Cheapest camera I could bring to do a landscape

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
Cheapest camera I could bring to do a landscape
10 months ago

$350 a3000 does quite well when I brought her to the frozen falls, kit lens.

Many photographers at the location with much spendier bodies and lenses, wonder what those photos looked like.

Pixel peepers: this shot was 5500 pix by 12000 long, so its been resized for web.

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ksc6000
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: Cheapest camera I could bring to do a landscape
In reply to EthanP99, 10 months ago

Great shot

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?

Nothing wrong with the IQ of the A3000.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,606Gear list
Like?

Good shot.

A3000 is a capable camera. The sensor is very good, you also get EVF (which you don't with most entry level mirrorless cameras including NEX-3 series).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571Gear list
Like?

Camera is easy.

Cheap-good lenses is the challenge...

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,792Gear list
Like?
Eos-m is another way to get good lenses and a low price
In reply to pako, 10 months ago

pako wrote:

Camera is easy.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

Cheap-good lenses? That is where the Eos-m is great. The EF-m lenses (all three of them) are particularly good, and cheap. And with a $50 adapter you can use any Canon EF lens with OKish AF. The 22mm f2 pancake goes for $100 white box, the 11-22 $400, the kit zoom with the camera $300.

In EF the $120 50mm f1.8, the $150 40mm f2.8, and the 55-250 telezoom ($120 white box) are all good lenses.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?

pako wrote:

Camera is easy.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

I have the Sigma 19mm and 30mm: wonderful lenses. I hear the 60mm might be even better in IQ.

Doubt that the photo of the OP would have been any worse with the Sigma 19mm.

The SEL50 is also good and affordable (personally I got it for 150€ used-like-new); same with the SEL55210 imo.

With these 4-5 lenses you have most of the needs covered.

-- hide signature --

Photos taken since I bought my Nex-6: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,606Gear list
Like?

Camera is easy.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

There are a lot of inexpensive choices for use on E-mount for the purpose. In fact, I was quite surprised with Soligor 24mm/2.8, MD mount, for less than $40 including adapter. Plenty of M42 choices (size of adapter is less of an issue on A3000 due to its form factor). Minolta 24/2.8 is another very good lens. My Sony 20/2.8 pancake is on its way so its performance will be reported soon.

In fact, I would say the 18-55 kit zoom did a fine job as well.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,907Gear list
Like?

Great shot!

Where is this place exactly?

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
EthanP99
Like?
In reply to miro3, 10 months ago

Multnomah falls, oregon

Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,818Gear list
Like?
In reply to miro3, 10 months ago

Yup. When I read the title of the thread, my first thought was A3000. It has compromises in several areas, but IQ is definitely not one of them. Great bang for the buck!

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290
Like?

EthanP99 wrote:

$350 a3000 does quite well when I brought her to the frozen falls, kit lens.

Many photographers at the location with much spendier bodies and lenses, wonder what those photos looked like.

Pixel peepers: this shot was 5500 pix by 12000 long, so its been resized for web.

You shot at ISO 100, f/14, 1/40 sec.

With modern cameras the IQ depends most significantly on the ability of the photographer, not on the gear, and then on his/her ability to post process.

f/14 will rob the image of its sharpness, google 'diffraction'. But f/8 would have sped up the exposure to around 1/100 sec or so and that would have almost frozen the falling water in place. Lower ISO is not available; ISO 25 would be wonderful (1/25 sec exposure then at f/8) if it existed today … .

So what to do for silky waterfalls: Get an ND filter, good to lower the incoming light by 3-4 stops and then use a 1/10 sec exposure.

Then the pp skills come into play: shoot RAW, learn Lightroom or equivalent and succeed then.

Good luck. No $2,000 camera would not have done any better, given the limitations of the photographs taken that dreary day all around you: Can you find a better framing? a nicer angle of view somehow? A closer crop, one with visual interest and detail? Can you poke around the sides of the fall a bit, shoot up or down vertically from that bridge into the ice cascades? Or come back when the fall is shaded in parts, lit in parts, or with a blue sky above? Here all is brown in brown and ice-white. Two tone image, shot square on. Stale.

That, the personal vision, is the hardest task to gain and master here. Good luck then with your camera.

EthanP99
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, 10 months ago

could I crop? 54MP says maybe

heres a sample crop

captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,760Gear list
Like?
Re: Eos-m is another way to get good lenses and a low price
In reply to tomtom50, 10 months ago

tomtom50 wrote:

pako wrote:

Camera is easy.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

Cheap-good lenses? That is where the Eos-m is great. The EF-m lenses (all three of them) are particularly good, and cheap. And with a $50 adapter you can use any Canon EF lens with OKish AF. The 22mm f2 pancake goes for $100 white box, the 11-22 $400, the kit zoom with the camera $300.

In EF the $120 50mm f1.8, the $150 40mm f2.8, and the 55-250 telezoom ($120 white box) are all good lenses.

You want to adapt these Canon lenses to a APSC/ E-mount Sony camera? Why bother. For landscaping I'd pick up the Sigma wide 19mm f2.8, for $100.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to DimitriDV, 10 months ago

+1

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,557Gear list
Like?

Very nice work after the shots. Excellent in fact and well held on all the whites in this. You don't need faster shutters speeds, I'm not sure where that poster got that from, water does not always have to be stopped, water flows and it always will

All the best and congrats, fine resulting image and a darn good camera for that cost, amazingly so in fact. As I said, nice work after the shots

Danny.

-- hide signature --
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 10 months ago

captura wrote:

tomtom50 wrote:

pako wrote:

Camera is easy.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

You want to adapt these Canon lenses to a APSC/ E-mount Sony camera? Why bother. For landscaping I'd pick up the Sigma wide 19mm f2.8, for $100.

I have the Sigma 19mm in E-mount, by the way. I like it fine, but the 22mm Canon EF-m f2  is a full stop faster, sharper, and a pancake. It is the lens Sony should be making, but isn't. $100 white box, same as I paid for the Sigma.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571Gear list
Like?
In reply to DimitriDV, 10 months ago

DimitriDV wrote:

pako wrote:

Camera is easy.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

I have the Sigma 19mm and 30mm: wonderful lenses. I hear the 60mm might be even better in IQ.

Doubt that the photo of the OP would have been any worse with the Sigma 19mm.

The SEL50 is also good and affordable (personally I got it for 150€ used-like-new); same with the SEL55210 imo.

With these 4-5 lenses you have most of the needs covered.

Agree on everything but the 55-210, that is not up to the quality of the 50f1.8 or the Sigma 19mm

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
captura
Like?
In reply to tomtom50, 10 months ago

tomtom50 wrote:

captura wrote:

tomtom50 wrote:

pako wrote:

Camera is easy.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

I have the Sigma 19mm in E-mount, by the way. I like it fine, but the 22mm Canon EF-m f2 is a full stop faster, sharper, and a pancake. It is the lens Sony should be making, but isn't. $100 white box, same as I paid for the Sigma.

I have a couple of EFS and EF lenses, too.

The 22 mm EFS and the 40 mm EF lenses cannot be controlled manually on an E-mount camera and require full electronic adapter such as the ones offered by RJ and Metabones. There are other larger non-pancake EF and EFS  lenses which can be adapted, but who would bother with that kind of expense? Now I'm quite certain that there are no ef-m canon to sony NEX lens adapters; I've searched eBay and Amazon.

There is a brand new Canon M II model out now, only in Japan. It has a new fast PDAF system which cuts AF times in half. Why not wait until it becomes available over here and buy one for your M lenses?

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,029Gear list
Like?

Nunhuh!  Pentax Q on auction sites for 227$    Bet you wouldn't see many of them there.  Break out you're tiny UWA lens and put the "Q" on a table top tripod, jaws would drop.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads