X-E2, What to think

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
X-E2, What to think
10 months ago

I received my X-E2 earlier this evening, and of course I was in to it immediately. But I have confused feelings about it.

On a limited number of indoor shots with ordinary room light, IQ is surprisingly good. I have read about the performance, but you just don't know until you see it for yourself. With the 27mm lens at f2.8 the jpegs are so good at ISO3200 I realize this is as good as I ever need it to be. Fuji's jpeg engine is apparently terrific, but the sensor must be pretty good as well. The colors and contrast at high ISO are impressive.

The lens performs beautifully. And the AF system in room light is very responsive. It's not D7100-responsive, but it is very good. The menus would take some getting used to, but everything is there, and performance is as advertised.

But this doesn't feel like a $1300 combo. Note that I paid $1199 for a D7100 body, and it is a very substantial camera, for the price. The X-E2 is feather light, and apparently the silver finish is a bit fragile. The camera came out of the box with two rub marks on the bottom that don't come off with spit on the finger. I had expected a bit more feeling of, I don't know, metal I guess. I once had an Olympus that had quite a heft, and even the Nikon V1 feels more substantial. The lens is fine, but the lens cap just begs to be knocked off. I don't like the design of that at all.

The bottom of the X-E2 is a two-piece affair, and the seam running right down the center just doesn't look good. I guess it isn't a problem, but it doesn't have a good appearance as the price suggests it would.

The buttons and dials are all sufficiently tactile, and the camera is easy to hold steady, although I think it would be even better with a little more weight. I had read that the shutter button was uneven, but it seemed excellent to me. No problem.

I think what I have here is a picture taking machine, but unless the sensor is unusually expensive, compared to others, I think Fuji is taking me to the cleaners on the price. Of course, they might say, "If you don't like it go back to Olympus or Nex." That would stop me in my tracks. Those cameras couldn't touch this one indoors. It produces better jpegs than I can get from my D7100, but of course I'm not great at setting up picture controls, which partially explains why I shoot RAW.

If I had it to do over again I would just stick to the Nikon DSLRs for everything until the X-E2 is at the end of model life so I could get it for what people are now paying for the X-E1.

So I don't know how to feel about it, but wow does this thing do eye-popping jpegs. I guess you can forgive a lot for pictures like this.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,116
Like?
Re: X-E2, What to think
In reply to Still Image, 10 months ago

If you already own the D7100, why did you buy the X-E2?  Look at those reasons and see if they still make sense?

The D7100 and X-E2 are both relatively new tech APS-C size sensors so neither one is going to blow the other away purely based on sensor performance.  The Fuji will have some small advantages in some areas, the D7100 some small advantages in other areas.

FYI, I like my X-E1 (I haven't seen the X-E2 in person yet) even though I already own several Nikon dSLRs because the combination of small size and great IQ with the 18-55 can't be matched for circumstances where small, light or compact with great IQ in a zoom is desired.  Nikon just didn't offer something that could do that.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?

I don't get it. You are paying for it to be light. A heavier camera could be cheaper, using less magnesium. The whole point of a mirrorless system is to be small and light. To me, the xe2 feels well-built and light and that is what I want. I've traveled with my xe1, including hiking and climbing trips, and yes, it does get scuffed, but that is cosmetic. It doesn't get damaged. It's not like my Nex 7, which felt like fragile electronics and didn't hold up well.

The "fragile" feeling passes as you use the camera. Enjoy it and take some great shots in low light.

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Filipphotography
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?

Then get the X-Pro 1 then, it's a bit bigger and heavier.

Filipphotography's gear list:Filipphotography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
FrankB2
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

Try adding the Fuji-brand leather half case to the X-E2 or X-E1, it will give it a really nice and slightly more substantial feel, without adding a lot of weight or bulk.  Sure, it won't ever feel like a D7100, but that's the whole idea.  Keep the D7100 for when you want to use big or long lenses or otherwise need fast AF for action, sports, and wildlife type stuff.

No reason why you can't use both.  I actually do just that at times - a D7100 with big glass and one of the Fujis along side with a small lens.

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to FrankB2, 10 months ago

Or put the Fuji hand grip and the EF-X20 flash on it. Bulks up right away. I'm glad the body is light weight. It doesn't feel cheap to me at all.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?

Well, I paid around $1120 for an X-E2/18f2 combo - so for the kind of IQ it can give, it's cheap!

And I do prefer Fuji lens on my X-e2 over any Nikon lens on D7100

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,413Gear list
Like?
I know I shouldn't post in this thread.... but..

I read posts such as this all the time and come away shaking my head.  Common sense told me not to respond but what the hell?

I buy cameras to produce photographs.  I seldom judge a camera by anything other than what it produces.  A smudge on the body, a seam on the base, a battery compartment that may have been better located elsewhere, a viewfinder a tad smaller than I would like, an irritating sound when it is turned on... none of this matters to me... as long as the camera produces images that live up to my expectations.

I don't buy cameras to hold them in my hand and evaluate how it looks, feels or smells.  I suppose to some such things prohibit them from producing good work.. that's a shame.

I think of the tools that great painters and sculptors had to use centuries ago.  I think of the cameras we had at our disposal just 30 years ago... and then read a post such as this... and just shake my head.

One truth remains... there will never be a perfect camera but there will always be those who can do great work with less than perfect tools.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Rudypol
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Re: I know I shouldn't post in this thread.... but..
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 10 months ago

Well said Jim.

Love your images .

Rudy

www.flickr.com/photos/rudyp

www.bellavitaimaging.com

Rudypol's gear list:Rudypol's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
sunnyt
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rudypol, 10 months ago

Rudypol wrote:

Well said Jim.

Love your images .

Rudy

www.flickr.com/photos/rudyp

www.bellavitaimaging.com

Second that!

-- hide signature --

sunny in the darkroom

sunnyt's gear list:sunnyt's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,841Gear list
Like?
In reply to sunnyt, 10 months ago

It is a question of perception , people tend to equate a heavy weight with a quality build but when you carry a heavy DSLR around all day then the lighter weight begins to have its attractions !

Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,176Gear list
Like?
Disclaimer...I am becoming a Fujihead, read without complaining.

I only tried the X-E1 but it felt great!

My mains is a 7D (speaking of heft) but never ever again I am going to lug that thing around for days on a vacation (even with L lenses).

Gimme a Fuji.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Some good responses.

I am not trying to replace a D7100. I have already done that with a D600. Almost as small and better pictures. I like to do BIF and sports, but I have a D800E for that. The D7100 is my "small" camera. I bought the Fuji for family photos, more than anything else. And I believe it will fill the bill. Just a brief handling of the 27mm lens has convinced me it is an excellent one-lens solution with this camera. It isn't a macro lens, but it shoots plenty close for people shots.

Nevertheless, the camera does not have a high quality feel about it, IMO. What I wanted was "FM2" and what I got was "iPhone". But there is something to be said for iPhones. Still, the two marks on the bottom are like an omen. I believe the camera will look old really quick.

For people who feel nothing matters but the photos, you will find this camera easy to like. The photos brought me to this camera. But I still want a good feel to it, and I think I paid enough to get it.

Perhaps it will grow on me. I know the photos will do their part in that. I never want to look at the bottom plate again with that ugly split and all those little screws. But if I can pick up a little speed with the menus I believe I can get a variety of nice photos. You should see the eyes in a photo at ISO2000. You just wonder, "How is this little thing doing that?"

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?

A Leica is about the same size but much heavier, making it harder to hold for long periods without a grip. I have a XE1 for about a year and not a mark on the body. I also have a Garitz leather half case which helps with holding and for tripod work or using bigger lenses I also have a L-Bracket with grip.

Regarding IQ, it is stellar and the main reason for my investment. I stop using my Nikon almost immediately after getting my Fuji and slowly sold everything off over months and have been Nikon free since August. No regrets.

I have held a Leica and of course the Fuji. Yeah, the Leica feels better and could work to hammer a nail if necessary, but my Fuji is much easier to hold due to the weight.

Remember, a camera is only a box that holds a sensor or film attached to a lens. Bigger is not better, bigger is just bigger.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,646
Like?
Well, Jim, I guess you use a view camera exclusively...

Because only the image quality matters.

I think when we spend a lot of money we want something well made, works well, makes great images, lasts a long time, is a joy to use, makes photography easier and more enjoyable.

Post your holiday photos taken with that 8 x 10,

maljo

dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?

You should return it and buy it for $600 next year.

John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,063Gear list
Like?

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

I read posts such as this all the time and come away shaking my head. Common sense told me not to respond but what the hell?

I buy cameras to produce photographs. I seldom judge a camera by anything other than what it produces. A smudge on the body, a seam on the base, a battery compartment that may have been better located elsewhere, a viewfinder a tad smaller than I would like, an irritating sound when it is turned on... none of this matters to me... as long as the camera produces images that live up to my expectations.

I don't buy cameras to hold them in my hand and evaluate how it looks, feels or smells. I suppose to some such things prohibit them from producing good work.. that's a shame.

I think of the tools that great painters and sculptors had to use centuries ago. I think of the cameras we had at our disposal just 30 years ago... and then read a post such as this... and just shake my head.

Got to agree. If you get a new camera and love the IQ and then complain about the camera not weighing enough...I shake my head too.

Of course, if you buy a camera when it is first released, you do pay extra. Simple choice: get it now and pay more or wait a while and pay less. Make your choice and live with it.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,508Gear list
Like?
 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 10 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

A Leica is about the same size but much heavier, making it harder to hold for long periods without a grip. I have a XE1 for about a year and not a mark on the body. I also have a Garitz leather half case which helps with holding and for tripod work or using bigger lenses I also have a L-Bracket with grip.

Regarding IQ, it is stellar and the main reason for my investment. I stop using my Nikon almost immediately after getting my Fuji and slowly sold everything off over months and have been Nikon free since August. No regrets.

I have held a Leica and of course the Fuji. Yeah, the Leica feels better and could work to hammer a nail if necessary, but my Fuji is much easier to hold due to the weight.

Remember, a camera is only a box that holds a sensor or film attached to a lens. Bigger is not better, bigger is just bigger.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

I agree that Leica is purely status, and all about precision hand made equipment. But there is no way a X-E2 can replace a D800E or a D600. It can augment, and if it does everything you want to do it can be your main guy. It cannot do everything I want to do.

While the last part is true, it kinda matters how much money they want for that box. However, as I mentioned before, sensors are a big cost factor for digital cameras. Weak sensors are cheap, and very good sensors are expensive. I don't know how much money is in the Fuji X sensors, but I doubt it is cheap.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to dual12, 10 months ago

dual12 wrote:

You should return it and buy it for $600 next year.

I thought about that, but I would have to be a special kind of aahole. Fuji gave me what they promised. I just didn't understand the promise, and that's on me. I think the build quality is the only real disappointment. However, I am old, so I still remember "build quality". I think it has a different meaning now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads