Entusiastic about the GX7

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
SlamdunK
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Entusiastic about the GX7
7 months ago

Received the GX7 today, and it made such an impression that i decided to brush some dust of my little used blog:

http://pitofknowledge.blogspot.no/2013/12/panasonic-gx7-first-look-review.html

Short Story, I was close to leaving m43, but the GX7 saved the day!

-- hide signature --

I.B.

SlamdunK's gear list:SlamdunK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kirlen
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
Re: Entusiastic about the GX7
In reply to SlamdunK, 7 months ago

+1  on the GX7!  I have had mine for several months and I have to say it's become my "go to" camera.  I'm not planning to get rid of my other cameras.  They have their places, but the GX7 is getting most of the love right now.  Pairs nicely with the Panny 20mm and 25mm as well as the Sigma 60mm.  Great camera! Enjoy!

kirlen's gear list:kirlen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rcjim
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?

I enjoyed your GX7 thoughts on your blog. The GX7 is my first M43 camera and I’m downright impressed! I find it comical that there are those who try to compare the Olympus E-M1 to the GX7 for the only reason to say Oly trumps Pany. Seriously? It’s an apples to oranges comparison. The E-M1 is a more DSLR-like and is a beast compared to the GX7. It’s an apples to oranges comparison. Video is also important to me and the GX7 is a video powerhouse! The bottom line is that the GX7 is 2013’s M43 Camera of the Year.

rcjim's gear list:rcjim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024
Like?

SlamdunK wrote:

Received the GX7 today, and it made such an impression that i decided to brush some dust of my little used blog:

-- hide signature --

I.B.

It is a joy and pleasure to here your enthusiasm for a super camera! I have one issue with mine, but I have a 3 year warranty courtesy of Panasonic so am not too worried, but the battery compartment door moves ever so slightly when closed and I grip the camera? Apart from that its wonderful.

nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,405Gear list
Like?

Ditto what you said in your blog.

I've also owned several Panny M43 cameras - G1, GF1, GH2, GX1, G5.  None of them compare to the quality of the GX7 and the customization available with it.  The 20mm1.7 is my favorite lens on it - and the 14mmf2.5 is another great fit.

Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,136
Like?

SlamdunK wrote:

-- hide signature --

I.B.

So glad to hear it! Finally, what after four years, and beautiful Sony NEX models that had it, Panasonic comes up with the first µ4/3 camera with a rangefinder shape to have integrated flash and EVF.

The small DSLR shape just doesn't work for my style. The GX7 has so many features being added to one camera and it's very customizable. GX7 and Gm1 are most exciting Panasonic cameras for me since the original GF1.

I think I shot this in vivid.

-- hide signature --

Dave

duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,464Gear list
Like?

Replied in your blog. I don't think you are doing any justice to the GH2.

Anyway congratulations on the new body, it's the camera I've always dreamed of and expected Olympus to produce.

I just wish I can get my hands on an used one within one year for 500-600€. (That's the way I got my GH2, and the only way I can justify a GX7).

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?
Also enthusiastic about the GX7

I've had my GX7 a few weeks now, and I think it's fantastic. The rangefinder style form factor has always appealed to me (I got into MFT with a GF1, then moved to a GX1). Now having the excellent, built-in EVF is great, with all of the other improvements being very tasty icing on the cake. For me, it epitomizes the best characteristics of MFT.

I also have a G5 that I got for a terrific price, and I like having two bodies, but I can tell it won't get much use now except when I want to shoot with both cameras, or as a backup. Someday I may want to purchase a future-generation body in the E-M1 or GH3 category to replace the G5 and complement the GX7, but right now I think I'm set for several years.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,034Gear list
Like?

SlamdunK wrote:

Some feel other bodies are 'better', but that relates to how THEY relate to their camera and the uses they put it towards.

I wouldn't understand anyone that got the GX7 with eyes wide open that wouldn't be enthusiastic about it.

Congrats on the acquisition.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
I love the GX7, a wonderful camera, it really grows on you... nt
In reply to Bob Tullis, 7 months ago

no text

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list:Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,021Gear list
Like?
Nothing "toyish" about the GH2

Just a good midrange cam Not excellent built, but not cheap either. I still have it a pretty good camera overall. I would never nuy a G5 to replace it. G7 seems a better option. Or, with the Gh4 being quite expensive, a new in between higher level cam that is more Gh3 like but not as big.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,971Gear list
Like?
In reply to rcjim, 7 months ago

rcjim wrote:

I enjoyed your GX7 thoughts on your blog. The GX7 is my first M43 camera and I’m downright impressed! I find it comical that there are those who try to compare the Olympus E-M1 to the GX7 for the only reason to say Oly trumps Pany. Seriously? It’s an apples to oranges comparison. The E-M1 is a more DSLR-like and is a beast compared to the GX7. It’s an apples to oranges comparison. Video is also important to me and the GX7 is a video powerhouse! The bottom line is that the GX7 is 2013’s M43 Camera of the Year.

How well does the image stabilization work with your GX-7 while shooting video?  Do you find you need anything to help get a steadier and more flowing type of movement/shot?

Do you have a work flow when you are shooting video?

How does the audio portion sound? If I recall correctly no external mic input.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 7 months ago

The GX7's IBIS is not functional while shooting video, one of the common criticisms of the camera.  So you need lens-based IS to have any stabilization while shooting video with the GX7.

You are correct, there is no external mic jack on the GX7.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
gteague
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, 7 months ago

i only got mine yesterday but so far it seems a most excellent update to the gx1 although you'd think a jump from gx1 to gx7 would be a quantum leap instead of a 'mere' upgrade.

at least now panasonic has in-body stabilization which lack thereof has caused me to call them foul names and curse their mothers. can't begin to describe how stupid a move it was to make lenses carry the weight and it caused some of their prospective customers to buy oly bodies. but i could curse them forever for this brain dead decision and i won't. i'll merely start in again on them not letting me use it on video! [g]

-- hide signature --

\//guy
/The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!/ \~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
SlamdunK
Like?
In reply to duartix, 7 months ago

duartix wrote:

Replied in your blog. I don't think you are doing any justice to the GH2.

Thanks for your reply!

You are probably right about the GH2. The GH2 was probably the best mirror less camera of its time in many ways. My "issue" with it was that I preferred using the GF1, so the GH2 was mostly left home.

I.B.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +2 more
SlamdunK
Like?
Re: Also enthusiastic about the GX7
In reply to brentbrent, 7 months ago

I think I might keep a camera for backup as well, you never know when you'll need it. I find the idea of the GM1 as a backup/portable camera appealing as well.

-- hide signature --

I.B.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads