New Sony User - 7r with Canon 40mm pancake photos

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Ralf_L
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
New Sony User - 7r with Canon 40mm pancake photos
7 months ago

I bought Sony 7r two days ago but without any optics. Here in Sweden and other parts of the Europe was almost impossible to get any lenses so fare. FE 24-70 F/4 would arrive in January and then I can do proper test/review with camera. Following shots was photographed with Canon lens 40mm F/2,8 and converter from Metabones (mark III).

Auto focus was slow and sometimes took few seconds to lock but wen it did the result was really good. I will test rest of my Canon lenses during the coming days. All photos was photographed in jpg format and later downsized to 1600 pix. for Internet.

I am gong to use this camera for architecture, interior and portraits and will stay with Canon for action and wildlife as it looks right now.

100% crop.

100% crop.

-- hide signature --

www.ralfsworld.com

Ralf_L's gear list:Ralf_L's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +14 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,136
Like?
Re: New Sony User - 7r with Canon 40mm pancake photos
In reply to Ralf_L, 7 months ago

Thanks for sharing images.

Just a question. How will you use Canon for action and wildlife if the AF is so slow? I'm using MBIII also but wonder how I could catch an action shot when cam is two seconds behind?

I have OK results with 17-40, 24-105, 70--200, but great results with 28/2.8 IS, 100/2 IS, and EF-s 60 Macro in crop mode, and also with manual lenses.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 510Gear list
Like?

very nice shots.

Stockholm?

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Leica T
zilver
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, 7 months ago

You get great results with 28/2.8 with AF?

KwhyChang wrote:

Just a question. How will you use Canon for action and wildlife if the AF is so slow? I'm using MBIII also but wonder how I could catch an action shot when cam is two seconds behind?

I have OK results with 17-40, 24-105, 70--200, but great results with 28/2.8 IS, 100/2 IS, and EF-s 60 Macro in crop mode, and also with manual lenses.

-- hide signature --

Dave

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,124Gear list
Like?

KwhyChang wrote:

I am pretty sure he meant Canon DSLR for action/wildlife, not the Canon+ MBIII adapter on A7r.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
KwhyChang
Like?
In reply to zilver, 7 months ago

zilver wrote:

You get great results with 28/2.8 with AF?

KwhyChang wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dave

Yes the Canon Ef 28/2.8 IS works on the MBIII adapter I have and the results are excellent, although I don't have an image on this laptop to share. I've been impressed with the results of all my Canon lenses, save the 17-40.... it's not bad and it does work.

-- hide signature --

Dave

zilver
Like?

Sounds great!

The focus is fast enough for general use?   Thanks.

KwhyChang wrote:-

Yes the Canon Ef 28/2.8 IS works on the MBIII adapter I have and the results are excellent, although I don't have an image on this laptop to share. I've been impressed with the results of all my Canon lenses, save the 17-40.... it's not bad and it does work.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Ralf_L
Like?

Yes it was Stockholm from yesterday

-- hide signature --

www.ralfsworld.com

Leica D-LUX 5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +14 more
KwhyChang
Like?

zilver wrote:

Sounds great!

The focus is fast enough for general use? Thanks.

KwhyChang wrote:-

-- hide signature --

Dave

Well the focus is faster than my hand manual focusing and usually very accurate...like I said it's about two seconds. I found it seems faster with the flexible spot focus area.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Ralf_L
Like?
In reply to viking79, 7 months ago

Eric you are right, action + wildlife = Canon

/Ralf

-- hide signature --

www.ralfsworld.com

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,140Gear list
Like?

I have the little 40 pancake. I rarely use it because it's a bit too slow for me, so that's why I know I wouldn't want the Zeiss 35/2.8 FE. But if I get the Metabones adapter for my 100L then I might use the 40 here and there. Do you have any photos of how it looks on the A7/R?

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads