A7r focus speeds with LA-EA4 and alpha lenses

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
A7r focus speeds with LA-EA4 and alpha lenses
8 months ago

Hi...I'm an old Minolta shooter and a current RX1 shooter and I've always eyed Sony for, well, a number of reasons. I'm very intrigued by the A7r...less so by the lack of lenses. So, has anyone tried the A7r with older Minolta or Sony A mount lenses? How do they perform? How is the AF? there isn't a lot on the web on this yet...I see lots of legacy lens tests but, honestly, the legacy lenses I want to use are the old Minolta gems like the 100/2 and 85/1.4. They were never speed demons in their day but I'm curious how the adapter performs.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,396
Like?
Re: A7r focus speeds with LA-EA4 and alpha lenses
In reply to Dave Sanders, 8 months ago

Very acceptable Dave compared to LA-EA3…but when I put on the 24-70 OSS E-Mount it seemed much more consistent even in lower light, so yes FE Lens are the answer...

DO NOT like the size/weight of LA-EA4 and A-Mount Lens at all…bulky and heavy, of course I shoot m43, RX1, Superzooms mostly...

IQ is excellent when shots are sharp, but any movement subject or cam creates soft shots indoors, unless shutter is 3X or 4X focal length…I shake/tremble slightly and drink too much coffee!

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sabad
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?

It has been discussed here before by the generous owners of the A mount lenses, they all seem to be happy and some reviews have suggested that this combo focuses faster than the native a99. I am planning on buying the adapter and renting couple of a mounts to test before investing in one.

Dave Sanders
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 8 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

DO NOT like the size/weight of LA-EA4 and A-Mount Lens at all…bulky and heavy, of course I shoot m43, RX1, Superzooms mostly...

Size is one of the reasons why I like the A7r so that is certainly something to consider, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Dave Sanders
Like?
In reply to sabad, 8 months ago

sabad wrote:

It has been discussed here before by the generous owners of the A mount lenses, they all seem to be happy and some reviews have suggested that this combo focuses faster than the native a99.

Now that sounds very promising.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

lim yau tong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,859Gear list
Like?
I did a photoshoot with the A7R+EA4+Sigma 35mm f1.4

organised by Sony and I am impressed with the focusing speed. In fact it is faster then the A99. Below are some of my test shots.

-- hide signature --

yau tong

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +25 more
Dave Sanders
Like?
Re: I did a photoshoot with the A7R+EA4+Sigma 35mm f1.4
In reply to lim yau tong, 8 months ago

That's great to hear, thanks. That's a beautiful model...and I don't mean the A7r 

Anyways, that second to last shot was at ISO 10,000! Impressive.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?

Dave Sanders wrote:

That's great to hear, thanks. That's a beautiful model...and I don't mean the A7r

Anyways, that second to last shot was at ISO 10,000! Impressive.

I have the LA-EA4 and Sony 85/1.4 ZA for my A7R. It is way faster (and it does not even have fast SSM focus motor) in decent conditions than any native E Mount I've seen and I've owned most of them and used them in both Nex-6 and Nex-7. Mirror-PDAF has its issues but LA-EA4 takes the AF of A7(R) good/average DSLR level instead of average-mirrorless these cameras have without it.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +11 more
LTZ470
Like?

Dave Sanders wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Size is one of the reasons why I like the A7r so that is certainly something to consider, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Weighed on scales yesterday 2.2 kilos...have 24mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4...same size and same weight for both with camera and adapter....

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Dave Sanders
Like?
Whoa!

That really does show the size. The adapter is a bit chunky but I must say it looks handsome and the tripod mount build in to it is awesome.

Thanks for the photos!

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Dave Sanders
Like?
In reply to tn1krr, 8 months ago

tn1krr wrote:

I have the LA-EA4 and Sony 85/1.4 ZA for my A7R. It is way faster (and it does not even have fast SSM focus motor) in decent conditions than any native E Mount I've seen and I've owned most of them and used them in both Nex-6 and Nex-7. Mirror-PDAF has its issues but LA-EA4 takes the AF of A7(R) good/average DSLR level instead of average-mirrorless these cameras have without it.

This is very useful information, thanks for that. The 85/1.4 ZA is one of the lenses I have my eye on...how does it perform at 36mp?

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381
Like?
In reply to sabad, 8 months ago

sabad wrote:

It has been discussed here before by the generous owners of the A mount lenses, they all seem to be happy and some reviews have suggested that this combo focuses faster than the native a99. I am planning on buying the adapter and renting couple of a mounts to test before investing in one.

Given that the LA-EA4 has the lowly AF module of the A55 (and yes, I own it, and the LA-EA2 before it), I'd say that deeming it faster than the much more sophisticated A99 AF module is total fantasy. The LA-EA4 and A7 camera focuses decently enough, but at its best, with SMM or HSM lenses, performs like a mid range DLSR. And like an entry level one with motorless lenses.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

Martin Muehlemann
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, 8 months ago

Marla2008 wrote:

sabad wrote:

Given that the LA-EA4 has the lowly AF module of the A55 (and yes, I own it, and the LA-EA2 before it), I'd say that deeming it faster than the much more sophisticated A99 AF module is total fantasy. The LA-EA4 and A7 camera focuses decently enough, but at its best, with SMM or HSM lenses, performs like a mid range DLSR. And like an entry level one with motorless lenses.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

Hi

Given the fact that the LA-EA4 is focussing accurately and fast on my A7r and struggles in low light at the same point where my A99 struggles, I must say, I am really considering to get rid of the A99.

If I focus on a black surface, neither A99 nor LA-EA4 gets focus. The only cam which I managed to get focus was the Canon 5D Mark III.

It does what it is supposed to do and it does it well.

Tested with:
16-35Z
24-70Z
50Z
70-400G2
Tamron 90 USD

Cheers

Martin

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
LTZ470
Like?
Re: Whoa!

Dave Sanders wrote:

That really does show the size. The adapter is a bit chunky but I must say it looks handsome and the tripod mount build in to it is awesome.

Thanks for the photos!

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Yes, the LA-EA4 is a bulky (work around) eyesore, and ergonomically suks for my end use...the LA-EEA3 would be liveable but you lose anything even close to fast AF, it cycles slowly, pulses, and finally achieves AF...so not practical unless you like to Manual Focus...

The m43 to 4/3 adapters are much smaller, lighter, thinner, and I detest them as well, to be honest...ALL adapters are work arounds for me...period...

Need FE Lens...24-70 f/4 and 24mm f/2.8 at minimum to roll out...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Martin Muehlemann
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?

Dave Sanders wrote:

Hi...I'm an old Minolta shooter and a current RX1 shooter and I've always eyed Sony for, well, a number of reasons. I'm very intrigued by the A7r...less so by the lack of lenses. So, has anyone tried the A7r with older Minolta or Sony A mount lenses? How do they perform? How is the AF? there isn't a lot on the web on this yet...I see lots of legacy lens tests but, honestly, the legacy lenses I want to use are the old Minolta gems like the 100/2 and 85/1.4. They were never speed demons in their day but I'm curious how the adapter performs.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

The LA-EA4 is a must IMHO for an A7(r). Otherwise you will loos the access to all the Minolta AF lenses.

LA-EA3 might be good on the A7 which is having on sensor PDAF and AF works only with SSM lenses.

Yes, you get the nasty lightloss back which everyone was complaining ove years when Sony introduced the SLT technology. But hey, the SLT cams work well, the A7 with LA-EA4 too.

I tested the adapter and compared it, not scientific test but a gut feeling, with A99. For me the 24-70Z which is one of the fastest lenses on A-Mount does the same way as on the A99. Maybe with appropriate equipment in a lab you could measure some difference. For me, real life counts more and this works like a charm.

Some people were saying thet AF Microadjust was not possible with adapter. This is not correct. You still can adjust AF for Sony lenses.

So, what does not work? AF Illuminator does not work. I have a ticket open with Sony for this.

What else? Teleconverter will not give aperture control when mounted on LA-EA4.

All AF sensors are clustered in the middle. Yes. And this applies to A99 too. My Canon 5D III does have a better coverage.

Only 15 rather than 19 focus point. Hell, is does not matter. Both A99 and LA-EA4 have the cluster in the middle you got to focus and recompose. And hell, the A8500/900 had the same issue. All in the center. Sony didn't learn over the years. If you hate this, get yourself a Canon 5D3 or a Nikon D800.

Frankly, to get a A7r you get so much more than just a workhorse, you get the flexibility of the A-Mount lenses and the 36Mpix sensor. You can crop at lot and still you can use APS-C e-mount for some specific lenses and get 15MPix.

Cheers

Martin

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?

Thanks so much for the photos. I have been looking for photos of the a7r/LAEA4/SAL85F14Z combo. How does it balance? Is it very front heavy? I am trying to come up with a short tele solution for my a7r.

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7 +31 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Lisa O, 8 months ago

Lisa O wrote:

Thanks so much for the photos. I have been looking for photos of the a7r/LAEA4/SAL85F14Z combo. How does it balance? Is it very front heavy? I am trying to come up with a short tele solution for my a7r.

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

A hand full Lisa and noticeably heavy with the 24mm f/2 or the 50mm f/1.4 on the Adapter...the adapter itself is light, but the mirror bulge on the left hand side is hard to get accustom to...still trying to figure out best way to hold it and Focus Peak at same time...awkward I would say for me...

Again please note, I am accustom to m43 EM1 & RX1 with a grip, so this is a bit different for me...

I am waiting for FE Lens, then the A7r will be fit for purpose for me...FE 24-70 f/4 and a FE 24mm UW would do me just fine...

The smallest bag I have found to fit the A7r-LA-EA4-24mm & 50mm Combo is the Thinktank Digital Holster 10 which is still too large for my wants...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads