New LR color profiles for E series cameras

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
New LR color profiles for E series cameras
10 months ago

On the news page there is the news item that Adobe has now finally included color profiles for Olympus cameras. So, I figured I'd try them out with a difficult shot from earlier this week.

Here is the relevant news story:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/12/13/adobe-adds-color-profiles-for-olympus-cameras-to-acr-and-lightroom?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1

Here are 4 renderings of the same shot of my Grand Daughter from Tuesday night.
Here is the Camera OOC Jpeg with Auto WB:

The lighting, btw, is the really yucky fluorescent bulbs with phosphors that try to mimic a more daylight color range, but as the bulbs age, and these are old, the light just really screws up cameras. I'm sure the light's color spectrum is not just shifted color temp, but has all sorts of weird spikes in its color output graph.

OOC Jpeg with auto WB

Below is the same shot processed with LR 5.3 using the new Camera body Natural profile setting and WB to a grey card shot. This new EM1 profile has just been talked about on the news page. Apparently Adobe has never provided Olympus camera body color profiles till now.

LR with Camera Natural selected and WB adjusted to grey card and slight exposure correction

and below is the shot in LR 5.3 with the ColorcheckerPassport treatment I normally use in such harsh or difficult lighting:

LR with Colorchecker Passport custom profile

and lastly below is with LR but with the Adobe Standard default selection for color profile.

LR with Adobe Standard color profile applied

In the news article about the new LR 5.3 color profiles much is made about the improvement of Camera Natural for the EM1 as compared to using the prior default profile.

However, I'm finding the Adobe Standard profile is very close to the Colorchecker Passport profile while the Camera Natural profile is not quite as accurate.

I wonder, did the Adobe folks match or try to match the cameras processing profile? I suppose I should WB the original shot of the OOC jpeg and see how it compares to the others.

These are all with the 60mm macro with Face Detect Closest eye btw.

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Lafayette, IN
http://finestimages.zenfolio.com/favorites

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,889Gear list
Like?
Re: New LR color profiles for E series cameras
In reply to John Mason, 10 months ago

I saw the same article and finally upgraded from Lightroom 4.4 to 5.3.  I'll be interested to see what effect these color profiles will have with my E system camera bodies and Zuiko lenses.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Mason
Like?
2 more samples..

I went ahead and did the same exposure correction and WB as the Raw processed pictures and applied them to the original OOC Jpeg and then compared that to the 'Camera Natural' setting with the Raw conversion and I find these virtually identical. I would conclude that Adobe basically mapped the camera output to determine these profiles meaning you can match your Olympus color look whenever you want when using LR with an Olympus camera.

Below this shot is the same as my OP and is the Raw converted with Camera Natural selected

And below is the Camera OOC jpeg with the WB applied from my grey card shot and the exposure lifted to be similar to what I did when I processed the raws.

Those are very close in color rendering.

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,796Gear list
Like?

Gidday John

Thanks for that link. I will explore the link tomorrow when my brain is working a bit better.

Does it support other Olympus cameras, e.g. the dSLR E-x, E-xx, E-xxx ranges?

Also, is it available in ACR for CS6? I am using ACR v.8.3.

I know I should look it up for myself, but if you know the answers I would be grateful for them .

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
papawupa
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

I have an e-620 and have found that there are now three options in LR 5.3. E-620 CCP and E-620 DNGPE and the Adobe Standard. Does anyone know how to make one of these options a default when loading the RAW images into LR?

John Mason wrote:

On the news page there is the news item that Adobe has now finally included color profiles for Olympus cameras. So, I figured I'd try them out with a difficult shot from earlier this week.

Here is the relevant news story:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/12/13/adobe-adds-color-profiles-for-olympus-cameras-to-acr-and-lightroom?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1

Here are 4 renderings of the same shot of my Grand Daughter from Tuesday night.
Here is the Camera OOC Jpeg with Auto WB:

The lighting, btw, is the really yucky fluorescent bulbs with phosphors that try to mimic a more daylight color range, but as the bulbs age, and these are old, the light just really screws up cameras. I'm sure the light's color spectrum is not just shifted color temp, but has all sorts of weird spikes in its color output graph.

OOC Jpeg with auto WB

Below is the same shot processed with LR 5.3 using the new Camera body Natural profile setting and WB to a grey card shot. This new EM1 profile has just been talked about on the news page. Apparently Adobe has never provided Olympus camera body color profiles till now.

LR with Camera Natural selected and WB adjusted to grey card and slight exposure correction

and below is the shot in LR 5.3 with the ColorcheckerPassport treatment I normally use in such harsh or difficult lighting:

LR with Colorchecker Passport custom profile

and lastly below is with LR but with the Adobe Standard default selection for color profile.

LR with Adobe Standard color profile applied

In the news article about the new LR 5.3 color profiles much is made about the improvement of Camera Natural for the EM1 as compared to using the prior default profile.

However, I'm finding the Adobe Standard profile is very close to the Colorchecker Passport profile while the Camera Natural profile is not quite as accurate.

I wonder, did the Adobe folks match or try to match the cameras processing profile? I suppose I should WB the original shot of the OOC jpeg and see how it compares to the others.

These are all with the 60mm macro with Face Detect Closest eye btw.

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Lafayette, IN
http://finestimages.zenfolio.com/favorites

John Mason
Like?
Only the E5 in 4/3 land. Here is the list of Olympus cameras supported
In reply to John King, 10 months ago
  • According to this link:
    https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/12/lightroom-5-3-now-available.html

Added Camera Matching color profiles (Natural, Muted, Portrait, Vivid) for the following Olympus cameras:
    • Olympus E-5
    • Olympus E-M1
    • Olympus E-M5
    • Olympus E-P1
    • Olympus E-P2
    • Olympus E-P3
    • Olympus E-P5
    • Olympus E-PL1
    • Olympus E-PL1s
    • Olympus E-PL2
    • Olympus E-PL3
    • Olympus E-PL5
    • Olympus E-PL6
    • Olympus E-PM1
    • Olympus E-PM2
    • Olympus STYLUS 1
    • Olympus XZ-1
    • Olympus XZ-2
    • Olympus XZ-10
-- hide signature --
Malcolm Sales
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to papawupa, 10 months ago

To make your preferred colour profile the default when first downloading from your card.

1 Download an image file

2 Go to Develop Mode, Colour Calibration, Profile (in my case Camera Neutral)

3 Over on Presets click + and create a new preset.

4 Then when you import apply your new develop preset (Apply During Import) and save these settings in the import settings at the bottom of the screen.

I hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Malcolm Sales.

Malcolm Sales's gear list:Malcolm Sales's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,495
Like?
In reply to Malcolm Sales, 10 months ago

Malcolm Sales wrote:

To make your preferred colour profile the default when first downloading from your card.

1 Download an image file

2 Go to Develop Mode, Colour Calibration, Profile (in my case Camera Neutral)

3 Over on Presets click + and create a new preset.

4 Then when you import apply your new develop preset (Apply During Import) and save these settings in the import settings at the bottom of the screen.

I hope this helps.

You can also tell Lightroom to make a particular setup the default for processing raw files of that type. See the Develop menu "Set Default..." I believe.

-- hide signature --
MatijaK
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
Re: Only the E5 in 4/3 land. Here is the list of Olympus cameras supported

No E-3...? Blergh.

Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, 10 months ago

You can right-click on any of your presets and select the option to apply it during import from the context menu.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,998Gear list
Like?

Wow John thanks for this, I saw the article but thought it was only for you micro shooters and didin't realize they included the E5 until I seen your post, thanks again.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
panometrical
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
I'm really happy to see this

Up to now I've been developing and exporting TIFFs from Oly Viewer or as DNGs from DXO optics before working in Lightroom as the images LR was creating from ORFs were flat, dull and colourless . The updated version of LR is downloading now, hope it improves my workflow. Thanks for the samples, John, lovely as always and a great illustration of the changes.

Cheers,

Jim

panometrical's gear list:panometrical's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Nikon D3200 Olympus E-M1 +12 more
DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?

Thanks for posting the comparison. The LR "natural" presets look good to me. Close in fact to your standard settings. Color will always be a bit different, not a big deal in my mind, especially with so many editing tools available.

John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,796Gear list
Like?

Thanks for doing that for me, John. Very kind of you, and much appreciated.

The E-5 colour profile will possibly work with the E-30, but I know it won't with my E-510 and E-1.

I had a pretty rough day yesterday, and an even rougher one today .

As Bill T used to say: "Getting old ain't for sissies". He was right on the money there!

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
John Mason
Like?
Sorry to hear that
In reply to John King, 10 months ago

sigh - Bill T - that brings up memories of some of his later shots

Hope you have a good day today!

I have a hike in the 7 + inches of snow today at 1pm and I'm bringing my dog as are some friends.

I'm hoping for some great doggie pics today!

Hope you are feeling better.

-- hide signature --
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,600
Like?
IQ ?

John Mason wrote:

On the news page there is the news item that Adobe has now finally included color profiles for Olympus cameras.

Colour profiles aside, now that there is 'official' support for the EM1, has anyone noticed any real difference in the rendering of the final output?

John Mason
Like?
I did this shot first with LR 5.3 rc and then with the real 5.3
In reply to Big Ga, 10 months ago

And they were 100 percent identical.  I'm referring to the 3rd shot from my color comparison post where I used my own profile of course.  In terms of rendering, detail, conversion to 2048 jpg export there appears to be zero change from the rc version to the final version.

I find I get more detail when I use DXO (when using both for max detail without artifacts) but I like the overall color rendering of LR better in most cases.  So for portraits I'm typically using LR these days and for landscape, buildings and such I'm in the DXO world.  Also, for some low light stuff, the new prime noise reduction tool in DXO has no counterpart in LR for when I need serious NR.  Most the time the noise reduction slider in LR is enough.

I don't use Capture One so much anymore as it doesn't seem to know out of the box what do to with m4/3 lenses that require correction and most m4/3 lenses require basic corrections to be remotely acceptable (the 12mm f2 pops to mind).

I didn't realize till recently that LR does all these corrections automatically with a m4/3 system lens using the metadata in the raw file including even chromatic aberration (purple fringing) since that info is now being propagated by the EM1 into the raw metadata.  I'll probably be using LR more and more and still have a ton to learn about it.

The other LR plus, of course, is it fully supports the colorchecker passport which I use a lot.

-- hide signature --
John Mason
Like?
I prefer the 3rd one
In reply to DonSC, 10 months ago

The Natural profile was pretty flat.  The 3rd one with the colorchecker passport matches the reality of the shot the best imo.  Those cute reddish cheeks that were there in real life weren't there 'enough' in the Natural profile.

-- hide signature --
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,600
Like?
Re: I did this shot first with LR 5.3 rc and then with the real 5.3

John Mason wrote:

And they were 100 percent identical. I'm referring to the 3rd shot from my color comparison post where I used my own profile of course. In terms of rendering, detail, conversion to 2048 jpg export there appears to be zero change from the rc version to the final version.

Well, so far, that's what I'm seeing as well.

I do recall a number of people saying that any strange artefacts etc were down to the beta versions, and things would get sorted in the final RC. I was doubtful, and my doubts seem well founded! I'm still seeing sparklies and colour moire etc.

Cheers

G.

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,292Gear list
Like?
Lightroom is far from the best at demosaicing
In reply to Big Ga, 10 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

John Mason wrote:

And they were 100 percent identical. I'm referring to the 3rd shot from my color comparison post where I used my own profile of course. In terms of rendering, detail, conversion to 2048 jpg export there appears to be zero change from the rc version to the final version.

Well, so far, that's what I'm seeing as well.

I do recall a number of people saying that any strange artefacts etc were down to the beta versions, and things would get sorted in the final RC. I was doubtful, and my doubts seem well founded! I'm still seeing sparklies and colour moire etc.

Lightroom had one of the worst demosaicing algorithms when I compared different software.

Try any 'problem' shots in RawTherapee to see if the artefacts stay or disappear.  (Using the default "Amaze" algorithm seems best.)  That should at least indicate if the problem is easily resolvable.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads