Couple of comments on the gx7

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
alan brown
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Couple of comments on the gx7
8 months ago

I'm a long time user of m43 beginning with the Panasonic G1.  Over these years I have owned the G1, G3, GH2, and GX1 from Panasonic and the Pen EPL1, EPL2, EP3, and E-M5 from Olympus.  I have had little trust in the histograms of the Panasonics in that they are not very accurate indicators of blown highlights.  On the other hand, the so-called blinkies on the Olympus cameras were very accurate and very easy to use.

So I was rather hesitant to purchase the GX7 in spite of other features that I knew I would like and use.  Well, I finally bought a black GX7 and to my delight it is everything I was hoping for and the histogram is, finally, very accurate in regard to blown highlights.

So far I have no complaints.  It really does seem photographers designed this camera both in terms of its physical configuration and the immense amount of customization.

Still like my E-M5 but the GX7 just fits me better.  YMMV.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106
Like?
Re: Couple of comments on the gx7
In reply to alan brown, 8 months ago

alan brown wrote:

I'm a long time user of m43 beginning with the Panasonic G1. Over these years I have owned the G1, G3, GH2, and GX1 from Panasonic and the Pen EPL1, EPL2, EP3, and E-M5 from Olympus. I have had little trust in the histograms of the Panasonics in that they are not very accurate indicators of blown highlights. On the other hand, the so-called blinkies on the Olympus cameras were very accurate and very easy to use.

So I was rather hesitant to purchase the GX7 in spite of other features that I knew I would like and use. Well, I finally bought a black GX7 and to my delight it is everything I was hoping for and the histogram is, finally, very accurate in regard to blown highlights.

So far I have no complaints. It really does seem photographers designed this camera both in terms of its physical configuration and the immense amount of customization.

Still like my E-M5 but the GX7 just fits me better. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Cool, I found the same too, EM-5 is really nice, but the GX7 just feels better and the functionality is great, enjoy!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?

alan brown wrote:

I'm a long time user of m43 beginning with the Panasonic G1. Over these years I have owned the G1, G3, GH2, and GX1 from Panasonic and the Pen EPL1, EPL2, EP3, and E-M5 from Olympus. I have had little trust in the histograms of the Panasonics in that they are not very accurate indicators of blown highlights. On the other hand, the so-called blinkies on the Olympus cameras were very accurate and very easy to use.

So I was rather hesitant to purchase the GX7 in spite of other features that I knew I would like and use. Well, I finally bought a black GX7 and to my delight it is everything I was hoping for and the histogram is, finally, very accurate in regard to blown highlights.

So far I have no complaints. It really does seem photographers designed this camera both in terms of its physical configuration and the immense amount of customization.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

If you would not mind, would you comment on the picture quality between the E-M5 vs the GX7, in both JPG and RAW. What I have seen in samples images, it seems like the E-M5 is a bit sharper than the GX7. Getting the opinion from someone like you that has both camera's would be much appreciated, thanks!

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,241Gear list
Like?
Hijacked account?
In reply to Advent1sam, 8 months ago

Advent1sam wrote:

alan brown wrote:

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Cool, I found the same too, EM-5 is really nice, but the GX7 just feels better and the functionality is great, enjoy!

What have you done with AdventSam?   This is to reasonable a perspective to be from the the Sam well all know and roll our eyes at!

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,145
Like?
In reply to Advent1sam, 8 months ago

Advent1sam wrote:

alan brown wrote:

-- hide signature --

alan brown

I still have the E-M5 but my GX7 had to be sent back for a spot on the sensor.

I agree with everything you said, but wasn't aware of the inaccuracy of previous histogram output. The GX7 is much more comfortable to hold and easier to customize. Adds new features like silent shutter.

I know everyone's on the E-M1 wagon, but for my style the GX7 is the quintessential µ4/3 cam.

-- hide signature --

Dave

BrunoAfonso
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, 8 months ago

Even though it lacks better IS I'm looking forward to second hand bodies...

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,145
Like?
In reply to BrunoAfonso, 8 months ago

BrunoAfonso wrote:

Even though it lacks better IS I'm looking forward to second hand bodies...

I read one review from the other forum that found IBIS better in the GX7 than E-M1. It was some time ago and I really don't want to go search for the article.

I see a GX7 on eBay for $607.

Other forum can be found here:

http://www.mu-43.com/

-- hide signature --

Dave

alan brown
Like?
In reply to Grobb, 8 months ago

tron555 wrote:

alan brown wrote:

-- hide signature --

alan brown

If you would not mind, would you comment on the picture quality between the E-M5 vs the GX7, in both JPG and RAW. What I have seen in samples images, it seems like the E-M5 is a bit sharper than the GX7. Getting the opinion from someone like you that has both camera's would be much appreciated, thanks!

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

I haven't had the GX7 very long so comments should be considered preliminary.  I only shoot Raw so can't comment on the jpegs.  Having said that, I would say I haven't found any difference between the files so far.  Although I often print rather large (16x20 to 20x24) I have only printed letter size so far.  No difference in the prints. I might process them differently in ACR but feel the IQ is basically the same.  Many others have reported the same thing.  It does seem that Olympus uses slightly more sharpening in their jpegs than does Panasonic and that might be what you are seeing.

Both the GX7 and EM5 are simply great cameras.  They simply punch above their weight IMO.

I think I prefer the GX7 for ergonomic reasons and my ability to customize it the way I want.

Can't go wrong with either and I'm keeping both.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind this is just one person's opinion.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

rEVOLVE
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, 8 months ago

I tried a GX7 and really liked the handling and features compared to my EM-5. Then I realized that the E-P5 was essentially everything I wanted out of the GX7 (focus peaking, 1/8000s shutter, wifi) but would have the 5-axis IBIS during video and let me use the batteries I already have for my EM-5.

I think the only things I would miss from the GX7 is the built-in VF, better video modes (maybe Oly would upgrade w/ firmware?) and the in-body correction for my Panasonic lenses (which I actually have more of than Oly right now if counting just m4/3).

rEVOLVE's gear list:rEVOLVE's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-510 Nikon D7000 +22 more
alan brown
Like?
In reply to rEVOLVE, 8 months ago

rEVOLVE wrote:

I tried a GX7 and really liked the handling and features compared to my EM-5. Then I realized that the E-P5 was essentially everything I wanted out of the GX7 (focus peaking, 1/8000s shutter, wifi) but would have the 5-axis IBIS during video and let me use the batteries I already have for my EM-5.

I think the only things I would miss from the GX7 is the built-in VF, better video modes (maybe Oly would upgrade w/ firmware?) and the in-body correction for my Panasonic lenses (which I actually have more of than Oly right now if counting just m4/3).

I haven't ever had the chance to handle the ep5 but it looks great and performs great, but I wanted a built-in viewfinder.  Everyone seems to think the vf4 is spectacular so it was tempting.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,316
Like?

alan brown wrote:

Well, I finally bought a black GX7 and to my delight it is everything I was hoping for and the histogram is, finally, very accurate in regard to blown highlights.

One thing I noticed on my GX7 is that the JPEG settings seems to have very little effect on the blinkies for blown highlights.  On previous cameras I had they used the JPEG created for playback on the screen to determine what was over exposed so changing the contrast also changed the threshold for indicating blown highlights, even when shooting raw.  Panasonic did a good job with this.  Maybe they are using the raw data.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads