Started 10 months ago | Discussions
chuck kling
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
Snowy owl and pellet regurgitation:
10 months ago

Hi:

Sorry for the slipup !!

Photos taken at about 75 yards distance.... D300s..300mm F2.8 VR + 1.4x t.c.

www.pbase.com/hootpix

Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Iain Harper
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Re: Snowy owl and pellet regurgitation:
In reply to chuck kling, 10 months ago

I love the way you animated the pictures in series. Beautiful bird, beautiful pictures.

Iain.

Iain Harper's gear list:Iain Harper's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,368Gear list
Like?
In reply to chuck kling, 10 months ago

That's an interesting, if slightly disgusting, series of images. So, for those of us that don't know, what is the owl doing and why?

thanks
Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
chuck kling
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, 10 months ago

Thanks, Kerry !

The owls regularly regurgitate , in the form of usually compact oval shaped bundles of undigestible materials..... consisting of hair, bones, feathers, etc. from  their prey.

Other raptors such as hawks, etc., do the same thing.

In the field, I have noticed from experience , that when a perching Snowy owl , such as in this case, brings up a pellet.... it may often be a sign that it is ready to take off...perhaps to hunt once again.

When I saw this bird regurgitate....I was immediately at the ready , for possible flight ....which I did luckily capture.

This winter is  witness to a very large southward movement of these birds, especially in eastern North America. This can repeat itself in sort of irregular cycles, every few years. The reasons being , probable high fledgling success in the far north and / or a plunge in the population of its favorite prey.....the lemming.

It looks like hundreds...if not thousands of photographers, will be very busy through the winter

Chuck Kling

P.S.,....my collection of Snowys over the years, can be seen at:

http://www.pbase.com/hootpix/snowy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads