X-E2 with Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.4 test shots

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
mooshoepork
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
X-E2 with Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.4 test shots
7 months ago

Thought people might be interested in some X-E2 shots with this old Zuiko legacy lens I had lying around.

I'm really liking the combo. Focus ring is smooth as butter.

I'm not much of a photographer, and these are all jpegs from the camera with no PP.

Here's the link

https://peterdavison.exposure.so/xe2-with-olympus-zuiko-50mm-14

Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
Re: X-E2 with Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.4 test shots
In reply to mooshoepork, 7 months ago

This is why I love the X-E's!  I really like the picture with the dog, such a unique look.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mooshoepork
Like?
In reply to PenPix, 7 months ago

Thanks! The bokeh is a little nervous but I'm really impressed with this lens. Especially considering it was free!

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,315Gear list
Like?

Good stuff - I have the f1.8, which is awesiome with this sensor (and I don't have to sharpen in PP). I'd like to see a few more with the f1.4 stopped down a little (say f2), I bet it really sings then.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,801
Like?

mooshoepork wrote:

Thought people might be interested in some X-E2 shots with this old Zuiko legacy lens I had lying around.

I'm not much of a photographer, and these are all jpegs from the camera with no PP.

Here's the link

Please don't get upset with me but those shots look a little out of focus on my monitor.

As long as you're happy, that what really counts but each of your main subjects just don't appear very sharp and well defined.

Hope it's the lens or your technique and not typical of the X-E2.

mooshoepork
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 7 months ago

mooshoepork wrote:

Here's the link

Please don't get upset with me but those shots look a little out of focus on my monitor.

As long as you're happy, that what really counts but each of your main subjects just don't appear very sharp and well defined.

No worries! They are mostly at 1.4 so a bit soft. The sharper one of the two dolls is stopped down...and definitely seems in focus to me.

Does that one seem out of focus too?

Seems fine to me, but I'm sure it's not indicative of the x-e2. Probably moreso the ancient lens/aperture

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,801
Like?

mooshoepork wrote:

mooshoepork wrote:

Here's the link

No worries! They are mostly at 1.4 so a bit soft. The sharper one of the two dolls is stopped down...and definitely seems in focus to me.

Seems fine to me, but I'm sure it's not indicative of the x-e2. Probably moreso the ancient lens/aperture

I agree that one looks the best.

I didn't mean to be as critical as my original comment sounded and I apologize. Part of the problem may be my old eyes.

mooshoepork
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 7 months ago

mooshoepork wrote:

mooshoepork wrote:

Here's the link

I agree that one looks the best.

I didn't mean to be as critical as my original comment sounded and I apologize. Part of the problem may be my old eyes.

No worries!

mooshoepork
Like?

I've actually updated the original link with some more photos.

The flowers are taken wide open and admittedly with razor thin DOF...but the others seem sharp enough to me

57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,315Gear list
Like?

Nice work - these OM lenses are superb on the Fujis. Young fer_fdi on Flickr coined the term "natural sharpness" for their characteristic output and he was dead right; I seldom do any extra sharpening with mine where, on the same day, I may have to sharpen my XF 35 images - that says a lot.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?

Wonderful combo. And all jpegs with little to no PP. That alone is impressive.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?

Last year I tested seven 50/1.4 legacy lenses (Canon FD, Takumar, Nikkor, Minolta, Yashinon, Hexanon and Zuiko). They all have different characters @1.4, but very similar @5.6 (still different colour rendition)

Zuiko was probably the sharpest one.

If interested, you can find my test results on my blog site.

-- hide signature --
mooshoepork
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 7 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

Wonderful combo. And all jpegs with little to no PP. That alone is impressive.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

No PP at all Wifi'd Straight from the camera...I guess the jpegs have some kind of in camera processing though?

vkphoto wrote:

Last year I tested seven 50/1.4 legacy lenses (Canon FD, Takumar, Nikkor, Minolta, Yashinon, Hexanon and Zuiko). They all have different characters @1.4, but very similar @5.6 (still different colour rendition)

Zuiko was probably the sharpest one.

If interested, you can find my test results on my blog site.

-- hide signature --

I remember reading your post! It was really useful. I was really lucky to have the zuiko lying around. I seem to remember you mentioning you liked the focus ring.

I'm looking for an ultrawide next. Maybe 14mm. Any recommendations?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads