Canon G15 won't record in Video mode

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
alpinelakespilot2000
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon G15 won't record in Video mode
4 months ago

I just got my G15 and when I turn the dial to video mode the camera just takes a regular snapshot.

I can do video using the instant video (red) button, but in that case the video will only go for 50 seconds before automatically stopping.

I can't find anything in the manual about this.  Do have have something set wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,065Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon G15 won't record in Video mode
In reply to alpinelakespilot2000, 4 months ago

Your G15 is operating normally. The purpose of the video icon setting on the mode dial is to allow you to preview the 16:9 aspect on the LCD while shooting a video; you will see this change if you turn the mode dial to another creative mode (assuming you're using a 4:3 aspect.) This preview is not available when videoing in other modes (or in the 640x480) aspect.  The SX50 HS operates in the same manner. You are correct that this is apparently not explained in the .pdf manual.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alpinelakespilot2000
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, 4 months ago

thanks so much for your reply, John. I think I see what you are saying.  Happy holidays!

Steve

boogisha
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, 4 months ago

And this is something I can confirm for S120, too. I actually missed one video opportunity because I didn`t know of this, thinking that, while in video mode, pressing the shutter button will start recording - and it just took a picture.

Well, I guess I won`t be making the same mistake again : )

Another interesting thing, at least for S120, is that you can have video settings setup differently in video and (for example) Program mode, so while you`re in Program mode you could set it up so pressing the Rec button will start recording in 1920x1280@30fps, while in video mode it will start recording in 1920x1280@60fps. So, instead of changing the recording settings through the quick menu, you can just turn the mode dial. Neat, I think : )

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,191
Like?
In reply to alpinelakespilot2000, 4 months ago

alpinelakespilot2000 wrote:

I just got my G15 and when I turn the dial to video mode the camera just takes a regular snapshot.

I can do video using the instant video (red) button, but in that case the video will only go for 50 seconds before automatically stopping.

What class SD card do you have?  It should be class 10, stopping recording could be a sign that your memory card isn't fast enough to record the resolution of video.  Also you can record video anytime by hitting the red record button.  If you put the dial mode to video, you get the ability to change video resolution mode as well as other video options if you read the manual including exposure compensation which need to be set at the beginning of recording, cannot be changed, and is not controlled by the dial on top.  Read the manual to see how to set it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads