Canon quality control is a joke

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
PineyPhotographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
Canon quality control is a joke
8 months ago

Gotta rant. So I replaced the 330HS that I had stolen just over a week ago, and the replacement camera's lens is not sharp at some focal lengths with blurring on the right side and a stuck pixel on the LCD screen. So now I will have to go back to the store to exchange it. I just hope I will be able to find one that works as well as the one that was stolen. Canon, I wonder how damn hard is it to make the same model camera exactly alike? Surely they're made by machines and tested so WTF cant they get it right?

This is the problem I have, shows up bad around 5-6mm

Hinder
Contributing MemberPosts: 537Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon quality control is a joke
In reply to PineyPhotographer, 8 months ago

I agree, been through four sx280s, same problem with all, nobody testing them before they send them out?  Now they've lost the last one I've sent back, no replacement or a refund, just a "sorry sir".  Buttons and knobs falling off my 5D3 too, went through three 10-22s before I found one that worked. Seems like all the new stuff is crap, my old stuff is still going strong.

Hinder's gear list:Hinder's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PineyPhotographer
Like?
In reply to Hinder, 8 months ago

The frustrating thing was I was lucky the 1st time, it worked perfectly, but it was stolen. Now how many exchanges am I gonna have to go through before I find one that worked like the one that was stolen?

digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?

I feel with the small less costly cameras,all Mfg.s install parts and if the camera turns on sends it to be packed and shipped. They depend on the quality checking of a sample of cameras to say all will be good. This is how all electronics are delt with today.

Many years ago when I bought my first desktop computer a Gateway, they would run each computer a full 24 hours before it shipped. This quality item was dropped as the company ramped up their production later, and depended on a sample of computers being checked before shipping.

averagjoe
Contributing MemberPosts: 642
Like?

Canon's problem is its incessant hunting for headlines with the frequent introduction of new models in what seems like every few weeks. Minor tweaking of a model's shortcomings shouldn't be grounds  for calling it a new model and rolling it out in a million dollar advertising campaign—as is often the case. If Canon spent as much energy and resources on quality control of fewer new models, the results would be far more beneficial—to the users, as well as to Canon's bottom line.

PineyPhotographer
Like?
Avoid MADE IN CHINA
In reply to averagjoe, 8 months ago

Well I exchanged the camera today and the new one is Made in Japan. It felt much more sturdy and less plasticy the minute I picked it up, and everything is sharp just like the original 330HS, which was probably made in Japan as well. The defective camera had MADE IN CHINA on the bottom which probably explains everything. My advice to future camera buyers and to myself will be to make sure it's one of the units MADE IN JAPAN. China's factories probably use inferior materials, if not, the labor is DEFINITELY PAID LESS and is treated worse resulting in an inferior product.

Teppo Hytönen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066Gear list
Like?
In reply to averagjoe, 8 months ago

Well, that's my gripe with a whole lot of companies, especially electronics (cameras, computers, etc) - far too much model clutter!

Focusing on a fewer number of models would seem to make all kinds of sense, but yet no one seems to want to do it. For crying out loud, Canon has a billion Ixus/Elph models alone being sold right now. I don't see how it's not a logistical mess in terms of distribution, service and manufacture to have essentially redundant models just for the sake of having more models.

With all that said, I've never really had problems with Canon QC, but admittedly my only recent Canon purchases are a 600D - no problems so far - and a G15 which hasn't yet arrived.

-- hide signature --

Teppo @ Finland

Teppo Hytönen's gear list:Teppo Hytönen's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +1 more
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?
Re: Avoid MADE IN CHINA

PineyPhotographer wrote:

Well I exchanged the camera today and the new one is Made in Japan. It felt much more sturdy and less plasticy the minute I picked it up, and everything is sharp just like the original 330HS, which was probably made in Japan as well. The defective camera had MADE IN CHINA on the bottom which probably explains everything. My advice to future camera buyers and to myself will be to make sure it's one of the units MADE IN JAPAN. China's factories probably use inferior materials, if not, the labor is DEFINITELY PAID LESS and is treated worse resulting in an inferior product.

Your wrong all the powershots are made from the exact same parts,all are built under Canons direction. The factories in China are some of the best in the world, you could not see any difference from a factory in Japan.

gloaming
Contributing MemberPosts: 666
Like?
In reply to digitalcuriosity, 8 months ago

Agreed.  The same specs, the same spacing, the same chassis, the same shell must fit with the same buttons to effect the various, but same, functions.  It's an internal bias to say one camera made in China feels less 'whatever' than the ones made in Japan.  The corporations wouldn't put up with such pervasive and generalized disparities.   Instead, some people are experiencing problems in items largely assembled by hand.  It's the same in every hobby, from toy trains to RC aircraft.  Stuff happens.

PineyPhotographer
Like?
In reply to gloaming, 8 months ago

The parts are probably all the same, but when the labor is lower paid, mistakes are more likely to happen. I'm certainly not the first person to prefer products made in Japan over China.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads