draws, you may be able to read it by plugging a cheap unpowered USB hub into the Camera Connection kit and then plugging your card reader into the hub's USB port.

That worked for me with CF cards of 4GB or less. I needed a powered hub to read larger capacity cards.

Ben

-- hide signature --

Boomanbb
Like?
New pictures of final enhancements
In reply to Boomanbb, Dec 15, 2013

Now using a Li-Po battery to power the hub. Found an inexpensive folio case for the Air and velcro adhesive strips to hold the hub and battery on the back. The whole thing works like a champ and really expands the types of devices I can now use with my iPad. The hub doesn't draw power until a device is plugged in.

Ben

-- hide signature --

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311Gear list
Like?
In reply to Boomanbb, Dec 16, 2013

This works great for third gen iPad and all my CF cards. I do not have a micro drive and never will so do not know how or if it will work with a micro drive.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Menneisyys
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
In reply to pavi1, Dec 16, 2013

pavi1 wrote: I do not have a micro drive and never will so do not know how or if it will work with a micro drive.

It won't, given that there are currents on the order of 190 mA, peak 310 mA. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive ) and Apple have artificially made "high-current" peripherals like this useless - to avoid people connecting for example USB memory sticks to import videos from.

Very typical of Apple.

Boomanbb
Like?
In reply to Menneisyys, Dec 17, 2013

Well, I can tell you that I can easily read a microdrive with this powered hub setup since the battery pack is supplying the power. Not that I would want to use that slow card, rather it was a demonstration that by using a powered hub you can access devices previously off limits to the iPad.

Ben

-- hide signature --

Menneisyys
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
In reply to Boomanbb, Dec 17, 2013

Boomanbb wrote:

Well, I can tell you that I can easily read a microdrive with this powered hub setup since the battery pack is supplying the power. Not that I would want to use that slow card, rather it was a demonstration that by using a powered hub you can access devices previously off limits to the iPad.

Ben

-- hide signature --

I've been speaking about a not externally powered solution - something that Apple have deliberately disabled after the 3.2.0 "fiasco" in iPad 1. (3.2.0 still allowed for "high" power peripherals. Then, Apple noticed they really don't want to power external peripherals, including all kinds of USB sticks, to protect their lucrative $100 / capacity doubling storage business. This is why they introduced the 100 mA restriction in 3.2.1 and all iPad firmware versions ever since.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads