Who first used the word ISOless (or ISO less)?

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Tim A2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
Who first used the word ISOless (or ISO less)?
10 months ago

My efforts to find the origin of the word have not been successful.

ANSWER:
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,136Gear list
Like?
Re: Who first used the word ISOless (or ISO less)?
In reply to Tim A2, 10 months ago

Tim A2 wrote:

Register it and then it belongs to you.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,633Gear list
Like?

Whoever it is, I would like to know more about how to shoot onto a medium that lacks sensitivity to absorb light.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,966
Like?

Tim A2 wrote:

Unless anyone can find an earlier example, it looks like I might have been the guilty party

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/36874258

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 10 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Whoever it is, I would like to know more about how to shoot onto a medium that lacks sensitivity to absorb light.

That's a non-sequitur. 'ISO' has nothing to do with 'sensitivity to absorb light'. All ISO says is what grey scale you get for what exposure. So, 'ISOless camera' (or sensor) simply means that the camera treats all exposure levels the same, so that the decision as to which grey scale value you get for which exposure may be made at processing rather than capture time.

-- hide signature --

Bob

RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,722
Like?
In reply to bobn2, 10 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

Unless anyone can find an earlier example, it looks like I might have been the guilty party

-- hide signature --

Bob

Not you, i just did a quick google search and came across someone in the Adobe forums referring to "isoless cameras" in 2009.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
bobn2
Like?
In reply to RhysM, 10 months ago

RhysM wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

Not you, i just did a quick google search and came across someone in the Adobe forums referring to "isoless cameras" in 2009.

OK, I found that, the person now responsible is 'S.Panoholic', http://forums.adobe.com/thread/311819, Jan 19 2009.

-- hide signature --

Bob

DSPographer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,394
Like?
2008: explained for Red-One, without calling it ISO-less

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?12536-Understanding-ISO-with-the-RED-ONE

The Red cameras truly are ISO-less, the ISO setting just sets the tone-curve/LUT but doesn't change the raw data at all. The setting is stored as Meta-data simply to use as a starting point for setting the tone curve at playback.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

That's a non-sequitur. 'ISO' has nothing to do with 'sensitivity to absorb light'. All ISO says is what grey scale you get for what exposure. So, 'ISOless camera' (or sensor) simply means that the camera treats all exposure levels the same, so that the decision as to which grey scale value you get for which exposure may be made at processing rather than capture time.

-- hide signature --

Bob

ISO is a measure for sensitivity: how much light needed to make an exposure. Going ISOless would entail going without sensitivity aspect of the medium used to photograph.

The word you are looking for is: Fixed ISO.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
bobn2
Like?
Re: 2008: explained for Red-One, without calling it ISO-less
In reply to DSPographer, 10 months ago

DSPographer wrote:

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?12536-Understanding-ISO-with-the-RED-ONE

The Red cameras truly are ISO-less, the ISO setting just sets the tone-curve/LUT but doesn't change the raw data at all. The setting is stored as Meta-data simply to use as a starting point for setting the tone curve at playback.

But not the first with that characteristic - it was typical on most MFD backs with 16 bit converters. Most CCD cameras were 'ISOless' in the sense that the term is used today. The earliest MOS ISOless cameras (in those terms) were probably the Nikon D2X and D2H (2004)

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

ISO is a measure for sensitivity: how much light needed to make an exposure.

What you said was 'sensitivity to absorb light', which it certainly isn't. For instance the 1D X is approximately twice as 'sensitive' in terms of its 'ability to absorb light' as the 5D, yet both have the same ISO set to 100 ISO. And in fact, you are wrong also aboutISO being a measure for 'how much light is needed to make an exposure'. It is not that at all, it is a mapping of exposure to grey scale and says nothing about the outcome except that you will get the specified grey value for the specified exposure.

Going ISOless would entail going without sensitivity aspect of the medium used to photograph.

Only if you choose to totally misunderstand ISO.

No, fixed ISO would mean that you also get the same grey scale value for the same exposure, that is not what is talked about at all.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Tim A2
Like?

bobn2 wrote:

RhysM wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

OK, I found that, the person now responsible is 'S.Panoholic', http://forums.adobe.com/thread/311819, Jan 19 2009.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Thank you Bob. I do not know enough to know if S Panoholic's meaning for the word is the same as your meaning for the word. Can  you  tell us if he or she used the word to mean the same thing as you did or was his or her use of the word  just a coincidence?

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

What you said was 'sensitivity to absorb light', which it certainly isn't. For instance the 1D X is approximately twice as 'sensitive' in terms of its 'ability to absorb light' as the 5D, yet both have the same ISO set to 100 ISO. And in fact, you are wrong also aboutISO being a measure for 'how much light is needed to make an exposure'. It is not that at all, it is a mapping of exposure to grey scale and says nothing about the outcome except that you will get the specified grey value for the specified exposure.

Going ISOless would entail going without sensitivity aspect of the medium used to photograph.

No, fixed ISO would mean that you also get the same grey scale value for the same exposure, that is not what is talked about at all.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Explain why grey scale will change with exposure and what would cause that change.

DSPographer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,394
Like?

bobn2 wrote:

DSPographer wrote:

But not the first with that characteristic - it was typical on most MFD backs with 16 bit converters. Most CCD cameras were 'ISOless' in the sense that the term is used today. The earliest MOS ISOless cameras (in those terms) were probably the Nikon D2X and D2H (2004)

-- hide signature --

Bob

Did those cameras store the ISO setting as meta-data for the raw conversion without adjusting sensor gain? I think some MF cameras may have, but the Nikon cameras don't.

Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?

Tim A2 wrote:

Technically and properly ISO literally means 'International Standards Organisation', so an ISOless camera would mean that it doesn't comply with international standards, in this case pertaining to the scale used to describe accurately and universally for comparison purposes, the sensor's sensitivity to light. More accurately still, it measures what the imaging engine does with the available light at set steps of the scale.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
bobn2
Like?

Tim A2 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

RhysM wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob

Thank you Bob. I do not know enough to know if S Panoholic's meaning for the word is the same as your meaning for the word. Can you tell us if he or she used the word to mean the same thing as you did or was his or her use of the word just a coincidence?

He, or she means the same. It is about an MFD back where the ISO is just metadata, as DSPographer described.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
Like?
In reply to DSPographer, 10 months ago

DSPographer wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

DSPographer wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

Did those cameras store the ISO setting as meta-data for the raw conversion without adjusting sensor gain? I think some MF cameras may have, but the Nikon cameras don't.

Yes, the MFD backs did, the Nikon's don't, but are useable that way if you stick to base ISO.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob

Explain why grey scale will change with exposure and what would cause that change.

You might be asking one of two separate questions there.

i) How does the the mapping between exposure and grey scale change if the ISO setting is changed? If that is the question, the answer is that the ISO standards do not dictate how that should happen, and it typically happens in one of two ways or a mixture thereof. One is that the analog gain before the ADC is changed, the second is that the mapping between the readings from the ADC and the grey scale values is changed. If exclusively the second, then the camera is what is being referred to here as 'ISOless'.

ii) How do different exposure levels result in different grey scale levels? The ADC values essentially represent photon counts. The development process maps the scale of photon counts to a grey scale.

Neither of those things intrinsically represents a change of sensitivity. The analog gain change might result in a smaller minimum signal being readable, due to lower read noise (in photoelectron terms) which could be termed a change in sensitivity, but this is a completely different thing to 'ISO' since the ISO speed ratings do not specify the minimum readable signal.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
Like?
In reply to Aberaeron, 10 months ago

Aberaeron wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

Technically and properly ISO literally means 'International Standards Organisation',

In fact it doesn't. 'ISO' is not an acronym. The nam of the organisation in English is 'the International Organisation for Standardization'.

so an ISOless camera would mean that it doesn't comply with international standards, in this case pertaining to the scale used to describe accurately and universally for comparison purposes, the sensor's sensitivity to light.

That is not what the ISO speed standards describe. They do not specify the sensor's sensitivity to light at all.

More accurately still, it measures what the imaging engine does with the available light at set steps of the scale.

Nor do they do that.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Tim A2
Like?

bobn2 wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

RhysM wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob

Thank you Bob. I do not know enough to know if S Panoholic's meaning for the word is the same as your meaning for the word. Can you tell us if he or she used the word to mean the same thing as you did or was his or her use of the word just a coincidence?

He, or she means the same. It is about an MFD back where the ISO is just metadata, as DSPographer described.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Well I guess he or she gets credited on a technicality, but his or her use of the word did not result in the word being commonly used, so I would say you seem to be the one to receive credit for the word being commonly used today. Now the people that don't like the word know whom to blame for it.  

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads