Canon 6D, do I need to worry about having hot/dead pixels from day one?

Started Dec 13, 2013 | Discussions
PeterTX
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?
Canon 6D, do I need to worry about having hot/dead pixels from day one?
Dec 13, 2013

Coming from a Nikon D90 that I recently sold in order to move to full frame I am a bit nerous about having hot/dead pixels from day 1. They developed over time with the D90, had Nikon remap it for nice chump of change, $200, only to find new ones develop less than a year later.

I really liked the camera but this issue and the noise at higher ISO has made me sell it and currently I am looking at either Sony A7 or Canon 6d. I like the 6D with its wifi and GPS, high ISO, low light focus capacility while the Sony offers a small size, almost as good IQ and built in re-mapping of hot/dead pixels.

So for you 6D owners have you had hot/dead pixelks from day 1 or had them develop over time since you bought the camera last year? I know that you will get some hot ones when you go real high in ISO but I am talking about the 400-16oo range, not 6400-25k.

Also appreciate any other thoughts.

Thanks

PeterTX's gear list:PeterTX's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D90 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fog Maker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157
Like?
Re: Canon 6D, do I need to worry about having hot/dead pixels from day one?
In reply to PeterTX, Dec 13, 2013

PeterTX wrote:

Coming from a Nikon D90 that I recently sold in order to move to full frame I am a bit nerous about having hot/dead pixels from day 1. They developed over time with the D90, had Nikon remap it for nice chump of change, $200, only to find new ones develop less than a year later.

I really liked the camera but this issue and the noise at higher ISO has made me sell it and currently I am looking at either Sony A7 or Canon 6d. I like the 6D with its wifi and GPS, high ISO, low light focus capacility while the Sony offers a small size, almost as good IQ and built in re-mapping of hot/dead pixels.

So for you 6D owners have you had hot/dead pixelks from day 1 or had them develop over time since you bought the camera last year? I know that you will get some hot ones when you go real high in ISO but I am talking about the 400-16oo range, not 6400-25k.

Thanks

I really had no problems with the 5D mkII

But the 5D IIIs are a different story, since I have

noticed several. I don't like it and can't decide

if it is worth sending them in - especially

since I have shot all video material with

others cameras since I got them, but

will be using them pretty soon

Yes, its the reality of digital, but still

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?

PeterTX wrote:

Coming from a Nikon D90 that I recently sold in order to move to full frame I am a bit nerous about having hot/dead pixels from day 1. They developed over time with the D90, had Nikon remap it for nice chump of change, $200, only to find new ones develop less than a year later.

Thanks

I've had no problems with mine.  However, even if I did, it's only 1/20000000th of the image area, so I'm sure I could live with it using Lightroom to automatically clone them out.  I'm sure Canon would map them out under warranty for the first 12 months.

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
Everything to do with the art of photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

Jimmy K.
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, Dec 13, 2013

With any camera, you should not be overly concerned.  However, it doesn't hurt to check this out.

When I got the 6D, I did the lens cap test.  If there were any issues, I could return the unit.  There were no dead pixels.  There were some minor hot pixels.  If I recall correctly, it was like <20 pixels with slightly higher signal.  It was much better than D7000, which was pretty good too.

I have used 6D for 9 months.  I have no noticed anything in real usage.  I have not done any lens cap testing, and I do not want to.  Unless it is something I can see in photo, I don't want to go looking for issues that I cannot see.  And there is nothing I can do now, other than to ship to Canon for mapping.

Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?

It's about one year since I got my 5D3 and never observed this problem .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,928Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marx81, Dec 14, 2013

If you do a manual clean for about a minute with the lens cap on, should save you $200.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1170332

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads