Now This is Frustrating

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648Gear list
Like?
Now This is Frustrating
8 months ago

Two out of the three items I've ordered from B&H are in stock and have been "sent to warehouse," the E-M1 and the 75/1.8 lens.

This does NOT mean they are being shipped. Instead, as has been explained to me, they won't ship any of these items until ALL of them are in stock, because the two lenses are discounted with the body.

I even offered to have them charge me in advance for the one item not in stock, the 12-40 lens. No go. The biggest frustration is that I'm shooting an event next week that would be perfect for the 75/1.8 on another body and it almost certainly won't be here.

Yes, I could cancel and get in line at another dealer, but that puts me at the back of the line. And, besides, I've always liked B&H.

Henry, if you see this, I understand you have rules. But, sheesh!

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014Gear list
Like?
This is not good
In reply to Jim Salvas, 8 months ago

I'd be going to my local brick & mortar if I was you. Maybe it's not an option for you, but it would make a great solution.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,182Gear list
Like?
Re: Now This is Frustrating

Jim Salvas wrote:

Two out of the three items I've ordered from B&H are in stock and have been "sent to warehouse," the E-M1 and the 75/1.8 lens.

This does NOT mean they are being shipped. Instead, as has been explained to me, they won't ship any of these items until ALL of them are in stock, because the two lenses are discounted with the body.

I even offered to have them charge me in advance for the one item not in stock, the 12-40 lens. No go. The biggest frustration is that I'm shooting an event next week that would be perfect for the 75/1.8 on another body and it almost certainly won't be here.

Yes, I could cancel and get in line at another dealer, but that puts me at the back of the line. And, besides, I've always liked B&H.

Henry, if you see this, I understand you have rules. But, sheesh!

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim, that does stink....  Not Henry from the old Camera Barn?..

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Jim Salvas
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 8 months ago

I was directing that to Henry from B&H. I emailed with him earlier today, to no avail, as far as I can see.

I once bought 10 Apple Newtons from this store on closeout and couldn't get anyone to take them, even as gifts.  I figure they owe me big time.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
Deleted010614
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?

Something is not right with this. I ordered an EM1, Grip, Flash, & 12-40mm at the same time and every item has been shipped individually as it came in stock. Still waiting on the 12-40mm but that will be the 4th box to arrive when it does. I would call B&H back and ask for a supervisor because I have NEVER had a situation like you are explaining from them and there have been a lot of B&H boxes delivered to my door over the past 10 years or so.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Deleted010614
Like?

Another thought, I was asked once "not my current order" if I wanted to wait for all the items to be in stock before shipping. I think it had to do with the free shipping they usually offer. I usually upgrade the shipping so don't normally take advantage of the free stuff they offer. That could be a part of the problem in your case.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Valentinian
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deleted010614, 8 months ago

or, when placing the order, did he maybe check a little square for the option to ship everything in ONE package?

Valentinian's gear list:Valentinian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Deleted010614
Like?
In reply to Valentinian, 8 months ago

Yep, B&H has been nothing but helpful over the years to me. They have way more "yes" answers than "no" when you call them.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,182Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

I was directing that to Henry from B&H. I emailed with him earlier today, to no avail, as far as I can see.

I once bought 10 Apple Newtons from this store on closeout and couldn't get anyone to take them, even as gifts. I figure they owe me big time.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim, I assumed that... Just wondering ig it may be the same Henry as Camera Barn ceases to exist, but if think not.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Jim Salvas
Like?
In reply to Valentinian, 8 months ago

Valentinian wrote:

or, when placing the order, did he maybe check a little square for the option to ship everything in ONE package?

Nope. They actually shipped one item which was not discounted, the 15mm body cap lens (which, by the way, is a lot of fun).

I called. I emailed. No soap. They claim they can't ship because I'm getting a discount for buying the lenses with the body and therefore they must ship together. I'm giving them one more day and then I'm canceling the order.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

Valentinian wrote:

or, when placing the order, did he maybe check a little square for the option to ship everything in ONE package?

Nope. They actually shipped one item which was not discounted, the 15mm body cap lens (which, by the way, is a lot of fun).

I called. I emailed. No soap. They claim they can't ship because I'm getting a discount for buying the lenses with the body and therefore they must ship together. I'm giving them one more day and then I'm canceling the order.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

I had exactly the same situation last year with a completely different store (Wex Photographic in the UK), who also have a great reputation. In my case it was a GH3 and the microphone which is made for it - the mic was on discount if bought with the camera. I would have had to wait for the latter to be in stock before they would ship either.

Like B&H they were immovable. Finally I cancelled just the microphone and the camera was immediately shipped to me. If there was no discount on offer they would have shipped each separately.

So, you could probably do the same if you need the items now they do have in stock.

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Jim Salvas
Like?
In reply to RickPick, 8 months ago

It's weird, but they have given me an incentive to cancel the order for the 12-40 lens. I know if I do that, the other items will ship. On the other hand, I risk losing a $200 discount on the lens.

They're closing for a day in about 45 minutes, so it's probably too late to do anything other than cancel the whole darned order and start someplace else.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

offtheback
Regular MemberPosts: 403Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

It's weird, but they have given me an incentive to cancel the order for the 12-40 lens. I know if I do that, the other items will ship. On the other hand, I risk losing a $200 discount on the lens.

They're closing for a day in about 45 minutes, so it's probably too late to do anything other than cancel the whole darned order and start someplace else.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Try Samy's Camera California.In my experience,good people on phone and accomodating to requests within reason.

pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 653
Like?

B&H is not delaying shipment because they are stubbornly following inconsequential rules, they are delaying shipment because Oly will not compensate B&H for the lens rebates unless the lenses are invoiced together with the body. The mfr structures the Instant Rebate programs, not the retailer. B&H is essentially selling you the lenses below their cost; they then must wait for Oly to refund most (not all) of the rebate amount.

Since Oly will only reimburse B&H for the lens rebates if the lenses are invoiced together with the body, B&H can't give you a rebate on a lens that isn't invoiced with a body. No matter how much they like you and value your business, they can not afford to sell you a lens below cost. If you want both rebates, you have to wait for both lenses to be available to ship with the body.

All instant rebates based on purchasing additional items are structured this way. If the retailer's invoice doesn't match the rebate conditions, the retailer isn't paid for the rebate.

Jim Salvas wrote:

Two out of the three items I've ordered from B&H are in stock and have been "sent to warehouse," the E-M1 and the 75/1.8 lens....they won't ship any of these items until ALL of them are in stock, because the two lenses are discounted with the body...Henry, if you see this, I understand you have rules. But, sheesh!

Jim Salvas
Like?
In reply to offtheback, 8 months ago

offtheback wrote

Try Samy's Camera California.In my experience,good people on phone and accomodating to requests within reason.

Thanks for the suggestion, but Samy's website is not showing the discounts for the lenses and I'd have to pay for air shipping to get this in time from California to PA.

I could just go to Amazon, but then I'll pay 6% tax on the lot, almost a $200 hit.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,797Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

We appreciate your business, your loyalty and your affection. Thank you. Customer service explained to me that your order is a bundle entitling you to a discount. If the in-stock items are shipped now the bundle is fractured and the discount obliterated.

I understand this seems illogical and right now I do not know if this is our programming or something Olympus America imposed on us.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Jim Salvas
Like?
In reply to henryp, 8 months ago

henryp wrote:

We appreciate your business, your loyalty and your affection. Thank you. Customer service explained to me that your order is a bundle entitling you to a discount. If the in-stock items are shipped now the bundle is fractured and the discount obliterated.

I understand this seems illogical and right now I do not know if this is our programming or something Olympus America imposed on us.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Henry

Thank you for responding both here and via email.

Olympus has made this incredibly difficult for both me and B&H. Today I called Olympus and they offered to sell me the outfit, ship the camera and 75mm lens and then ship the 12-40 lens (at the discounted price) when it become available. This is different than the policy Olympus admits it is imposing on its own dealers.

I was amazed Olympus would be willing to undercut its own dealer, in this case, one of the largest in the world.

I'm letting my order stand with B&H and waiting it out. Meanwhile, I'll keep using this nice little PM2, which B&H is offering, by the way, for just $349 in a 2-lens kit.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads